• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Reebot

G6y5oRs.png

No traps
No chest striations
No shoulders
No ab definition
No lats

0/10 no mirin

AniHawk

sorry for reposting - still have questions about the series:

the boss wants to protect america and goes to extreme lengths to do this, including going down in history as a traitor and making her apprentice kill her. this sets in motion a shitload of stuff for the next 50 years.

big boss rejects the idea of ends justifying the means and tries saving the world through his own superhero spinoff group where he's in charge (again no 1970-1975 stories for me to understand this better). he's disillusioned with the system and tries to find a better way.

zero on the other hand thinks the boss had some pretty good ideas, and uses the philosopher's legacy recovered during mgs 3 (it's been some time) to kickstart cipher. i believe he thinks he can keep the world safe on his own. skull face is a bad guy and really obviously a bad guy, but for some reason he's a person zero trusts a lot. skull face incapacitates zero and takes over cipher with the intent of creating a world he thinks the boss wanted, uniting it under a common enemy (which is what she became to the united states), which is also english (?)

to counter this, zero goes to extreme lengths to fight skull face and comes up with a plan to keep big boss safe by using a lookalike. by the time big boss wakes up in the 80s, it's been a long time and he actually flatlined after the helicopter crash, so he changes his tune and comes around on the 'ends justify the means' bit and goes along with zero's plan. big boss's plan is basically zero's plan from this point onward, believing he can save the world if he can control it. venom snake just wants a place free of nations. big boss twists it around a bit, which leads to outer heaven being a potential superpower and a threat to the world.

big boss sends in solid snake because this guy is a dumb rookie and will get captured in a way that benefits outer heaven. instead, solid snake really starts to fuck shit up. i'm not sure where kaz miller fits in during metal gear, but it seems this is when he turns against big boss? ocelot is nowhere to be found. solid snake kills venom snake, and big boss sets up camp in zanzibarland where big boss tries again but with feeling. big boss dies here a second time.

and then mgs happens and liquid snake wants to rule the world because he's superior (it's also been a long time since i've played mgs), but this is all a way for ocelot to get back at the patriots or something, a plan that he uses nine years later to bring the patriots down in mgs 4. at this point the ideals of the boss, big boss, and zero have all been lost to time and people are acting of their own interests.

Having just beaten Sahalanthroposaurus Rex again I think the weirdest thing about the repeat missions is that it doesn't repackage them in chronological order as Revenge+ or something easier to swallow. Just the random nature of their listing.

Also, no replay of Snake and Miller blowing away Skull Face after completing 50. Boo.

Having just beaten Sahalanthroposaurus Rex again I think the weirdest thing about the repeat missions is that it doesn't repackage them in chronological order as Revenge+ or something easier to swallow. Just the random nature of their listing.

Also, no replay of Snake and Miller blowing away Skull Face after completing 50. Boo.
I'm pretty baffled by the positioning of missions 48-50. They just seem like filler so the game has 50 missions.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
zero on the other hand thinks the boss had some pretty good ideas, and uses the philosopher's legacy recovered during mgs 3 (it's been some time) to kickstart cipher. i believe he thinks he can keep the world safe on his own. skull face is a bad guy and really obviously a bad guy, but for some reason he's a person zero trusts a lot. skull face incapacitates zero and takes over cipher with the intent of creating a world he thinks the boss wanted, uniting it under a common enemy (which is what she became to the united states), which is also english (?)

Skull Face basically wants all the countries to hide in their own corner and not interact with each other. English is seen as becoming the world's common language, so removing english would help achieve the goal of countries isolating themselves from one another. It's especially important since Zero is trying to unite the world under english, and the english strain would completely put an end to those plans.

The Boss is loyal to her country, promotes naked snake to be loyal to his own ideals, and heavily wants peace. Skull Face is kinda the only one that came up with a way to achieve all those things for everyone by allowing people to not really be controlled and keeping their identity as both a country and as individuals, while still eventually achieving world peace. Big Boss kinda sucks at the peace part, while Zero sucks at the freedom part.

big boss sends in solid snake because this guy is a dumb rookie and will get captured in a way that benefits outer heaven. instead, solid snake really starts to fuck shit up. i'm not sure where kaz miller fits in during metal gear, but it seems this is when he turns against big boss? ocelot is nowhere to be found. solid snake kills venom snake, and big boss sets up camp in zanzibarland where big boss tries again but with feeling. big boss dies here a second time.

