• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Salaadin

That's the mode from the batman games? Yeah...that totally killed any tension in asylum for me. Is it in city too?
Yeah.

My big problem with it is that it encouraged you to stay in that mode at all times. The Tomb Raider approach was alright because you had to stand still to use it.

GZ is a better approach than both batman and TR because It's really only good for situational awareness, much like the Soliton Radar was but without all the environmental detail that the Soliton Radar had. You are aware of the enemy presence only after you manually spot them and the approach towards your objective is still up to you to figure out.

FrankWza

Yes, but they tweaked it a bit. It's not as necessary as it was in Asylum, and the filter coloring is a bit less "eye melting".

That's good to know. Arkham city is in the backlog. I don't think tagging makes the game anywhere near as easy as asylum though. You have to actually have eyes on them. If I remember asylum right it was possible to see though walls? this is what keeps it from breaking the game to me.

FrankWza

Yeah.

My big problem with it is that it encouraged you to stay in that mode at all times. The Tomb Raider approach was alright because you had to stand still to use it.

GZ is a better approach than both batman and TR because It's really only good for situational awareness, much like the Soliton Radar was but without all the environmental detail that the Soliton Radar had. You are aware of the enemy presence only after you manually spot them and the approach towards your objective is still up to you to figure out.

Oops...I took too long with my last post. ..I would've doubled it up.
I agree. There's no radar beaming out in a huge circumference that reveals multiple threats. Tagging also exposes you to being discovered by a passing guard or tower guard. Sometimes the tower guards will walk down the steps and then go back up and start to use the spotlight again which is another nice touch.

Kalamoj

Hi guys, nobb question here. I finished the main mission, and downloaded the 'trailer dlc'. Where can I watch it? The slip refers to some 'Addittional content' menu, but I can't find it.

Zomba13

Don't worry about your PS4, it's the same for me, and Edge review mentioned it too. I hope they sort it out for Phantom Pain, it's a bit annoying here :(

Yeah, Konami and/or Kojima really don't know when to say enough with their trailers. I mean, the only thing I didn't know about Ground Zeroes is the very end of it - as in last minute or so of the last cutscene. And let's not forget that they showed almost the final boss of Revengeance in (more than) one of the trailers. And don't get me started on some of the MGS4 trailers that I downloaded from PS Store - I'm lucky enough that I did that after playing the game.

To the media-blakout-mobile!

Yeah definitely on a media black-out for Phantom Pain. You could get the entire GZ mission story from the trailers. Like there wasn't anything added, things that were left open like the headphones plugged into Chico's chest seem unexplained (not got all tapes/100% yet though).

So is it worth getting this game at full price? Or better to wait a few months? Really wondering if I should pick this up today. Perhaps the Mother Base Staff DLC is a reason to do it, but unsure if that will make a worthwhile difference.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
On the Extra Ops mission select you can hit left to right between Jamais Vu.

Do we know if more missions will come for the game in the future as DLC? None of the other select offer this.

On the Extra Ops mission select you can hit left to right between Jamais Vu.

Do we know if more missions will come for the game in the future as DLC? None of the other select offer this.

for deja vu (and I assume Jamais Vu) going left to right:
Changes costumes once you unlock them

Sandman42

I played through the main mission and I think the game is great. I knew it was going to be short, so it was pretty much expected, but I just can't help but wish it was a little longer.

I can't decide whether I like this idea of releasing a prologue/demo game or not. On one hand its awesome to try out the new gameplay and on the other hand you kind of just want the real thing.

Regardless its a cool experiment and I think other games series should look into this idea as an option in the future.

Those who doubt the canonicity of Portable Ops should note that the suit that Big Boss is wearing in the Ground Zeroes mission is one he wears during the story of Portable Ops.

Kojima disregards it because he considers it a side story when compared to the games that he directed. This in no way means that PO is non-canonical, just that it is a side-story; albeit a much better story than Peace Walker.

Fehyd

Banned
Worth noting that the game is selling. Ps4 version is currently sold out in my sales district and, as far as I can tell most of the country.

Might've outsold the xbone and 360 versions combined. Won't have exact figures til next week

FrankWza

Those who doubt the canonicity of Portable Ops should note that the suit that Big Boss is wearing in the Ground Zeroes mission is one he wears during the story of Portable Ops.

Kojima disregards it because he considers it a side story when compared to the games that he directed. This in no way means that PO is non-canonical, just that it is a side-story; albeit a much better story than Peace Walker.

I think he did say it was. Rising too.

Raynes

It was much better than PW. But dude, that sneaking suit a different one altogether, there are just 1 or 2 similarities.

Betty

Banned

No, he's wearing the Sneaking Suit from Peace Walker.

0_%2827%29.jpg

Portable Ops's suit looks like this.

Kp26.jpg

During the AMA, Kojima also said that PO was part-canon, part not, with the overall story being canon, but most of the finer details (Sokolov being alive, Grey Fox being Null ect) being non-canon.

Oriel

Holy shit. Kojima wasn't lying about V being more mature. The end was pretty fucked up, not to mention the almost casual rape references. Not sure if I could stomach (excuse the pun) PP. Right, now onto the first Side Ops.

Can anyone figure out why the game has motion blur in cutscenes but not during gameplay on PS4?

No clue, but it's not a question of hardware power since the cutscenes are all realtime. The game does have camera based blur though. Here is what Robo is talking about:

In this shot you can tell the cutscene is realtime because of low polycount lod.
rzx2v.jpg

07sw7.jpg

vzsao.jpg

Can anyone confirm if the xbox one version still has motion blur on snakes hands and feet when he runs?

You need to push the direction on the left stick and triangle at the same time when close to the edge.

