• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Golnei

The story on its own isn't super interesting, but when you realize its stealthily trolling Kojima throughout the entire game it becomes fantastic. The whole story is like borderline an affectionate parody of Kojima's writing.

It's parody on some level, but it's also structurally superior to anything in the actual Metal Gear series after 3 in some ways, especially when you consider the general tone.
And even if they were underexplored, I genuinely liked the cast and world as well, especially how they were expanded through the codec calls.

He can dress her how he wants and in a conversation critiquing the game's narrative we can not like it.

You have the right to not like it, but you shouldn't complain. It was never your decision to make; and if you hate the game enough to whine about such little annoyances as that, surely you can make more objective critiques without bringing in personal politics. You have a right to your own opinion, but don't push it on everyone else - unless you're assuming everyone else in the conversation is a sex-hating radical feminist, Quiet's clothing should have no bearing on the quality of the narrative, especially so many years after she was revealed.

Does anyone know if anything has been added to GZ post TPP launch?
Nah, I don't believe anything has been unlocked or patched for Ground Zeroes. Initially, Kojima promised that additional missions/content would be available for those that purchased the subsequent release, but those plans were blatantly trimmed presumably for time/budgeting constraints. Konami later reneged on his words claiming Camp Omega was simply going to be revisited as a multi-player map despite the waterboarding scene from the E3 2013 trailer showcasing otherwise.

Does anyone know if there are any references to Policenauts in MGSV?
I don't believe there are any immediate references. Kojima already went all-out with them in MGS4: Guns of the Patriots through Meryl Silverburgh's bullet-earrings, alternate reality variants of Jonathan and Ed, plus various iPod tunes.

So at some point, does Phantom Boss turn "evil" (whatever that means in the MGS universe)?
At the moment, it doesn't appear that Punished "Venom" Snake ever actually took a turn towards the "dark side" in the current canon. He seemingly accepts his fate as a doppelganger all the way into his death at the Outer Heaven Uprising. In fact, Phantom Pain establishes Venom Snake has been making stride to repress the "demon" within him even though nothing in the game ever really solidifies anything unquestionable negative about his character. It's a major fault in the storytelling when defining moments for a persona, such as the quarantine euthanizations, rescuing child soldiers, etc., are met with ambiguous discussions for critics and fans alike.

I finished the quiet ending and wow, i keep feeling that ending man. Ahab could have had a good life, instead he was sacrificed for someone else's revenge. He really is the best inherent of boss's legacy.
Agreed. Venom Snake was the better half to the legacy and it's an utter shame he accepted his fate so willingly. It would've been a great point of drama if he sought revenge for being robbed of his past and/or preceded to consider himself the true heir to the title of the renowned soldier. I believe that route could present an excellent narrative for another "missing link" in the saga and potentially deliver the dark turn that Big Boss truly deserves for his arc. It would never happen in a Hideo Kojima joint who appears to be the video game equivalent to Hideaki Anno based on the meta-analysis of their recent work being intentionally detrimental toward the fanbase. I'm hopefully another designer could tell a much more focused story if Konami moves forward with the franchise.

As a wayfair Spider-Man fan who suffered through the clone saga, I dislike the casual destruction of continuity, the way this game wraps opens major holes in MG1 and I won't go out of my way to find outs for Kojima.
Agreed. His trademark disregard for established canon has caused a diehard fan to loose a ton of respect for him as a storyteller over the past decade. Kojima's still admittedly a talented game designer, but his auteur tendencies have become increasingly self-destructive for the saga as the long-take cut-scenes and dialogue reduction are executed with surprising amateurish flare in comparison to its cinematic counterpart.

Someone data mined 20 more missions. Is this old news?
Possibly. Last time I heard anything about additional missions being data-mined were seemingly difficulty variants of previous stuff. Has actual story-related been unearthed?

Avoided all threads while I played; finished all the missions last night and was hoping to see something special but nothing. I loved the game but it feels empty at the end. I suppose that was the point.

