• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

It is very well acted, but I do wish there were fewer pregnant pauses, makes it harder to find specific bits of dialogue.

I still think it's way more likely and sensible if she's just talking to both at the same time. It's not that she thinks the mammal pod is actually The Boss, it's just that it she's talking to it as one would talk to a deceased loved one at their grave. If their grave had also formerly functioned as a receptacle of their postmortem will and was also recording everything, and had shreds of their soul left in it.

Im not even sure how she would program anything into the mammal pod from inside it anyway. if she had access to it's internal systems she could have just opened the pod let herself out. The only thing in there is whatever circuit boards weren't removed by Big boss whenever he gutted the thing. Besides, she talks about working for cypher to create the patriots AI immediately before saying 'there's still hope' etc. she didn't put anything in mammal pod. I'm positive of that. Other than that, I really have no clue and don't pretend to.

Ishida

Banned
Does it make it a "masterpiece" though?

Perhaps it does! The fact that I disliked and was disappointed with the game doesn't mean it may not be a masterpiece for the majority of the fans. I understand why people liked it. I'm not shocked at the good opinions. I just happen to be in the vocal minority this time around.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps it does! The fact that I disliked and was disappointed with the game doesn't mean it may not be a masterpiece for the majority of the fans. I understand why people liked it. I'm not shocked at the good opinions. I just happen to be in the vocal minority this time around.

I'm teasing, man. xx

2015 is a much stronger year than 2008. I bet MGSV will make the Top Five, but Bloodborne will probably take No. 1 with The Old Hunters DLC. There's a lot of love for Witcher 3, as well. Fallout 4 has many people ready to love it (I'm not interested, but even I can see this). And the Nintendo vote will champion Splatoon and/or Mario Maker.

Such a great year for gaming. :)

I think Bloodborne is just a hair too niche to win, but maybe you're right. I think MGSV, Witcher, and Bloodborne are definitely the big three as it stands right now.

fastmower

Yeah, that certainly *snigger* validates *smirk* what you're sayi---

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! P-please, go on, go on... post the Metacritic as proof of you'r---

tumblr_ln4ml61TkK1qg1srq.gif

I'm sorry! It's too much!

You're kinda stepping over the line with your responses...

I also doubt the people who didn't like MGSV will come around in the following years, MGS2 was only ever understood because of MGS4. This time around, there will be no sequel to expose the inner workings of what was shown in V in a nice 4 hour long cutscene that features a powerpoint presentation and visual representations of all the concepts.

It's all in tapes and not in a streamlined way, most haters won't muster the patience to listen to them and make sense of it.

I understand your sentiment, but as someone who didn't enjoy MGSV's story, it isn't because I didn't have the patience to listen to the tapes. I listened to everything. Saw everything. Did everything. I'm disappointed in this game because of the extreme shifts in pacing and quality. There's a massive shift in tone from the hospital and opening to the rest of the game that feels awkward and stilted. "Here's an amazing story piece. Okay now here's a cutscene at Mother Base, and another cutscene at Mother Base." As the story goes on, less and less original cutscenes and set pieces are seen. It becomes pretty tiring rehashes of the same settings. The story also doesn't really go anywhere. By this I mean, "How does MGSV change the context of Metal Gear?" And it doesn't. We know that Big Boss had a soldier so loyal that he was willing to die for him in Outer Heaven. That doesn't tell us anything about BB. In the process we just get confusing characterizations of Ocelot, Kaz, and all the rest.

What are these characters motivations? What do they want? Repeatedly Kojima has been unwilling to make characters that are heroes now actually villians. Many people thought that this game would be the one to show you the evil in some of these men. But Venom just saves children, and does good. Where are the men turning to demons? Where is the conflict of ideals that Metal Gear is known for?

The story boils down to "Get revenge on Cipher and Skullface for the attack on Mother Base". And that's all well and fine, if it were a bit more well executed. The pacing is just off. It's hard to care at all about any of these characters when they feel more like cardboard cutouts saying "pretty good" than actual characters.

There's basically two possibilities: Either Kojima didn't get a chance to realize his vision, due to budgetary concerns or a vision that was beyond the scope of the game, OR Kojima's vision was just garbage, and he needs a much better writer to tie together his madness.

