• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Golnei

The problem with the boss fights is lack of characterization. Gameplay wise, I thought some of the bosses were good, like the sniping skulls (the fact that you can avoid them makes it even more interesting) or the one in the airport. Quiet was a bit simple, but I enjoyed too.

Giving the Skull Snipers actual distinct characters could have helped things, but I'd definitely argue the Mist/Armour Skulls, Eli and Volgin were underwhelming from a gameplay perspective as well. The scarcity of bosses also hurt a lot, overall. If you compare how many unique boss enemies the game has, not counting variations separately, you get a fairly disappointing lineup.

*Mist Skulls / Armour Skulls
*Quiet / Sniper Skulls
*Eli
*Man on Fire
*Sahelanthropus

Compared to:

*Revolver Ocelot
*Abrams M1
*Grey Fox
*Psycho Mantis
*Sniper Wolf / Sniper Wolf With A Coat
*Hind D
*Vulcan Raven
*REX
*Liquid Snake

and

*Ocelot Unit
*Major Ocelot
*The Pain
*The Fear
*The End
*The Fury
*Volgin
*Shagohod
*The Boss

Especially considering MGSV's 5 boss types are spread out across a significantly larger game than 1 or 3, the lack of variety in boss enemies is very apparent. And while their diminutive number would be excusable if every one of them were unique and dynamic battles that outclassed or at least competed with prior bosses in the series, most could be compared with the midbosses of previous games rather than competing with the design of more memorable highlight enemies.

heringer

What about Eli? You also forgot the earlier Snuffleupagus mission where you have to escape.

Gameplay wise they absolutely are. Easily. The Pain is the only dud in the bunch.

Eh, I guess we'll agree to disagree. But to be honest, I never thought MGS boss fights were all that great to begin with.

heringer

Giving the Skull Snipers actual distinct characters could have helped things, but I'd definitely argue the Mist/Armour Skulls, Eli and Volgin were underwhelming from a gameplay perspective as well. The scarcity of bosses also hurt a lot, overall. If you compare how many unique boss enemies the game has, not counting variations separately, you get a fairly disappointing lineup.

*Mist Skulls / Armour Skulls
*Quiet / Sniper Skulls
*Eli
*Man on Fire
*Sahelanthropus

Compared to:

*Revolver Ocelot
*Abrams M1
*Grey Fox
*Psycho Mantis
*Sniper Wolf / Sniper Wolf With A Coat
*Hind D
*Vulcan Raven
*REX
*Liquid Snake

and

*Ocelot Unit
*Major Ocelot
*The Pain
*The Fear
*The End
*The Fury
*Volgin
*Shagohod
*The Boss

Especially considering MGSV's 5 boss types are spread out across a significantly larger game than 1 or 3, the lack of variety in boss enemies is very apparent. And while their diminutive number would be excusable if every one of them were unique and dynamic battles that outclassed or at least competed with prior bosses in the series, most could be compared with the midbosses of previous games rather than competing with the design of more memorable highlight enemies.

I agree, though I would still argue the sniper and armoured skulls on the airport can easily stand with most of the boss battles in the series. I honestly believe 90% of MGS boss battles are overrated. I do have a soft spot for the sniper boss fights, though, especially The End and Sniper Wolf. I kind of dislike the bosses in MGS3 because they mostly boil down to aiming and shooting, and the shooting controls are just bad.

But yeah, there's a distinct lack of boss fights in the game, and most of them are really disappointing.

Ashura_MX

Vamp is a good boss fight, both times, ladder boss if you going to count Skulls mission 1; killing them is not even a side objective there.

You have the elevator and the cells, soldiers as boss fights in mgs1.

Xiraiya

I2v2f1z.png

Something I noticed from the cutscene after you rescue Kaz, if I remember rightly, you never get that good a shot of Medic blocking Big Boss in either GZ or Paz versions of this scene, but what bothers me is Medic is unmasked here, the Paz cutscene is the only time Medic is ever actually masked. Venom can't be the medic, he can't have a pre-existing face exposed to us in multiple versions of a cutscene and then be covered in one faulty/unreliable version AND also have a player-created face.