Miller seemed pretty anti big boss in his talk with Ocelot at the end of Phantom Pain, probably because he was played like a damn fiddle when Big Boss never let him in on the whole double thing and Big Boss had started treating his fellow men as tools instead of comrades.

Houndi101

Aww hell I don't feel good about this I guess.
I wish there was a possibility for Metal Gear Solid 5 by Kojima, then I bet I would be more positive about this.

Xiraiya

Maybe parasite infection takes a while to become symptomatic?
Since this is a gif I didn't make, I now need to go double check that Miller's eyes are intact when you rescue him, because I originally thought his eyes were like that the whole time from the start, this kind of changes the context of whatever is going on with him.

Haunted

Since this is a gif I didn't make, I now need to go double check that Miller's eyes are intact when you rescue him, because I originally thought his eyes were like that the whole time from the start, this kind of changes the context of whatever is going on with him.
His eyes are already murky in the first rescue mission, Venom even remarks upon it in dialogue when you save him.

The .gif above might be a thing with his gameplay model vs cutscene model or level of detail differences or something.

Golnei

The .gif above might be a thing with his gameplay model vs cutscene model or level of detail differences or something.

That's more believable, but with how ambiguous everything surrounding Miller's eyes is; you could really infer anything. I think I'm starting to become more partial to the theory that Ocelot was one of the men who tortured him initially; and hypnotised him to feign blindness around Venom until the end of the game - however, the hypnosis was not complete, and he still was able to see in certain situations. The irises were the result of lenses surgically grafted onto his eyes, which can become transparent under certain light conditions, such as those in direct sunlight in Afghanistan.

Angry Fork

Just beat it, I now see why people were saying the ending was unsatisfactory. That was ...dumb. I'm not really surprised after mgs2 ocelot arm and mgs4 ending but damn. This game's narrative can be be told in 20 minutes, the rest of the game is gameplay. That's cool and all but it seems like an extreme reaction to satisfy people who said previous mgs games were too story-heavy (or just a natural progression from Peace Walker I guess).

No solid snake/secret Hayter voice is a real bummer too, I miss the real Snake voice, I hate Sutherland. Just kinda feels like there was no payoff, oh well. At least the gameplay is really fun and I love the sandbox but the story/characters were way off to me. The character motivations are so vague, I feel like I don't know what anyone really wanted or why they were doing what they were doing.

Who was skullface and what exactly did he want? Was he just a fascist/hitler wannabe? What exactly does Miller want? Aren't these guys just mercenaries? If so why are we supposed to be sympathetic to Miller or Snake? Where did Huey end up. Why was fire volgin/psycho mantis in the game, why was psycho mantis going after Snake. Since when can ocelot use hypnosis/memory injection (lol) to make someone think they're another person. Ocelot was a cool villain/enemy in mgs1/3 and Kojima fucked him up by making him this quadruple spying "good guy". Why did real boss leave and to do what. Maybe some of this info are in the podcasts but why aren't they woven into the actual story/cutscenes rather than a walkman.

I shot quiet at the end of the sniper duel so she never appeared again, but I don't care about that it's just amusing after she was shown tons of times in trailers/pre-game stuff and you thought she was going to be a major character but turns out she's not needed.

Also the skulls are the worst enemies in any game ever made. They almost got me to quit this game all together. The actual stealth/infiltration missions (most of the game) are awesome and tons of fun, the skulls were the most annoying thing I've ever had to deal with in a game.

AniHawk

Skull Face basically wants all the countries to hide in their own corner and not interact with each other. English is seen as becoming the world's common language, so removing english would help achieve the goal of countries isolating themselves from one another. It's especially important since Zero is trying to unite the world under english, and the english strain would completely put an end to those plans.

The Boss is loyal to her country, promotes naked snake to be loyal to his own ideals, and heavily wants peace. Skull Face is kinda the only one that came up with a way to achieve all those things for everyone by allowing people to not really be controlled and keeping their identity as both a country and as individuals, while still eventually achieving world peace. Big Boss kinda sucks at the peace part, while Zero sucks at the freedom part.

okay that makes sense. the stuff with skull face kind of surprised me since he was the third person who seemed heavily inspired by the boss, and i couldn't make sense of how his plans related to her ideals.

