• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

StuBurns

Banned
Is it any more artificial than say the Soliton System? I really like the idea (on paper) of having to put some work in for that kind of information.

Full disclosure: I've not played it... yet.
I think people overestimate the use of the radar in previous games. It's nicer to play without it, but it's not like it's some God-like sense of the area, it's just surfacing everything you can view yourself by careful corner checks and the other tools it features.

The Metal Gear games have all essentially been puzzle games, you're given a geometry, a moving set of obstacles and they have a specific area of awareness, and you're tasked with using your toolset to solve and execute the puzzle. Ground Zeroes isn't that at all, to rescue
Paz.........
all I had to do was run without stopping around the edge of the map till I got to the starting location. It's gone from that really fantastic puzzle game series, to this simulation design, and everything is so dispersed, and open.

This is just GZs though, the E3 trailer of TPP does show what looks like much more traditional Metal Gear design, so maybe it'll be there. Maybe it's even there in the Extra Ops in GZ, certainly the GZ map has hidden underground crawl paths, and knee high pipes to sneak under, etc.

FrankWza

Dammit.

Got the game in the mail today.

Problem is, I'm working my way through Peace Walker on Vita right now. While an alright game it's still suffers from slightly awkward controls and camera, I'd say.. And the boss fights so far have been kinda boring.

Yes. Too much praise went to peace walker on vita because of the right stick being usable. It made the game 100 times better to control than on psp. It's still a terrible controlling game though and should be played on ps3 or 360.

Why would you want a MGS that hadn't gone through a lot of polishing tests? It's going to be especially important with TPP given its open world nature.

No not that im saying no polish.
Im saying with an average level of polish for a Metal Gear.

GZ with TPP seem much further along than MGS3,4 and PW seemed potentially slightly more than a year out.

One thing that I really liked about the game is that you do have a lot of options when it comes to getting into that area. I have finihsed that mission 3 times and did a different way each time.

very nice! Looking forward to playing more tonight.

I really like the atmosphere in the base. Jeeps driving around, trucks driving around. It feels lively, there should be more of that. I guess there is more activity during the day compared to night?

So, to those who've played the game: what are those orange-like bars that appear in certain parts of the opening at the bottom of the screen

No not that im saying no polish.
Im saying with an average level of polish for a Metal Gear.

I just think that there are too many games these days that are released with the idea that the polish level is "good enough" and then they'll fix some things later through patching. I'm fine waiting a few extra months for the polish expected from the series.

Ricker

lol I suck...finished with a D...minuses everywhere lol...going to retry it and check the new little side missions....hated it at first but it grew on me,playing on the PS4,I love the atmosphere and it became quite addicting I must say...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think people overestimate the use of the radar in previous games. It's nicer to play without it, but it's not like it's some God-like sense of the area, it's just surfacing everything you can view yourself by careful corner checks and the other tools it features.

The Metal Gear games have all essentially been puzzle games, you're given a geometry, a moving set of obstacles and they have a specific area of awareness, and you're tasked with using your toolset to solve and execute the puzzle. Ground Zeroes isn't that at all, to rescue
Paz.........
all I had to do was run without stopping around the edge of the map till I got to the starting location. It's gone from that really fantastic puzzle game series, to this simulation design, and everything is so dispersed, and open.

This is just GZs though, the E3 trailer of TPP does show what looks like much more traditional Metal Gear design, so maybe it'll be there. Maybe it's even there in the Extra Ops in GZ, certainly the GZ map has hidden underground crawl paths, and knee high pipes to sneak under, etc.

Thanks for that, chief. In a way, I assumed GZ was essentially a room of Metal Gear (here's the room, here is your equipment, deal with it) but writ much larger and with more systems to mess about with. Is that not really the case?

I dunno if I agree about the radar though, it has always been pretty OP. Can you not peak around corners in GZ to compensate...?

I just think that there are too many games these days that are released with the idea that the polish level is "good enough" and then they'll fix some things later through patching. I'm fine waiting a few extra months for the polish expected from the series.

