• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Reebot

Gotta disagree there. If anything, MGS4 retroactively makes MGS2 worse by contextualising and tying up loose ends that didn't need it (tries to, at least).

I think MGS2 is at it's best when considered with MGS1 only.

Yeah, spot on. In typical Kojima fashion, over-explaining ruins the core story.

Wagram

MGS3 = MGS V > 2 > 1 > PW >>> 4

Opinions be damned, but I have to say; how dare you compare a masterpiece like 3 to the disappointment that is V. The list is terrible to me, but it's your list and that's the only thing that should matter at the end of the day!

Khal_B

Volgin just wanted a hug :-(

I'm still pissed that we didn't get a proper boss battle with that final scene of him. Find body, press button, watch cut scene and....done. I love this game to death, but the missed opportunities in this game man...

Reebot

Volgin is the true hero of TPP.

He saved BB from XOF several times.

He saved Venom from being shot in the face in the Devil's House.

He distracted Skull Face by sacrificing his own body under Sahelanthropus's wheel.

And all he wanted in return was a hug, but he had a heart attack just before his only wish was filled :(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This. There's someone back in OT1 who said he considers MGS2 the true ending of the MGS series. And I think that reading checks out really well.

Yup. Not far from the truth.

I have to say though, I love the ending of MGS2. The worst bit is Snake's epilogue speech.

fastmower

And yet things are far more gentle now than they were 2 weeks ago where if you even tried to write something positive about MGSV, you were kinda feeling as the discussion freak.

People keep dissecting the game and the ripple effects it has across the saga and how it affects things you knew about characters and events. And you may call bullshit, but I do strongly believe that MGSV will not remain as "god-awful" as the hyperbole suggests and will be better received in a few months.

Just wait for the LTTP threads or the threads that have people replay the game. Its bound to happen.

True that. Or to put it better, they are just too itchy to pull the trigger and to draw conclusions.
I think people are just tired of criticizing it. Most people I know have written the game off.

Chinner

Banned
Putting aside the story elements, I feel the fulton destroys the difficulty in this game.

In other MGS games, you would have to make a choice about using lethal/non lethal weapons and the best way to dispose of enemies. You would have to think about hiding their bodies or if you can exit an areas before your enemy wake up. In TPP, you just tranq + fulton everybody and then you're done. There really is not lasting consequence or negative to fultoning the enemy. While you can play the game however you want, you do lose out on the benefits if you do not conform to this playstyle.

I vastly prefer GZ. You start the game with limited weapons, encouraging you to search the map and find better weapons. The map design itself is open, has various levels and layouts to it and oozes with atmosphere. I can't really think of anywhere in TPP which is as memorable as Camp Omega. This is hammered in by the fact that GZ has 7 missions based in Camp Omega, each one is completely different and fresh. This could be using an audio tape to find out the location of your target, covering an agent while you're in a helicopter, infiltrating a base in the back of a truck or using the targeting system to differentiate between human and alien. The missions in GZ are just more creative than anything in TPP, which is too scared to try something different.

Neiteio

Volgin is the true hero of TPP.

He saved BB from XOF several times.

He saved Venom from being shot in the face in the Devil's House.

He distracted Skull Face by sacrificing his own body under Sahelanthropus's wheel.

And all he wanted in return was a hug, but he had a heart attack just before his only wish was filled :(
Poor Volgin. ;_;

Putting aside the story elements, I feel the fulton destroys the difficulty in this game.

In other MGS games, you would have to make a choice about using lethal/non lethal weapons and the best way to dispose of enemies. You would have to think about hiding their bodies or if you can exit an areas before your enemy wake up. In TPP, you just tranq + fulton everybody and then you're done. There really is not lasting consequence or negative to fultoning the enemy. While you can play the game however you want, you do lose out on the benefits if you do not conform to this playstyle.

