• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Johndoey

Banned
Chapter 2 is baaaad out of the gate lol.
-Finish Ch 1
-Get a bunch of cutscenes dumped on me the first few times back on MB
-Listen to all tapes
-Do sideops, fob and Subsist. c2W + extreme backup.
-Fuck around some more.
-No new tapes (this is somewhat important)
-Do the story mission.
-Finish said mission, get battle gear cutscene + bunch of tapes + Kaz sending me for the AI pod because he wants to get rid of Huey.

What the fuck? Did I completely miss the part where Huey did anything suspicious? (Besides the shady shit in GZ)
You may be thinking you missed some set up that was in PW, but nah you didn't dudes just evil now.

Ashura_MX

You may be thinking you missed some set up that was in PW, but nah you didn't dudes just evil now.
Well everybody is shades of evil in motherbase really, but to the point, there is no setup that should trigger kaz from:
-Oh cool we have battle gear
To
-Lets get rid of this mofo

It makes no sense (in my playthrough/universe), so either I missed the dialogue or "Welcome to Ch2" :/

FranXico

Well everybody is shades of evil in motherbase really, but to the point, there is no setup that should trigger kaz from:
To

It makes no sense (in my playthrough/universe), so either I missed the dialogue or "Welcome to Ch2" :/

He hates the guy's guts, is it that hard to believe that he's just using him?

Erigu

That's more believable, but with how ambiguous everything surrounding Miller's eyes is; you could really infer anything.
Doesn't seem all that ambiguous to me: he was blind but didn't tell a soul until that one speech.

I'm now very curious about what is up with him, eyes on Kazuhira.
Again, the Japanese version doesn't talk about "eyes", there. Code Talker's line really just means "keep your eyes on Kazuhira", as in "don't let your guard down when it comes to him".

Ashura_MX

He hates the guy's guts, is it that hard to believe that he's just using him?
Kaz hates everything, I can suspension disbelief a lot of shit, but it makes no sense the sudden change in opinion, no tape, no cutscene, no hints. Unless the explanation wa in the mission or in the tapes that I got after the mission.

I'm arguing the pace seems broken that is all, not that Huey is GoodGuyEngineer.

Johndoey

Banned
To

Kaz mentioned in an earlier tape he was searching for a smoking gun to get rid of Huey.
Because he thinks Huey intentionally sold Mama Base one out, nothing actually supports that assertion but Kaz is going insane so...

Kaz hates everything, I can suspension disbelief a lot of shit, but it makes no sense the sudden change in opinion, no tape, no cutscene, no hints. Unless the explanation wa in the mission or in the tapes that I got after the mission.

I'm arguing the pace seems broken that is all, not that Huey is GoodGuyEngineer.

When you're initially sent to find Huey it's to get Revenge for selling out Mother Base. It's only when you realize he's been working for Skullface, that Kaz and Co. decide he may be of use to keep around, so you lock him up in the hanger to work for you. Once Skullface is dead his usefulness has run out, so it goes back to "let's fuck up Huey."

Ashura_MX

When you're initially sent to find Huey it's to get Revenge for selling out Mother Base. It's only when you realize he's been working for Skullface, that Kaz and Co. decide he may be of use to keep around, so you lock him up in the hanger to work for you. Once Skullface is dead his usefulness has run out, so it goes back to "let's fuck up Huey."
This, I can work with too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
from what i understand about metal gear, miller, campbell, big boss, venom snake, gray fox, and solid snake, among others, are all on the same team, and it's during this game where miller sides with solid snake against venom snake (but really against big boss). the group is reformed under liquid snake in mgs and being played by the patriots for some reason, which at this point were artificial intelligence created by zero and acting on their own?

Miller is still on Venom's side, and Venom's still on Big Boss's side, so that puts Miller on Big Boss's side by association. I guess when Venom dies he has no reason to stay with Big Boss. Miller never stood up against Venom Snake, though I guess he did stand with Venom's killer at a later point, for reasons not really explained.

Golnei

Are they trying to prove some sort of point by restricting the real Ocelot to MGO? I get the subtext behind the Peace ending being the result of nearly-impossible collaboration between players, but this just seems like pointless cruelty.

Doesn't seem all that ambiguous to me: he was blind but didn't tell a soul until that one speech.

His actions are far too inconsistent for him to be completely blind; I'd initially assumed inflammation, cataracts, a partially detached retina; or some other form of partial visual impairment. The way in which it's so heavily focused on, but never followed up on; combined with his similarity to Code Talker's eyes, and the inconsistencies with the ingame model; invite speculation, if nothing else.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Are they trying to prove some sort of point by restricting the real Ocelot to MGO? I get the subtext behind the Peace ending being the result of nearly-impossible collaboration between players, but this just seems like pointless cruelty.