I don't know man. This is my favorite Metal Gear gameplay wise, but the emptiness of the characters makes it so difficult for me to replay it now.

Johndoey

Banned
lol, I'm saying Kaz uses the body to heat the burgers, I'm not saying he eats the body itself!

(Although that would make for good puns. "Russian to Miller's Max Buns right now for great deals of the KGB Krispy Kut!")

Is it weird my mind when straight to the logistics of eating Volgin since he is almost definitely overcooked. What does Volgin taste like? He doesn't seem to decompose well so probably full of psychic preservatives.

SRG01

Fultoning someone almost always catches the attention of other guards. Moreso than shooting a guy with a silenced lethal weapon and hiding the body.

The problem is that it's trivial to carry the person to a safer location for fultoning. Or to tranq the person around the corner and then fulton. I could go on.

The problem with MGSV is that there is zero drawback with non-lethal and is in fact the preferred method of gameplay. Other MGS games force you to think about lethal vs non-lethal, with non-lethal being definitely harder because of guard routes, the tranq timer, and so forth. Specifically with the tranq timer, it's essentially irrelevant because of the fulton.

Finally, some free time. I've been itching to get back to this thread.

I think some people may be taking the meta-narrative element (player = "Big Boss") a bit too literally.

The meta-narrative begins and ends with the idea that you, the player, with your own skill and ingenuity, overcame the challenges crafted for you by the designers, advancing the story from beginning to end. You were "writing" the battlefield narrative, and only the battlefield narrative. And you must "write" that narrative in order to advance the rest of the story.

But the story still exists separate from you. In real life, you are probably not a star soldier specializing in field surgery who took a bomb blast for your CO and was reworked in his image and put in harm's way so you could perpetuate his legend after a nine-year absence, drawing out his enemies while he works on building his military nation in secret. In real life, you may not be a haunted introvert who submitted to your assertive sub-commanders and pursued their quest for revenge, only to feel unfulfilled once you had it and become more benevolent toward your enemies after the fact. In real life, you may not be able to empathize with monsters like Quiet; you may not make well-meaning but ill-informed decisions about how to handle child soldiers; you may not think that putting down your terminally ill men is an act of mercy or the only way to prevent an outbreak. Heck, in real life, you might not even be a man.

But that's fine because that's not your story. That story is the story of Venom, a.k.a. Punished Snake, a.k.a. Ahab, a.k.a. The Medic, a.k.a. Big Boss' Phantom.

Only the battlefield narrative is yours, and that narrative is the act of turning the pages. The game allows you to define several in-story elements of The Medic — his name, his face, his birthday — but beyond that his personality and premise is fixed, many of his decisions are already decided by the plot, and at that point you're experiencing his story. Again, it's you turning the pages, your skills carrying you from the beginning to the end. This is true of every MGS game. It's just that for the last MGS game, Kojima allowed you to add a personal touch and take superficial ownership of the character as a sort of "thank you" for all your years of playing his games. It's recognizing that he wrote a story but you had to overcome challenges to see it through. You had to earn it. It's fitting, then, that this nod to the player comes at the end of the game.

And like I said, the value of the twist from a story standpoint is not whether Venom will be remembered (even though his actions undeniably shaped the world, preventing the fall of Western civilization, for starters), but rather, seeing how the real BB "broke bad." To quote myself from earlier in the thread: Instead of seeing a dramatic Darth Vader story where BB shoots up kids and commits other heinous acts, we see a story from the viewpoint of his victims. BB went along with a plan that robbed his best soldier of his identity and put him in harm's way; he went along with a plan that put -all- of the Diamond Dogs in harm's way; and he agreed to a plan where they would put the hospital in harm's way. We're seeing BB go against the values of the Boss because he is a hypocrite and a coward. He is now treating people like a means to an end, rather than the end itself. Venom might not be able to see this -- not until it's too late, anyways -- but from the player's standpoint it's clear we're looking at a different BB, post-GZ, and the one that needed to be established for the events to come.

Yup. Great post.

Ok guise, enuf.

MGSV-TPP-Mark-Twain.jpg

MGS4 is my favorite one of the series but for very different reasons. As a guy who bought in on the whole Kojima craziness ever since 1997-1998 and been following the series, seeing how everything is unfolding with these characters and then seeing it all tie up in such a batshit insane crazy way that's also satisfying and memorable is why I love it.