Noticed a small detail that once Quiet is gone, her pics also disappear in the ACC.

Noticed that too. Strangely she's still listed in my brig.

Golnei

I don't believe there are any immediate references. Kojima already went all-out with them in MGS4: Guns of the Patriots through Meryl Silverburgh's bullet-earrings, alternate reality variants of Jonathan and Ed, plus various iPod tunes.

Considering how prominently it was sampled in 1, I always found it to be a bit of a shame that End of the Dark never became a recurring theme in the series outside of its cameo in 4.

Imagine if Hayter was in MGSV.

Mission 43: "I wont scatter your sorrow to the heartless seaaaagggghhhhh. I will always beeeggh with youghggggghhhhh. I won't seeeeeeggghhh you endggh as ashesugh. You're all diamondsauuuugggghh."
Heh

Golnei

Mission 43: "I wont scatter your sorrow to the heartless seaaaagggghhhhh. I will always beeeggh with youghggggghhhhh. I won't seeeeeeggghhh you endggh as ashesugh. You're all diamondsauuuugggghh."
Heh

He would have butchered that sequence, but it was no reason to leave him out of the game entirely. Imagine how well-suited his PW performance would have been to playing Code Talker.

He would have butchered that sequence, but it was no reason to leave him out of the game entirely. Imagine how well-suited his PW performance would have been to playing Code Talker.
Hahaha
tbh tho I still love hayter. I'm still sad to see that he didn't get to be in the last game after all his work for the series

AniHawk

Heh

i easily got over hayter's absence when i heard sutherland, but this is the point of the game where hayter would have been superemely outclassed. it's the highlight for sutherland as far as i'm concerned.

Grinchy

Banned

Heh
Yeah, Hayter would have done all 7 of Kiefer's lines wrong.

I see no problem with the way she is dressed and Kojima doesn't have to justify anything quite frankly. This is the way he wanted her to look. When you design your character in a video game, you'd get to make that decision yourself. I am really sick of people complaining about Quiet's clothes. Seriously, move on.

well its hard to move on when you wanna take the character seriously but it's impossible to. But more importantly, its the hypocrisy that stings. Koji can come with all bs logic behind why she's clothed this way but everyone in the end knows its just because he's that kind of guy.

meanspartan

Quick question- does the Miller/Ocelot convo at the end (with the MGS 5 logo and you just hear their voices) happen before or after the main events of the game?

I'm unclear if Miller knew the whole time, or if he found out after the events of the game, like we did as the player.

Golnei

well its hard to move on when you wanna take the character seriously but it's impossible to. But more importantly, its the hypocrisy that stings. Koji can come with all bs logic behind why she's clothed this way but everyone in the end knows its just because he's that kind of guy.

Maybe she was never meant to be taken seriously. Maybe that 'hypocrisy' on his part was intentional. Or maybe it doesn't matter what you think, because the only person who's qualified to criticise any aspect of a game, other than its basic functionality, is its director.

because the only person who's qualified to criticise any aspect of a game, other than its basic functionality, is its director.

Umm what is this shit lol. It would be one thing if i said "we demand it" or "it's our right" which it isn't because it's the artist's decision to make the choices he made. But as long time fans who deeply care about the series, it's absolutely just for fans to criticize things that they feel are detrimental to the series. Otherwise all the discussions will become a circle-jerk.

Also, i think it's because that sometime people don't call out Kojima on his shit that things have taken such an insane turn. Dude feels himself too much and gets carried away.

Agreed. Venom Snake was the better half to the legacy and it's an utter shame he accepted his fate so willingly. It would've been a great point of drama if he sought revenge for being robbed of his past and/or preceded to consider himself the true heir to the title of the renowned soldier. I believe that route could present an excellent narrative for another "missing link" in the saga and potentially deliver the dark turn that Big Boss truly deserves for his arc. It would never happen in a Hideo Kojima joint who appears to be the video game equivalent to Hideaki Anno based on the meta-analysis of their recent work being intentionally detrimental toward the fanbase. I'm hopefully another designer could tell a much more focused story if Konami moves forward with the franchise.