Also this whole scene has that strange moment where Big Boss is looking out of the chopper in his "post-explosion" state which makes no sense as we were lead to believe the explosion put him in a coma along with Venom.

Edzi

I2v2f1z.png

Something I noticed from the cutscene after you rescue Kaz, if I remember rightly, you never get that good a shot of Medic blocking Big Boss in either GZ or Paz versions of this scene, but what bothers me is Medic is unmasked here, the Paz cutscene is the only time Medic is ever actually masked. Venom can't be the medic, he can't have a pre-existing face exposed to us in multiple versions of a cutscene and then be covered in one faulty/unreliable version AND also have a player-created face.

Also this whole scene has that strange moment where Big Boss is looking out of the chopper in his "post-explosion" state which makes no sense as we were lead to believe the explosion put him in a coma along with Venom.

This is why it's utterly pointless to try to connect these stories together. Kojima is very clearly making it up as he goes, and he does not give a damn about consistency or his story making sense. No amount of over analyzing will ever overcome that fact.

Xiraiya

This is why it's utterly pointless to try to connect these stories together. Kojima is very clearly making it up as he goes, and he does not give a damn about consistency or his story making sense. No amount of over analyzing will ever overcome that fact.
That's an awfully jaded view to have.

Xiraiya

Dude. He is.
Is he? because all we really know was "He was a medic too", we have photos from the start of the game but the "medic" in those photos has two completely opposite stances, as far as anyone can tell there are two medics, one masked, one that is you. The masked one we had in the Paz cutscene trying to imply was you, but he has Ishmael's face in every other version of that cutscene.

I'm just saying, this whole game is about psychological states and schizophrenia, words controlling the subconscious and all that, just because something doesn't immediately make sense, I would think people would know better than to assume "Oh they just fucked up."

Actually speaking of those Photos, I want to point out that the chopper is the same type as Skullface's XOF Chopper (With the DD Pilot and that drug number), Motherbase doesn't use that kind of chopper.

Edzi

That's an awfully jaded view to have.

I dunno, I kinda think it's hard to deny it at this point. Hasn't Kojima come out and said that he doesn't really care about making a consistent story? And do you honestly think he ever planned out anything past the game he was currently working on?

Xiraiya

I dunno, I kinda think it's hard to deny it at this point. Hasn't Kojima come out and said that he doesn't really care about making a consistent story? And do you honestly think he ever planned out anything past the game he was currently working on?
That was in the context of older games like MG1 and MGS saga as a whole, not within the same game.

Xiraiya

Oh man, totally forgot we didn't get a link with Sniper Wolf in this game. :(
We didn't get one with Naomi or Gray Fox either, since he found her in Mozambique in the 80s and the Big Boss found them both and took them back to the US.
But I guess since we aren't Big Boss then we don't get that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
okay I'm back in this thread again... third day in a row that I've felt my body so empty because of this game.

How did V lose his eye? Did he even lose it? They the fucking idiots really plop his eye off for the sake of authenticity?

Neiteio

okay I'm back in this thread again... third day in a row that I've felt my body so empty because of this game.
:-\

Yoshichan said:
How did V lose his eye? Did he even lose it? They the fucking idiots really plop his eye off for the sake of authenticity?
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume he happened to lose the same eye in the crash.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:-\

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume he happened to lose the same eye in the crash.
I refuse to believe such coincidence events ._.

kotodama

Does it bother anybody that within the Metal Gear Timeline MGSV has kind of the most technological advanced bosses (no nanomachines, but parasites work right)? It's neato and all, but it really kind of makes Rex, Ray, etc look like a retrogression. Not to mention Peace Walker and Zeke being before them as well.

Speaking of Boss fights, I'm thinking the battle with the mechanized soviet battalion was probably the most satisfying boss fight. No bullet sponge non-sense, just you, up against waves and waves of armor et al. That kind of felt really like the end of the game for me. Also it's kind of what I'd imagine Mission 51 feeling like, sort of, but with waves and waves of Diamond Dogs attacking Snuffaluffagus. Epic.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does it bother anybody that within the Metal Gear Timeline MGSV has kind of the most technological advanced bosses (no nanomachines, but parasites work right)? It's neato and all, but it really kind of makes Rex, Ray, etc look like a retrogression. Not to mention Peace Walker and Zeke being before them as well.