Finished the game last night (main story, about 3 hours )and I thought it was incredible! I decided though that I'm not watching a single piece of media until The Phantom Pain comes out. I think the trailers give away too much at times. I already knew what was going to happen in the end of Ground Zeroes.

How did you get 3 hours out of it? I spent first 10 minutes listening to tapes, did not kill anyone and still beat the "main story" in 54 minutes. I guess cutscenes are another 15...

Angelcurio

Just received the game yesterday and finished it in around 2:40 Minutes. I got lost while searching for Paz, so i ended up triggering an alert and killing everyone in the area just outside of where you disable the energy, and did not get killed once. Past MG games were way more hard to get away and alive after being spotted.

The graphics look really good on PS4. I didn't like the new shaky cam style that Kojima is using for cutscenes, made me feel like i was playing a game based on Cloverfield, so i hope he gets a lot of feedback to get the camera quiet. Can't wait for The Phantom Pain, let's hope we finally get a release date for The Phantom Pain at E3.

Mik2121

How did you get 3 hours out of it? I spent first 10 minutes listening to tapes, did not kill anyone and still beat the "main story" in 54 minutes. I guess cutscenes are another 15...

I spent close to three hours on the first mission, and I felt like I rushed the last part a tiny bit.

cackhyena

Took me twice as long as you and I only listened to one tape. MGS games more than any others, I just love soaking in the details. Details of the models, animations, sounds you can make, ways to screw with enemies, hidden pathways, etc.

pupcoffee

I think this game has finally hit me. I started playing one of the side ops on Hard mode (first time playing this on hard mode) and I'm playing the game with some nice ambience to go with the patience this sort of stuff is requiring me atm, and I'm not really getting anywhere so I just decided "I'll go down to the cages, there might be something cool there" and I've spent like an hour here just doing just getting alerts and hanging off the cliff and stuff and its great. Feels like I'm playing a sandbox.

nillapuddin

No clue, but it's not a question of hardware power since the cutscenes are all realtime. The game does have camera based blur though. Here is what Robo is talking about:

In this shot you can tell the cutscene is realtime because of low polycount lod.
rzx2v.jpg

07sw7.jpg

vzsao.jpg

Can anyone confirm if the xbox one version still has motion blur on snakes hands and feet when he runs?

(Xbox One here)
Ill take a clip of something in particular if you want to see something

what do you want to see?

*gamedvr will be 720p 30fps and not 100% direct feed quality*

Also, something interesting, I made a clip from with my Xbox One GameDVR clip and then added a Gamersyde PS4 1080p 60fps direct feed
linky

Took me twice as long as you and I only listened to one tape. MGS games more than any others, I just love soaking in the details. Details of the models, animations, sounds you can make, ways to screw with enemies, hidden pathways, etc.

I spent close to three hours on the first mission, and I felt like I rushed the last part a tiny bit.

It's not like I rushed through it either. I did play it with stealth in mind. I would have been pissed if I bought it, but it's a very reasonable rental. It's a bit more than a demo, but not quite a full fledged game...

-Amon-

Finished the main mission. I'm impressed. Looks to me like a mature story, technically sound game. A good showcase of what Kojima vision is, what it means for him to turn Metal gear in an open world experience.

I'll replay the main a lot of times for sure, there are so many different approaches to the problem that are already apparent during the first playthrough.

They could not make a better appetizer for the Phantom Pain in my opinion.

Now on to the side missions

DSmalls84

Perhaps I should have specified that I'm talking about the PS4 version. What's the consensus, is it worth the full price or something one could have waited for?

As long as your ok playing different missions in the same area it's worth $30. there are six missions total and each has taken me around 50 mins the first time. There's also unlocks that could potentially keep you coming back for multiple completions. If your a Metal Gear fan I would say it's worth it.

I would like to know the full list of weapons and equipment in the game too

Silenced rifle.
Silenced SMG.
Scoped rifle with grenade launcher.
Guard's rifle.
Shotgun.
Sniper Rifle.
Rocket launcher.
Tranq pistol.
Stun shotgun pistol.
.45 pistol.
Grenades.
Smoke grenades.
C4.
Claymores.
Magazine.
Flare grenade.

I think that's all of them.

ekim

(Xbox One here)
Ill take a clip of something in particular if you want to see something

what do you want to see?

*gamedvr will be 720p 30fps and not 100% direct feed quality*

Also, something interesting, I made a clip from with my Xbox One GameDVR clip and then added a Gamersyde PS4 1080p 60fps direct feed
linky

What is supposed to be interesting there?

MDSLKTR

Silenced rifle.
Silenced SMG.
Scoped rifle with grenade launcher.
Guard's rifle.
Shotgun.
Sniper Rifle.
Rocket launcher.
Tranq pistol.
Stun shotgun pistol.
.45 pistol.
Grenades.
Smoke grenades.
C4.
Claymores.
Magazine.
Flare grenade.

I think that's all of them.

Awesome! Thanks, I gotta explore that map more lol. I hope phantom pain has weapon customization like mgs4

Final verdict: this is a very fresh take on Metal Gear Solid. For the first time in the series, the controls, the HUD, the A.I. and everything else feels great. This is a very diverse series and I'm glad its not taking the old approach. I love change as the biggest problem with MGS is not its story but having a gameplay that the general audience can play with ease and enjoy and understand.

My biggest grip is the camera in tight spots. Its very broken and very zoomed in. Its impossible to hide by the camps because they're so close and it just zooms in on Snake instead of zooming out and showing you the wider picture.

Side missions are fun, the idea of Snake being a menace is hilarious. Looking forward to Phantom Pain with hopefully improved camera in tighter spots.

Top Bottom