• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Would've been better if it wasn't actually Volgin. Man on Fire having a physical form kinda takes it away for me. Sure it is cool that he can absorb bullets and ride a flaming unicorn but I kinda wish his appearances were related to Venom's hallucinations coming to life through kid mantis. Something like a manifestation of Big Boss's past which he can't run away from instead of Volgin coming to take revenge.

I just don't see Volgin as someone coming after for revenge. He's like the most goofiest villains in the entire series lol.

Would make sense as its not the real boss so he wouldnt have memories of Volgin and plus if i recall he doesnt know he's 'big boss' yet. But yesh the fire thing was dumb for volgin, but electricity would have made it way to ovious it was volgin

Ludens

Banned
I spent three hours on killing Skulls for the optional task in Code Talker Extreme.
This is maybe the hardest thing in the game. First I thought "Well, with a tank, it would be easy."
No, those things blow a tank like nothing. So I engaged a three hours fight sniper vs sniper, I died a fucktons of times, but in the end, I did it.
Quiet Extreme is a piece of cake compared to this.

Neiteio

Had a non-gamer friend over last night, who was very impressed with this game. We played it from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. I shared many of the key story beats and played a number of levels. The sheer absurdity of Quiet's depiction is such a great way to kick off things. Watching her ridiculous behavior in the ACC is guaranteed to bring LOLs and WTFs. And this was followed by deep conversation about how media depicts women -- concepts like the manic pixie dream girl, etc. Most likely NOT what Kojima intended, but it makes for good times nonetheless.

I've come to see Quiet as a concept with two sides. A good side, and a bad side. An intentional side, and a likely unintentional side.

On the one side the is the narratively interesting idea of a coldblooded monster who comes to feel affection for an enemy that repeatedly spares her, forgives her and trusts her. She develops something akin to a heart, something resembling humanity when before she was more or less a living weapon. This is the good side. I like this side.

The other side, of course, is the side I find... complicated. The camera's lust for her, and the inexplicable posing, which together border on parody. A small part of me still wonders if Kojima is trying to make a point, but I doubt it. Still, it's just so... brazen, and on the nose that I can't help but wonder if there's something intentional to the depiction. Something beyond "pop a boner, boys!"

Probably not. It's baffling, lol. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Quiet in this game.

Xiraiya

Would make sense as its not the real boss so he wouldnt have memories of Volgin and plus if i recall he doesnt know he's 'big boss' yet. But yesh the fire thing was dumb for volgin, but electricity would have made it way to ovious it was volgin
I don't know... I don't think there was suppose to be any real mystery that it was Volgin, the first time you saw him in trailers you immediately think "I know that outfit, that's Volgin" and then you assume he's probably a Mantis Hallucination.

...What about this is cut? they literally don't mention cut content anywhere.

Neiteio

"This ‘skull face’ represents the human side that he lost, and the same thing happens to Big Boss, who becomes a ‘skull’ in his quest for revenge – he also loses some of his human side."

yeah ok Kojima sure........
Yeah, that bit seems off. If anything, Venom gains a human side.

I spent three hours on killing Skulls for the optional task in Code Talker Extreme.
This is maybe the hardest thing in the game. First I thought "Well, with a tank, it would be easy."
No, those things blow a tank like nothing. So I engaged a three hours fight sniper vs sniper, I died a fucktons of times, but in the end, I did it.

Get the anti material sniper rifle and climb to the top of the hangar. It is actually the easiest extreme mission that can be done in minutes without using any gimmicks (if climbing to the top of the hangar doesn't count lol).

Neiteio

Get the anti material sniper rifle and climb to the top of the hangar. It is actually the easiest extreme mission that can be done in minutes without using any gimmicks (if climbing to the top of the hangar doesn't count lol).
That's not the same mission. You're talking about Metallic Archaea, he's talking about Code Talker. Code Talker is where you're fighting the sniper skulls in the jungle. No hangar.

Xiraiya

The problem is that the game gives you too much freedom, if you play the Hero, you'll be the hero, and the way the game is marketed is to imply everyone should play Venom in a way that is fucked up and Volatile, going for maximum demon points, but there's no apparent benefit for doing so.

Posted? Skullface: In Summary.

OB4cqtd.jpg

But Venom's lack of caring mirrored my own. Just like how Big Boss didn't care about his soldiers! And how Kojima and Konami didn't care about the quality of the game!

GUYS WE'RE ALL BIG BOSS BECAUSE NONE OF US CARE!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Doesn't say venom though :p

But then again, all BB did was sit on a bike and light up a Cigar. He didn't do anything at all besides helping Venom escape from a hospital to warrant any criticism.*

* i know the implied things he did, but i'm talking about what we SAW in the game.

