• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Golnei

Though it occurs to me that I now wonder if that means we have Eva and Boss head options in the pipeline since all the outfits go together and they modeled "Young" Big Boss's face atleast.

I don't think that's overwhelmingly likely - they can more or less be replicated through avatar creation, unlike the burnt Big Boss head. Would it really make sense to sell their heads/hairstyles separately to their outfits, while revealing the former weeks later?

Xiraiya

I don't think that's overwhelmingly likely - they can more or less be replicated through avatar creation, unlike the burnt Big Boss head. Would it really make sense to sell their heads/hairstyles separately to their outfits, while revealing the former weeks later?
Well I think "replicated" is a REALLY strong word for what you can do in character creation and also justifying why we would never get such head options. My logic was the fact the launch trailer revealed a Naked Snake head option to go with the MGS3 outfits which doesn't seem to have been announced/released with said outfits, so it was just a thought that since they did this for Snake/Avatar, and made EVA/BOSS outfits, they very well could have their own head options too.
qG121T.png
Him being young in the MGSV style looks a tad weird but cool, at least the MGS3 bandanna looks like an MGS Bandanna and not blue playdoh wrapped around your head.

Now this... She would probably try to murder Solid Snake.
She left that for her little sister/daughter.

Golnei

Well I think "replicated" is a REALLY strong word for what you can do in character creation and also justifying why we would never get such head options. My logic was the fact the launch trailer revealed a Naked Snake head option to go with the MGS3 outfits which doesn't seem to have been revealed with said outfits, so it was just a thought that since they did this for Snake/Avatar, and made EVA/BOSS outfits, they very well could have their own head options too.

Him being young in the MGSV style looks a tad weird but cool.

She left that for her little sister/daughter.

The details aren't exactly there, but selling a separate EVA/Boss mask to bridge that gap does still seem a little off for some reason - I wouldn't complain if they went to the effort, but I wouldn't be surprised if the outfits are all we get, either. Also, I wonder if the younger BB head was just a side-effect of having already modeled/textured a younger version of his face for Ishmael/the Medic - fusing that with the beard would be an easy way to make that part of the trailer more impactful, even if they had no intention of selling it as DLC in the actual game.

And I'd rather not imagine Quiet having a little sister. That's probably the one unfortunate fetish you could add to her to make her portrayal worse - maybe that's how they'll manage to up the 'erotic espionage action' for the Big Boss pachislot machine. Onii-chan is watching you~

Xiraiya

The details aren't exactly there, but selling a separate EVA/Boss mask to bridge that gap does still seem a little off for some reason - I wouldn't complain if they went to the effort, but I wouldn't be surprised if the outfits are all we get, either. Also, I wonder if the younger BB head was just a side-effect of having already modeled/textured a younger version of his face for Ishmael/the Medic - fusing that with the beard would be an easy way to make that part of the trailer more impactful, even if they had no intention of selling it as DLC in the actual game.
I wouldn't be surprised if the NS Head was all there was either, it was just a thought since they modeled EVA/BOSS's bodies.

The head looks pretty complete and unique to me, his nose is slightly narrower/face seems a tad thinner, the horn is missing, the bandanna is shaped to his head better/differently than the one we have right now, it just doesn't seem like a thing they cobbled together, especially since they did go to the effort of making those outfits to begin with.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing like a full on head pack later with a whole bunch released at once, which seems dumb but... that's what Konami is into now.

Xiraiya

So I decided to reconfigure my avatar (Black Jackal) to be a bit more story appropriate as he is apparently 52 Years old.

2nP1Xn.jpg

Character creator goodness

0Ngklj.jpg

"Reality is no match for the legend I'm afraid"
It's insane how different the ingame model is, it would be great if there were a way to mod the game to use the CC model, it would look like a proper character in cutscenes.

Golnei

It's insane how different the ingame model is, it would be great if there were a way to mod the game to use the CC model, it would look like a proper character in cutscenes.

That applies to most of the randomly generated soldiers as well - the ingame model is awful compared to the profile; most of them look like completely different faces. I'm surprised nobody seems to be trying to work out some way of using the higher fidelity assets during gameplay, because it's a massive difference - even disregarding the avatar, it'd be so much better just to have DD soldiers that actually looked like their profiles.

Though it's also interesting how just swapping those models into cutscenes seems to give you a similar effect - take Flaming Buffalo, for example. It might just be the lighting, but the model does seem to be higher quality than the gameplay one.

