• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

I could be wrong, but in fiction, don't clones seem to rapidly age to their adult stage? Horrible movie, but like when Ripley was cloned in Alien Resurrection.

Accelerated aging doesn't have to kick in so early in his life.
That would be inconsistent with MGS in the sense that Solid Snake being a clone is a pretty huge reveal in the first MGS IIRC. I'm fairly certain he'd have noticed if he looked 18 when he was 12.

And that too obviously:

If Snake was an adult when he was 12 years old, he probably wouldn't have been so confused when he got old really early in MGS4.

pixlexic

Banned
How bad is the texture quality during the daytime missions for PS4 and Xbox One? The textures in the PS3 version is so bad that I am now considering the PS4 version of TPP than sticking to the PS3 version still. Also, is there anisotropic filtering for the PS4 and Xbox One version?

its better but only because the next gen version have slightly higher rez textures. and no the anisotropic filtering is not there.

again notice same exact clouds.

PS4
1911032_681452928577768_2039373623_o.jpg

co1onel

If Snake was an adult when he was 12 years old, he probably wouldn't have been so confused when he got old really early in MGS4.

I think their bodies deteriorate faster, but I don't think they grow up faster. At least that's what I always assumed.

The Flash

Banned
Er-MGS is on the PSN store...?

If you have a PS3 you can play 1-"5"/PW easily right now.

Unless by "Playstation" you mean no 3.

I mean to say that I don't have a PlayStation 1, 2, 3, or 4. I'll get a PS4 eventually but being a graduating senior means that I need to spend that $400 on getting an apartment and such :(

ekim

its better but only because the next gen version have slightly higher rez textures. and no the anisotropic filtering is not there.

PS4

I thought the PS4 version has some simulated sky stuff?
AF is definitely better on the Xbox One version when I compare it to this screenshot.

Muffdraul

PS4

Aside from the whole "demo/price should be lower" thing, the only other issue I have with GZ is that goofy ass subtitle font! Just stick with a nice and simple classic sans serif, you can't go wrong with that.

El Phenicks

Neo Member
I was wondering if I should get this as I am a huge MGS fan. The problem is I really disliked Peace Walker, the characters were too childish or cliched for me and the story wasn't really engaging, it's gameplay must've rocked on a psp but I played it on the PS3 though, so it was mediocre at best.

That being said, not caring the least for Chico or Paz (I like Miller though), will I still be able to enjoy this story ?

Sapiens

That main mission....so short......Want more.

Otherwise, I'm impressed so far. Kind of sucks having to subsidize TPP, but such is AAA game dev in the modern world. I look forward to dinking around with the side missions this weekend while my partner works and does not have to watch me play absurd vidja-games.

Mature

I was wondering if I should get this as I am a huge MGS fan. The problem is I really disliked Peace Walker, the characters were too childish or cliched for me and the story wasn't really engaging, it's gameplay must've rocked on a psp but I played it on the PS3 though, so it was mediocre at best.

That being said, not caring the least for Chico or Paz (I like Miller though), will I still be able to enjoy this story ?
Yes.

Betty

Banned
KJ totally lied about the sky. its the exact same on all the three versions I have,

I'm fairly sure the mission where you have to destroy the anti-aircraft guns has the sky Kojima mentioned. I was bummed out when I noticed the first few daylight missions had a static sky, but the anti-aircraft gun mission was the real deal.

Kojima didn't lie.

Muffdraul

In the same boat. I couldn't get into PW at all, and GZ being PW2 is a real turn off. However after playing it, I'm completely won over by the top notch MGS game play. Highly recommended.

KORNdoggy

I've been watching playthrough's of this and i just DO NOT like kiefer as snake. With hayter you could hear that he actually gave a shit. Kiefer sounds like he doesn't. It's like nolan north does his "everyman" voice in quite a few games, but you can hear the passion in his voice when he's drake. But you can't when he's that guy in dark void. I don't think i could play this or potentially even phantom pain because of that. I really REALLY hope this is kojima trolling us and hayter is an optional second voice over, otherwise i feel like a character i've grown up with has essentially died. It doesn't help that kiefer is playing it so straight despite the script and story being ridiculous and campy. Hayter way a gravelly voiced cliche, but it made perfect sense in the MGS world.

pixlexic

Banned
But there was this comparison video where he clearly showed the special sky... What versions do you have?

ps3 ps4 and xbone.