What do you mean...?

Miller is still on Venom's side, and Venom's still on Big Boss's side, so that puts Miller on Big Boss's side by association. I guess when Venom dies he has no reason to stay with Big Boss. Miller never stood up against Venom Snake, though I guess he did stand with Venom's killer at a later point, for reasons not really explained.

It's explained in the post credits.

Symphonia

Banned
This game solidifies that Solid is still the baddest ass Snake in the series.
Not by a long shot. Solid was badass, sure, and he definitely had the better voice actor. But, c'mon, look at the shit Big Boss went through. He was betrayed by his mentor, had his eye shot out, found out he killed his mentor for nothing after it is revealed she never betrayed him or her country, not to mention all the shit that happened in Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. Big Boss is the ultimate Snake.

To

Kaz wanted to kill him ever since GZ from what I see. He waited to get enough proof to finally dispose of him.

I would've kicked him off the base myself. Screw Huey.

Houndi101

I actually thought they gave real Boss another voice actor the Zero tape but I guess it was just some hospital worker

Seriously they laid the table for such a great Hayter return with the Mission 46 cutscene...

Not by a long shot. Solid was badass, sure, and he definitely had the better voice actor. But, c'mon, look at the shit Big Boss went through. He was betrayed by his mentor, had his eye shot out, found out he killed his mentor for nothing after it is revealed she never betrayed him or her country, not to mention all the shit that happened in Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. Big Boss is the ultimate Snake.
You just described why BB is a chump

Cries about muh Boss

Had his eye shot out cause he sucks at stealth

Played like a fiddle and then cries about it the rest of his life

Always goes into comas every other mission

Fails to rescue a child and a woman, then his base is blown up

His better looking body double shows him how to handle shit.

His actions are far too inconsistent for him to be completely blind; I'd initially assumed inflammation, cataracts, a partially detached retina; or some other form of partial visual impairment. The way in which it's so heavily focused on, but never followed up on; combined with his similarity to Code Talker's eyes, and the inconsistencies with the ingame model; invite speculation, if nothing else.

Yeah, Miller is visually identifying people and things through your video feed throughout the entire game. It makes absolutely no sense that he's blind.

Cries about muh Boss

Solid is Dat Snake
Yeah, Miller is visually identifying people and things through your video feed throughout the entire game. It makes absolutely no sense that he's blind.

Agreed, there's nothing blind about miller.. I mean he CQC'D a kid.. Think about we have never seen Kaz eyes before the whole "it's bright" during the rescue mission I took as a inside joke since he's always with his shades on.

Symphonia

Banned

Cries about muh Boss

Your 'better looking body double' is played like a damn fiddle throughout the entire game, and falls in love with a mute assassin who tried to kill him. He also chose to exile Huey and shot a load of his own damn men.

Johndoey

Banned

You just described why Solid Snake is way better man. You realize the mentor thing also happened to Solid right? Except he didn't mope about it like a lost puppy. He lived his life more or less how he wanted without any misguided attempts to fulfill anybodies wishes. Unlike all the other Snakes he didn't deify anyone and (mostly) avoided getting entrapped in a web proxy wars. He solves problems then leaves. Dude is unambiguously the cool hero guy of the series. I won't even start Solid Snakes catalog accomplishments over the course of the series, but he is flat out the better soldier and person.
#BestSnake

Venom and Quiet? Not sexual, you say?

mgsv-quietgroundhvsik.png

mgsv-quietcigarovohg.jpg
I stand corrected :)

Golnei

So .... what was the point in the Battle Gear?

It was initially going to be a buddy, but got cut. The stated reason is that it was unbalanced; but considering how broken some of the rank-restricting equipment is, it's far more likely to have been the victim of deadlines.

Your 'better looking body double' is played like a damn fiddle throughout the entire game, and falls in love with a mute assassin who tried to kill him. He also chose to exile Huey and shot a load of his own damn men.
Everyone in MGS gets played like a fiddle, existing in that world is to be fiddled, difference is BB can't get over it.

Said assassin ends up constantly trying to smash and exiles herself just to save Handsome Snake. Unlike BB who gets played by Eva.

Big "Nostradamus" Medic knew Huey would die an even worse death than he could think up, he was right as Huey got cucked to death by his son.

Dr.Snakes saved the damn world while his men saluted him for doing what he had to do.

The tape from mission 46 has the same audio from the classified intel tape from GZ,wtf.
Is this some non-canon easter egg or what? Are you telling me that zero planned the doppelganger thing during ground zeroes,it doesn't add up.
https://youtu.be/psK_qKR9kHo?t=7m56s
https://youtu.be/LDZ-OdxcB80?t=7m33s

Edit: i meant the operation ntrude N313,not the doppelganger plan.