CISphil

Neo Member
So I've been reading through the various Metal Gear stuff being posted since finishing it. I noticed that nobody seems to have brought up the fact that resources you go out and collect (vehicles, plants weapon emplacements etc) now keep getting converted into "online resources". I have 2507 tarragon but I can only sell my 1000 "offline" tarragon because reasons. What a load of crap.
I can't grind out the late game stuff if I can only sell my 3 remaining offline tanks, or use my offline gmp when I can't connect to their crappy servers.

I have 2507 tarragon but I can only sell my 1000 "offline" tarragon because reasons. What a load of crap.
I can't grind out the late game stuff if I can only sell my 3 remaining offline tanks, or use my offline gmp when I can't connect to their crappy servers.

I think we covered this a few pages back, but from what I remember you can still sell everything, but after you sell the allotted "offline" resources, you have to wait X minutes for the online resources to get moved "offline."

Its stupid and just wastes more time, but you still have your resources (unless you play exclusively offline, then you can only use your offline resources, which is also stupid)

Is there a Chapter 3? Reading some of the first posts suggests it has

There's a title card in the game files for Chapter 3. There's also that Nuclear Disarmament Cutscene that is apparently going to be triggered at some point. (It's not cut content because a shot from it is in the Chapter 2 trailer)

If that chapter 3 title card is used at all, the likely scenario is:

The Nuclear Disarmament Cutscene gets unlocked, at the end it says "Chapter 3: Peace" as a thematic way of saying now the story is over and the world is (temporarily) at peace. But no new content.

Some speculate that once that Nuclear cutscene plays, a update or piece of DLC for the game will be released and that will be Chapter 3 with more story and missions. As cool as that would be, I wouldn't get your hopes up for it.

CISphil

Neo Member
I think we covered this a few pages back, but from what I remember you can still sell everything, but after you sell the allotted "offline" resources, you have to wait X minutes for the online resources to get moved "offline."

Its stupid and just wastes more time, but you still have your resources (unless you play exclusively offline, then you can only use your offline resources, which is also stupid)

Ah I see. Thanks. I'm still actually about 5-6 pages back really so I've probably just missed the conversation (my bad). It's so damn annoying but I'm glad to hear it can come back. Also just discovered the GMP cap is 5737830. Likely most know this by now but I thought it was just odd.

Alfrays

Neo Member
In retrospec, he should've killed the kids dead. Much less grief later on.

if they ever add mission 51, i hope that Venom gives the order to burn the island with all the kids in it. It make sense because they would become bad people in future, so killing them would make the world a better place, and Venom would be a demon for real this time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
welp, I finally beat it. The saga is done. Didn't get spoiled.

Thank fuck it's over. I'm so fucking exhausted by this shit.

brau

welp, I finally beat it. The saga is done. Didn't get spoiled.

Thank fuck it's over. I'm so fucking exhausted by this shit.

Did you really play 500hrs of dmc2 and consider it good?

So... exhausted by this shit means you liked the game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did you really play 500hrs of dmc2 and consider it good?

So... exhausted by this shit means you liked the game?
I'm just exhausted by the entire Metal Gear saga. Been taking the story seriously (religiously) since release date of MGS1. MGS4 was literally one of my life's biggest emotional roller-coasters ever. And here we are at the grand finale - and all I feel is "fuck" and I'm not even sure it's a positive kind of fuck either.

The single best thing to have come from MGS5 in my opinion is this:

We hold our rifles in missing hands
We stand tall on missing legs
We stride forward on the bones of our fallen
Then, and only then, are we alive

brau

I'm just exhausted by the entire Metal Gear saga. Been taking the story seriously (religiously) since release date of MGS1. MGS4 was literally one of my life's biggest emotional roller-coasters ever. And here we are at the grand finale - and all I feel is "fuck" and I'm not even sure it's a positive kind of fuck either.

as an all time follower sine PS1 era it would be interesting to read about your impressions as a whole, for the game and any lasting thoughts.

I understand how it is.. i have been following the games since the MSX... its been a long haul.

Yoshichan

as an all time follower sine PS1 era it would be interesting to read about your impressions as a whole, for the game and any lasting thoughts.