Only Kojima can make nuclear/military talk, family drama, technology babble, pervy shit, literal shit and everything in between make sense. Like if that shit happens in any series, I'd be taken out from the experience but with MGS? I always feel at home. Let alone all the insane detail within those games and the shit tons of Easter eggs.

Neiteio

I think Bloodborne is just a hair too niche to win, but maybe you're right. I think MGSV, Witcher, and Bloodborne are definitely the big three as it stands right now.
For me, personally, I'm split between Bloodborne and MGSV for GOTY.

As for the rest... I fully enjoyed Arkham Knight (no issues on PS4, and I love the Batmobile), so that will likely be Top Five, as well. I also loved Resident Evil Revelations 2 -- surprisingly one of the best REs, full stop -- and Splatoon is one of the best new IPs in ages. Majora's Mask 3D was a perfect remake. I picked up Mario Maker on Day One but haven't even tried it yet. I expect great things from Yoshi's Wooly World. I'm interested in Xenoblade Chronicles but don't anticipate starting it this year (it comes out in December!). I'm interested in Transformers Devastation, even though I'm not a Transformers fan, because it's a Platinum title from the guy who made Rising.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. WHAT A YEAR!

As for the rest... I fully enjoyed Arkham Knight (no issues on PS4, and I love the Batmobile), so that will likely be Top Five, as well. I also loved Resident Evil Revelations 2 -- surprisingly one of the best REs, full stop -- and Splatoon is one of the best new IPs in ages. Majora's Mask 3D was a perfect remake. I picked up Mario Maker on Day One but haven't even tried it yet. I expect great things from Yoshi's Wooly World. I'm interested in Xenoblade Chronicles but don't anticipate starting it this year (it comes out in December!). I'm interested in Transformers Devastation, even though I'm not a Transformers fan, because it's a Platinum title from the guy who made Rising.

Indeed.

2015 has been so good that even Destiny got good.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Bloodbourne is next for me. Can't wait.

Johndoey

Banned
Are we doing GOTY talk now? Cause if so Arkham Knight all the way or maybe The Witcher 3. Shit no. I forgot Until Dawn that was def my favorite. I haven't bought that many games this year so MGSV makes my top ten just barely, I'll check again after I grab Fallout 4.

For me it's between MGS5 and Super Mario Maker as of right now. Going by this thread it seems not many played SMM or own a WiiU which is a shame because it's so damn fun.

Are we doing GOTY talk now? Cause if so Arkham Knight all the way.

I liked Arkham Knight a lot, but it's towards the bottom of my top 10. Doesn't compare to the first two, personally.

My top 5 right now is probably:

MGSV
Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Mario Maker
Splatoon

I'm still working on Undertale though, and that could make it in if it keeps up.

MGSV will shit on Bloodborne when it comes to GOTY.
For me it's between MGS5 and Super Mario Maker as of right now. Going by this thread it seems not many played SMM or own a WiiU which is a shame because it's so damn fun.
I have it but wasn't done with MGSV and now Uncharted has arrived.

Chinner

Banned
I need to play more games, but so far my goty is...

1. watcher 3
2. bloodgone
3. uncharted collection

11. mgsv

still need to play lots of stuff.

Neiteio

Like I said, I bought Mario Maker the day it came out. I just haven't had a chance to play it yet since all of my gaming time has gone toward MGSV.

Mario Maker really does look incredible, though. GameXplain has been posting videos of the levels people are making and some of them are downright inspired. And since it's Mario gameplay, they're intrinsically fun, as well.

Feel free to PM me a list of recommended levels if you have the time and inclination. I'd like to have a starting point when I finally boot up the game.

Neiteio

Regarding GOTY, I'm almost 100% sure MGSV will take it. Followed by Arkham Knight and Bloodborne.
I think Bloodborne will win because The Old Hunters DLC is close to voting season and GAF is fairly unified in their love of the Souls series at this point. And Bloodborne is absolutely a deserving a candidate.

I'd be happy with either MGSV or Bloodborne winning, though, so it's all good in my book.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ohohohoho
We'll see about that.

