• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Roarer

I never really thought much about Kaz's vision problems, but there is that one scene after Quiet gets the kids body out of the chlorine gas where the kid's necklace is like on the ground and Kaz just keeps kind of grinding away at it with his crutch until someone picks it up.

It makes a lot more sense if he is blind, but I was like, "what a dick!" It does seem like there was supposed to be something to that storyline and they just never got around to it.

I think this is yet another ham fisted metaphor in that Kaz is not only physically blind, he is also blinded by revenge. His influence on Big Boss is crucial in the downfall of Outer Heaven and Diamond Dogs. He is the one insisting on nuclear armament and on building a private army, blind to the consequences of fueling a cycle of revenge and deterrence.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All four parts are finished.

tumblr_nvnmf01Nfg1rm8k4oo2_1280.gif

Does Ocelot actually DO the gestures any time in V ?
I don't think I saw him do it a single time, but then again I don't think I went hunting for him during motherbase game-play time either.

I don't think I saw him do it a single time, but then again I don't think I went hunting for him during motherbase game-play time either.

I don't recall him doing that in the game at all, only in the MGO trailer.

SJRB

Gold Member
After Big Boss sends Emmerich on his way away from MB the Battle Gear hangar still shows up as a point of interest. Battle Gear is finished and all and I've done all the dispatch missions where you have to use it. Should I have done the dispatch missions with it before Emmerich was sent away for something else to happen at the hangar or what? Because the hangar still shows up as a point of interest, but no more cutscenes are triggered when I enter it.

Nah, Battle Gear thread is another dead end without payoff. Game builds up to it by making you visit the hangar saveral times, but nothing comes of it. You can also not interact with anything in thr hangar, and after Huey is exiled you cannot visit the hangar anymore even though the Battle Gear obviously is still there. The yellow marker on thr map will eventually disappear.

Kojima explains in the strategy guide that Battle Gear was supposed to be used in the game by the player, but they removed it because it was crazy unbalanced.

I suppose they only realised this very late in development or else they would'nt have kept all the build up nonsense in the game.

"Boss, Battle Gear is ready for deployment. It's the ultimate combat wrapon and will mop the floor with the enemy"

+2% chance of victory in Combat Deployment, lol.

He's not there. There's a KojiPro gameplay demo where the player finds Ocelot on Mother Base and he does the hand gesture, but Ocelot never spawns anywhere in the retail game. Nobody does. You can see Code Talker and Eli hanging out on the Command Platform when you leave via helicopter, but if you go to those spots on foot they won't be there. Quiet's the only major NPC you'll ever see, and she's locked in her cage.

Such a missed opportunity, really. Before the game came out I was thinking Mother Base would be like the Normandy in Mass Effect games; a cool place to return to between missions to bro out with my squad and talk about everything that was going on. But Mother Base is just barren, nothing but diamonds and soldiers to slap around.

Golnei

but then again I don't think I went hunting for him during motherbase game-play time either.

Probably for the best, since he can't actually be physically found on the base, like most of the other main characters.

I don't recall him doing that in the game at all, only in the MGO trailer.

That and (most of) the revolver twirling is restricted to MGO. Such a waste of a motion capture artist.

Kojima explains in the strategy guide that Battle Gear was supposed to be used in the game by the player, but they removed it because it was crazy unbalanced.

I suppose they only realised this very late in development or else they would'nt have kept all the build up nonsense in the game.

It's much more likely that was an excuse used to cover it being incomplete, like the retroactive justification for Skull Face not having a boss fight. Especially since there's far more unbalanced rank-restricting equipment freely available to the player. I'm not sure how to count the vestigial files for the Battle Gear buddy as an indication of how far along it was - there doesn't seem to be many usable assets remaining, but that could just mean they were removed from the final release.

So what did "N313" stood for? I know it's part of the name of the mission given to Solid Snake in 1995 but what did that acronym (is it even an acronym?) meant? I looked it up in the Metal Gear wiki but couldn't find it.

I don't really understand why, on order to avoid a 15 days delay on PC for the sp, they opted for having a three months delay for MGO.
I mean, I'm not even sure Konami needs three months in order to port MGO on PC, since they probably already have all tools ready and MGO development is done on PC anyway.
If they ported over MGO as is on PC it'd be a cheating shit show. They probably need to spend some time implementing anti cheat stuff.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm surprised how they made battle gear so much worse than zeke

Why didn't they pick up Zeke anyway? It was safely stowed away on the ocean floor so the inspection wouldn't see it, technically it's still there amidst the MSF wreckage.

where there any indication as to why Ocelot switched his SAA to Matebas ?

None whatsoever. I can only assume it's a MGO thing [e.g. SAAs aren't powerful enough or something].

Why didn't they pick up Zeke anyway? It was safely stowed away on the ocean floor so the inspection wouldn't see it, technically it's still there amidst the MSF wreckage.