Well the "official" explanation is of course that Sahelanthropus secretly is a piece of shit with mediocre armor and a cockpit only a child would fit in [because Huey is a fucking idiot]. After Eli steals Sahelanthropus it just magically disappears from the lore just like Skull Face because in the MGS universe it's easy to erase stuff from history.

Diamond Dogs had a meeting after Eli got away where they all sat in a circle and swore to Big Boss that no one would ever mention Sahelanthropus again. Because as we all know the best way to deal with problems is just to pretend they're not there until they eventually go away.

But yeah, let's ignore the fact that Sahelanthropus can summon a magic fire whip-sword that can shoot exploding spikes out of the ground for a 2-mile radius that emit clouds of insta-rust mist.

Johndoey

Banned
Well. That's the problem right there then. ;)
What is your favorite boss fight in this series? I'd peg you for The Boss or maybe Liquid?

General question to the thread favourite Boss fight in MGS?

Because people had a bad time with the game and feel a bit betrayed, I honestly think some people aren’t giving it quite enough credit.
I love that people are annoyed at the game it's a beautiful thing to see and read genuinely emotional responses to a product. Just give everyone a few months all the opinions will properly solidify by then. And of course the actual response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Johndoey

Banned
Skull Face is my new favorite video game villain he's such a goof I love it. I wish he had a few more super bombastic lines in the game the delivery is so damn good.

Edit: I just realized Skull Face is basically the Hate-Monger or maybe Von Strucker?

Furyous

The entire time I thought I was playing as Big Boss was me playing as a member of the medical team?!!!! Not the combat team, not the security team, not the base development staff, not the support staff, but the FUCKING MEDICAL TEAM. *Scust at this BS* I'm building a PMC thinking I'm battlefield Jesus but instead I'm a lesser being. How would Big Boss handle these missions? I doubt he kills Quiet and lets Huey on the base at all.

Those flashbacks and flash forwards in time screwed my head up but let's talk about the implications for the series moving forwards... SPOIL, SPOIL, I'M SPOILING GOTDAMMIT.

I refuse to believe Zero, Chico, Paz, Sigit, the Medic, and Big Boss are dead. The tapes mention how Zero was in a secure location in Hell's Kitchen. "Paz" or whoever she really was met with Zero there. Now here's where my theory starts. Zero gave Paz the Venom Snake treatment as she left the base only this time he didn't have to wait 9 years. He mentions how there were eight other candidates there for the role of "Paz". How do we know he didn't Venom Snake her (fake her death and use body double conditioned with her memories) and allow her to return to life as a student while fake Paz lures Skullface to his location? Yeah, Paz is alive somewhere and could come back for MGS 6. This gets to my next part in theory.

If Zero's location was so secure and he could move any time he wanted. Then how do we know he was there in the first place for the meeting with Skullface? For all we know Zero used body double to meet Skullface and survived through the body double taking the fall thanks to Cipher trickery. According to the tapes Cipher already had information control in place at this point in time. You might say we saw him die in MGS4 but nah, body double + hypnosis + nanomachines.

If the Patriots could revive Big Boss and keep him alive secretly then Chico made it out of the plane crash alive too. Remember Kaz mentions Chico died in passing to VS but we never see Chico's dead body. I can easily see a scenario where Chico wakes up after his 20 year coma with a recording from Big Boss and Fake Major Zero telling him to lead the new world's soldiers.

Sigit had access to information control and nanomachines so he's not dead. Matter of fact he was on the mission when Big Boss faked his death at one point so he's not dead either. Dr. Clark had access to years of research on rebirth and death so she survived as well. The end of MGS4 proves the Patriots are alive and well thanks to the reveal of Rat Patrol 1.

