• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Loxley

I just S Ranked the main mission on Hard in just under 30 minutes on my first try, was surprisingly easy - all things considered. Really, once you begin to familiarize yourself with the map and guard placements, moving around the map is a much more confident experience.

Also, going into the music section on the iDroid and making it so the helicopter blasts Flight of the Valkyries when it descends is as awesome as I hoped it would be.

Alienous

They went to the extra mile of getting Kiefer to record the handful of snippets of old dialogue for the MGS1 mission when it would have been much easier and cheaper to reuse voice clips from the PSX games, or Twin Snakes if audio quality were a concern.

Kaz impersonates Meryl

Your argument is invalid.

Raynes

They went to the extra mile of getting Kiefer to record the handful of snippets of old dialogue for the MGS1 mission when it would have been much easier and cheaper to reuse voice clips from the PSX games, or Twin Snakes if audio quality were a concern.

Exactly, the only reason they'd go out of their way to do something so unnecessary like that is to make us feel like something is not right.

MormaPope

Banned
I just S Ranked the main mission on Hard in just under 30 minutes on my first try, was surprisingly easy - all things considered. Really, once you begin to familiarize yourself with the map and guard placements, moving around the map is a much more confident experience.

Also, going into the music section on the iDroid and making it so the helicopter blasts Flight of the Valkyries when it descends is as awesome as I hoped it would be.

I found this song to generate the most feels when it comes to helicopter extractions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g (The best is yet to come)

GHG

2 questions:

Is this worth playing if I'm new to the series and have never played through an MGS game fully before?

How big is the digital download from the US PSN?

SpokkX

Just completed the main story for the first time

Omfg, Kojima still got it! Mgs is one of my fav games ever but mgs4 was quite a letdown

Mgs5 is now, easily, my most anticipated game

Everything about the game just feels great, love the controls and gameplay systems

Just amazing

MormaPope

Banned
2 questions:

Is this worth playing if I'm new to the series and have never played through an MGS game fully before?

If you like stealth games that involve manipulating AI or having to find/create the most efficient paths, Ground Zeroes will be for you. Getting discovered in Ground Zeroes turns the game into a really well done action game, set piece moments get created from how you play the game. If you like challenging stealth games, turn off visual aides that show where damage comes from, where you're being detected. And turn off reflex mode as it can break the game difficulty wise at times.

kmax

Solid Snake will be about 12 years old in The Phantom Pain. Would be funny to see the little kid have "the voice" down already.

With that acquired throat cancer he developed in the later games, I'm guessing that he started smoking in his younger years.

Hayter as a 12 year old Solid is a lock.

jk

Just completed the main story for the first time

Omfg, Kojima still got it! Mgs is one of my fav games ever but mgs4 was quite a letdown

Mgs5 is now, easily, my most anticipated game

Everything about the game just feels great, love the controls and gameplay systems

Just amazing

I know them feels man.

2 questions:

You are missing out if you haven't played the others,
but gameplay wiseits amazing and one of the more addicting games in recent memory.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The map is completely drilled into my head at this point.

Very used to the controls now.

One interesting nuance I found is that you're a little "invisible" when finding cover behind a wall, even if what you're finding cover against has gaps that any normal person would be able to see you through.

I really like the weapon sway and bullet drop on the tranquilizer. It seems like I make the headshots I go for but have to shoot multiple times to land hits at long distances. The assault rifle is maybe a little bit too accurate but whatevs. The sniper rifle is hilarious to use combined with the snap lock-on targetting and infinite sprint. On Normal you can take out the whole base with that shit.

Love this shot. Wish it wasn't so compressed.

tmp_20140320182610122ywdzb.jpg

Solid Snake will be about 12 years old in The Phantom Pain. Would be funny to see the little kid have "the voice" down already.

I could be wrong, but in fiction, don't clones seem to rapidly age to their adult stage? Horrible movie, but like when Ripley was cloned in Alien Resurrection.

Haha, I meant at the end or an after credits scene. I think it's likely it'll lead into Metal Gear 1.
Having the ending jump forward to somewhere near the beginning of MG1 would be ideal seeing as making another Big Boss game to fill in the 11 year gap after Phantom Pain would be kind of overkill. But then leaving it unaddressed would be even worse.

Follow up on an earlier post

Just got MGS 2 & 3 for 360. Any tips before I start playing?

Play MGS 1 first if possible (if you can't just read a detailed plot summary, that's what I had to do unfortunately. But you need to know the events of MGS1 for MGS2 to make sense) and then start with MGS2.

With MGS2 I would highly recommend starting with some of the VR Missions so you get used to the controls and gameplay, it helps a lot.

Holiday

Banned
I was just about to ask about this since I remember seeing it done in one of the Phantom Pain trailers.

I like how there's quite a few manuevers you can do just with a few buttons + directions.

As far as I know there's

Hold Up: Aim at enemy from behind to hold them up, use interrogate to have them lie down. The help tip said they will stay there until they are called. So if no one patrols that area or calls for them (due to not responding to a radio call) they should theoretically stay there for the entire mission.

