• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Reebot

I meant main cast, the other games we usually average around three or so semi-important lady folk, but like I said the main cast is very small so its not really a condemnation.

Quiet is just such a dynamic and multifaceted character there's just no room for another lady cast member.

This has been my last hour with this stupid game.

Have enough materials now for the final platforms and the nuke, now just for the rest of the S ranks and mission objectives.

i'm almost to building my last platform and i've never done this. during the process of doing side-ops i just gather resources as they appear within the area of whatever mission i'm doing. i still only have 61% of the side-ops done. i will very easily get the trophies for platform build and everything rank 50, and probably the nuke too without ever grinding resources

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
She is a very, very attractive woman, but seriously Hannibal fans she does kinda look like Mason Verger right? I'm not the only one seeing it?

skeptical.gif

Hey folks, hoping ya'll can lend me a hand here. I've looked up how to unlock these missions, and I've absolutely filled the prerequisites. The guide says that in order to unlock Side Op 18, you have to complete Main Op 16 (Traitor's Caravan) and Side Op 17. I've done these missions a whole bunch of times and nothing is happening. I've even beaten both Chapters 1 and 2, and gotten Side Op 150 and the following Main Op. I have a feeling it's pretty bugged for me. Anyone else experience these issues?

Neiteio

Your refusal to admit how hawt Verger is disturbs me. But seriously its the lips man, the lips.
Quiet's lips are amazing. I'm whatever about bewbies and butt, but the lips are lovely. Props to the modeler (even if he/she was working off of Joosten as a base).

Or maybe the texture artist is to thank. Convincing lip gloss giving her pucker real definition.

metalgearsolidv_theph02ki8.png

Johndoey

Banned
Quiet's lips are amazing. I'm whatever about bewbies and butt, but the lips are lovely. Props to the modeler (even if he/she was working off of Joosten as a base).

Or maybe the texture artist is to thank. Convincing lip gloss giving her pucker real definition.

metalgearsolidv_theph02ki8.png

IDK man first time I saw Quiet my mind immediately went to a crippled child-molester. I think it might be how her lips are parted or something.

usp84

I just snuck by them :p

Also, go right and down you'll find there's a big rock you can hide behind and snipe them. I got 3/4 if the way through the fight and then did something stupid and got OHK'd. So I just snuck by because screw it.

I am going for the optional objectives so i cant sneak past them.

I will go for that rock though

Neiteio

I just finished and came here for clarification, but find none. Did I just play this whole game as some random schmuck?
You're playing the Medic, a star soldier specializing in field surgery. He's the guy in the body armor with the gun, posing with BB in the picture the doctor shows you. BB says in the Doublethink tape: "He was always our best man." He's the guy who threw his body in front of BB to shield him from the bomb blast in GZ. Those are Paz's bones lodged in his body, the girl he failed to save. He wound up in a coma, and Zero conceived a plan to turn him into a body double: Punished Snake, a.k.a. Venom. He was already BB's best apprentice, so he had the experience, knowledge and skills. It was just a matter of making him think he's BB.

But it obviously didn't change his personality. Look at the difference between Ishmael (BB) and Ahab (Venom). Ishmael is all assertive, aggressive, Type A. Ishmael is a charming extrovert, wisecracking in the heat of battle ("I gave her a light, she took the short way down," "I'll run interference," etc). Note how Ocelot lights his cigar like a well-trained lapdog. Now look at Ahab, the soft-spoken, slow-to-anger imposter. He's primarily vengeful when acquiescing to the anger of his more assertive sub-commanders, but by nature he's more introverted, passive, Type B. He becomes more benevolent and emotionally vulnerable as the game goes on (the Paz tapes, sparing Huey, the angst over M43, etc).

In the end, the question is how he ultimately received the truth. The smirk and nod when he's told he's one-half of BB and they built the legend together suggests he's OK with the plan, in the short term. But notice how when he turns the tape, the Diamond Dogs logo in the background turns into the Outer Heaven logo. There's a time skip, to the end of MG1 when Solid Snake is at his doorstep. Venom is now covered in blood, his horn long. Solid Snake is about to kill him, and I suspect Venom is no longer happy to be the meat shield for the real BB. He punches the mirror, perhaps rejecting his fate. But the scene is open to interpretation, so that's just my take.

