• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

cackhyena

I think it looks pretty good on ps4. Especially the lighting. Love the focus coming in and out when you are peaking around a corner.

benzy

Oh that's weird...

Can someone take a screenshot to show what it looks like?

I finally got some shots. I'm gonna tweet Kojima and ask him if we can have the option to disable DOF blur in TPP for next-gen versions. It looks nice during gameplay but I also wanna see Snakes details up close. Or if they can adjust the DOF so we can get it to focus on Snake instead of the background when zoomed in on him would be great too.

your ps3 screen

13206532345_118d8ec75tkieh.png

ps4

img_2706pmcpl.jpg

Even at this distance there's still some DOF blur applied to Snake's model, so some of his texture details gets washed out and he appears "hazy".

img_27094zdjx.jpg

Compare that to your ps3 screen.

13206695153_ec5bb25287dd3v.png

Here the gun was able to take most of the DOF effect, so his face is more in focus.

img_27116yicr.jpg

Muffdraul

Even if Kaz was played by a god tier voice like Morgan Freeman, this game makes the same mistake that MGS4 did with Otacon in that it gives you codec talks during gameplay. It makes replays hellish on the ears. In Splinter Cell you could at least disable the voice audio when you got tired of Lambert and Grim banter but here? No. Compared to GZ Kaz, MGS4 Otacon isn't even that bad.

I agree that shit is super annoying, but for me personally, it's exacerbated by how much I just loathe that jagoff's voice no matter what he's saying. He could be telling me I just won 500 billion dollars in the lottery, and I'd still want him to shut the fuck up.

SJRB

Gold Member
If we're talking about crossgen title, I find tomb raider DE a lot more impressive in the graphics department.

Tomb Raider is not a crossgen title, it's a last-gen title that got a year of additional development time aimed specifically at next-gen consoles.

Apples and oranges.

I finally got some shots. I'm gonna tweet Kojima and ask him if we can have the option to disable DOF blur in TPP for next-gen versions. It looks nice during gameplay but I also wanna see Snakes details up close. Or if they can adjust the DOF so we can get it to focus on Snake instead of the background when zoomed in on him would be great too.

your ps3 screen

13206532345_118d8ec75tkieh.png

ps4

img_2706pmcpl.jpg

Even at this distance there's still some DOF blur applied to Snake's model, so some of his texture details gets washed out and he appears "hazy".

img_27094zdjx.jpg

Compare that to your ps3 screen.

13206695153_ec5bb25287dd3v.png

Here the gun was able to take most of the DOF effect, so his face is more in focus.

img_27116yicr.jpg

Thanks for the shots! I definitely don't like that... I get a ton of enjoyment out of getting the camera as close as possible on the character in games and examining the model, and MGS tops the list of games I like to that with. I hope like you said there is a way to disable it in TPP.

DocSeuss

Beat it in 112 minutes, and only because I messed up at one point and missed an area. Would have been closer to an hour and a quarter if I'd not messed that up.

Wow, that's the worst camera ever. There were times, especially when I was carrying someone, that Snake and the person he was carrying filled up the entire screen.

Compared to the series... well, this actually has good controls, so that's a first. It's also got stealth that isn't half-bad. Again, the best in the series. Would like a better silenced pistol and enemy tracking.

Not worth $30. Even with the side stuff, it's nowhere near as content-full as Blood Dragon, which was actually worth the $15 it shipped for. First game in the series with a truly good take on the model of stealth they've been trying for ages. If it had had waaaay more content and a less-awful camera, I might have considered it for game of the year.

Phantom Pain might actually end up being the first full-blown Metal Gear game where the gameplay actually matches the aesthetics, rather than being a crappy game in a shiny package.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Kaz in this game is possibly the most annoying character I've ever experienced in a game period.

He just won't shut the fuck up.

BOSS YOUR iDROID IS UPDATED WITH THE TARGET LOCATION
REMEMBER BOSS THIS IS A SNEAKING MISSION
BOSS THE TARGETS WERE WAR CRIMINALS *goes on to explain war criminal deeds for 2 minutes*
BOSS YOU CAN SET YOUR HELICOPTER MARKER WITH YOUR iDROID
BOSS YOU CAN LISTEN TO TAPES WITH YOUR iDROID

And his lines in Deja Vu were fucking painful to listen to.