So, I'm just making this up, but is it possible that Skull Face recovered ZEKE and used it as the basis of Sahelanthropus? That would also, finally, give him a clear motive for attacking MSF.

knerl

Nah, Battle Gear thread is another dead end without payoff. Game builds up to it by making you visit the hangar saveral times, but nothing comes of it. You can also not interact with anything in thr hangar, and after Huey is exiled you cannot visit the hangar anymore even though the Battle Gear obviously is still there. The yellow marker on thr map will eventually disappear.

"Boss, Battle Gear is ready for deployment. It's the ultimate combat wrapon and will mop the floor with the enemy"

+2% chance of victory in Combat Deployment, lol.

But I can still enter the hangar. Huey's been exiled since long ago.

el87

It could've been directed better, I agree. But on the other hand, in MGS4 that scene would've been a 20 minute power point presentation.

The one thing I've found is that scene is much more evocative if you run into it at night, as I did. There's Helicopter searchlights and vehicle headlights everywhere. Giving it a much more interesting look than it does during the day.

Mine was at night as well, and the ride was through the dusk until the very early morning when we reached the base with the metal gear.

Saw it during the day on Youtube, and it looks out of place even more.

He's not there. There's a KojiPro gameplay demo where the player finds Ocelot on Mother Base and he does the hand gesture, but Ocelot never spawns anywhere in the retail game. Nobody does. You can see Code Talker and Eli hanging out on the Command Platform when you leave via helicopter, but if you go to those spots on foot they won't be there. Quiet's the only major NPC you'll ever see, and she's locked in her cage.

Such a missed opportunity, really. Before the game came out I was thinking Mother Base would be like the Normandy in Mass Effect games; a cool place to return to between missions to bro out with my squad and talk about everything that was going on. But Mother Base is just barren, nothing but diamonds and soldiers to slap around.

This is one of the bigger disappointments for me. From Day 1 I've ran accross the entire motherbase trying to find Ocelot and Miller. Couldn't google because of spoilers. Good to see confirmation finally.

Wagram

I don't really understand why, on order to avoid a 15 days delay on PC for the sp, they opted for having a three months delay for MGO.
I mean, I'm not even sure Konami needs three months in order to port MGO on PC, since they probably already have all tools ready and MGO development is done on PC anyway.

Most likely had to do with not wanting people to trade in MGSV. People that are slightly interested in it may keep their disc's longer knowing that something is coming out in the future. I also doubt that MGO needed that much time.

Golnei

Most likely had to do with not wanting people to trade in MGSV. People that are slightly interested in it may keep their disc's longer knowing that something is coming out in the future. I also doubt that MGO needed that much time.

Would trading in the discs really be that much of an issue with the way they've handled the PC version? It'd be more plausible if the console version also suffered those delays, but there's no non-Steam copy of MGSV on PC. And they're certainly not going to be spending the time on curbing the rampant cheating seen in the PC FOBs...

I've reached the point where I'm just leaving the console on to let resources process (absurd that this is necessary). Is there any trick to it? I have the console idle power saving shutdown options off, does the controller have to be set to always on as well?

This is one of the bigger disappointments for me. From Day 1 I've ran accross the entire motherbase trying to find Ocelot and Miller. Couldn't google because of spoilers. Good to see confirmation finally.

i've always been a fan of the tapes instead of a codec, but they could have offloaded a lot of the tape info if they just put all these guys as NPCs on motherbase with optional rpg-style conversations.

even if they couldn't do that. how hard could it have been to just have ocelot and miller walking around random areas of mother base?

Alienous

I've reached the point where I'm just leaving the console on to let resources process (absurd that this is necessary). Is there any trick to it? I have the console idle power saving shutdown options off, does the controller have to be set to always on as well?

I think I heard resources process faster at intervals where the game saves. Someone on GAF said he would hop into the back of a patrol truck, and it taking him from base to base would speed up the process, but I can't vouch for it.

i've always been a fan of the tapes instead of a codec, but they could have offloaded a lot of the tape info if they just put all these guys as NPCs on motherbase with optional rpg-style conversations.

even if they couldn't do that. how hard could it have been to just have ocelot and miller walking around random areas of mother base?

It shouldn't have been that hard, especially with Ocelot since they already had a bunch of animations ready for him for MGO. They couldn't put them in but had time to put that prick Huey in and his useless Battlegear. Its a shame really.

Ashura_MX

I havent waited a single time for something to complete, could either do a sideop a mission, free roam or fob invasion, insteaad of just waiting.

Clearly our strats are vastly different. My MB was 4/4 before reaching ep 28 and only once had to really go out of my way farming fuel containers.

usp84

I find it impossible to beat the sniper skulls with sniper weapons on code talker extreme.. .

Is there a good strategy?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Mission 37 [EXTREME] may have just soured me on playing the game. All I wanted to do was get it over with and stop playing for a while after that.

Honestly, just about everything in chapter 2 has been disappointing so far.

Man, Mission 37 [EXTREME] may have just soured me on playing the game. All I wanted to do was get it over with and stop playing for a while after that.

You can S rank that easily if you have Battle suit + Quiet and her Sinful butterfly upgrade. Even if you don't have the Quiet stuff, the tanks are good enough. The key is to enter the Airport from behind and wait for the tanks to arrive and then trigger the skulls.