Miller seemed pretty anti big boss in his talk with Ocelot at the end of Phantom Pain, probably because he was played like a damn fiddle when Big Boss never let him in on the whole double thing and Big Boss had started treating his fellow men as tools instead of comrades.

from what i understand about metal gear, miller, campbell, big boss, venom snake, gray fox, and solid snake, among others, are all on the same team, and it's during this game where miller sides with solid snake against venom snake (but really against big boss). the group is reformed under liquid snake in mgs and being played by the patriots for some reason, which at this point were artificial intelligence created by zero and acting on their own?

DeSolos

Just beat it, I now see why people were saying the ending was unsatisfactory. That was ...dumb. I'm not really surprised after mgs2 ocelot arm and mgs4 ending but damn. This game's narrative can be be told in 20 minutes, the rest of the game is gameplay. That's cool and all but it seems like an extreme reaction to satisfy people who said previous mgs games were too story-heavy (or just a natural progression from Peace Walker I guess).

No solid snake/secret Hayter voice is a real bummer too, I miss the real Snake voice, I hate Sutherland. Just kinda feels like there was no payoff, oh well. At least the gameplay is really fun and I love the sandbox but the story/characters were way off to me. The character motivations are so vague, I feel like I don't know what anyone really wanted or why they were doing what they were doing.

Who was skullface and what exactly did he want? Was he just a fascist/hitler wannabe? What exactly does Miller want? Aren't these guys just mercenaries? If so why are we supposed to be sympathetic to Miller or Snake? Where did Huey end up. Why was fire volgin/psycho mantis in the game, why was psycho mantis going after Snake. Since when can ocelot use hypnosis/memory injection (lol) to make someone think they're another person. Ocelot was a cool villain/enemy in mgs1/3 and Kojima fucked him up by making him this quadruple spying "good guy". Why did real boss leave and to do what. Maybe some of this info are in the podcasts but why aren't they woven into the actual story/cutscenes rather than a walkman.

I shot quiet at the end of the sniper duel so she never appeared again, but I don't care about that it's just amusing after she was shown tons of times in trailers/pre-game stuff and you thought she was going to be a major character but turns out she's not needed.

Also the skulls are the worst enemies in any game ever made. They almost got me to quit this game all together. The actual stealth/infiltration missions (most of the game) are awesome and tons of fun, the skulls were the most annoying thing I've ever had to deal with in a game.

All of that is explained in the tapes. This is not to say they're good explanations, but the explanations are there.

Why aren't they woven into the story? An overcorrection from MGS4 which started in Peace Walker, and a very likely cutoff of support from a certain pachinko company.

Haunted

All of that is explained in the tapes. This is not to say they're good explanations, but the explanations are there.

Why aren't they woven into the story? An overcorrection from MGS4 which started in Peace Walker, and a very likely cutoff of support from a certain pachinko company.

ayy

Xiraiya

So I was messing around in Hellbound and had a heart stopping moment where I thought i had destroyed Sahelanthropus prematurely.
But no, he's just out of action, you can however individually damage his back, his upper arm, lower arm, and upper leg, lower leg on both sides, the head doesn't seem to be able to be destroyed but it looks like you can damage his crotch cannon and also the chest.
Even when you jump in the chopper and start to fly away, Sahel wakes up and jumps over to you, he fires less missiles at you and kind of lingers for a time before trying to jump at the chopper like normal.

So I assume what damage I did doesn't actually matter, it might though, his armor and whatnot is pretty fucked up.

So I was messing around in Hellbound and had a heart stopping moment where I thought i had destroyed Sahelanthropus prematurely.

But no, he's just out of action, you can however individually damage his back, his upper arm, lower arm, and upper leg, lower leg on both sides, the head doesn't seem to be able to be destroyed but it looks like you can damage his crotch cannon and also the chest.
Even when you jump in the chopper and start to fly away, Sahel wakes up and jumps over to you, he fires less missiles at you and kind of lingers for a time before trying to jump at the chopper like normal.

So I assume what damage I did doesn't actually matter, it might though, his armor and whatnot is pretty fucked up.

What's Hellbound?

Johndoey

Banned
They're just stretches. Not every woman doing yoga in public is trying to come on to you.

That ain't stretching, thats presenting.

It's not like she could've used any of the other languages everyone on my base speaks. I've got live interpreters for like 5 different languages on standby during every single mission.

Don't think about logic or plot holes in the Quiet storyline, it's so flimsy that they could literally handwave anything and everything. Maybe she dies, maybe she's just a carrier and immune herself due to the parasite treatment blablabla whatever. The whole thing is worthless to speculate on in that much detail due to the malleability of it all.