I understand how it is.. i have been following the games since the MSX... its been a long haul.
I... would like to do that. But not today, I simply can't process what just happened and too much hyperbole might come from me at my current state. I can however state that this game, purely from a gameplay perspective, is the best MGS out there - there's no denying in that.

brau

I... would like to do that. But not today, I simply can't process what just happened and too much hyperbole might come from me at my current state. I can however state that this game, purely from a gameplay perspective, is the best MGS out there - there's no denying in that.

agreed. The nature of MGS to transition from stealth to gunplay always seemed a bit off. First MGS to do it a very organic and responsive way. Its quite a treat to get into it.

Anyways.. take a good break. Enjoy the expansion of TW3 perhaps. Its really have been helping me rinse that lasting impression that MGSV left on me.

All in all.. i guess its been one heck of a ride with Kojima.

Neiteio

The single best thing to have come from MGS5 in my opinion is this:

We hold our rifles in missing hands
We stand tall on missing legs
We stride forward on the bones of our fallen
Then, and only then, are we alive
Don't look at it as the series' end or grand finale. Story-wise, it's some connective tissue in the middle. A character piece, really. You already got your end in MGS4.

Yoshichan

All in all.. i guess its been one heck of a ride with Kojima.
I never thought I'd do this, but...

*Ishmael salute*

Don't look at it as the series' end or grand finale. Story-wise, it's some connective tissue in the middle. A character piece, really. You already got your end in MGS4.

Exactly. Also, we have to acknowledge that more burden got placed on this game's shoulders than it really deserved once Kojima's departure was announced. I don't think it was supposed to be the ending of the series when it was being planned.

Exactly. Also, we have to acknowledge that more burden got placed on this game's shoulders than it really deserved once Kojima's departure was announced. I don't think it was supposed to be the ending of the series when it was being planned.

I can bet that it isn't even the end of the series we think it is now. Konami will release another MGS game eventually.

I think that the trailers was the thing that placed more burden. The E3 2013 trailer it will forever be my favorite one, since it is the only one that really showcased the gameplay driven nature of this game. The others should have been like that.

Re-watching the trailers, made me feel that there was an opportunity to do other things in the story arc. I still love the game as a whole, and I liked the story and what it delivers, but in no doubt the trailers overhyped the cinematic element that it ended being like a 10% of the game.

PokéKong

Is anyone else kinda annoyed with how villains are treated in the MGS series for the most part? They seem to be used like disposable monsters of the week from some saturday morning cartoon, despite seeming like such strong characters who deserve a little better. Liquid Snake, effective invented and disposed of within the span of MGS1, his "return" was all a ruse and references and appearances of him in prequels have little to no impact or significance on the main plot. Solidus Snake is foreshadowed a single time in 1, then gets killed in the end and is only ever used again as a corpse misdirection/mcguffin, not even ever mentioned again in the prequels during any time mes enfants terrible is discussed. Volgin gets the same basic deal, showing up in the weirdest way possible in V that left me asking why'd they even bother. The one big exception is Ocelot in 4, the one true character villain who you could truly call an adversary for the entire series, it is only bogged down slightly by the whole dumb Liquid/Ocelot thing, yeah I get the excuse for that but it would've been much cooler to simply have pure Ocelot as the antagonist for that game. And then here we have Skull Face who is the most super villainous, who just oozes classic evil charms in all his mannerisms and speech, and of course is totally killed off not even at the end of the game never to have any relevance again.

The best legacy I can think for him is that maybe he gave the world the idea for Orbital Frames. And had a bad idea which maybe was later further developed into a more practical idea for FOXDIE.

Roni

Gold Member
PokéKong;181552503 said:
Is anyone else kinda annoyed with how villains are treated in the MGS series for the most part? They seem to be used like disposable monsters of the week from some saturday morning cartoon, despite seeming like such strong characters who deserve a little better. Liquid Snake, effective invented and disposed of within the span of MGS1, his "return" was all a ruse and references and appearances of him in prequels have little to no impact or significance on the main plot. Solidus Snake is foreshadowed a single time in 1, then gets killed in the end and is only ever used again as a corpse misdirection/mcguffin, not even ever mentioned again in the prequels during any time mes enfants terrible is discussed. Volgin gets the same basic deal, showing up in the weirdest way possible in V that left me asking why'd they even bother. The one big exception is Ocelot in 4, the one true character villain who you could truly call an adversary for the entire series, it is only bogged down slightly by the whole dumb Liquid/Ocelot thing, yeah I get the excuse for that but it would've been much cooler to simply have pure Ocelot as the antagonist for that game. And then here we have Skull Face who is the most super villainous, who just oozes classic evil charms in all his mannerisms and speech, and of course is totally killed off not even at the end of the game never to have any relevance again.