Fultoning someone almost always catches the attention of other guards. Moreso than shooting a guy with a silenced lethal weapon and hiding the body.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely. MGS4 provided the much needed answers to MGS2 and did it in a spectacular way.

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-S-NWLY.gif

brau

I vastly prefer GZ. You start the game with limited weapons, encouraging you to search the map and find better weapons. The map design itself is open, has various levels and layouts to it and oozes with atmosphere. I can't really think of anywhere in TPP which is as memorable as Camp Omega. This is hammered in by the fact that GZ has 7 missions based in Camp Omega, each one is completely different and fresh. This could be using an audio tape to find out the location of your target, covering an agent while you're in a helicopter, infiltrating a base in the back of a truck or using the targeting system to differentiate between human and alien. The missions in GZ are just more creative than anything in TPP, which is too scared to try something different.

It really does. That and the auto regen really take away a lot of the risk of the game, being extra careful.

Also, the buddies make the game so much easier. I kinda wish they were not there. Playing without them makes it a lot more interesting.

SomTervo

Opinions be damned, but I have to say; how dare you compare a masterpiece like 3 to the disappointment that is V. The list is terrible to me, but it's your list and that's the only thing that should matter at the end of the day!

MGS3 is a masterpiece in terms of quality gameplay, detail, adventure and a phenomenal story

MGSV is a masterpiece in terms of unprecedented, phenomenal gameplay, detail and adventure

All the others ones are brilliant, too, but each have their own shortcomings (mainly too many cutscenes). For me, too many cutscenes will always trump too few cutscenes as the worse issue, so 4 and 2 get bumped lower. 1 is a little gem and the innovator. And Kojima just lucked out with how good MGS3's cutscenes were. I consider both MGS3 and MGSV masterpieces in almost opposite directions. Equal opposites.

Definitely. MGS4 provided the much needed answers to MGS2 and did it in the most godawful, nightmarish way possible.

Fixed that for you.

Yup. Not far from the truth.

I have to say though, I love the ending of MGS2. The worst bit is Snake's epilogue speech.

I think Snake's speech is where it really loses me. On paper, it's an utterly phenomenal ending. But it drags... And it drags... And it drags... And then just when it's really lost you, Snake starts talking.

Then it's fucking game over for me. I just can't be arsed with that shite.

Chinner

Banned
I

Also, the buddies make the game so much easier. I kinda wish they were not there. Playing without them makes it a lot more interesting.

Agreed. While the buddies have a lot of personality, they only simplify the game and make it easier. I don't think they make the game better for it.

Johndoey

Banned

So is Volgin's corpse just left to rot on the quarantine platform? Cause they could have just given him a proper funeral.

Well, of course I'm gonna disagree with that sentiment.

TPP is much, much more coherent, clear of purpose and somewhat a labour of love, as opposed to the clearly laborious, death threat inspired, "everything and the kitchen sink" pile of fan wankery called MGS4. :)

MGS3 in fourth place? Interesting.

Fan wank makes the world go round, don't you dare insult it!

I have a theory. Maybe Quiet is supposed to be an idiot, I mean if you look at it she never does anything that could be called particularly intelligent or sensible even when she was trying to prove she wasn't a threat to the base she was leaving her cell an' shit. Not to mention her handling of the whole, "slowly walk up on a dude and mouth shank him" thing. Is it possible I had it all wrong? Could it be Kojima was subtly writing a dipshit on purpose?

lol jk

Chinner

Banned
They didn't realize he was on their side all along.

Volgin sacrificed his life and his honor for his adopted land.

Don't you see? Volgin was actually there to help Big Boss accomplish his mission. None of his achievements are real, this was the outcome Zero wanted all along.

Edzi

Not really, it was a fantastic story and the only way to end this series. Definitely better than the way MGS2 did it.

Just remember, you are in the minority here, dude. ;)

Why is it so hard for you to understand why people dislike the MGS4 plot? I mean, come on, the same thing is happening with MGSV but this time you just happen to be on the other side.