Asset re use probably since it doesn't show up anywhere else.

Has anyone hacked that scene to be explorable like that one video in the hopsital?

Special C

A 10 min tape? Really? I struggle to get through any of them that are more than 2 min. I hope the skullface and code talker conversations aren't important. These are 100x worse than the Destiny Grimore debacle. Are there transcripts of the tapes anywhere online?

Kinyou

Looking back at the launch trailer, it's kind of interesting that Venom is morphing into skullface. It seems like was just intentional misdirection by Kojima, but at the same time is Venom kind of robbed of his true identity and face, just like Skullface. Venom not accepting his new role would have been an interesting direction for the story to go.

On a different note, watching the launch trailer gets me a bit frustrated again, while I love the game, it wasn't the kind of conclusion of everything Metal Gear that this trailer sort of promised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JV0EvCkMI

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's more implied than shown directly, but still Huey had the most interesting character arc in the game. With him being the one who set up the nuclear inspection in GZ and being all cagey about Strangelove.

They said this game will show Big Boss's turn, but i think they ended up doing a far better job showing Huey's heel turn and in-turn make Ocelot a much better character looking back at it.

BigBoss

A 10 min tape? Really? I struggle to get through any of them that are more than 2 min. I hope the skullface and code talker conversations aren't important. These are 100x worse than the Destiny Grimore debacle. Are there transcripts of the tapes anywhere online?

You should really listen to the code talker/skull face tapes, they're some of the best story/character moments in the game.

Xiraiya

Looking back at the launch trailer, it's kind of interesting that Venom is morphing into skullface. It seems like was just intentional misdirection by Kojima, but at the same time is Venom kind of robbed of his true identity and face, just like Skullface. Venom not accepting his new role would have been an interesting direction for the story to go.

On a different note, watching the launch trailer gets me a bit frustrated again, while I love the game, it wasn't the kind of conclusion of everything Metal Gear that this trailer sort of promised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JV0EvCkMI
There are a lot of things in the launch trailer that annoy me because it doesn't seem like misdirection, just cut promises, Kojima made it right before the game came out and has stuff like "From Zero to Omega" (Camp Omega would have already been long cut) Venom becoming skullface which was cool but not really true as Miller is the one who is obsessed, not Venom.

And of course there is the face of Venom with all his skin torn off that isn't anywhere in the game (But since we also saw the MGS3 DLC in that trailer maybe it'll come later)
The thing I thought was curious about the Venom exposed skull thing is it reminded me of what was left of Big Boss after Solid Snake defeated him.

Johndoey

Banned
It's more implied than shown directly, but still Huey had the most interesting character arc in the game. With him being the one who set up the nuclear inspection in GZ and being all cagey about Strangelove.

They said this game will show Big Boss's turn, but i think they ended up doing a far better job showing Huey's heel turn and in-turn make Ocelot a much better character looking back at it.

I disagree, he starts as a sniveling conniving coward and ends the exact same, all the changes to his character happened off-screen.

SJRB

Gold Member
So .... what was the point in the Battle Gear?

It is literally pointless. You were supposed to be able to deploy it in the field, but they removed it because it was extremely unbalanced.

So they kept the cutscenes and stuff in, and after that it's basically "get fucked". Yes, there are a couple of Combat Deployment missions, but the Battle Gear only adds like 2% success rate. It's potato-tier.

...wich is totally understandable of course. I mean, it was built by Huey in between crazy interrogation, why the fuck would he go out of his way to build an S-tier machine? Why do Miller and co even trust Huey to build a reliable machine in the first place, even after all that he's done?

"Hey dude, I know we're detaining you and relentlessly interrogating you every day, but no hard feelings right? Could you build some crazy mecha for us? But no fucking around, allright? Thanks bro. See you this afternoon for another interrogation? Cool bro, see you then"

Just so I know I'm not going crazy - there was no cutscene with any "Ralph," was there?

I went back to MB constantly and never saw anything. Only Miller and Ocelot saying he died.

I have no idea which kid he was even supposed to be.

Neiteio

Just so I know I'm not going crazy - there was no cutscene with any "Ralph," was there?

I went back to MB constantly and never saw anything. Only Miller and Ocelot saying he died.

I have no idea which kid he was even supposed to be.
He's one of the child soldiers. They talk about him in radio calls and tapes. His name is another reference to Lord of the Flies.

Angel_DvA

Do you remember when Kojima was worried that gamers wouldn't complete the entire MGSV Campaign? Question is, has anyone truly completed it yet? are we sure we have seen everything from it ? How much content has been cut for DLCs or just remove because Konami want the game out for this season ?

Top Bottom