• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Bebpo

Banned
Depends where you entered the admin room but there is a generator switch that turns off the cameras. Also you can shoot them with your silenced rifle.

Don't have silenced rifle :( Don't know where generator switch is.

Eventually beat it, but I dunno. Probably was because I didn't explore around much, but I found that really, really difficult. Mainly because the second you get spotted -> alarm -> instant death most of the time. Don't remember MGS being so player-unfriendly before.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Yea, it's a problem for me as well. It's really hard to care when I don't know who the fuck Kaz , Paz, and Chico are. Making Peace Walker a handheld game was a horrible idea.
Their names are also terrible. I want code names.

wanders

Yea, it's a problem for me as well. It's really hard to care when I don't know who the fuck Kaz , Paz, and Chico are. Making Peace Walker a handheld game was a horrible idea.

Good thing they released the HD version for consoles!

I found another subtle detail: if you spin the camera around it sounds like air hitting a mic

Chinner

Banned
I think I'll play peace waker first while waiting for ground zeroes to get it cheaper. Now I have to wait for peace walker to get cheaper..

Wow, this game is a total cash grab. You get one level, one short mission and then they pad the game with side missions (go back to the same level and do X or Y) and tapes to find, and patches to find for OCD people. Can't wait for the inevitable "MGS5 Complete Version" with Ground Zeroes and the Phantom Pain.

The actual mission is not bad but it would be like if Konami made the Tanker mission from MGS2 its own game and padded that out as well.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Very cool game! Finished it last night and looking forward for another play through later this evening. The animations are glorious and you can't beat the 60 fps smoothness.

I love the direction the story is taking and the emphasis on gameplay, the cutscenes really feel more interactive even though they obviously aren't but the shorter scenes, camera angles and subtle gameplay references really make this game feel like a tiny, but complete package.

Only one nitpick, and I really do hate myself for this:
HOW MANY TIMES IS THAT DUDE GOING TO CHANGE HIS NAME!? Seriously though it's been 3 games of this nonsense: "I'm Big Boss now cause the president says so but I have mommy issues so call me by my own codename. Wait holdup, I think I'm past those issues I'm Big Boss again call me that. What? Chico and Paz got kidnapped and it's a Tuesday? Kaz, Get me my Snake name tag."

VulpX

So, finally have it since yesterday. Game itself is absolutely awesome, too bad it is obviously a cross gen game, I have the feeling they could have gotten more out of it if it was current gen only.

BTW: am I the only one noticing the terrible draw distance? I'm on PS4, and i have constant pop up of bushes and other assets about 20m away from BB. It's even more obvious with the binocs. When you zoom in you see a lot of detail, you put away the binocs and suddely half the things you saw trough your binocs are gone. This is most obvious in the day time missions. Also, during the Deja Vu mission, after a while the map takes very long to load on the iDroid, same for the objectives screen.
Do other people have the same king of issues or should I start wondering if my PS4 has a faulty HDD or memory or something?

I just noticed that when you pop a fresh magazine in, you can reload a second time and get one more bullet in due to the first bullet being chambered. Dat detail.

goonergaz

What a great game - can't wait for the real deal! Took me ~2hrs (but I am pretty rubbish and wasn't playing properly) with 8% completed.

I love the attention to details - things like when the guard radios near you you can hear him as well as the radio...and man those are nice graphics and loving the frame-rate...awesome next-genness to get me ready for 2nd Son which should arrive today :)

They kinda are
Kazuhira is cut down to Kaz, the Japanese word for Peace.
Same goes for Paz.

raven777

by the way...

5T05EDm.gif

did they take this out in the game? I tried jumping and he doesn't seem to do that.

did they take this out in the game? I tried jumping and he doesn't seem to do that.

They did, and it's glorious. It looks like they smoothened up the animations in general since that video to me. I thought the game looked terrible when I watched that, but I don't really have too many complaints about the animation now.

nOoblet16

Kaz was introduced as a character in MGS1. Beside there isn't really much to this all, it can all be read in the synopsis.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah and to be honest. Some of the shit is super cringe worthy in peace walker. You might be better off just listening to the cassettes and reading the synopsis available in gz.

I still haven't died once after like 12 hours of gameplay. I am an MGS veteran but I don't think that is why. Game is really generous with health. I'm pretty much done with the game though. Got all their is to get and burnt out on this map.

Going back to my re-playthrough of the MGS HD collection.

Loomba

Love the game, but I really don't like the fact that Snake's gun clips through his pack attached to his side. Really thought they would have fixed that.

ekim

Yesterday I played it on extreme difficult and without HUD and all other markers. The tension was killing me... but I hate the fact that restarting at a checkpoint resets everything. After I rescued Chico, soldiers came to the prison area searching for him. Of course they found me and so I restarted at the latest checkpoint just to see that they now won't look for him. I guess for the next try I will have to restart the whole mission whenever I get seen.

beastmode

I'm sad that the game makes makes you harder to spot while carrying a soldier on ur back, but not filling a jeep with sleeping dudes and driving responsibly.