I played an hour of it after I finished Chapter 1 of MGSV and it was glorious.

From that hour alone, I think it's probably the best of the Souls game, at least mechanically. I'll reserve final judgement till I've finished it, of course. :D

Ishida

Banned
I think Bloodborne will win because The Old Hunters DLC is close to voting season and GAF is fairly unified in their love of the Souls series at this point. And Bloodborne is absolutely a deserving a candidate.

I'd be happy with either MGSV or Bloodborne winning, though, so it's all good in my book.

Ah, you mean on GAF? Then yeah, I think Bloodborne has a bigger chance of winning here. But I'd say overall MGSV will take the cake on most forums/pages/specialized media. Reviewers went completely apeshit over this game.

Johndoey

Banned

From that hour alone, I think it's probably the best of the Souls game, at least mechanically. I'll reserve final judgement till I've finished it, of course. :D

It's super streamlined and simple compared to the Souls games but personally I think its far, far superior mechanically.

Neiteio

People will glare in my direction for saying this, but Screaming Meat... Use a guide. At least in regards to missables. You can literally miss 60% of the content in Bloodborne's campaign if you don't know where to look. I'm talking entire areas and areas within areas, each complete with their own bosses. You'll want to see it all, so make sure you use a missables guide of some sort.

Roni

Gold Member
I understand your sentiment, but as someone who didn't enjoy MGSV's story, it isn't because I didn't have the patience to listen to the tapes. I listened to everything. Saw everything. Did everything. I'm disappointed in this game because of the extreme shifts in pacing and quality. There's a massive shift in tone from the hospital and opening to the rest of the game that feels awkward and stilted.

It's OK if you didn't like the pacing. That's expected with new territory and MGSV does explore new territory when it comes to storytelling. Kojima has tirelessly said that in a concrete and objective way. But with statements like this:

The story also doesn't really go anywhere. By this I mean, "How does MGSV change the context of Metal Gear?" And it doesn't. We know that Big Boss had a soldier so loyal that he was willing to die for him in Outer Heaven. That doesn't tell us anything about BB. In the process we just get confusing characterizations of Ocelot, Kaz, and all the rest.

What are these characters motivations? What do they want? Repeatedly Kojima has been unwilling to make characters that are heroes now actually villians. Many people thought that this game would be the one to show you the evil in some of these men. But Venom just saves children, and does good. Where are the men turning to demons? Where is the conflict of ideals that Metal Gear is known for?

The story boils down to "Get revenge on Cipher and Skullface for the attack on Mother Base". And that's all well and fine, if it were a bit more well executed. The pacing is just off. It's hard to care at all about any of these characters when they feel more like cardboard cutouts saying "pretty good" than actual characters.

Makes me think you didn't really get the story. Kojima was never going to let us play a villain and Kojima has never let us play a character that wasn't being played/manipulated in some level.

In this case, we - the players, are shown as a soldier who drinks too much of the kool-aid and doesn't even realize we're being parasitized by a heartless commander who is out for himself. If Ken Levine had written this story, people would be all over this shit praising this as one of the greatest stories of all time. And that's not Big Boss suddenly waking up and saying: alright, now I'm evil. He, at first, simply accepts and goes along with a ridiculous plan envisioned by Zero and transmitted by Ocelot that his old self would never comply with. That's the beginning of the end for him and we get to see a spark of the that in the background, just like every other game ever did with meaningful plot points that concern the bigger overarching story.

We knew Ocelot was Big Boss' pal from MGS4 but we never saw that happening, needed to be shown in MGSV. And he presents a nice counter to Kaz's impulsive behavior when it comes to Cipher.

Kaz was an awesome character who was split between burning those who wronged him and still trying to build a better future by educating those children instead of putting them to fight, like Venom/Big Boss wanted to.

Like I said, there's a lot in this game... But you need to think about it, not finish listening to the tape and go: "Aw, fuck it. Goddamn Kojima shat all over my lore".

Neiteio

Ah, you mean on GAF? Then yeah, I think Bloodborne has a bigger chance of winning here. But I'd say overall MGSV will take the cake on most forums/pages/specialized media. Reviewers went completely apeshit over this game.
Oh, I thought we were talking GAF. If you mean the media in general, I imagine MGSV and Witcher 3 will be the top vote-getters.