The best legacy I can think for him is that maybe he gave the world the idea for Orbital Frames. And had a bad idea which maybe was later further developed into a more practical idea for FOXDIE.

An argument can be made that Ocelot was never a villain, just an enemy.

And I'd rather Skull Face be portrayed straight as the type of villain he is rather than pull an Armstrong for the sake of exposition.

Finally finished this shit of chapter 2 that dragged for too long and I'm welcomed with an incomplete stupid ending, having Quiet removed FOREVER, for reasons (I can see Konami selling a DLC that brings her back) and well, more stupid shit.

I kinda wish, MGS ended with 4, I mean, that was even a more stupid bunch of non-sense, but at least was a closure.

Xiraiya

PokéKong;181552503 said:

The best legacy for Skull Face is the fact he was such an utterly messed up individual who was literally not even human anymore in every concept. He looked like a monster, he did goddamn monstrous things without any hesitation and was dramatic to boot, I loved the concept of him because of how extreme he was with no good qualities, even his death was hatable because of how unfulfilling it was.

He was a monster too dangerous for history to know about, just like Sahelanthropus actually, the patriots were big on information control and Sahel was one of the things I think everyone could agree on that should never exist, it was a freak of nature outside of the times.
You could always say Orbital Frames came from the design of Sahel but I really don't know if that can be true simply because of the fact everyone agreed the world would tear it's self apart ever knowing it existed.

It's a phantom like Venom, and Skull Face.
I wish Hellbound never revealed it's upright form, because then that first fight would have been like a real MGS1 REX fight only out in the open with you getting the hell out of there, and then 31 would have had that amazing moment where it stands up.

This game overall kind of makes me feel like it's a phantom, which honestly I would argue Kojima knew that's how it would leave players feeling and just rolled with it as a meta-narrative since whatever he originally envisioned was never going to exist properly due to time, budget, Konami and so on, so he took what was there and reconfigured it into what we have. He isn't perfect but he is intelligent and aware enough I think to spin it that way.

Ashura_MX

Finally finished this shit of chapter 2 that dragged for too long and I'm welcomed with an incomplete stupid ending, having Quiet removed FOREVER, for reasons (I can see Konami selling a DLC that brings her back) and well, more stupid shit.

I kinda wish, MGS ended with 4, I mean, that was even a more stupid bunch of non-sense, but at least was a closure.

I'd agree except the gameplay in V is excellent. But your post, I like.

Also just discovered the GMP cap is 5737830. Likely most know this by now but I thought it was just odd.

I want to say its higher than that, it might be 10 million... Last I checked I was at 7.5 million... I'll double check when I login tonight.

Also somehow messed up modding quiet back in... I don't think I forgot any steps, the data file was modified according to windows... but I didn't see her on the buddy select screen... I wonder if I need to complete a mission to trigger her coming back?

Xiraiya

GMP cap is 5 Million
Material resources cap is 200k (200k for processed and also 200k for unprocessed, 400k total)
Plants cap is 3k per plant

Before anyone gets any weird ideas, it's been that way since release day.
FOB update didn't affect caps, what it does do however is add an online inventory that is actually separate, but the game reads those numbers as a single number for each thing.

So for example the GMP cap now is probably 10 million total, 5 Million offline inventory and 5 Million online inventory.

It's easy to just assume the caps are now double (It might actually go up by original cap amounts per FOBs, so if you have 2 FOBs your GMP cap might be 15 million total.

kotodama

Thanks for these threads all. GAF's parasite unit discussion is the true conclusion to this series. The speculation, talk and everything is better than any Kojima Metal Gear game.

Beat the game the day before yesterday, but with that ending(s??) I just kept playing the side ops hoping for another random mission unlock because you know that Eli story arc is left all dangling over there. After watching that Mission 51 video, I got to say, seriously they couldn't have shoehorned that in? Take Mission 50 and just put it on the Africa map, book end it with those 30% cinematics, done. Although lazy, Chapter 2 is all about recycled crap.

MechaX

So why did Big Boss go back to the US and Foxhound after creating Outer Heaven?

I think Venom was the one who created the initial Outer Heaven, and Big Boss's true goal was Zanzibarland.