I feel bad for Venom. I think it's a neat way to show how the real BB turned. Instead of seeing a dramatic Darth Vader story where BB shoots up kids and commits other heinous acts, we see a story from the viewpoint of his victims. BB went along with a plan that robbed his best soldier of his identity and put him in harm's way. He went along with a plan that put -all- of the Diamond Dogs in harm's way. And he agreed to a plan where they would put the hospital in harm's way. We're seeing BB go against the values of the Boss because he is a hypocrite and a coward. He is now treating people like a means to an end, rather than the end itself.

Haunted

Hey folks, hoping ya'll can lend me a hand here. I've looked up how to unlock these missions, and I've absolutely filled the prerequisites. The guide says that in order to unlock Side Op 18, you have to complete Main Op 16 (Traitor's Caravan) and Side Op 17. I've done these missions a whole bunch of times and nothing is happening. I've even beaten both Chapters 1 and 2, and gotten Side Op 150 and the following Main Op. I have a feeling it's pretty bugged for me. Anyone else experience these issues?
The only thing I can think of is that no two side ops can exist in the same location, so maybe you've got an open sideop in the region where 18 should be. Gotta clear the other one out first for 18 to "spawn".

i'm almost to building my last platform and i've never done this. during the process of doing side-ops i just gather resources as they appear within the area of whatever mission i'm doing. i still only have 61% of the side-ops done. i will very easily get the trophies for platform build and everything rank 50, and probably the nuke too without ever grinding resources

I'm sure if I just played the rest of the game (just platinum cleanup now) I could at least come close to getting enough "naturally," but I've reached the point where I'm in danger of burning myself out on the game so I'm just trying to get the base/nuke objectives out of the way so it's one less thing to worry about going forward.

Would make sense as its not the real boss so he wouldnt have memories of Volgin and plus if i recall he doesnt know he's 'big boss' yet. But yesh the fire thing was dumb for volgin, but electricity would have made it way to ovious it was volgin

It was obvious that he was Volgin ever since we saw The Phantom Pain trailer in 2012, I guess it would've been better if none of us had seen the trailers.

I am going for the optional objectives so i cant sneak past them.

I will go for that rock though

You can put up smoke and then snipe through as shown in this video.

They are basically Joosten's lips. Her best physical feature.

And her eyes <3.

Neiteio

BTW, one of the missions I showed my non-gamer friend was M18, "Blood Runs Deep," where you rescue the child soldiers, and I may have encountered a glitch. I rescued all five kids, but when I hopped on the chopper, Kaz kept saying, "You're really going to abort the mission?" So I sat there and we took off, and the game clearly told me I rescued 5/5 kids. And yet there was no rank, no cutscene, as though I really had failed it or aborted it. I don't understand what else I could've done. This didn't happen the first time I played the mission, but go figures it happens when showing it to a friend. (No matter -- it was a still a fun showcase of stuff like fighting the gunships and Quiet's sniper support.)

sjay1994

It was obvious that he was Volgin ever since we saw The Phantom Pain trailer in 2012, I guess it would've been better if none of us had seen the trailers.

I remember back around 2013-2014 play arts kai had a prototype for a man on fire figure and it didn't even try to hide the fact it was Volgin. Had a majority of his look during the fight with him in MGS3.

They might as well have just said, "yo, Volgin is back"

Johndoey

Banned

I think him being Volgin was supposed to be a surprise, but it was a twist only people familiar with the series would care about and those people would recognize at the very least the coat or general build of the character.