If you assume Quiet was supposed to be a moron the issues fade away.

Real talk though, best villains in the series are the Colonel and Rose Patriot AIs in MGS2, those sons of bitches left my ass shook. Never forget playing that game at 3 AM and they start telling me to turn off the console cause im too tired, had me feeling some type of way, almost really did turn it off.

Wish we could've talked to some AIs in MGS4, then again Kojima probably would've found a way to make them sound stupid. Would've had them talking nonsense like Big Boss' "zero becomes one becomes zero" speech.

Neiteio

Amendment: if a lady ever acts like that in front of you, stick a tenner in her g-string and order the "champagne". She's working.
Amendment to the amendment: If a lady ever acts like that in front of you, set her on fire and knock her out the window, she is clearly an assassin but will fall in love with you after she receives rain boob parasites.

Amendment to the amendment: If a lady ever acts like that in front of you, set her on fire and knock her out the window, she is clearly an assassin but will fall in love with you after she receives rain boob parasites.

if i set her on fire and throw her out a window then she'll just fall in love with my body double, I don't want that.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Amendment to the amendment of the amendment: if a bouncer sees you do that, you may not be welcome in that club again.

Johndoey

Banned
Amendment: if a lady ever acts like that in front of you, stick a tenner in her g-string and order the "champagne". She's working.

Well... shit you ain't wrong. But if you got that blood diamond cash flow just get bottle service.

Amendment to the amendment of the amendment: if a bouncer sees you do that, you may not be welcome in that club again.

Would it be considered touching the employees? Technically you never lay hands.

Guys if I were to play the game again and I want to avoid Quiet bailing on me (at least before I want to) all I have to do is skip Mission 45, right? Or do I have to skip anything else besides 45? I beat the game a while ago and I already cannot remember clearly how that went down.

Plasma

Banned
Guys if I were to play the game again and I want to avoid Quiet bailing on me (at least before I want to) all I have to do is skip Mission 45, right? Or do I have to skip anything else besides 45? I beat the game a while ago and I already cannot remember clearly how that went down.

No Quiet will still leave, the only way to put it off is by putting the butterfly in your emblem before Mission 43.

heringer

How do I get this emblem? Or do you always get it?

And what do you mean exactly by "put it off"?

Using the emblem locks the side quest that triggers her leaving, but you can still do mission 46 (just not 45).

If you want to see her ending though, you have to remove the emblem.

You get the emblem by using her a lot, I think.

Blader

the group is reformed under liquid snake in mgs and being played by the patriots for some reason, which at this point were artificial intelligence created by zero and acting on their own?

They're not really played by the Patriots in the original MGS, MGS2 highlights the Shadow Moses events as something happening outside of the Patriots' knowledge or consent. If they were played by anyone, it was Solidus, who was hoping that Liquid's threat to the world would end up revealing the Patriots' existence.

The Patriots AIs were Zero's idea but technically created by Donald Anderson (Sigint) and Strangelove. By MGS4 their programming has mutated and have strayed from what Zero intended.

Does the water pistol work on the Man on Fire? I'm getting conflicting info.

I'm about to face him in Chapter 20. Anything I should know going in?

Hypron

Does the water pistol work on the Man on Fire? I'm getting conflicting info.

I'm about to face him in Chapter 20. Anything I should know going in?

It works according to the guide but you need to shoot him tons of time. And it only stuns him. So it's not very good.

Ashura_MX

Chapter 2 is baaaad out of the gate lol.
-Finish Ch 1
-Get a bunch of cutscenes dumped on me the first few times back on MB
-Listen to all tapes
-Do sideops, fob and Subsist. c2W + extreme backup.
-Fuck around some more.
-No new tapes (this is somewhat important)
-Do the story mission.
-Finish said mission, get battle gear cutscene + bunch of tapes + Kaz sending me for the AI pod because he wants to get rid of Huey.

What the fuck? Did I completely miss the part where Huey did anything suspicious? (Besides the shady shit in GZ)

OBias

What the fuck? Did I completely miss the part where Huey did anything suspicious? (Besides the shady shit in GZ)
Watch the Chapter 2 intro again. Miller had become even more paranoid so he is looking for evidence against any possible traitors on the Mother Base, and that obviously includes Huey.

Top Bottom