I don't mind the wait because the hype buildup to a main MGS is one of the best parts.
Im just saying I can see it releasing this year personally outside of Konami wanting a spring/summer 2015+ release.

Hellshy.

very nice! Looking forward to playing more tonight.

I really like the atmosphere in the base. Jeeps driving around, trucks driving around. It feels lively, there should be more of that. I guess there is more activity during the day compared to night?

Yeah it seemed that way to me. Seems like activity just grows with each mission.

I just finished the main mission on normal ( on PS4 ). It was good - they really smoothed out the playability here - and the graphics are certainly great. I will definitely go through the mission again on normal ( to get a better rank - I got a C ), and then on hard. And I will do those side-missions.

With that said, though, I can't help but to feel a bit underwhelmed at the length of the mission itself. I can see myself getting at least 10 hours worth of enjoyment out of this, but I just wanted to see more.. environments, I guess? I, too, was left with the feeling of great anticipation towards Phantom Pain. This was a real tease in that sense.

Ah well. I'll get back to it later in the evening.

Hellshy.

Lé Blade Runner;105126551 said:
I just finished the main mission on normal ( on PS4 ). It was good - they really smoothed out the playability here - and the graphics are certainly great. I will definitely go through the mission again on normal ( to get a better rank - I got a C ), and then on hard. And I will do those side-missions.

With that said, though, I can't help but to feel a bit underwhelmed at the length of the mission itself. I can see myself getting at least 10 hours worth of enjoyment out of this, but I just wanted to see more.. environments, I guess? I, too, was left with the feeling of great anticipation towards Phantom Pain. This was a real tease in that sense.

Ah well. I'll get back to it later in the evening.

Yeah it does feel like a tease but a good one if you ask me. I did all mission in several hours but I have a feeling it will take hrs to unlock the bonus mission.

Paz.........

But on a different realm, you are able to see exactly where each enemy is at at (almost) every moment. You are right - the previous MGS games are more like, here's some tools, here's where some guards are, go to this area. That being said, knowing where the guards were at, looking toward, and other things made it a different kind of puzzle.

None of that information is here. GZ forces you to make your own map. Routes change, events happen, and if you chose to run past the guards (how in the fuck could anyone do that considering the guards are all up in your with those watch towers alone), that's because the game gave you options not with tools, but with playstyles.

For example, with the main mission, the first time I planted C4 on a truck, let that sucker go into the distance, and blew it up. Guards checked out that happening while I checked out the first camp, but oh fuck! Here they come, back to their original post.

After shooting out the lights as much as I could, I stalked two guards (something which I never did in the other games, I merely observed them and went on my way), and eventually got the nerve to choke slam both and throw them off the cliff.

Shit, his friends are back (didn't happen on my second playthrough!), so I got spotted, and had to drive like a madman around the base, dodging gunfire and somehow winding up by an AA placement. I went ham.

What I'm getting at is that GZ is still a puzzle - it's just more dynamic, and it's just about where I thought a free roaming MGS game would be at, if not better.

Thanks for that, chief. In a way, I assumed GZ was essentially a room of Metal Gear (here's the room, here is your equipment, deal with it) but writ much larger and with more systems to mess about with. Is that not really the case?

I dunno if I agree about the radar though, it has always been pretty OP. Can you not peak around corners in GZ to compensate...?

You can. R3 while against a corner. The viewpoint of the camera also helps - you can see around you better than the top-down parts of the other games. And you still get warning signs when you get spotted.

I will say this, one of my most liked features from the early GZ demo has been removed, unless like the cardboard boxes they will only be in the full game...

But I remember in the demo, the rep said that when you call in the support helicopter, it will come in BLASTING music over it's speakers, and if you call it somewhere where there might be guards, you will be stating your presence rather loudly. Then the heli came in, blasting "Die Walküre (Ride of the Valkyries)". It was then said that you could customize the music that is played. THIS is what I want, even though it's a minor complaint. PS4 lack of MP3 support will definitely hurt this though...makes me wonder if this feature is still in the game, what kind of a track pool they will pull from. Heck, I'd be fine if the default IS Die Walküre...raining bullets/darts/missles down on unsuspecting foes whilst blasting that sounds too good!
even though I prefer the stealth approach, sometimes ya just gotta be Rambo, Snake style. Snakambo. RambSnake.