I'm fairly sure the mission where you have to destroy the anti-aircraft guns has the sky Kojima mentioned. I was bummed out when I noticed the first few daylight missions had a static sky, but the anti-aircraft gun mission was the real deal.

Kojima didn't lie.

going to check it out now again.

Wounded

I think best case scenario is Kiefer voices Big Boss, which IMO is fine, because they need to seperate the characters. When Solid Snake turns up he needs to be Hayter.

That sound, liking Hayter's cartoony voice is totally fine, but the extent it got to in Peace Walker and MGS4 was pretty extreme. If they really want to pursue some of the storylines they seemingly are in TPP I think it would be far better if he sounded like he did in MGS1, which to me, was by far the best he sounded.

Superman

Is this available to download at midnight off of UK PSN for PS4? I can't find out anywhere... Located the PS3 version... Not the PS4 one.

Raynes

I think best case scenario is Kiefer voices Big Boss, which IMO is fine, because they need to seperate the characters. When Solid Snake turns up he needs to be Hayter.

That sound, liking Hayter's cartoony voice is totally fine, but the extent it got to in Peace Walker and MGS4 was pretty extreme. If they really want to pursue some of the storylines they seemingly are in TPP I think it would be far better if he sounded like he did in MGS1, which to me, was by far the best he sounded.

No, by the time Solid Snake shows up in Big Boss' life, Richard Doyle needs to voice him. The way BB looks now, we associate that look with Hayter's voice, and the Solid Snake commander look with Richard Doyle.

Betty

Banned
Here's a PS3 video of that mission with the same static sky in every daylight last gen/Xbone versions.

And here's what the PS4 version looks like. Fixed.
I picked the best moments to show the sky, but watching either from the start of the mission is also eye opening.

The difference is astounding, the shade and shadows are much deeper on the PS4 thanks to the better sky, and the clouds actually move. It's such a gorgeous feast for the eyes.

yep that one mission has a different sky. but I was under the impression they all were suppose to have it. and it is nothing special .. just odd looking.

Really? I think it looks amazing, it just feels so much different than the usual static weather, and the deep black colors and brushed blue sky just pop out so well.

Wounded

No, by the time Solid Snake shows up in Big Boss' life, Richard Doyle needs to voice him. The way BB looks now, we associate that look with Hayter's voice, and the Solid Snake commander look with Richard Doyle.

I did really like Richard Doyle, but I don't think that's going to happen. Keeping Kiefer and having him talk to Solid Snake would still be a decent alternative.

pixlexic

Banned
What? You need to check again, the PS4 version definitely has the sky that was shown in at least one day-time mission that I can confirm.

Edit: Beaten

yep that one mission has a different sky. but I was under the impression they all were suppose to have it. and it is nothing special .. just odd looking.

the main difference an d why i am getting the ps4 version of the phantom pain is the resolution factor. other than that the 3 versions are really very similar. I hope they take the next near to really up the ps4 version in the areas that seem to come over directly form the last gen versions.

JB1981

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Kaz in this game is possibly the most annoying character I've ever experienced in a game period.

He just won't shut the fuck up.

BOSS YOUR iDROID IS UPDATED WITH THE TARGET LOCATION
REMEMBER BOSS THIS IS A SNEAKING MISSION
BOSS THE TARGETS WERE WAR CRIMINALS *goes on to explain war criminal deeds for 2 minutes*
BOSS YOU CAN SET YOUR HELICOPTER MARKER WITH YOUR iDROID
BOSS YOU CAN LISTEN TO TAPES WITH YOUR iDROID

And his lines in Deja Vu were fucking painful to listen to.

Kaz in this game is possibly the most annoying character I've ever experienced in a game period.

BOSS THE TARGETS WERE WAR CRIMINALS *goes on to explain war criminal deeds for 2 minutes*

Something, something, damn
fiddle

pixlexic

Banned
Here's a PS3 video of that mission with the same static sky in every daylight last gen/Xbone versions.

