• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Ludens

Banned
Heh, apparently Kojima tweeted about a number of different "Chapter 3s" over the weekend, and r/neverbegameover is freaking out.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/653203242478768128
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/653202598929920000
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/653234252603985920

People still believe this?
Just stop reading between lines when Kojima posts something, because he does this on purpose, but really there's nothing behind it.

Johndoey

Banned
Why do writers think tying everything together makes for a better overarching plot? Liquid didn't need to have history with Ocelot, Miller, and Mantis. Huey didn't even need to exist. Introducing magic parasites, super plastic surgery and cure all hypnotherapy to cover up flaws in the material is annoying.

tariniel

Re: people asking what chapter 3 could be.

It could be a cool idea if it was events that took place during the time skip at mission 46. Instead of the full time skip, you get a few missions dealing with Outer Heaven, a scene where BB and Venom perhaps come face to face when they switch spots. Maybe some where an unknown soldier is infiltrating your base and fucking stuff up, which ends up being Solid, and Venom tries to sabotage his mission, and the last scene Venom walking towards his fight with Solid, where Venom's 'peace' is death, a release from being the phantom.

I'm sure Kojima could have executed it well, but I'm not sure if it would be better than what we already have in 46.

Erigu

People still believe this?
Just stop reading between lines when Kojima posts something, because he does this on purpose, but really there's nothing behind it.
He's not even doing anything. Those idiots are just conveniently ignoring a bunch of other tweets that contain different numbers.

Johndoey

Banned
Re: people asking what chapter 3 could be.

It could be a cool idea if it was events that took place during the time skip at mission 46. Instead of the full time skip, you get a few missions dealing with Outer Heaven, a scene where BB and Venom perhaps come face to face when they switch spots. Maybe some where an unknown soldier is infiltrating your base and fucking stuff up, which ends up being Solid, and Venom tries to sabotage his mission, and the last scene Venom walking towards his fight with Solid, where Venom's 'peace' is death, a release from being the phantom.

I'm sure Kojima could have executed it well, but I'm not sure if it would be better than what we already have in 46.

An entire new Outer Heaven location would've needed to be included in the game and Outer Heaven is massive. The best you could ask for would be a cutscene showing Solid Snake receiving his mission and possibly him killing Venom.

brau

But you are Big Boss, bro.

You are Big Boss. And I am Big Boss. And Big Boss is Big Boss. Together we are Big Boss.

Everyone being BB means no one is BB. BB is not special anymore. The legend is dead.

:(

26400-Abandon-thread-felix-red-bull-LsIl_zpssau3pqzh.gif

brau

Do i have to complete the mission to get the optional objectives?

Yes. If you leave, is like aborting the mission and the side objectives. Whats cool is that you can complete the objectives and not S Rank, and then go S rank without doing any of the side objectives and you will still accomplish all of it in the menu.

MechaX

Holy fuck, I am just now getting to the torture scene with Quiet when they learn that she's infected with the parasites (why this is just now coming across to Miller, when he himself said that Quiet was like the SKULLS PARASITE SQUAD, is beyond me).

I like how Ocelot runs a troll by facilitating the torture while she was blinded, and then tried to play the Good Cop to Miller's Bad Cop 30 seconds later, but Jesus, just give the goddamn woman a note pad to write it down with.

Xiraiya

47 hours in and I just found the menu where you can customize your weapons
Might it be you somehow discovered this particular gun menu after extracting the master gunsmith?
Hmm I wonder.

i really need to change my avatar quote to "MGSV hater."
I kind of wonder why you're here if you're completely unable to enjoy or properly discuss any aspect of it whatsoever.

I like how Ocelot runs a troll by facilitating the torture while she was blinded, and then tried to play the Good Cop to Miller's Bad Cop 30 seconds later, but Jesus, just give the goddamn woman a note pad to write it down with.
I didn't think of that, but I did find it odd he was all for it and then against it, I figured maybe he ended up thinking Venom wouldn't approve so he decided to be the good cop, it's very interesting.