I will say this, one of my most liked features from the early GZ demo has been removed, unless like the cardboard boxes they will only be in the full game...

But I remember in the demo, the rep said that when you call in the support helicopter, it will come in BLASTING music over it's speakers, and if you call it somewhere where there might be guards, you will be stating your presence rather loudly. Then the heli came in, blasting "Die Walküre (Ride of the Valkyries)". It was then said that you could customize the music that is played. THIS is what I want, even though it's a minor complaint. PS4 lack of MP3 support will definitely hurt this though...makes me wonder if this feature is still in the game, what kind of a track pool they will pull from. Heck, I'd be fine if the default IS Die Walküre...raining bullets/darts/missles down on unsuspecting foes whilst blasting that sounds too good!
even though I prefer the stealth approach, sometimes ya just gotta be Rambo, Snake style. Snakambo. RambSnake.

iDroid has a menu for that. Someone uploaded music to the game and played a Meat Boy track I guess? So you can customize it. I'll have to look into that more once I'm off work.

EDIT: PS3 version was what he was talking about, I think. Yeah, this might not be a thing until that firmware patch :(

raven777

I don't know about PS4 mp3 situation but for PS3 you can import your own music and use them.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
But on a different realm, you are able to see exactly where each enemy is at at (almost) every moment. You are right - the previous MGS games are more like, here's some tools, here's where some guards are, go to this area. That being said, knowing where the guards were at, looking toward, and other things made it a different kind of puzzle.

None of that information is here. GZ forces you to make your own map. Routes change, events happen, and if you chose to run past the guards (how in the fuck could anyone do that considering the guards are all up in your with those watch towers alone), that's because the game gave you options not with tools, but with playstyles.

For example, with the main mission, the first time I planted C4 on a truck, let that sucker go into the distance, and blew it up. Guards checked out that happening while I checked out the first camp, but oh fuck! Here they come, back to their original post.

After shooting out the lights as much as I could, I stalked two guards (something which I never did in the other games, I merely observed them and went on my way), and eventually got the nerve to choke slam both and throw them off the cliff.

Shit, his friends are back (didn't happen on my second playthrough!), so I got spotted, and had to drive like a madman around the base, dodging gunfire and somehow winding up by an AA placement. I went ham.

What I'm getting at is that GZ is still a puzzle - it's just more dynamic, and it's just about where I thought a free roaming MGS game would be at, if not better.

I've said it before but this seems like the MGS game I've always wanted. I cannot wait to get my hands on it tomorrow.

Xevren

So I got all the XOF patches but there was no trophy pop. I've hit a checkpoint after collecting the last one and no mission unlocked on the mission select and no trophy. Anyone know what's up?

Beat the game again, should pop on the results screen or shortly after.

Solidino

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Pop up.

God, this game is the King of pop up.

This is the power of Fox Engine? I'm really sad.

Bur the gameplay is awesome.

iDroid has a menu for that. Someone uploaded music to the game and played a Meat Boy track I guess? So you can customize it. I'll have to look into that more once I'm off work.

EDIT: PS3 version was what he was talking about, I think. Yeah, this might not be a thing until that firmware patch :(
I don't know about PS4 mp3 situation but for PS3 you can import your own music and use them.
Maaaaan....that is kinda what I thought......so hurt ;_;

But thanks for the halp.

braves01

Banned

Yeah, there's tons of pop up. Its not just bushes and stuff either. I climbed up on a roof to snipe one of the mission targets in a guard tower across the map, and even then it the tower looks empty until three guards pop in after a few seconds (on PS3 at least).