TL;DR If anyone can become the best soldier in world history thanks to hypnosis and a body double then it stands to reason that this logic extends to major players in the story. If Zero had enough time to plan ahead for this scenario then he had enough time to cover everyone else. Additionally, Cipher had time to keep themselves alive through everything thanks to this example.

As for MGS 6. It could take place in an era where militas rise up thanks to the legacy left behind by Snake and Big Boss. We're Chico with his right hand man Raiden leading the charge against everyone mobilizing Metal Gears while Solid takes the role of Colonel Campbell.

kotodama

Speaking of skullface, Idk if this has been posted yet but Skullface's Japanese voice actor narrated the TGS side ops gameplay. He's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOLfYtkYdo

I didn't like his slowest at first, even though it makes him infinitely more understandable, but his intonation as it rises and falls with the helicopter sniping, etc. ペルフェクトだよ! 「perufecto dayo!」

Damn it. Lets see if this Japanese Steam update works..

Golnei

Oh man, totally forgot we didn't get a link with Sniper Wolf in this game. :(

Sniper Wolf was definitely one of the characters whose absence I felt the most - it would have been believable enough for the Grey Fox and Naomi stuff to happen offscreen and Solidus didn't really need to be there (being mentioned once would have been nice, though); but a cameo from Wolf as a child would have been more justified than Liquid, Volgin, Ocelot or even Mantis' appearances. Having met Venom instead of the actual Big Boss wouldn't really have cheapened her story that much, either - I'm not even sure if she explicitly referred to Big Boss by name in MGS1.

He didn't. Apparently the shrapnel pressing on his optic nerve damaged his sight in that eye, but it's otherwise intact.

The Adder

Banned
Thinking on it, how the fuck did the Patriot AI NOT turn the world into the future from Terminator?

Consider:

Zero's dream is a world where people are united, no more divisions by nation or ethnicity.

Big Boss' dream is a world in which soldiers are no longer tools to be thrown away and always have a purpose.

The easiest way to achieve Zero's goals is to find a way to incorporate Big Boss' so there is no longer conflict between their factions.

The future in Terminator is one in which humans are united against a common enemy and EVERYONE is a soldier.

The Patriots should have been Skynet in the end.

heringer

The entire time I thought I was playing as Big Boss was me playing as a member of the medical team?!!!! Not the combat team, not the security team, not the base development staff, not the support staff, but the FUCKING MEDICAL TEAM. *Scust at this BS* I'm building a PMC thinking I'm battlefield Jesus but instead I'm a lesser being. How would Big Boss handle these missions? I doubt he kills Quiet and lets Huey on the base at all.

Those flashbacks and flash forwards in time screwed my head up but let's talk about the implications for the series moving forwards... SPOIL, SPOIL, I'M SPOILING GOTDAMMIT.

I refuse to believe Zero, Chico, Paz, Sigit, the Medic, and Big Boss are dead. The tapes mention how Zero was in a secure location in Hell's Kitchen. "Paz" or whoever she really was met with Zero there. Now here's where my theory starts. Zero gave Paz the Venom Snake treatment as she left the base only this time he didn't have to wait 9 years. He mentions how there were eight other candidates there for the role of "Paz". How do we know he didn't Venom Snake her (fake her death and use body double conditioned with her memories) and allow her to return to life as a student while fake Paz lures Skullface to his location? Yeah, Paz is alive somewhere and could come back for MGS 6. This gets to my next part in theory.

If Zero's location was so secure and he could move any time he wanted. Then how do we know he was there in the first place for the meeting with Skullface? For all we know Zero used body double to meet Skullface and survived through the body double taking the fall thanks to Cipher trickery. According to the tapes Cipher already had information control in place at this point in time. You might say we saw him die in MGS4 but nah, body double + hypnosis + nanomachines.

If the Patriots could revive Big Boss and keep him alive secretly then Chico made it out of the plane crash alive too. Remember Kaz mentions Chico died in passing to VS but we never see Chico's dead body. I can easily see a scenario where Chico wakes up after his 20 year coma with a recording from Big Boss and Fake Major Zero telling him to lead the new world's soldiers.