Of course, it kinda defeats the point to enter the limelight again and have Cipher have confirmation that there are two Big Bosses (and don't even tell me that Cipher couldn't figure out that Venom folded Diamond Dogs into Outer Heaven), or at least recognize the problem that the one guy who happens to be the target for the entire world just kinda joined your black ops unit without actually hiding his identity. But then again, this is the same super computer that Ocelot had to trick into believing in ghosts with a 40 year gambit + near actual spiritual possession.

I just fully completed the game and rewatched Episode 51 and to be honest... even though I spoiled myself way in advance, I still feel disappointed.

Thanks for these threads all. GAF's parasite unit discussion is the true conclusion to this series. The speculation, talk and everything is better than any Kojima Metal Gear game.

Beat the game the day before yesterday, but with that ending(s??) I just kept playing the side ops hoping for another random mission unlock because you know that Eli story arc is left all dangling over there. After watching that Mission 51 video, I got to say, seriously they couldn't have shoehorned that in? Take Mission 50 and just put it on the Africa map, book end it with those 30% cinematics, done. Although lazy, Chapter 2 is all about recycled crap.

Because it's still coming man. October 20th.

Never be Game Over Bro.

Never be Game Over.

lol

omg pls be real

Yeah this song is great. It's my most listened to from the MGS music. That'll change once I find the Snake Eater and Heaven's Divide tape tho :^)
(I heard Heavens Divide is just the instrumental though which SUCKS)

Never be Game Over Bro.

Never be Game Over.

lol

omg pls be real
What's happening on October 20th???????

Yeah this song is great. It's my most listened to from the MGS music. That'll change once I find the Snake Eater and Heaven's Divide tape tho :^)
(I heard Heavens Divide is just the instrumental though which SUCKS)

What's happening on October 20th???????

I think that's the current date that r/neverbegameover thinks we're getting something. The novelization is out on the 26th, and the current FOB event runs until the 20th. Some are speculating an event that will lead to the disarmament cut scene will begin on the 20th.

But they're all crazies so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kotodama

Never be Game Over Bro.

Never be Game Over.

lol

omg pls be real

After plowing through the Legacy Collection and then this... is it wrong that I want it to be Game Over? Kind of wish Solid Snake shot himself in 4, but then again it's not like they couldn't have made this if he did.

Gameplay-wise I think each Metal Gear improved upon each previous, with some weird regressions, like the lack of crawling in PW, or how about bringing back the camo-index vs just using the sneaking suit for everything. Open world and hunting for food would be cool too. Lots of animals to fulton extract after all.

Story-wise the larger the scope the more overwrought and shitty it got.

Take this series outback and shoot it.

Still, I'm thinking if Kojima did a kickstarter and he was constrained by the amount of money he picked up, he might pull something genuinely good out..or is it just the post traumatic metal gear syndrome talking.

Finally, aside from generic Hamburger tapes and Sony Walkman, where are my product placements for Calorie Mates? Costa Rican Coffee? Ramen?

It has been bloody frustrating to deal with avatar customization because of that notable reduction in quality. I've probably invested well over a hour in an effort to make a decent creation, but returning to the in-game model renders it hardly distinguishable from a preset. The lack of shrapnel partly throws off the visual appeal, too. Has there been any interesting tutorials out there for making noteworthy faces? I wouldn't mind trying to recreate something close to a younger Snake and/or Medic although my best work probably was my initial effort at Decoy Octopus upon launch.

So what is the song everyone has listened to the most in the game?
"A Phantom Pain" by Ludvig Forssell. I'm still baffled over why Kojima didn't take better artistic license with implementing the original soundtrack he commissioned for this game.

Golnei

Forssell's three vocal tracks (A Phantom Pain, Behind the Drapery, How bout them zombies, ey?) were all fantastic; though I tended to listen to Behind the Drapery a little more just because of how catchy it is. I know I'm repeating myself, but I'll never get over how poorly they were used - A Phantom Pain was basically set up to be the successor to Snake Eater; being used in an animated title credits sequence, and 'How bout them zombies' would have worked perfectly for Skull battles.

Finally, aside from generic Hamburger tapes and Sony Walkman, where are my product placements for Calorie Mates? Costa Rican Coffee? Ramen?

After the shameful orgy of product placement that was the Japanese version of Peace Walker; I'm kind of glad this game dialed things back a little. For the most part, at least.

Top Bottom