Hidden throughout the base are the logos of every MG related game (I still haven't found all of them) and in one of the armories is a rifle with a special flashlight. Call Kaz when looking at the logos and he gives some fun facts about the main games in the series but for non-canon ones he just acts confused and says he's never heard if it. When you shine the flashlight on the main games in the series they vanish (like the XOF logo in the opening cutscene) but for the non-canon ones they just stay there. For the Rising logo Kaz says he doesn't know what it is and it doesn't vanish when you shine the light on it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm finding the game unfortunately janky in some of the core stealth mechanics. Trying to go pure stealth and getting your run busted because the game dicks you over is kind of frustrating.

It's basic things. Like, for example, while in cover you can't just flip your orientation... just turning direction requires the character to make these big movements that slide you quite far out of position, sometimes completely out of cover! And the way the animation and control works, player often makes these kind of big movements in other circumstances... trying to turn round a corner, or move from one spot to another, sometimes you find yourself quite a bit off course and exposed. Just because he takes like two or three extra steps when it's unnecessary.

Getting in and out of of those crawl space pits might as well be a dice roll. It's just really janky. Pretty much everything you use pops you out of cover. The "peek" rarely works how you need it to. It's generally okay on edge cover, but crouched behind anything, it's pretty pointless.

There's no way to crawl over small geometry sometimes... you have to actually get up, move forward, and then get back down. No way to get down off things from prone. You have to get up and then drop down.

Idk... it's pretty cool but I feel like the core stealth is just undercooked.

Fehyd

Banned
Yeah, there's tons of pop up. Its not just bushes and stuff either. I climbed up on a roof to snipe one of the mission targets in a guard tower across the map, and even then it the tower looks empty until three guards pop in after a few seconds (on PS3 at least).

Hmmmmm I haven't noticed any in ps4. Heck I was surprised at how far away you can see the lights for the Chopper as you wait for evac.

nillapuddin

I made a extremely simple map for the best extraction route for Paz.

I went back up the staircase with the camera, out the door, through the open gate, put her in the passenger side of that huge cargo truck, and drove right past the armored vehicle

like a
Big
Boss

Anyone having luck with the companion app, Ive rescued 10 soldiers but they havent showed up in my app, isnt that how it works?

LOL.

That's one thing I dislike about the game. Really noticeable if your driving a vehicle during daytime missions. It's like GTA 3 level pop up.

Danny 117

not the same achievement but the completing a side op achievement did not unlock for me.

Just an F.Y.I I solved all my achievement issues by power cycling my Xbox One (holding the power button for 10 seconds to reboot)

By the way, does anyone know what the objective under 'No reflex' is for Ground Zeroes? All I see at the completion screen is '???'

Sami+

Hmmmmm I haven't noticed any in ps4. Heck I was surprised at how far away you can see the lights for the Chopper as you wait for evac.

Nah, even on PS4 it's not too good. In Déjà Vu, there's a guard right underneath a surveillance camera - looking at him from far away (near the helipad), he looks fine. But move in closer and suddenly huge boxes randomly fade in between the two of you.

I just blamed cross-gen. :p

Fehyd

Banned
Nah, even on PS4 it's not too good. In Déjà Vu, there's a guard right underneath a surveillance camera - looking at him from far away (near the helipad), he looks fine. But move in closer and suddenly huge boxes randomly fade in between the two of you.

I just blamed cross-gen. :p

That's odd, I've never had that happen, and I think I know the guard you're talking about.

DSmalls84

Was moving a body yesterday and threw it in some brush to hide it. Didn't realize that it would make the cactus explode if you throw someone into it. Also bumped into a container outside of the tent area and the sound attracted guards. Definitely not MGS2 levels of environmental interaction, but there's still some cool touches.

Yup, pop up is seemingly non existent in the PS4 version

Also, just discovered you can load more than one POW at a time! (^___^)

jiggles

Banned
Quick question: Does this game spoil Peace Walker?

I'm only just now getting around to going through it on Vita, so I don't want it spoiled for me. But GZ is here, now, and I'm dying to play it.

derwalde

im still on the fence. on the one hand im a huge MGS fan. on the other hand i dont i have the feeling this is worth 30€ at all and i dont know if i should support this. :-/

Top Bottom