Worse than the Guild Master in Fable?!

"Your health is low. Your health is low. Your health is low. Your health is---"

braves01

Banned
Deja Vu related: LOL
when scanning the Metal Gear Solid Touch logo down by the prison camp with the special light, it doesn't disappear and Kaz says, "Looks like it's nothing special". Lol at least we know what Kojima thinks about the MGS mobile games!

valtiel

Banned
I wonder if TPP will allow custom soundtracks for the helicopter extraction. That would be awesome hearing your own favorite song knowing Morpho about to save your ass.

Kaz in this game is possibly the most annoying character I've ever experienced in a game period.

He just won't shut the fuck up.

BOSS YOUR iDROID IS UPDATED WITH THE TARGET LOCATION
REMEMBER BOSS THIS IS A SNEAKING MISSION
BOSS THE TARGETS WERE WAR CRIMINALS *goes on to explain war criminal deeds for 2 minutes*
BOSS YOU CAN SET YOUR HELICOPTER MARKER WITH YOUR iDROID
BOSS YOU CAN LISTEN TO TAPES WITH YOUR iDROID

And his lines in Deja Vu were fucking painful to listen to.

I was not very good at the "Eliminate the renegades" mission early on, so every time I screwed up and started over, it was killing me having to re-hear "This dude is so and so 'The Eye' and blah blah blah" just so I could mark and track them when I had to.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If it doesn't look that terrible then why not. Same reason I prefer to have the games on their original console platform and prevented me from buying HD remasters.

Except the PS3 is not the original platform for the game. Heck even Kojima said the place to play it is PS4.

Branson

If it doesn't look that terrible then why not. Same reason I prefer to have the games on their original console platform and prevented me from buying HD remasters.
I just don't understand not buying the best version of the game if you have the hardware available. It's not even a matter of where your friends are since this is a sp only game. It's a waste if you go for the ps3 version instead of ps4 if you have one. It's just weird.

Branson

Deja Vu mission:
When you change to the old MGS1 Snake skin it starts snowing and the guards change to the white ones from MGS1. I want to play the rest of the game with this skin in all of it!

Salaadin

That feeling when you get spotted for the first time with Paz on your shoulders, 2 minutes away from clearing S rank.
Feels bad, man :(

jsnepo

So you'd rather play peace walker on psp than ps3? That's craziness.

Actually I do but on the Vita. I did play the HD remaster first and found that even though the framerate and resolution is definitely improved, it also highlighted some of the graphical issues like low texture quality.

I understand you guys preferring the better looking version though.

FrankWza

I have an issue with the text and voiceover. If you are listening to Kaz but also want to snoop in on a conversation between guards or hear hq's response the text and voice of one is not visible or audible. I'd like to see them fix this for TPP. I know with the audio kaz will have to dominate but with the text they can make them parallel to each other. I like to have subtitles on in my games anyway but in this game it's so important to hear what is going on.

As far as hayter/keifer they should have incorporated his voice change into the
Crash and coma
somehow. This would give Sutherland BB from here forward.

cackhyena

So these prisoners in the side missions. Should I be bothering with them, or will they always show up and only count as the ones I saved in the main mission?

AlexIIDX

So I
rescued the refugee thats supposed to be executed,
why haven't I gotten Tape #4? I also got all 9 patches and the last mission is still locked????

Actually I do but on the Vita. I did play the HD remaster first and found that even though the framerate and resolution is definitely improved, it also highlighted some of the graphical issues like low texture quality.

I understand you guys preferring the better looking version though.

I prefer Peace Walker on PSP too actually, you're fine :)

Just started the game and I want to experience everything ( all side missions) etc on my first play through. Should I just ignore the current objective when you first start the game and go look around for stuff?

Right. Finished the main story in 96 minutes but wasn't disappointed at all. I got a B rank overall just so you guys know how bad I was.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though, I hope to play through it enough to get all the trophies eventually. After rescuing
Paz (is that a spoiler?)
I got caught and attacked way too many times to feel like I did well. Hopefully I'll get better before TPP.

Top Bottom