• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure, it was maybe last e3 if they did.
Edit: part of the smart device app for tpp supposedly.
http://m.officialplaystationmagazin...r-created-missions-as-snake-opens-the-sandbox

Nice one.

“Using tablets and smartphones you can also enjoy MGS V and create user-generated missions within the world.” If you’re given ample tools to create bespoke stealth mini-games within this playground, it could be a game-changing addition for the stealth genre.

I rike it!

Tourmeta

Finally got to play through the main mission, I really enjoy the game and will have fun with side missions for some time. The only issue I had was that it felt lacking in interiors.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey guys, sorry if this has come up lots of times, but the DLC code that comes in the box, is it to be redeemed now, or when TPP comes out? The wording is bizarre, and the code doesn't work for me.

Storm360

Hey guys, sorry if this has come up lots of times, but the DLC code that comes in the box, is it to be redeemed now, or when TPP comes out? The wording is bizarre, and the code doesn't work for me.

Code isn't working here either... I'm gonna try when the game is actually out in UK (Tomorrow)

Going to rent this at redbox this weekend. I heard about it being a extremely short game so Id rather rent than buy and save the cash.

Thats what I did, main mission is fine but I wouldn't replay it more than 2 or 3 times.

However to me Deja Vu ended up being worth $20 alone as an MGS fan so when I return it I will probably buy it now.
Im already on 5 or 6 completions of that mission alone.

DSmalls84

I finished the initial mission last night and one of the side ops. Each mission took about 50 minutes. Really enjoying this so far. The open world gives this pretty good replayability. As much as I enjoyed the MGS2 demo back in the day this is definitely way more in-depth than that was, so I don't really think the comparisons hold up. On PS4 the graphics look great at night, but a little more dated during the day. It does look pretty clean from the high res though. Overall as a Metal Gear fan this has me hyped for TPP. It is going to be amazing to have an even larger open world to explore.

Ade

How much is the digital version on the UK Xbox One Store?

Stuck at work and debating grabbing it from a shop or downloading when I get home...

Edit: NVM its tomorrow its out isnt it :/

Loomba

Just had this delivered even though release isn't until tomorrow, wheyyyy!

Have to finish work before I can play though :(

I know it's a little OT, but Hot Toys just announced the Raiden from Metal Gear Rising action figure. It looks bad-ass:

1978796_10151965655857344_1843959348_n.jpg

After the MGS3 figures and now this one I think it's safe to assume the're going to release figures from MGSV. Can't wait.

Fucking awesome but I already have the PlayArts one :/

That being said, the day they finally announce either an MGS4 old snake or a Ground Zeros one, is the day I finally pick up a Hot Toys figure :)

rvy

Banned
Pretty amazing. Only gripe so far is that the second weapon disappears when you're reloading your primary weapon.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Somehow I've lost all my flares, how do I call a chopper?

Holy shit I didn't know you could call in the chopper with the flares O_O

Pretty amazing. Only gripe so far is that the second weapon disappears when you're reloading your primary weapon.

There's quite a few examples of lack of polish. I've seen bodies just drop out of thin air like ragdolls because the area had to load (and this is on PS4....)

Zomba13

It says on the back "*note that this code is for use with the forthcoming game METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN and cannot be used with METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES."

Holy shit I didn't know you could call in the chopper with the flares O_O

There's quite a few examples of lack of polish. I've seen bodies just drop out of thin air like ragdolls because the area had to load (and this is on PS4....)

I had this happen to two tranquilized dudes and I freaked out because I was trying to extract someone and I thought they were awake or waking.

Did the GZ story twice and played some of the side stuff just so I'm learning the map but I more or less like the new tweaks to the enemies and how they respond. I like the reflex mechanic in theory but half the time it's hurt more than it's helped.

I really like Snake's animations and how they assist movement and the gunplay is pretty smooth. Sign me up for The Phantom Pain.

I was re-playing MGS 4, something I hadn't done since the game's release, and I remembered how much I liked the weapons customization. Haven't paid that much attention to anything Phantom Pain, so I'm hoping that makes its way to the game.

Not sure why all the hate for Sutherland. He sounds like an actual human being rather than an over the top cartoon character.