Sigit had access to information control and nanomachines so he's not dead. Matter of fact he was on the mission when Big Boss faked his death at one point so he's not dead either. Dr. Clark had access to years of research on rebirth and death so she survived as well. The end of MGS4 proves the Patriots are alive and well thanks to the reveal of Rat Patrol 1.

TL;DR If anyone can become the best soldier in world history thanks to hypnosis and a body double then it stands to reason that this logic extends to major players in the story. If Zero had enough time to plan ahead for this scenario then he had enough time to cover everyone else. Additionally, Cipher had time to keep themselves alive through everything thanks to this example.

As for MGS 6. It could take place in an era where militas rise up thanks to the legacy left behind by Snake and Big Boss. We're Chico with his right hand man Raiden leading the charge against everyone mobilizing Metal Gears while Solid takes the role of Colonel Campbell.

Does it matter if he is a medic? He was considered the best soldier they had and the dude is a badass anyway. His accomplishments are just as impressive as BB's and Solid Snake. What people don't seem to get is that Venom is part of the legend called Big Boss. He is in no way a lesser being.

You shouldn't be saying "dude is just a medic", you should be saying "dude is this badass AND he is a medic to boot??".

And before MGS6 we will have MGS5 man. Believe. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Which Snake do you guys think is the best soldier? Big Boss is clearly the best leader, but in terms of accomplishments, can Venom hold a candle to BB and Solid Snake?

The problem with the boss fights is lack of characterization. Gameplay wise, I thought some of the bosses were good, like the sniping skulls (the fact that you can avoid them makes it even more interesting) or the one in the airport. Quiet was a bit easy, but I enjoyed too.

If you think back, the Cobra unit boss fights weren't that great at all, The End aside. What made them interesting was the cool characterization. The skulls were just plain boring and under explored.

Wait, the skull snipers were a boss? That fight took like 5 minutes to finish. It was insanely easy.

Golnei

Wait, the skull snipers were a boss? That fight took like 5 minutes to finish. It was insanely easy.

That isn't really that out of keeping with previous bosses in the series by itself - Olga, Ocelot and Sniper Wolf herself were all similarly easy. The issue is that alongside Sahelanthropus, the sniper Skulls are the best MGSV has to offer in terms of bosses. They're reasonably fun on their own, but the game needed so much more variety and challenge from its boss enemies.

LowParry

That isn't really that out of keeping with previous bosses in the series by itself - Olga, Ocelot and Sniper Wolf herself were all similarly easy. The issue is that alongside Sahelanthropus, the sniper Skulls are the best MGSV has to offer in terms of bosses. They're reasonably fun on their own, but the game needed so much more variety and challenge from its boss enemies.

Or ya know, characters with personality that makes them ya know, a boss. 4 random snipers show up? Run run run run run run,...okay done. Yeah. Awesome boss. We needed that Metal Gear Solid flare. Where was my over the top crazy villain who obsessed over bombs, drank wine and roller-skated? Or jet packed himself around in space gear with fire? It killed me that we didn't get any of that. It is what it is though.

Vamphuntr

Finally beat it. Took about 55 hours. I have mixed feeling about the game and I need to let settle down a bit but overall I felt 4/5 were more or less padding. There's very little story missions that had to do with the plot and instead you keep getting generic extraction and assassination missions, The second part of the game where they forced you to do side-ops to unlock the rest of the game was really shoddy.

The way the game was hyped was that you would see how Big Boss becomes a demon and in the end he does nothing of the sort. Because, well you're not really Big Boss and the worst thing he does is Mission 43 and he has to because otherwise the parasite would spread.

I feel like they had a plot and story content to last around 10 hours and padded it to 40+ with open world collect-a-ton and copy pasted content.

Skull face was a laughable villain compared to Ground Zeroes. In fact, Huey did cause much more shocking events than him.

Golnei

Or ya know, characters with personality that makes them ya know, a boss. 4 random snipers show up? Run run run run run run,...okay done. Yeah. Awesome boss. We needed that Metal Gear Solid flare. Where was my over the top crazy villain who obsessed over bombs, drank wine and roller-skated? Or jet packed himself around in space gear with fire? It killed me that we didn't get any of that. It is what it is though.