Salaadin

If you really get desperate enough I'm sure you could just youtube some S rank walkthoughs, but figuring it out on your own is so much more rewarding.
That's pretty much it. I haven't watched any S rank runs because I want to do it myself.
Closest I came to do far is the main mission with an A rank. I got spotted near the end and that's probably all that got me.

The A.I in this game on the default difficulty is very good. I would they it's the best it has been in a MGS game. To make the game more immersive (for me) I've turned off reflex site and using free aim. So far it has been great playing. Just one question. When you complete it the first time the game will change to day time in your next play through?

Salaadin

I thought I'd hate it but I actually really appreciate the addition of enemy tagging. Feels like a logical step for Soliton Radar. Having it in view at all times and not stuck behind a "detective mode" button is nice too.

beastmode

Beware, there's some seriously unfair scripting in the "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" side op. I had one of the targets asleep near a mission area exit point, and upon killing the other he teleported elsewhere, awake and running.

raven777

The A.I in this game on the default difficulty is very good. I would they it's the best it has been in a MGS game. To make the game more immersive (for me) I've turned off reflex site and using free aim. So far it has been great playing. Just one question. When you complete it the first time the game will change to day time in your next play through?

no the time setting is same everytime. It varies depending on the missions.

SJRB

Gold Member
I thought I'd hate it but I actually really appreciate the addition of enemy tagging. Feels like a logical step for Soliton Radar. Having it in view at all times and not stuck behind a "detective mode" button is nice too.

I agree. To my surprise it didn't annoy me at all. In fact I found it quite useful for situational awareness. However, after a first playthrough I stopped using it. Tagging off feels like the right way to go. Makes things WAY more tense too because I've had more than once where I almost got caught because I didn't pay enough attention.

The semi-random guard patrols are really well done, you have to stay alert at all times.

Anung

Un Rama
I love the amount of ways you can deal with situations in this. But I must admit I'm finding the stealth super hard. The enemies can see you from a crazy distance.

I can see what Kojima means about needing to be able to mark people.

raven777

I love the amount of ways you can deal with situations in this. But I must admit I'm finding the stealth super hard. The enemies can see you from a crazy distance.

I can see what Kojima means about needing to be able to mark people.

yea without marking and reflex mode, this game would be too hard for me (at least at the first time)

FrankWza

That's the mode from the batman games? Yeah...that totally killed any tension in asylum for me. Is it in city too?

psychotron

The first time through I had a really hard time with not being spotted. It kind of felt like chore to do anything because I would always end up running and gunning, then hiding 3/4's of the way across the map. I finally finished the first run and decided to try another to get the XOF patches. I'm not sure what happened in between but I'm loving it now. Perhaps it's because I knew to tag enemies right from the start, but I'm having a blast my second time through, and the fact that the story leads directly into Phantom Pain has me really excited.

SJRB

Gold Member
That's the mode from the batman games? Yeah...that totally killed any tension in asylum for me. Is it in city too?

Yes, but they tweaked it a bit. It's not as necessary as it was in Asylum, and the filter coloring is a bit less "eye melting".

by the way...

5T05EDm.gif

You need to push the direction on the left stick and triangle at the same time when close to the edge.

Finished the game last night (main story, about 3 hours )and I thought it was incredible! I decided though that I'm not watching a single piece of media until The Phantom Pain comes out. I think the trailers give away too much at times. I already knew what was going to happen in the end of Ground Zeroes.

BTW: am I the only one noticing the terrible draw distance? I'm on PS4, and i have constant pop up of bushes and other assets about 20m away from BB. It's even more obvious with the binocs. When you zoom in you see a lot of detail, you put away the binocs and suddely half the things you saw trough your binocs are gone. This is most obvious in the day time missions. Also, during the Deja Vu mission, after a while the map takes very long to load on the iDroid, same for the objectives screen.
Do other people have the same king of issues or should I start wondering if my PS4 has a faulty HDD or memory or something?
Don't worry about your PS4, it's the same for me, and Edge review mentioned it too. I hope they sort it out for Phantom Pain, it's a bit annoying here :(

I decided though that I'm not watching a single piece of media until The Phantom Pain comes out. I think the trailers give away too much at times. I already knew what was going to happen in the end of Ground Zeroes.
Yeah, Konami and/or Kojima really don't know when to say enough with their trailers. I mean, the only thing I didn't know about Ground Zeroes is the very end of it - as in last minute or so of the last cutscene. And let's not forget that they showed almost the final boss of Revengeance in (more than) one of the trailers. And don't get me started on some of the MGS4 trailers that I downloaded from PS Store - I'm lucky enough that I did that after playing the game.

To the media-blakout-mobile!

Top Bottom