Neiteio

The problem is that the game gives you too much freedom, if you play the Hero, you'll be the hero, and the way the game is marketed is to imply everyone should play Venom in a way that is fucked up and Volatile, going for maximum demon points.
The marketing is misleading, yes. I don't hold that against the game itself, though, which is still good in and of itself.

I've got bad news for you bro.

You can do that mission without fighting The Skulls.

Markoman

Well, haven't finished the game yet, but it took me 150 hours to realize that the scar on Paz' stomach is shaped like a V. I haven't reached the end yet, but this could have been a cool twist with the whole "V has come to" thing. I bet it isn't, though :D

Xiraiya

Well, haven't finished the game yet, but it took me 150 hours to realize that the scar on Paz' stomach is shaped like a V. I haven't reached the end yet, but this could have been a cool twist with the whole "V has come to" thing. I bet it isn't, though :D
It's a cryptic hint for where the second bomb was hidden.
Skullface has a sick sense of humor.

That's not the same mission. You're talking about Metallic Archaea, he's talking about Code Talker. Code Talker is where you're fighting the sniper skulls in the jungle. No hangar.

Oh shit I keeps thinking about that mission. Yeah that one is pretty tough. But as the above post stated you can completely skip the skulls. Hint: night vision goggles and the waterfall.

adamsapple

but it's the V for Victory, aka her symbol from PW and not
V for vagina :p, though i won't put that beyond kojima either.

Rymuth

Doesn't say venom though :p

But then again, all BB did was sit on a bike and light up a Cigar. He didn't do anything at all besides helping Venom escape from a hospital to warrant any criticism.*.

I think it's quite obvious what happened here.

Some time ago, our Kojima switched places with a Kojima from alternate world- a world where they got a narratively focused MGSV where you play as Big Boss who trains child soldiers and descends into evil whilst building Outer Heaven.

Right now, they're confused as fuck why our Kojima is sprouting nonsense about he knew no one would see the twist coming and how Venom becoming more heroic is commentary on players in general.

Ōkami

Regarding the Skull Face speech.

You can actually use the idroid while he's talking, so like managed your base or put Take on Me on, you can just ignore him.

While you can move the camera on the sequence, it's actually a cutscene, you can skip it, not just the jeep part but the part where you follow him.

That mission is good for farming resources so being able to just skip all that is great.

Xiraiya

Ōkami;180708574 said:
Regarding the Skull Face speech.

You can actually use the idroid while he's talking, so like managed your base or put Take on Me on, you can just ignore him.

While you can move the camera on the sequence, it's actually a cutscene, you can skip it, not just the jeep part but the part where you follow him.

That mission is good for farming resources so being able to just skip all that is great.
About all you can do with the iDroid is play music, which makes me wonder why just that is available.

Markoman

Ah now i get it
V.g..a has come to. That makes sense ;)

Another thing: looking back at the history of Metal Gear Games can we safely assume that Skullface was not intended to stay dead?

I haven't played GoP. Is there a connection between Skullface and Vamp? It would be too obvious I know, but hey Kojima had almost 200 countries to choose from, why Romania?

Nibel

If you want the optional task only: use one of the stealth items that make you invisible + use a Brennan sniper rifle, and you'll be done in under 10 minutes

Neiteio

Oh shit I keeps thinking about that mission. Yeah that one is pretty tough. But as the above post stated you can completely skip the skulls. Hint: night vision goggles and the waterfall.
But he's trying NOT to skip the skulls. There's an optional mission task where you must defeat all four of them. He's trying to 100% the mission by doing all of the mission tasks.

Johndoey

Banned
Had a non-gamer friend over last night, who was very impressed with this game. We played it from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. I shared many of the key story beats and played a number of levels. The sheer absurdity of Quiet's depiction is such a great way to kick off things. Watching her ridiculous behavior in the ACC is guaranteed to bring LOLs and WTFs. And this was followed by deep conversation about how media depicts women -- concepts like the manic pixie dream girl, etc. Most likely NOT what Kojima intended, but it makes for good times nonetheless.

I've come to see Quiet as a concept with two sides. A good side, and a bad side. An intentional side, and a likely unintentional side.

On the one side the is the narratively interesting idea of a coldblooded monster who comes to feel affection for an enemy that repeatedly spares her, forgives her and trusts her. She develops something akin to a heart, something resembling humanity when before she was more or less a living weapon. This is the good side. I like this side.

The other side, of course, is the side I find... complicated. The camera's lust for her, and the inexplicable posing, which together border on parody. A small part of me still wonders if Kojima is trying to make a point, but I doubt it. Still, it's just so... brazen, and on the nose that I can't help but wonder if there's something intentional to the depiction. Something beyond "pop a boner, boys!"