I'm not arguing that actual characterisation wasn't acutely missing as well; just that from a gameplay perspective, the sniper Skulls weren't much worse than the majority of Metal Gear bosses. And even then, I wouldn't have had an issue with the Skulls' interchangeable blandness if there were other, more interesting bosses alongside them - nobody levels complaints against MGS1 for having dull bosses because the camouflaged Genome Soldiers on the elevator weren't given enough personality.

So for paz's story, you gotta visit after each wandering solider extract ? I have already extracted like 5 soldiers before without having any knowledge of paz, so now what ?

Also how do I get mission 45/ queit walkout unlock ?
Edit: nvm, my bond just reached maximum and she disappeared on her own.

Golnei

So for paz's story, you gotta visit after each wandering solider extract ? I have already extracted like 5 soldiers before without having any knowledge of paz, so now what ?

The wandering soldiers you've extracted before meeting her will still count towards the overall total, just keep visiting her. I think you have to wait an in-game day before she becomes responsive again, though.

Haunted

It's probably just the move to community, but both this thread and the OT have slowed down a ton.

Finally beat it. Took about 55 hours. I have mixed feeling about the game and I need to let settle down a bit but overall I felt 4/5 were more or less padding. There's very little story missions that had to do with the plot and instead you keep getting generic extraction and assassination missions, The second part of the game where they forced you to do side-ops to unlock the rest of the game was really shoddy.

The way the game was hyped was that you would see how Big Boss becomes a demon and in the end he does nothing of the sort. Because, well you're not really Big Boss and the worst thing he does is Mission 43 and he has to because otherwise the parasite would spread.

I feel like they had a plot and story content to last around 10 hours and padded it to 40+ with open world collect-a-ton and copy pasted content.

Skull face was a laughable villain compared to Ground Zeroes. In fact, Huey did cause much more shocking events than him.
Very true. People bag on chapter 2 for being short, but if you go back and actually count the story-related missions in the first chapter, it comes out to be fairly close (since the second chapter has more yellow sideops, which are story related). The whole structure is just fucked up with tons of padding from A to Z.

Agreed with your observations.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's probably just the move to community, but both this thread and the OT have slowed down a ton.

Probably because there's nothing to discuss, really. Many have come to terms with what the game is and moved on, the conspiracy theories have died down, the lingering hope of some mysterious chapter 3 unlock hidden deep within the game crushed.

It's over. And this is the way one of the greatest franchises ever created ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Probably because there's nothing to discuss, really. Many have come to terms with what the game is and moved on, the conspiracy theories have died down, the lingering hope of some mysterious chapter 3 unlock hidden deep within the game crushed.

It's over. And this is the way one of the greatest franchises ever created ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Hardly. More like a thunderous crack as the community split into two.

What is your favorite boss fight in this series? I'd peg you for The Boss or maybe Liquid?

I do like the fist fights!

You're right, The Boss wins out overall for gameplay/stakes/emotional punch, but The End is right up there for the myriad of ways you can complete it. I love how you can get really stuck into it. Can't decide between them.

Honourable mentions: The Sorrow/Psycho Mantis are top notch because I love lateral thinking puzzles. I also really like the Olga and Major Ocelot fights; they test your FP skills, have great environmental quirks, and they're both badasses.

Oh, and Solidus too! And Eli's fights!

Man, there's too many good boss fights in the series.

Having said all that, the battles with the Elite Units (Invisible Genomes, Ocelots, Tengu, FROGs etc.) are the ones that I always look forward to (yes, I do consider them boss battles). I think that's why I enjoyed fighting The Skulls so much, they're like the ultimate version of all those battles combined.

Golnei

my favourite boss by far was eli, yes i am sick for getting kick out of cqc'ing a kid

The first time I played through the rematch, my first instinct was to run him over. Considering everything he survives in MGS1, it's kind of unfair that doing that fails the mission.

Top Bottom