• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

(Xbox One here)
Ill take a clip of something in particular if you want to see something

what do you want to see?

*gamedvr will be 720p 30fps and not 100% direct feed quality*

Also, something interesting, I made a clip from with my Xbox One GameDVR clip and then added a Gamersyde PS4 1080p 60fps direct feed
linky

If you can, try to screencap a sideway shot of snake running. Might be blurry via the game dvr but it's better than nothing. Also make sure to output at 720p and not 1080p to avoid the upscaler, and set rgb to limited.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
hey gaf check out my iDroid rig

8Mvujnp.jpg

LOL. Looks like a quarterback's play card, except obviously it's a phone.

Silenced rifle.
Silenced SMG.
Scoped rifle with grenade launcher.
Guard's rifle.
Shotgun.
Sniper Rifle.
Rocket launcher.
Tranq pistol.
Stun shotgun pistol.
.45 pistol.
Grenades.
Smoke grenades.
C4.
Claymores.
Magazine.
Flare grenade.

I think that's all of them.
no lethal silenced pistol or magnum revolver... *sad face

My biggest grip is the camera in tight spots. Its very broken and very zoomed in. Its impossible to hide by the camps because they're so close and it just zooms in on Snake instead of zooming out and showing you the wider picture.
Agreed, the camera work in concealed spaces would definitely benefit from some tweaking. I like your idea of zooming out, rather than in in places like the camp. Crawling around below things is also odd. The camera effectively goes into a 1st person mode, without actually being first person.

DSmalls84

Ha I picked up that stun shotgun pistol when as a replacement for the tranq gun in one of my playthroughs of the GZ mission. It was a complete fail when I fired it around the air strip and expected it to be silenced lol.

Has anyone attempted to go through the entire ground zeroes mission ghosting the entire thing? No knockouts or tranq guards. Going to try it tonight. Only prob I can see is the base going into an alert when a group of guards finds that Paz is missing during their patrol route.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
On my first runthrough, I accidently found Paz (had already gotten Chico).

I was trying to escape from guards, came across steps going underground, turned a corner, and boom, there she is.

I had futz'd around before this, but it still was only 40-50 minutes. I had already taken out most of the AA guns, so I just called the chopper to pick up right near the airpad. I liked that you could shoot from the Helicopter, as it made it's way out of the map.

dc89

Has anyone attempted to go through the entire ground zeroes mission ghosting the entire thing? No knockouts or tranq guards. Going to try it tonight. Only prob I can see is the base going into an alert when a group of guards finds that Paz is missing during their patrol route.

You're gonna have to move fast once you have Paz.

IIRC, isn't it the alert where they'll go back to patrolling normally? Just wait it out if that's the case.

How did you get 3 hours out of it? I spent first 10 minutes listening to tapes, did not kill anyone and still beat the "main story" in 54 minutes. I guess cutscenes are another 15...

I was taking my time exploring the camp, tried not to be detected, and I have to say I found the game pretty challenging especially
towards the end where you have to carry Paz to helicopter
I lost quite a few times!

p.s. I also turned off Reflex mode (still haven't tried it!)

-Amon-

Crawling around below things is also odd. The camera effectively goes into a 1st person mode, without actually being first person.

It's that way from a looooot of time in Metal Gear. I cant' think of a better implementation for a TPS when you're in really tight places.

FrankWza

Perhaps I should have specified that I'm talking about the PS4 version. What's the consensus, is it worth the full price or something one could have waited for?

As long as your ok playing different missions in the same area it's worth $30. there are six missions total and each has taken me around 50 mins the first time. There's also unlocks that could potentially keep you coming back for multiple completions. If your a Metal Gear fan I would say it's worth it.

Also, do you want the first run DLC? I think if you combine everything it's worth it.

Timeaisis

Well, finished off all the side missions today, except Deja Vu, which I haven't yet unlocked. The 4th mission was cool, except for the
armored vehicle part
. I didn't have enough ammunition, and Kaz kept telling me to find a
recoil-less rifle
, which I don't think exists. I had to run around like an idiot looking for C4 and grenades. Got a D. Ugh.

Also, anyone else getting some weird load time when bringing up their iDroid? It like hangs for a second before loading the UI part of it. Really annoying, because it's real time.

Betty

Banned
Well, finished off all the side missions today, except Deja Vu, which I haven't yet unlocked. The 4th mission was cool, except for the
armored vehicle part
recoil-less rifle
, which I don't think exists. I had to run around like an idiot looking for C4 and grenades. Got a D. Ugh.

Pretty sure you can find a recoil-less rifle in one of the locked ammo huts, alternatively, you can track it's patrol route and stick a single C4 to it's backside instead.
But it's not a pistol, it's a sub-machine gun. ;)

Sure, but it can be fired single shot too, so it does have the same feel as a pistol.

Pretty sure you can find a recoil-less rifle in one of the locked ammo huts, alternatively, you can track it's patrol route and stick a single C4 to it's backside like I did.

Yeah the game does that sometimes where you'll need to take out a vehicle but they don't let you know beforehand so if you're playing stealth you might just have a pistol.

I just put a ton of C4 on the road and waited for it to drive past.

cackhyena

armored vehicle part
recoil-less rifle

Also, anyone else getting some weird load time when bringing up their iDroid? It like hangs for a second before loading the UI part of it. Really annoying, because it's real time.
It exists. I interrogated a dude who gave it's location on the map, but I never went for it.