I liked Hayter in the first three games but after that he got a little carried away with the voice. Especially in Peace Walker

Paz is so tsundere. I don't know why I inflict myself to listening to her diary tapes where she
switches from comically villain to textbook tsundere. I hope I'll get to kill her to make up for all that lost time

I really really really hate the checkpoint system. It feels as if it just put's you in a randomized near-area to where you triggered it. So you could go through a gate, die inside the building and maybe you'll restart inside the building or maybe you'll restart in front of 2 guards under a street light close to the building you died in. It just plain sucks, I hope it's fixed for TPP. The worst part about it is that sometimes when restarting a checkpoint the enemies that you've knocked out may or may not still be kbocked out. It's a god damn crap-shoot. It's probably not touched on in reviews as if you haven't replayed the game multiple times I can't imagine you'd notice. It wouldn't be a problem if you could manually save. But you can't. Game is borderline amazing, it just has very slight misgivings that if they were fixed, the mechanics and gameplay would be so much better. And it's so damn good as is you'd wonder how these small issues are overlooked.

rvy

Banned

It's cross-gen alright. I've yet to see ridiculous stuff, but the streaming is weird.

rvy

Banned
ToraShiro pls

How come the guards don't speak properly? They did in MGS 3. You just hear some grunts and mumbling when you interrogate them now. I hope TPP has voice-acting for this.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Dammit.

Got the game in the mail today.

Problem is, I'm working my way through Peace Walker on Vita right now. While an alright game it's still suffers from slightly awkward controls and camera, I'd say.. And the boss fights so far have been kinda boring.

StuBurns

Banned
Took me fifty minutes, I only got a B ranking.

I think it's a poor game. The sense of awareness moment to moment is really bad, the preemptive alert thing is not very rewarding or interesting, the open area design doesn't providing anything to me.

I'm pretty concerned about TPP.

beastmode

ToraShiro pls

How come the guards don't speak properly? They did in MGS 3. You just hear some grunts and mumbling when you interrogate them now. I hope TPP has voice-acting for this.
The game is a sequel to Peace Walker in more than just story. On a related note, my suspicion is that much of the awe regarding the controls, for example, is from people who haven't played PW on PS3 or 360.

cackhyena

I think it's a poor game. The sense of awareness moment to moment is really bad, the preemptive alert thing is not very rewarding or interesting, the open area design doesn't providing anything to me.

The sense of awareness is bad? Your mean your own? You want a radar to show where every bad guy is, and is looking like the past ones? Makes me wonder if you've ever bothered with any other stealth games.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Did you tag anyone?

game seems to be really well optimized on PS4. This is the first MGS game where the frame rate doesn't drop drastically when enemies go on high alert

I am really liking the game a lot! I rescued the kid yesterday, but I had problems getting into the admin area :( will try again today

Hellshy.

This game is definitely got me looking forward to phantom pain.

Also I was kneeling at the top of a hill and fired a headshot and I could hear the casing hit the ground and continue to bounce down the hill. I know its a small thing but I was impressed at how good it sounded

Am I crazy for thinking if they don't go ridiculous on polish we might see TPP released this holiday season?

After finishing GZ and rewatching trailers, it just seems much later into production that past games did supposedly a year out.

Hellshy.

game seems to be really well optimized on PS4. This is the first MGS game where the frame rate doesn't drop drastically when enemies go on high alert

I am really liking the game a lot! I rescued the kid yesterday, but I had problems getting into the admin area :( will try again today

One thing that I really liked about the game is that you do have a lot of options when it comes to getting into that area. I have finihsed that mission 3 times and did a different way each time.

beastmode

I think the whole in-media-res thing was a mistake. Game's controls and systems are so complicated and sensitive that you need to play around for a while just to not feel like a bumbling idiot. Whole MGS series has had this problem, but it's especially noticeable when the main game is so short. Shame that the game ultimately had to take the weak approach of adding on so much tell-all hud.

Am I crazy for thinking if they don't go ridiculous on polish we might see TPP released this holiday season?

After finishing GZ and rewatching trailers, it just seems much later into production that past games did supposedly a year out.

Why would you want a MGS that hadn't gone through a lot of polishing tests? It's going to be especially important with TPP given its open world nature.

Zomba13

So I got all the XOF patches but there was no trophy pop. I've hit a checkpoint after collecting the last one and no mission unlocked on the mission select and no trophy. Anyone know what's up?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's too artificial, it just feels like cheating. It's unbelievably easy on Normal, making it even easier is almost making it completely pointless.

Is it any more artificial than say the Soliton System? I really like the idea (on paper) of having to put some work in for that kind of information.

Full disclosure: I've not played it... yet.

So, taking tagging out, what was the problem with the moment-to-moment awareness exactly?

It's too artificial, it just feels like cheating. It's unbelievably easy on Normal, making it even easier is almost making it completely pointless.

It's not really cheating because, even at a decent vantage point, you'll still miss a ton of guards. I believe I've only tagged maybe six in one viewpoint?

Hellshy.

It depends on what you are trying to do. I have finished all missions and even with tagging it is hard to do several going all stealth. Its really not that fake. The military use all kinds of real time tactical data for positional awareness.

Top Bottom