Ishida

Banned
Why is it so hard for you to understand why people dislike the MGS4 plot? I mean, come on, you've essentially done the same thing with MGSV.

Huh.... What are you talking about? I'm well aware of why people dislike MGS4's plot and I've never stated otherwise. I know why Screaming Meat hates it. What's your problem?

J-Rod

Fultoning everything makes it easy, but it slows the pace down. I either have to haul people out range one by one then fulton soldiers I may not even want or I start a chain reaction of shooting everyone to prevent the next closest guy from noticing the last person I shot.

I think they want you to just sneak by the majority of enemies rather than tranqulizing or killing then cleaning up the mess. I'm having a lot more fun doing it that way and it seems like areas are designed for that sort of approach.

Roni

Gold Member
Why is it so hard for you to understand why people dislike the MGS4 plot? I mean, come on, the same thing is happening with MGSV but this time you just happen to be on the other side.

He might understand, but disagree. He simply stated not liking MGS4 makes him the minority, considering it's the GotY for 2008. Twice.

Edzi

I think people are just tired of criticizing it. Most people I know have written the game off.

This seems to be the case, but thankfully there are at least a few members sticking around this thread to argue with those who can't see the games flaws. They're the true heroes.

Huh.... What are you talking about? I'm well aware of why people dislike MGS4's plot and I've never stated otherwise. I know why Screaming Meat hates it. What's your problem?

My problem is your blind defense of MGS4 literally whenever it comes up, usually with quips about how those who criticize it are "in the minority" as if that somehow diminishes the validity of their position.

I don't even hate MGS4, but seeing you preemptively dismiss criticism any time the game get's brought up is grating, and it's especially hard to see given your reaction to MGSV.

Ishida

Banned
He might understand, but disagree. He simply stated not liking MGS4 makes him the minority, considering it's the GotY for 2008. Twice.

Exactly. I'm not saying "You are wrong!" or "I don't understand why you hate it". I'm just saying he's in the minority regarding his opinion of the game. That's all. Doesn't make his opinion any less valid.

My problem is your blind defense of MGS4 literally whenever it comes up, usually with quips about how those who criticize it are "in the minority" as if that somehow diminishes the validity of their position.

That's not true.

tariniel

It really does. That and the auto regen really take away a lot of the risk of the game, being extra careful.

I especially agree about the buddies. Once I got DD, I almost never used the horse, because auto-marking was just so nice. Then once I got Quiet, I never used anything else until after mission 45. She is completely OP, especially once you grab the silenced tranq sniper for her. I would go into a camp and just have her tranq everyone she could see, and go in to fulton. Not because it was the most fun way, but because it felt efficient. I kind of feel like I wasted some nice moments by doing this.

She was also really useful as a distraction in some of those missions where every god damn enemy has a riot suit (one mission where you have to fulton some containers, especially). Even if she can't tranq them through the helmet, they all freak out and look for her, so you can crawl through.

I think it might be interesting to go and replay some missions without her, but I probably wont for quite some time.

Neiteio

The results of the recount always felt like trying to put the whiners in their place more than an actual validation of MGS4's quality.

But I'm trying to be positive so I'm not going to write up my usual 2,000-word dissertation on why MGS4 fails hard in many ways.

Johndoey

Banned
I like to think that Kaz retrofits Volgin's body to grill his burgers.

Cannibals are a vastly under-served market in the industry, plus it would make sense as he is grilled to perfection already.

The results of the recount always felt like trying to put the whiners in their place more than an actual validation of MGS4's quality.

But I'm trying to be positive so I'm not going to write up my usual 2,000-word dissertation on why MGS4 fails hard in many ways.

But surely even you must admit Solid Snake and Otacon finally settling down to raise their boring Russian daughter was a great conclusion.