Yousefb

I just "finished" (45 and 46 but not 100%) the game last night and I've been doing nothing but the read the (amazing) spoiler threads lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one who was caught off guard by the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I always loved MGS but I never played PW and PO. A lot of crap went over my head. The twist was obvious but it was just executed so damn poorly. Really the freaking prologue again?! The whole mission structure after chapter 1 was just such a chore in general. It's a shame this game started off as a 10/10 for me. It definitely has gone down substantially. Don't see myself replaying this anytime soon.

sjay1994

I think him being Volgin was supposed to be a surprise, but it was a twist only people familiar with the series would care about and those people would recognize at the very least the coat or general build of the character.

Considering that revelation only happens in a side op... yeah, his pressense wasn't really core to the game at all.

I got really excited near that ops climax, thinking "oh shit, am I going to have to fight you with CQC like in MGS3?"

Nah, Volgin realizes I am schmuck medic and goes "oops, sorry had you confused with someone else... I am going to die for realz now"

Actually that brings up a question. During what time frame did BB meet ocelot and leave via motorcycle?

Because if this was all still while Venom was passed out, then Volgin and Mantis were just dicking around while the actual target of his revenge was driving of?

sjay1994

You're playing the Medic, a star soldier specializing in field surgery. He's the guy in the body armor with the gun, posing with BB in the picture the doctor shows you. BB says in the Doublethink tape: "He was always our best man." He's the guy who threw his body in front of BB to shield him from the bomb blast in GZ. Those are Paz's bones lodged in his body, the girl he failed to save. He wound up in a coma, and Zero conceived a plan to turn him into a body double: Punished Snake, a.k.a. Venom. He was already BB's best apprentice, so he had the experience, knowledge and skills. It was just a matter of making him think he's BB.

But it obviously didn't change his personality. Look at the difference between Ishmael (BB) and Ahab (Venom). Ishmael is all assertive, aggressive, Type A. Ishmael is a charming extrovert, wisecracking in the heat of battle ("I gave her a light, she took the short way down," "I'll run interference," etc). Note how Ocelot lights his cigar like a well-trained lapdog. Now look at Ahab, the soft-spoken, slow-to-anger imposter. He's primarily vengeful when acquiescing to the anger of his more assertive sub-commanders, but by nature he's more introverted, passive, Type B. He becomes more benevolent and emotionally vulnerable as the game does on (the Paz tapes, sparing Huey, the angst over M43, etc).

In the end, the question is how he ultimately received the truth. The smirk and nod when he's told he's one-half of BB and they built the legend together suggests he's OK with the plan, in the short term. But notice how when he turns the tape, the Diamond Dogs logo in the background turns into the Outer Heaven logo. There's a time skip, to the end of MG1 when Solid Snake is at his doorstep. Venom is now covered in blood, his horn long. Solid Snake is about to kill him, and I suspect Venom is no longer happy to be the meat shield for the real BB. He punches the mirror, perhaps rejecting his fate. But the scene is open to interpretation, so that's just my take.

I feel bad for Venom. I think it's a neat way to show how the real BB turned. Instead of seeing a dramatic Darth Vader story where BB shoots up kids and commits other heinous acts, we see a story from the viewpoint of his victims. BB went along with a plan that robbed his best soldier of his identity and put him in harm's way. He went along with a plan that put -all- of the Diamond Dogs in harm's way. And he agreed to a plan where they would put the hospital in harm's way. We're seeing BB go against the values of the Boss because he is a hypocrite and a coward. He is now treating people like a means to an end, rather than the end itself.

You know... you are the only poster in this thread who actually makes the story I played actually sound pretty good on paper.

The rest of us just joke about WHOOOOOOOOOOOO, revenge and parasites.

Neiteio

Does anyone else feel like playing MG1 and 2 after completing MGSV?
I've been reading up on MG1 and MG2 and it's impressive how many novel ideas were there for the time. Even the writing is impressive for the 8-bit era. MG2 is especially notable in how it establishes the gameplay structure that MGS1 would follow.

Plus, it has a boss named "Jungle Evil," which is badass and makes me want a Fox Engine MG2 so I can see what he looks like in modern graphics.

I remember back around 2013-2014 play arts kai had a prototype for a man on fire figure and it didn't even try to hide the fact it was Volgin. Had a majority of his look during the fight with him in MGS3.