Quiet + Sinful + Battle suit also works wonders for Extreme Metallic Archaea as well.

You don't actually have to do those harder missions to finish the game. The game doesn't tell you that though.

KOMANI

KOMANI
You can S rank that easily if you have Battle suit + Quiet and her Sinful butterfly upgrade. Even if you don't have the Quiet stuff, the tanks are good enough. The key is to enter the Airport from behind and wait for the tanks to arrive and then trigger the skulls.

Quiet + Sinful + Battle suit also works wonders for Extreme Metallic Archaea as well.
This is a solid strategy. Best part about these missions are the free soldiers that are stunned at the very end

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
You don't actually have to do those harder missions to finish the game. The game doesn't tell you that though.

I automatically assumed they were optional because they're not marked yellow. Every single mission before that was marked yellow, and the new story missions in chapter two are marked yellow. So....yeah.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yeah, you can make it Clear Sky, Sandstorm, or Rain at any time.

Sandstorm and rain only last for 10min though, which is dumb. I want rain all the time.

All. The. Time.
Same. Love Rain.

There's like 8 fucking threads on this game in the front page of Gaf! None of which is the OT.

Golnei

Ocelot x Big Boss. OTP.

Considering the feelings both Miller and Ocelot have/had towards Big Boss, as well as their growing rivalry, it's such a shame that they don't have any scenes where they come into conflict with each other about it.

tumblr_nufdgjHPbF1rjkrpbo3_r1_1280.png

Miller and Ocelot on the same base should be a ridiculous soap opera, not the cohabitation of an encyclopedia and an angry secretary.

Ludens

Banned
Well, Konami could just implement VAC on Steam and call the day, it would be easy and also the game is already Steamworks, so no problem with it.

I think I heard resources process faster at intervals where the game saves. Someone on GAF said he would hop into the back of a patrol truck, and it taking him from base to base would speed up the process, but I can't vouch for it.

Tried this out for a bit. Found a guy suggesting jumping into a truck and looping during mission 4. Can't really tell if it's any faster than just idling in the ACC.

Two funny things. One, DD was perpetually running after the truck, occasionally getting in front and getting run over. Two, this is the first and only E rank I've ever received on a mission :lol

I havent waited a single time for something to complete, could either do a sideop a mission, free roam or fob invasion, insteaad of just waiting.

Clearly our strats are vastly different. My MB was 4/4 before reaching ep 28 and only once had to really go out of my way farming fuel containers.

Half my MB is 4/4 (incl. base development), other half is 3/4. I'm in the long home stretch of the game, 95% side ops, about 1/3 though "S rank plus all objectives" in the main missions. I have mostly enough unprocessed resources for the final three platforms (and I'd hopefully gain enough for a nuke while playing), and I suppose playing through all the rest of the stuff I have to do would ultimately be enough time for all those materials to process, but at this point I'm not going to be actively playing much of the game anymore. Planning on doing just a mission or two every few days (as to not burn myself out when I'm relatively close to the platinum). I kind of want to just have the base stuff over with to have one less thing to worry about going forward.

ElFly

Yeah, you can make it Clear Sky, Sandstorm, or Rain at any time.

Sandstorm and rain only last for 10min though, which is dumb. I want rain all the time.

All. The. Time.

The slow mo in reaction time during the rain is the best THE BEST.

The detail of seeing individual drops fall is just too much.

Timeaisis

I find it impossible to beat the sniper skulls with sniper weapons on code talker extreme.. .

Is there a good strategy?

I just snuck by them :p

Also, go right and down you'll find there's a big rock you can hide behind and snipe them. I got 3/4 if the way through the fight and then did something stupid and got OHK'd. So I just snuck by because screw it.

This is a solid strategy. Best part about these missions are the free soldiers that are stunned at the very end

Yeah. I always used to avoid those puppet soliders but they apparently have really good stats. Easy S ranked soldiers.

My last 4/4 was after Mission 43. Damn, how did you even get so many processed fuel resources?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Considering the feelings both Miller and Ocelot have/had towards Big Boss, as well as their growing rivalry, it's such a shame that they don't have any scenes where they come into conflict with each other about it.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/ff1f67079705a279665839a9618ff80e/tumblr_nufdgjHPbF1rjkrpbo3_r1_1280.png

Miller and Ocelot on the same base should be a ridiculous soap opera, not the cohabitation of an encyclopedia and an angry secretary.

lol That comic. I don't think Miller had SUCH A LUST FOR BIG BOSS as Ocelot and Quiet, though. That beach scene is "non-canon" AFAIK. Same with Big Boss screwing Paz.

Blader

Decided I didn't want to lose Quiet, so I kept the butterfly emblem on and just skipped straight to mission 46, then listened to the truth records tapes afterward.

I'm a little confused about Zero's condition. He gets sick when Skull Face infects him with the vocal cord parasite. But then he keeps speaking fine afterward. And when he tells BB and others that he's sick, it sounds like not the same kind of sickness that the other infected patients had, but more of a dementia-type problem?

Top Bottom