And here's what the PS4 version looks like.

I picked the best moments to show the sky, but watching either from the start of the mission is also eye opening.

The difference is astounding, the shade and shadows are much deeper on the PS4 thanks to the better sky, and the clouds actually move. It's such a gorgeous feast for the eyes.

it is misleading.. its only in that one stage. and the shading isn't different. they all have the blue glow .. its just more pronounced because the resolution differences.

Muffdraul

Robin Atkin Downes is one of my most despised voice actors. He's the epitome of generic and... I dunno, maybe "over cooked" is the term I'm looking for. Dude has the range of a tweezer. He was pretty good in Halo 2, though.

Sub_Level

Robin Atkin Downes is one of my most despised voice actors. He's the epitome of generic and... I dunno, maybe "over cooked" is the term I'm looking for. Dude has the range of a tweezer. He was pretty good in Halo 2, though.

Even if Kaz was played by a god tier voice like Morgan Freeman, this game makes the same mistake that MGS4 did with Otacon in that it gives you codec talks during gameplay. It makes replays hellish on the ears. In Splinter Cell you could at least disable the voice audio when you got tired of Lambert and Grim banter but here? No. Compared to GZ Kaz, MGS4 Otacon isn't even that bad.

Erigu

I love the salt from fans about Hayter being gone.
I'm sure they'll keep looking for him even after the game is released.
(Hey, maybe he also voices the 17th colossus, guys! Never give up!)

Accelerated aging doesn't have to kick in so early in his life.
In fact, it wouldn't make sense for it to do so, here, considering Snake doesn't find out about that until after Metal Gear Solid.

Played for fifteen minutes on ps4 and was quite disappointed by the graphics and tech. This game screams last gen. The poly count is low, textures are low resolution and there's a lack of interactivity and destructability with the environment. I really hope TPP will be next gen.

Loved the feeling of the game though, this part is nailed.

Because of the disappointment I ordered second sons just for playing a beautiful game.

Sub_Level

I think after TPP we start to see young SolidSnaku games

*Phantom Pain ends with a young Solid Snake climbing out of the Outer Heaven dock*

The goosebumps are already felt.

Played for fifteen minutes on ps4 and was quite disappointed by the graphics and tech. This game screams last gen. The poly count is low, textures are low resolution and there's a lack of interactivity and destructability with the environment. I really hope TPP will be next gen.

Because of the disappointment I ordered second sons just for playing a beautiful game.

Yeah it is definitely cross-gen. Oh well.

nillapuddin

Feeling like they should really commit TPP to next gen only

if its later than mid next year, "next gen" should be the only focus

the game will suffer if it doesnt

I do think the models could be improved, especially Snake seeing as we are looking at him the most.

I mean its hardly bad but it could be improved a lot. Texture resolutions and polygon counts. Some next gen hair tech

Someone has to relate that suff, Snake is likely not in the budget.
Miller is awesome in Deja Vu.

Child soldiers seem to be a huge theme in this game.

I would not be shocked to see a young Snake, maybe even playable. 12 year old bad ass Solid Snake? Sign me up

MormaPope

Banned

The biggest oversight with Ground Zeroes was not allowing the player to turn off tutorial icons and audio tutorial stuff.

El Phenicks

Neo Member
In the same boat. I couldn't get into PW at all, and GZ being PW2 is a real turn off. However after playing it, I'm completely won over by the top notch MGS game play. Highly recommended.

Exactly what I was feeling, thanks!

I'm feeling this(TPP included) might be the true successor to MGS3 I was looking for in PW.

Betty

Banned
it is misleading.. its only in that one stage. and the shading isn't different. they all have the blue glow .. its just more pronounced because the resolution differences.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong, PS4 clearly has darker shading thanks to the dynamic sky and overall has a much more realistically lit environment as a result too.

iIrIxoKL0tbWh.gif

iIEBzo1eK1WCF.gif

StuBurns

Banned
So the special sky is just on the one mission?

It's not very good looking on PS4, but I wasn't disappointed in the visuals personally. The ending cutscene in the main mission looks great.

Top Bottom