I love specific parts of MGS4

Neiteio

Cannibals are a vastly under-served market in the industry, plus it would make sense as he is grilled to perfection already.
lol, I'm saying Kaz uses the body to heat the burgers, I'm not saying he eats the body itself!

(Although that would make for good puns. "Russian to Miller's Max Buns right now for great deals of the KGB Krispy Kut!")

AniHawk

mgs4's ending is such a weird thing. i feel like the people who really like it are the ones who experienced mgs1 as a kid and thought the game was an example of good, mature storytelling instead of a pulpy story about clones fighting over a robotic nuke-launching t-rex.

Ishida

Banned
The only minority we're in is the one that votes in GOTY threads. MGS4 was a garbage story in the body of 1/3rd of a game worth of gameplay.

Not true at all. Metacritic also acknowledges the game's high quality in their user reviews.

latest

mgs4's ending is such a weird thing. i feel like the people who really like it are the ones who experienced mgs1 as a kid and thought the game was an example of good, mature storytelling instead of a pulpy story about clones fighting over a robotic nuke-launching t-rex.

Not really.

I loved the ending and I think the games are a pulpy story about clones fighting over a robotic nuke-launching t-rex.

Roni

Gold Member

Same difference to me. To put it in perspective, imagine all detractors of the game suddenly disappear from the face of the Earth. The game would be considered perfect, right? So if the detractors exist but are not in the majority, should be clear the game isn't bad when looking at it in a macro scale.

People can't handle that so they get loud and get hyperbolic.

Edzi

Tell me more, please. You seem to have a personal issue with me. Do you want to chat and see if you can get rid of that sentiment?

Nah, no personal issue, it's just kind of annoying. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who's called you out on it before either, but it's fine.

Still, I wonder how your defense will evolve if MGSV happens to win GOTY as well.

Ishida

Banned
Nah, no personal issue, it's just kind of annoying. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who's called you out on it before either, but it's fine.

Ignore lists exist for a reason, I think. ;)

And I don't give two shits about "who calle me out on it", since I don't care about their opinions about my opinions. It's a good way of living. :D

Waitaminute... by that rationale, does that mean TPP is the better game?

Perhaps it is. I don't like it, though.

Neiteio

MGS4's ending was narrowly saved by the bit where BB says, "Maybe the world would be better off without snakes." Those 30 seconds were legitimately well-directed, written, and acted.

The rest of MGS4's ending is like an all-time low for videogames in terms of tedium and cringe. Although I think the worst cutscenes were actually Meryl and Johnny in Arsenal Gear and the never-ending massacre on the river in Act 3. And anything involving Drebin. And the codec with Rose in Act 2.

Ishida

Banned
Still, I wonder how your defense will evolve if MGSV happens to win GOTY as well.

I don't care if MGSV wins GOTY. Unlike you, I don't get all defensive and loud if I happen to be in a minority. Unlike you, I actually acknowledge being a minority by disliking this particular game in the series. I don't get angry about it. I don't act like the people who like it are wrong.

If MGSV wins GOTY on GAF, then it means that a lot of people loved the game. That's it. Why act like I'm part of a majority or part of the overall consensus?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care if MGSV wins GOTY. Unlike you, I don't get all defensive and loud if I happen to be in a minority. Unlike you, I actually acknowledge being a minority by disliking this particular game in the series. I don't get angry about it. I don't act like the people who like it are wrong.

If MGSV wins GOTY on GAF, then it means that a lot of people loved the game. That's it. Why act like I'm part of a majority or part of the overall consensus?

Does it make it a "masterpiece" though?

Neiteio

2015 is a much stronger year than 2008. I bet MGSV will make the Top Five, but Bloodborne will probably take No. 1 with The Old Hunters DLC. There's a lot of love for Witcher 3, as well. Fallout 4 has many people ready to love it (I'm not interested, but even I can see this). And the Nintendo vote will champion Splatoon and/or Mario Maker.

Such a great year for gaming. :)

Top Bottom