Throw: Movement direction plus R2. Quickly throws the enemy and the stun lasts less than a tranquilizer. Help tip says the stun is maximized when you throw them into a wall but the same thing can happen with the 5 hit combo so I'm not sure just how much time is added by wall stun.

Grab/Restrain: Press R2 near an enemy to hold them. You can interroagate for information, use them as a bullet shield, sleeper hold them or kill them. Not sure what the stun time on the sleeper hold is. To fire your weapon from this position hold L2. You will raise your gun and can then let go of R2 so you can use it to fire. When you want to return to the hold let go of L2 then hold R2 to maintain your grab. Unknown how the sleeper hold stun time ranks among the others, the help tips state that the 5 hit CQC combo does the most stun time (longer than tranquilizer).

5 hit combo: Press R2 multiple times near an enemy WITHOUT moving the analog stick to do a 5 hit CQC combo. According to the help tip this has the longest stun time, even longer than a tranquilizer. You can punch/kick enemies if they are near walls as well so I'm not sure if that adds to stun time and if so how much. I guess 5 hit combo + wall stun has the highest stun time of all moves.

Disarm: Press R2 near an enemy WITHOUT moving the left analog stick then press L2 to disarm your opponent. I still need to test this myself but I'm assuming they go into the Hold Up status afterwards so you can probably interrogate and force them to lie down.

One thing missing from 4 I think is the ability to sleeper hold someone while lying prone (sleeper hold on top of them).

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks for this, was really helpful.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Follow up on an earlier post

Just got MGS 2 & 3 for 360. Any tips before I start playing?

Play the VR missions in MGS2 before playing the main game. At least do the Sneaking levels. You probably won't enjoy the story your first time through, for most it takes repeated playthroughs and prior knowledge of the first MGS game to really appreciate it. I suggest you play MGS2 on Normal and MGS3 on Hard.

I could be wrong, but in fiction, don't clones seem to rapidly age to their adult stage? Horrible movie, but like when Ripley was cloned in Alien Resurrection.

There's obviously no universal standard. But, in the Metal Gear fiction the clones are designed to age quickly so that if they were ever found out and captured the enemy wouldn't have much time to study them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FUUUUUUUU--

A rank and ONE alert because I 180'd and got caught by the spotlight I juked thinking the APC on my main escape route with Paz wouldn't have moved. 38 mins of knocking guards out with tranqs, saving the hostages in Chico's group AND Chico, knocking lights out on the route I was gonna take with Paz AND no Reflex taking/alerts and kills... for nothing.

FUUUUUU.

pixlexic

Banned
the sky is exactly the same on the ps4 version as on the other versions. that first pic of just blue was a bug. there is no difference.

I have 3 versions. ps4 ps3 and xbone.

Dibbz

Came into this on a media blackout. Holy shit was that fantastic. The new animations, the new cover system, the way the AI reacts realistically to spotting you, the amazing open level, the music, the god damn graphics. Dat voice though, I had no idea who Kaz was talking to for a few seconds. Not sure if it will grow on me.

Kojima productions still got it, as if any doubted since Peace Walker was fucking sex.

The Flash

Banned
Play MGS2 first (and MGS1 before that if you haven't already)

Play MGS 1 first if possible (if you can't just read a detailed plot summary, that's what I had to do unfortunately. But you need to know the events of MGS1 for MGS2 to make sense) and then start with MGS2.

With MGS2 I would highly recommend starting with some of the VR Missions so you get used to the controls and gameplay, it helps a lot.

Play the VR missions in MGS2 before playing the main game. At least do the Sneaking levels. You probably won't enjoy the story your first time through, for most it takes repeated playthroughs and prior knowledge of the first MGS game to really appreciate it. I suggest you play MGS2 on Normal and MGS3 on Hard.

I don't have a PlayStation console so I'm just going to have to read a summary of MGS1 unfortunately. I will do the VR missions for MGS2 first though since I've never played a proper stealth game like this before. Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to finally discovering why MGS is as big as it is.

jsnepo

the sky is exactly the same on the ps4 version as on the other versions. that first pic of just blue was a bug. there is no difference.

I have 3 versions. ps4 ps3 and xbone.

How bad is the texture quality during the daytime missions for PS4 and Xbox One? The textures in the PS3 version is so bad that I am now considering the PS4 version of TPP than sticking to the PS3 version still. Also, is there anisotropic filtering for the PS4 and Xbox One version?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't have a PlayStation console so I'm just going to have to read a summary of MGS1 unfortunately. I will do the VR missions for MGS2 first though since I've never played a proper stealth game like this before. Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to finally discovering why MGS is as big as it is.

Er-MGS is on the PSN store...?

If you have a PS3 you can play 1-"5"/PW easily right now.

Unless by "Playstation" you mean no 3.

One quick question:
I collected all the XOF badges and quit to main menu but Deja Vu still hasn't unlocked. Do I have to finish a mission? :/

(edit) spoiler'd just in case.

Roto13

If Snake was an adult when he was 12 years old, he probably wouldn't have been so confused when he got old really early in MGS4.

Top Bottom