Warewolf

Can you elaborate on why you think Miller knows about Venom beforehand?

We have two conversations where Miller touches on the BB situation: One where Zero tells Miller that BB is safe, and Miller seems to think BB is, in fact, BB; and the post-credits conversation between Ocelot and Miller, where Miller is outraged at BB's betrayal.

I interpreted the latter to take place shortly after M45 of the main campaign. Miller learns the truth from Ocelot around the same time Venom receives the tape. Someone saw fit to bring everyone up to date. I don't see reason to think otherwise, but I'm open to a second interpretation. I think there are interesting implications for either case.

It's definitely interesting either way, I took the Zero/Miller tape as occurring during the planning phase, after Zero has begun the preparation to create Venom and brought Ocelot in on "the ruse".
Zero has had the Cyprus clinic staff anesthetize Miller so he can move Big Boss, once Miller wakes up and realizes Big Boss is gone he ghosts out of there and starts stirring up shit looking for him. to make sure Miller doesn't get out of control Zero calls him up to set him straight. This puts him on Ocelot's trail and once they're in contact we have the conversation that's in The Man Who Sold The World.

taking that as the order of things means even little things like S Rank mission complete dialogue from Miller suddenly becomes loaded.

"Amazing, mission complete. That right there is why you're the best, Boss. The one and only."

Also makes the anger at things like the acquisition of quiet, (Miller doesn't want external forces leading Venom from the path of revenge he's guiding him on) way more meaningful.

That's how I'm seeing it.

brau

I kind of wonder why you're here if you're completely unable to enjoy or properly discuss any aspect of it whatsoever.

hmm.. i have plenty of good discussions in this thread. just like to kid around with the people that know me around here.

I guess gaf is only for the serious tho.

Warewolf

It's 2015 there isn't shit in the game file snoopers haven't saw.

But once nuclear proliferation is over, the third chapter will be triggered! Then it will be downloaded through an update! Never be game over!

I'd say /sarcasm but deep down I want it to be true.

brau

But once nuclear proliferation is over, the third chapter will be triggered! Then it will be downloaded through an update! Never be game over!

I'd say /sarcasm but deep down I want it to b true.

So only when the servers recognize that nuclear tension is over would peace really begin? that sounds reasonable and quite possible.

But that would just be a tag that triggers a cutscene and thats it? no more after? i do wonder how that would develop. Its an interesting premise. The whole nuke tied to the FOB.

MechaX

"Huh, these past few scenes with Quiet were pretty endearing. Maybe there is something more to her character than eye cand-"

*Watches as Quiet smiles and then presents her butt to Venom like a mandrill while Venom thumbs through the iDroid on the ACC*

"Nevermind."

So close, yet so far, Kojima. I honestly think The Boss was just an accident at this point.

I didn't think of that, but I did find it odd he was all for it and then against it, I figured maybe he ended up thinking Venom wouldn't approve so he decided to be the good cop, it's very interesting.

As I listen to more of these tapes, the more I think Ocelot is not some master schemer, but is just an absolute asshole that makes things up as it goes.

Xiraiya

The more I play, the more curious I am about the Diamond Dog Containers at OKBZero, they are not there on accident, I've talked about this before but wandering around in-game and seeing these non DD version of the containers in a bunch of places made me think about it again. The model for those containers come in multiple shapes and sizes all without the DD logo (Which you can see via NVG it's actually a flat "sign" model attached to the container and not textured on like the yellow warning label, so they have to actually put it on the container and then duplicate it to be like that.

The oil field in Africa has a great example of all the shapes and sizes they come in that seem to be that they're broken up into multiple layers, so the argument of accidental re-used assets kind of falls away as there are many more versions and instances of these containers without the DD logo than with, the logic of that slipping through the cracks so blatantly in a single key area is kind of absurd.

On top of the fact Skullface's chopper has a Diamond Dogs pilot, which I actually want to go back and check in Hellbound as that same chopper picks him up there and see if the pilot is the same or if it has a regular XOF Pilot.