That's what I've thought, like it's crazy how well something like that could have tied into the game. Like when Kaz said "Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... And my arm... even my fingers... The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past," it could have easily foreshadowed Venom wanting to seek revenge against Big Boss and have him literally give back his past. But of course since Big Boss was in hiding developing Outer Heaven (or was it Zanzibar Land?), he could never be found to tell him the truth, as well as there not being any records left due to the destruction of MSF. This could have created a phantom pain due to him trying to remember what is no longer there, leading to the development of an identity crisis and soon after schizophrenia (which is what The Man Who Sold The World is about), eventually concluding in him becoming a demon.

Golnei

Umm what is this shit lol. It would be one thing if i said "we demand it" or "it's our right" which it isn't because it's the artist's decision to make the choices he made. But as long time fans who deeply care about the series, it's absolutely just for fans to criticize things that they feel are detrimental to the series. Otherwise all the discussions will become a circle-jerk.

Also, i think it's because that sometime people don't call out Kojima on his shit that things have taken such an insane turn. Dude feels himself too much and gets carried away.

If I had added an 'apparently' somewhere in there, would it be a little more obvious that I was commenting on Batzi's interesting interpretation of authorial intent?

Nah, I don't believe anything has been unlocked or patched for Ground Zeroes. Initially, Kojima promised that additional missions/content would be available for those that purchased the subsequent release, but those plans were blatantly trimmed presumably for time/budgeting constraints. Konami later reneged on his words claiming Camp Omega was simply going to be revisited as a multi-player map despite the waterboarding scene from the E3 2013 trailer showcasing otherwise.

i think part of this scene was used on the soldier being tortured during killer bee mission. kind of like how the mo-cap from the child soldier training "cut-scene" we saw in trailers ended up in the game during the pitch dark mission.

not that i don't think something from camp omega was cut from the game. it obviously was. i just don't think that scene is related. i hypothesized before the game was released that that scene would end up in the game, but not at camp omega. and that may have been the intention anyway

Who do you guys think has the best VO in the english version of the game ? I just re-watched the emmerich ending and i think it's most definitely miller. In all of his monologues and speeches, the pain really seeps through. Emmerich himself would rate high too, because he seems so taken in to his own lies.

Who do you guys think has the best VO in the english version of the game ? I just re-watched the emmerich ending and i think it's most definitely miller. In all of his monologues and speeches, the pain really seeps through. Emmerich himself would rate high too, because he seems so taken in to his own lies.
I'd say Miller. Ocelot was a bit flat and Snake didn't talk enough to get a good feeling for his talent. Emmerich was pretty good, too. Everyone else was nothing special, although no one did a bad job imo.

Kindekuma

Banned

"He didn't lose a damn thing! This is the enemy, and he's here on his knees!"

Best line from Robin Atkin Downes in the whole game, such a good delivery.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think it still hurts that the most significant plot points to the Metal Gear universe happen outside of the game you're playing. It feels like you're playing a sub plot while the real plot rages on outside of your field of view.

Really bizarre.

SJRB

Gold Member
"He didn't lose a damn thing! This is the enemy, and he's here on his knees!"

Best line from Robin Atkin Downes in the whole game, such a good delivery.

Yup, that sequence was amazing. He was legit angry and frustrated.

Overall I enjoyed James Horan the most. Skull Face was just such a delicously evil stereotype.

Miller by a mile, it's not even close. He's one of the few things I genuinely really liked about this desiccated husk of a Metal Gear game.

Yup, that sequence was amazing. He was legit angry and frustrated.

Overall I enjoyed James Horan the most. Skull Face was just such a delicously evil stereotype.
You too have known loss.
And that loss torments you still.
You hope hatred might someday replace the pain.
But it never goes away.
It makes a man hideous.
Inside and out.
WOULDN'T YOU AGREE?