Probably not. It's baffling, lol. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Quiet in this game.

Hey man lets be straight up there ain't a shred of anything beyond "lol tits" when it comes to Quiet's looks and the camera placement. Its not a parody of over-sexualization in media or whatever people are going to say it is. If I may, my daddy used to say "Son sometimes a spade is a metaphysical representation of the struggle of the common laborer in a industrial capitalist society, but usually its just a spade.

Neiteio

Hey man lets be straight up there ain't a shred of anything beyond "lol tits" when it comes to Quiet's looks and the camera placement. Its not a parody of over-sexualization in media or whatever people are going to say it is. If I may, my daddy used to say "Son sometimes a spade is a metaphysical representation of the struggle of the common laborer in a industrial capitalist society, but usually its just a spade.
Hey, I more or less concluded the same thing as you. It's just baffling to think Kojima could be so blatant. It's like hiding in plain sight, an 800-lb gorilla in the room. Which is why a small part of me wonders if he's self-aware. But I guess not.

Artex

Banned
I just finished and came here for clarification, but find none. Did I just play this whole game as some random schmuck?

Johndoey

Banned
Hey, I more or less concluded the same thing as you. It's just baffling to think Kojima could be so blatant. It's like hiding in plain sight, an 800-lb gorilla in the room. Which is why a small part of me wonders if he's self-aware. But I guess not.

Honestly if Kojima had been more honest about the real reason for Quiet's attire I would've been like "Let your freak flag fly brother!", but he tried for the lame justifications and it really soured my opinion of him.

sappyday

I just finished and came here for clarification, but find none. Did I just play this whole game as some random schmuck?

Yes. But no. YOU are that random schmuck. All male long time players get represented here (sorry chicks) and finally get to become Big Boss, the long dream we've always wanted right? Feel proud that one day you'll die by the hands of Solid Snake.

Johndoey

Banned
Yes. But no. YOU are that random schmuck. All male long time players get represented here (sorry chicks) and finally get to become Big Boss, the long dream we've always wanted right? Feel proud that one day you'll die by the hands of Solid Snake.

I just realized something, I know the main cast for this game is very small but is Quiet seriously the only lady, and all the African child soldiers need a British kid too lead them?

Kojima only sleeps four hours a night because he's standing by Stefanie Joosten's window watching her sleep:

5311.gif

She is a very, very attractive woman, but seriously Hannibal fans she does kinda look like Mason Verger right? I'm not the only one seeing it?

adamsapple

I just realized something, I know the main cast for this game is very small but is Quiet seriously the only lady, and all the African child soldiers need a British kid too lead them?

You rescue a bunch of female prisoners who become soldiers on motherbase afterwards. You can see them on the base.

Reebot

I always dreamed I would contribute to the legacy of Big Boss by doing a bunch of stuff no one remembers or talks about ever again.

Johndoey

Banned
You rescue a bunch of female prisoners who become soldiers on motherbase afterwards. You can see them on the base.

I meant main cast, the other games we usually average around three or so semi-important lady folk, but like I said the main cast is very small so its not really a condemnation.

I always dreamed I would contribute to the legacy of Big Boss by doing a bunch of stuff no one remembers or talks about ever again.

But you get to die an ultimately pointless death too a rookie operative, isn't everything thing you ever wanted?

Neiteio

The setup with the white child leading the black children seems intentional. There is a tape that notes how the leader of the child soldiers is a fair-skinned child. The name "White Mamba" is the locals' reference to this. It's kind of like a microcosm of Africa's colonial past, but at the same time not really, since Eli didn't have any material advantage over the people he was coercing. He was just super-smart and ruthless.

Regarding the female cast, I can only think of three characters: Quiet, Paz, and the Sniper Skulls. The skulls are hardly characters -- four unnamed individuals who function strictly as enemies. Paz is an illusion, of course. And Quiet... Well, we've said enough about her, lol.

There are the occasional women you rescue, and you can play as them, but they're not really characters either, for obvious reasons.

sappyday

Yes she is which is one of the main reasons I hate her inclusion in the game. Like, the only female character we get and the camera can't stop looking at her tits and ass. Plus she has a terrible characterization in general too. So we don't get any interesting characters like the Boss, Eva, or Naomi. Literally the only female character we get is reduced to a sex object that doesn't even speak. But I've already posted my long rant on why I hate Quiet so I won't go into further detail.

You can count Paz but she's literally a figment of Venom's imagination. But at least the moments with her was breath of fresh air.

Top Bottom