They might as well have just said, "yo, Volgin is back"

Yes, whenever he appeared in the game the first thing I thought of was that damn toy.

SomTervo

So I need to ask this, did you avoid all trailers for the game?

I watched the first one where he saw him. It looked like it could be Volgin but I thought it was more likely to be a random or one of the parasite unit. It was MGS anyway so anything could have been a ruse, so I just went in with no expectations about any of it, lowest expectations.

It was awesome on the whole.

It's symbolic, representing Kojima tuning out the concerns of his editor.

Would be spot on if the words "Kojima" and "editor" being in the same sentence wasn't hilarious in the first place

But it obviously didn't change his personality. Look at the difference between Ishmael (BB) and Ahab (Venom). Ishmael is all assertive, aggressive, Type A. Ishmael is a charming extrovert, wisecracking in the heat of battle ("I gave her a light, she took the short way down," "I'll run interference," etc). Note how Ocelot lights his cigar like a well-trained lapdog. Now look at Ahab, the soft-spoken, slow-to-anger imposter. He's primarily vengeful when acquiescing to the anger of his more assertive sub-commanders, but by nature he's more introverted, passive, Type B. He becomes more benevolent and emotionally vulnerable as the game goes on (the Paz tapes, sparing Huey, the angst over M43, etc).

Word, 100%.

There's lots about the game that's hard (impossible) to defend, but I thought the twist was great. The frustration that we didn't actually play Big Boss is real - but it's ingenious that Koji had the fucking balls to do that. It was like the oober-Raiden.

Angel_DvA

my hero, you're the real BB.

sjay1994

I watched the first one where he saw him. It looked like it could be Volgin but I thought it was more likely to be a random or one of the parasite unit. It was MGS anyway so anything could have been a ruse, so I just went in with no expectations about any of it, lowest expectations.

I just assumed the skulls and Volgin were probably going to be hallucinations caused by Mantis as they were labeled as "those who do not exist" in that trailer.

Nope... they actually do exist. Mantis is just controlling the big dumb orbital metal gear frame.

SomTervo

Actually that brings up a question. During what time frame did BB meet ocelot and leave via motorcycle?

2. IIRC this whole issue is really weird and leads to a raft of strange time problems.

Something like BB and Ocelot met up an hour after the crash, but Venom wakes up just half an hour after it, yet Ocelot meets him immediately at this half hour mark and (presumably) stays with him for good after...

There's a gif about it. It's really weird.

This guy gets it.

I just realised why he us called Venom Snake. Because he is Big Boss' venom.

Johndoey

Banned
The story is kinda like a slice of life anime, the lead is super passive and relies on the stronger personalities around him, a hot girl is really into him but he can't see the signs so she leaves, one of his buddies is the duplicitous type and the other one is angry at the world. Along the way they have wacky but ultimately meaningless adventures that culminate in a disappointing climax that leaves long time fans disgruntled.

Considering that revelation only happens in a side op... yeah, his pressense wasn't really core to the game at all.

I got really excited near that ops climax, thinking "oh shit, am I going to have to fight you with CQC like in MGS3?"

Nah, Volgin realizes I am schmuck medic and goes "oops, sorry had you confused with someone else... I am going to die for realz now"

Because if this was all still while Venom was passed out, then Volgin and Mantis were just dicking around while the actual target of his revenge was driving of?
The time was shown, it was 3 hours after the ambulance crash, before Venom wakes up inside the ambulance.

SomTervo

I just assumed the skulls and Volgin were probably going to be hallucinations caused by Mantis as they were labeled as "those who do not exist" in that trailer.

Nope... they actually do exist. Mantis is just controlling the big dumb orbital metal gear frame.

At least they cleverly telegraphed who Mantis is controlling with the little details - flaming sleeves (Volgin), domino mask (Skullface), red sash thing (Liquid), little horn (Venom).

Aside from that, yeah stupid. And telepathy has absolutely no justification. Kojima goes out of his way to make up bullshit stories for every supernatural thing in the 30-year series, except telepathy, which is just there.