Cyborg

Is it true that also other soldiers on the base know you are not the real Big Boss? I walked passed a soldier and het told me ''Boss, no matter who you are, you are still my commander'' Or something like that.

MNC

Heh

The real Big Boss wouldn't even blurt out those corny lines.

You too have known loss.
And that loss torments you still.
You hope hatred might someday replace the pain.
But it never goes away.
It makes a man hideous.
Inside and out.
WOULDN'T YOU AGREE?

I generally started ignoring what he said when the narrative falling apart post episode 15. I mean the vocal chords parasite thing would have been amazing if kojima had introduced it with more tact and clarity but once someone said "He is going to destroy the English language!" , I emotionally checked out on the story/what game skull face was playing.

The first encounter in Afghanistan with skull face amazing though. Now I think about it, it was also a great sorta boss battle. Intense, fast paced, confusing, Scarry..all at the same time.

ekim

untitledktysd.png

dun dun dun

AniHawk

i'd go with sutherland. miller's vo sounded like a guy pretending to be mad instead of a guy who was actually seething with anger the entire time. every time he speaks, he sounds like he's out of breath and i really thought it was out of place.

ocelot works only because i could appreciate him out of context from his younger and older selves. but it's troy baker doing a take on joel from the last of us.

skull face is kinda there. huey is a real piece of shit though. i mean that in a good way. he's actually kind of convincing in proclaiming his innocence. he doesn't sound like a real person though. regardless, he might be my runner-up.

sutherland had some good stuff. as big boss, he has a more effortlessly jokey way about him. 'i gave her a light - she took the short way down' is delivered in a fair different way than a lot of venom snake's lines. it's a lot more confident and fast-paced. venom snake even has a little humor himself with 'i'm having deja vu here', which is done in a different tone (and not just because he's whispering). and as i said before, the 'plant your roots in me' scene is pretty great all around. i think the thing that ruins it is the 'we are diamond dogs' part as the music betrays the emotion of the scene.

9ftLIJh.gif

Finally completed the game after playing for a few hours everyday for the last 3 weeks. I don't know what I'm gonna do now, game's over, I didn't want it to end.

bojie1986

i'd go with sutherland. miller's vo sounded like a guy pretending to be mad instead of a guy who was actually seething with anger the entire time. every time he speaks, he sounds like he's out of breath and i really thought it was out of place.

hahaha, i am trying to figure out what is purpose of that.

SJRB

Gold Member
I know, I know. Someday we're gonna have to kill her.

When the time comes, I'll pull the trigger.

zCGSuVS.jpg

HUEHUEHUE

Johndoey

Banned
I don't have an issue with switching to a different actor than Hayter, but from the story he told of how all that shit went down they did him real dirty. Dude was series staple he deserved more respect than he got.

Haunted

I don't have an issue with switching to a different actor than Hayter, but from the story he told of how all that shit went down they did him real dirty. Dude was series staple he deserved more respect than he got.
He was replaced by bigger Hollywood talent, it happens all the time.

meanspartan

He was replaced by bigger Hollywood talent, it happens all the time.

That barely said any lines.

I think it would have been awesome if at the very end, real Big Boss was voiced by Hayter. Sure, it wouldn't have made sense that he was Sutherland in Ground Zeroes and even the beginning of Phantom Pain, but I wouldn't have cared.

Kiefer wasn't bad, but what was the point? He was hardly used. People complained about the story being too light and I think a more talkative Venom Snake / Big Boss woulda helped.

SJRB

Gold Member
And marketing. He did a great job hyping this and Silent Hills.

I'm not sure structurally misleading the target audience counts as a "great job".

He got the hype, sure. But in retrospect his trailers were outright lies.

CassSept

Ah, today at work I listened to TPP soundtrack and while it is really good (I don't think there are any standout tracks, but the atmosphere is spot on) when I got to Sins of the Father/Quiet's theme I felt so disappointed we didn't get our Big Boss descent into villainy game. It's still a tremendous game, but what could have been.

Basically, I feel the phantom pain, yeah.

Top Bottom