Golnei

So close, yet so far, Kojima. I honestly think The Boss was just an accident at this point.

I'm not sure if she was ever going to be written that differently, but the first draft did have her bare a single breast the entire game, with a snake-shaped scar directly on it that looked as if it slithered while it jiggled.

Only thing I'd add is instead of outright cutting current armored vehicle/prisoner rescue side ops I'd make them like dispatch missions, where you can do a random assortment (maybe just found on free roam), and they don't factor into completion progress at all.

It'd definitely be a mistake to remove them entirely, but I agree they shouldn't be necessary for completion, or treated like normal missions. Ideally, if they had the time to develop actual side ops; those would take the place of the current ones, while the almost randomly generated rescue/blueprint/armoured vehicle/heavy infantry/mine clearing ones would be relegated to a separate listing of 'extra objectives' or 'side contracts' - having them only being visible in free roam is downplaying them too much, maybe they could still have a menu displaying those currently active on each map, but not be numbered.

But with the content they were actually able to develop, the current system was probably necessary...

Huey didn't even need to exist.

The series would be nothing without his role in MGS2.

Xiraiya

Yeah she was originally going to be themed more strongly after the whole "Mother" thing by having one breast exposed as part of her outfit.
Sounds cool in theory as it makes her sound more eccentric, but it would probably have been uncomfortable in reality.

brau

My apologies - apparently, it was supposed to laugh, not slither.
It'd definitely have fallen flat in practice. Look at how awkward it is just watching Kojima explain it.

A good example on how Kojimas ideas needed to be discussed and rationalized instead of just going with it. There are moments and places where the weird stuff can be present. Too bad Quiets design suffered from the lack of attention from another writer to keep things coherent.

I think even Shinkawa said his original sketches had more clothes while Kojima requested the change. Because you know.. he wanted everyone to be "ashamed of your words and deeds". I guess in that respect he really did succeed. I felt majorly uncomfortable every time i had to go to the ACC with her as my buddy.

Xiraiya

I had an idea I want to try, if you have the Kikongo interpreter when you meet Eli, Venom tries to communicate with Eli through Kikongo instead of English
When motherbase is infected by the Kikongo strain of Parasites, I wonder if you can actually create a weird situation that causes Venom to infect himself by speaking Kikongo.

I doubt it would work because of how it would be a continuity error if you could do that, but I'm curious to try.

I had an idea I want to try, if you have the Kikongo interpreter when you meet Eli, Venom tries to communicate with Eli through Kikongo instead of English
When motherbase is infected by the Kikongo strain of Parasites, I wonder if you can actually create a weird situation that causes Venom to infect himself by speaking Kikongo.

I doubt it would work because of how it would be a continuity error if you could do that, but I'm curious to try.

Oh really? Does he not do this if you don't have a Kikongo interpreter?

brau

Kojima does say in the Official Guide that if it makes sense then it probably works in the game.

So who knows. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Xiraiya

Oh really? Does he not do this if you don't have a Kikongo interpreter?

I don't believe so, I know I've seen people surprised at him speaking Kikongo instead of English, I haven't done that mission without having an interpreter already so I think he just uses English if you don't have the translator, it might also be Afrikaans too, I'm not sure, it could be either or even both depending on who you have/don't have.

Haunted

I don't believe so, I know I've seen people surprised at him speaking Kikongo instead of English, I haven't done that mission without having an interpreter already so I think he just uses English if you don't have the translator, it might also be Afrikaans too, I'm not sure, it could be either or even both depending on who you have/don't have.
Is there a video or a source for this?

Xiraiya

Is there a video or a source for this?

Well it's all over youtube This was the first result and he's talking English here, I would imagine most regular players get that version because people tend to get weird/fussy about side stuff at times.
It was definitely either Afrikaans or Kikongo in my game, I remember being impressed that his pronunciations sounded good (not that I would know)

Top Bottom