Pretty sure you can find a recoil-less rifle in one of the locked ammo huts, alternatively, you can track it's patrol route and stick a single C4 to it's backside instead.

Sure, but it can be fired single shot too, so it does have the same feel as a pistol.

And you can just get that rawket lawnchair that has enough ammo to take out 3 AA placements AND that tank, provided you have some grenades just in case.

nillapuddin

If you can, try to screencap a sideway shot of snake running. Might be blurry via the game dvr but it's better than nothing. Also make sure to output at 720p and not 1080p to avoid the upscaler, and set rgb to limited.

yeah there is motion blur in game while running

also. whats the point of the games ability to take a screenshot and send it to your smart device, if the quality of the image is circa 1990?

Is there any way to knife a guy after you've knocked him out?

I'll tranq a guy silently from far away but then I decide that I want him dead. I no longer have a silencer on my gun so I don't want to fire. I approach him and all I can do is pick him up.

How do I kill him silently? Can I equip just the knife?

cackhyena

Is there any way to knife a guy after you've knocked him out?

I'll tranq a guy silently from far away but then I decide that I want him dead. I no longer have a silencer on my gun so I don't want to fire. I approach him and all I can do is pick him up.

How do I kill him silently? Can I equip just the knife?

I don't think so. Gotta kick him awake, grab him and knife him that way. If I don't want to go through all that, and I'm close enough to a cliff ledge, I just toss them over. I wish there was a armory where an extra suppressor is available. There are locations where your same rifle with suppressor is on the map, though.

I don't think so. Gotta kick him awake, grab him and knife him that way. If I don't want to go through all that, and I'm close enough to a cliff ledge, I just toss them over.

I guess that is my biggest complaint then. I shouldn't have to fiddle around with him like that, waking him up just to kill him. It's very limiting.

How do you toss them over a ledge? Every time I try I just set him down nicely near the ledge, even if I'm standing right up against it facing the sea. Is there another "throw" button?

I guess that is my biggest complaint then. I shouldn't have to fiddle around with him like that, waking him up just to kill him. It's very limiting.

How do you toss them over a ledge? Every time I try I just set him down nicely near the ledge, even if I'm standing right up against it facing the sea. Is there another "throw" button?
Maybe do the CQC throw while holding them? Jab the analog stick in that direction then press the attack trigger again?

Cool, thanks. I think the knife thing still needs to be fixed but for now I will be tossing them off cliffs.
I think the thing is that they didn't want to have an equipment slot only get occupied by the knife for the entire game. Only having it in the CQC option keeps it concise in some weird way, and having death be something you must consciously employ (with the only alternative being non-lethal by means of CQC, tranq or choking them out) fits with how the series has always had the two philosophies side by side.

Speaking of CQC, I LOVE mashing R2 to do a furious combo takedown. It always looks cool, but still not quite cutscene-caliber (like in MGS4 where Old Snake busts out the spinkicks).

I think the thing is that they didn't want to have an equipment slot only get occupied by the knife for the entire game. Only having it in the CQC option keeps it concise in some weird way, and having death be something you must consciously employ (with the only alternative being non-lethal by means of CQC, tranq or choking them out) fits with how the series has always had the two philosophies side by side.

Speaking of CQC, I LOVE mashing R2 to do a furious combo takedown. It always looks cool, but still not quite cutscene-caliber (like in MGS4 where Old Snake busts out the spinkicks).

Knife doesn't need to take up an equip slot, it could just be another animation. For example, how about [crouch over unconscious enemy + R2] to trigger a throat slit animation? Maybe, maybe not, but something like that.

I did like how there was a real effort made in MGS4 to make it cinematic. My favorite little detail was how smoothly the cutscene camera transitioned into the gameplay camera. Most games will get the camera close and then there will be a little jerk as the field of view changes, or as the camera backs up. In MGS4 the camera moved so smoothly that sometimes I didn't even realize that I was supposed to be playing yet. It really brought down the wall that normally separates cutscene and gameplay and made it feel so congruent.

Furyous

Is there any word on how idroid mother base building will translate into TPP?

I put 20 hours into the base building so hopefully it works in TPP.

cackhyena

You just hit R2 (weapon fire on shooter mode). Even if you are standing still he throws them. You can knock them out from sleep state if you throw them on the ground or against a wall. Accidentally threw a prisoner when i was wanting to set him down gently for evac one time. He didn't complain tho, so I'm like "cool".

Dibbz

My god that one side mission where you have to extract that VIP. Kojima pls stop. It's not fair on other games looool.

ukas

You just hit R2 (weapon fire on shooter mode). Even if you are standing still he throws them. You can knock them out from sleep state if you throw them on the ground or against a wall. Accidentally threw a prisoner when i was wanting to set him down gently for evac one time. He didn't complain tho, so I'm like "cool".

I accidentally threw a POW and at an enemy soldier and the POW died. I'm not sure if it was the throw or he caught some stray bullets.

It's that way from a looooot of time in Metal Gear. I cant' think of a better implementation for a TPS when you're in really tight places.
I'd just like if it shifted to a true first person view in those situations, where you see you hands, and the gun, etc.

I've played a few hours today, I think I prefer this as an action game than a stealth game, which is really surprising to me, I've always loved the pure stealth runs all the previous games.
I think this new format really excels at both stealth and action. I particularly like how you can raise hell and then evade. The AI relative to firearm noise is also much improved. Its great that you can actually use un-silenced weapons fairly effectively without raising alarm so long as you are are smart about it.

Top Bottom