I just realised why he us called Venom Snake. Because he is Big Boss' venom.

Nice!

The story is kinda like a slice of life anime, the lead is super passive and relies on the stronger personalities around him, a hot girl is really into him but he can't see the signs so she leaves, one of his buddies is the duplicitous type and the other one is angry at the world. Along the way they have wacky but ultimately meaningless adventures that culminate in a disappointing climax that leaves long time fans disgruntled.

Haha, unbelievable analogy.

I still agree with this, though:

I think it was justified in the end. His passivity. In an anime the protag is usually passive because he's a badly written shell, but in MGSV I think he's written passive because A) subconsciously he knows something is very wrong and has a constant uncanny sense that things aren't right, and B) he's the player character yooooo

sjay1994

Man... why did my metal gear have to become Resident Evil.

I'd have accepted any psychological, technological or supernatural explanation for the skulls... but nope it had to be biological.

God damn, I am so fucking annoyed by this one unit. They are so absurdly powerful, and their is no explanation to it. They can cloak, make rock armor, create rock projectiles, phase shift, have increased perception of their surroundings and its all because of "lol, parasites".They are all just a bunch of Weskers who make cyborg ninja's look tame in comparison.

I 95% expect if rising 2 actually happens, the final boss will say something along the lines of "parasites son!"

I've warmed up a lot to Venom Snake. He definitely should've gotten a hell of alot more characterization during the main game, but what we ended up with, I like him enough.

Solidus is still the most tragic Snake

SomTervo

Yes she is which is one of the main reasons I hate her inclusion in the game. Like, the only female character we get and the camera can't stop looking at her tits and ass. Plus she has a terrible characterization in general too. So we don't get any interesting characters like the Boss, Eva, or Naomi. Literally the only female character we get is reduced to a sex object that doesn't even speak. But I've already posted my long rant on why I hate Quiet so I won't go into further detail.

No. Her characterisation is excellent. She has a solid motive and backstory, her actions are all important and meaningful, when she does talk the dialogue is good, she's important to the story.

But then the camera zooms on her tits and ass. And she's naked for no reason.

She's a great character, but Kojima absolutely fucked it with the execution. The two plot problems with Quiet are 1. why doesn't she just write shit down when she fully joins Diamond Dogs and 2. in the end she sacrifices herself to save sexy male protagonist - lame. At least her send-off is pretty meaningful.

Johndoey

Banned
I've warmed up a lot to Venom Snake. He definitely should've gotten a hell of alot more characterization during the main game, but what we ended up with, I like him enough.

Solidus is still the most tragic Snake

Fuck him, asshole used child soldiers.

No. Her characterisation is excellent. She has a solid motive and backstory, her actions are all important and meaningful, when she does talk the dialogue is good, she's important to the story.

But then the camera zooms on her tits and ass. And she's naked for no reason.

She's a great character, but Kojima absolutely fucked it with the execution. The two plot problems with Quiet are 1. why doesn't she just write shit down when she fully joins Diamond Dogs and 2. in the end she sacrifices herself to save sexy male protagonist - lame. At least her send-off is pretty meaningful.

I would argue if your remove Quiet from the story it actually affects almost nothing.

Reebot

Man... why did my metal gear have to become Resident Evil.

I'd have accepted any psychological, technological or supernatural explanation for the skulls... but nope it had to be biological.

God damn, I am so fucking annoyed by this one unit. They are so absurdly powerful, and their is no explanation to it. They can cloak, make rock armor, create rock projectiles, phase shift, have increased perception of their surroundings and its all because of "lol, parasites".They are all just a bunch of Weskers who make cyborg ninja's look tame in comparison.

I 95% expect if rising 2 actually happens, the final boss will say something along the lines of "parasites son!"

That's another huge problem with the Skulls: they make everyone in the future games a damn idiot for not using the parasites.

Guys, go get some super powers. Kojima made it so they're just bugs that anyone can and will grab. No need to mess around with all this technology crap.

Top Bottom