KOMANI

KOMANI

It only gets better. The Boss fights are incredible.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's super streamlined and simple compared to the Souls games but personally I think its far, far superior mechanically.

Cool. I'm okay with that if it makes the game better. The setting really grabs me.

People will glare in my direction for saying this, but Screaming Meat... Use a guide. At least in regards to missables. You can literally miss 60% of the content in Bloodborne's campaign if you don't know where to look. I'm talking entire areas and areas within areas, each complete with their own bosses. You'll want to see it all, so make sure you use a missables guide of some sort.

Almost certainly will on a second playthrough. All I need to know is whether there is a katana in the game and where do I find it. XD

It only gets better. The Boss fights are incredible.

Awesome!

KOMANI

KOMANI
On his second play through. For his first he should play it cold.

Johndoey

Banned
Right now i'm feeling like

1. Until Dawn
2. Witcher
3. Arkham Knight
4. Bloodborne
5. Soma (If it maintains)/ Undertale (If it maintains)

KOMANI

KOMANI
The best boss fights in Bloodborne are in the chalice dungeons, so I recommend doing those, too, even if the level design is more formulaic.
I don't know about that. The bosses are great wherever you are. The chalice dungeons are nauseating to go through.

Neiteio

On his second play through. For his first he should play it cold.
I rarely have time for second playthroughs since I move onto the next game, so I try to see everything in one go. But if you're willing to go through multiple times, I guess a cold playthrough works fine.

SomTervo

Not really, it was a fantastic story and the only way to end this series. Definitely better than the way MGS2 did it.

So many things about it were awful. Snake's final moments after not-shooting himself in the head. Big Boss's appearance was great but he's written like an absolute drip. Buddy or whatever wa awful. Meryl and Otacon were awful. The Ocelot fight was kinda OK but IIRC it was still kinda overblown.

That's ignoring the fact that the last cutscene(s) take like 2 hours.

Just absolutely heinous

Johndoey

Banned
Cool. I'm okay with that if it makes the game better. The setting really grabs me.

Almost certainly will on a second playthrough. All I need to know is whether there is a katana in the game and where do I find it. XD

Awesome!

Yes and its more toward the end of the game (if I recall correctly), but I don't think you can easily miss it if you do your due diligence exploring. Also talk to all the NPCs until they start exactly repeating.

Send the cannibal to the clinic

KOMANI

KOMANI
I beat all of the chalice dungeon bosses. The hardest ones are harder than anything in the main campaign. Here's me fighting Defiled Watchdog -- you're forced to fight it at half HP. Many of its moves can OHKO. One of the toughest fights in the series, alongside DS2's Fume Knight.
I know man (or woman). I plantinumed it. Best to refrain talking about Bloodborne when there's people who are just starting to play it. They should experience it themselves. It's better that way.

Yo Neito, do we know what's going on with these costumes DLC for TPP yet? I don't see em on the PSN.

Neiteio

I know man (or woman). I plantinumed it. Best to refrain talking about Bloodborne when there's people who are just starting to play it. They should experience it themselves. It's better that way.

Yo Neito, do we know what's going on with these costumes DLC for TPP yet? I don't see em on the PSN.
I'm wondering that myself. I'm eager to get The Boss outfit. I think someone in the DLC thread posted a pic with the date Oct. 20 for PS4. Maybe Microsoft got some sort of early exclusivity deal?

Ishida

Banned
So many things about it were awful. Snake's final moments after not-shooting himself in the head. Big Boss's appearance was great but he's written like an absolute drip. Buddy or whatever wa awful. Meryl and Otacon were awful. The Ocelot fight was kinda OK but IIRC it was still kinda overblown.

Just absolutely heinous

Well I disagree. That whole scene was just plain awesome and very emotional.

And I love that the last cutscene is as long as a feature film. It was the only and best way to end a series famous for its long cutscenes.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm wondering that myself. I'm eager to get The Boss outfit. I think someone in the DLC thread posted a pic with the date Oct. 20 for PS4. Maybe Microsoft got some sort of early exclusivity deal?
Wtf!?! It was up and then taken down yesterday!

Johndoey

Banned

Just absolutely heinous

Don't you dare Otacon is the greatest
waifu

Top Bottom