• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Golnei

Idk but it also applies to The Boss/Boss AI and Morpho

Everything was butterflies

Don't forget the record label Midge Ure's cover of 'The Man Who Sold The World' was released under.
dw34kJcl.jpg

I'm gonna regret getting into this... :D

Yeah, unlike the rest of GAF I don't actually think TPP is "awful". Flawed? Sure as shit! Not awful though, not by any stretch. At least TPP was consistent.

Shit no. MGS4 is the mess here. It's a flabby pail of self-hating swill that seems more concerned with hitting a check list of pander points than in saying anything even approaching worthwhile... well, not beyond how tired Kojima is of the MGS formula, at least.

Off the top of my head, the only story critical thing I can think of that was missing from TPP is a convincing lead up to Mission 46. SuperBunnyHop made a very astute point regarding how unearned that ending was.

As an aside, I wonder how many people would think TPP was incomplete if they hadn't put some of the cut content on the Blu-Ray...?
I didn't even know about this till after I unlocked all the missions. I was wondering when I was gonna go after Eli and the kids just to find out its an incomplete cutscene on my bonus disk. Never in all of my gaming years has a story disappointed me as much as phantom pain,all this waiting for "the missing link" just to get jack shit. They should have left big bosses story alone after 3.

Roni

Gold Member
I didn't even know about this till after I unlocked all the missions. I was wondering when I was gonna go after Eli and the kids just to find out its an incomplete cutscene on my bonus disk. Never in all of my gaming years has a story disappointed me as much as phantom pain,all this waiting for "the missing link" just to get jack shit. They should have left big bosses story alone after 3.

Well, I had huge expectations for games' stories at one point in my life. To the point where they warped my appreciation of the material that was actually presented. I came to realize that was a wholly unfair approach. I wasn't giving a chance to the game. Because it wasn't what I wanted, it was garbage.

Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3. All games I hated for a long time because I was so attached to my draft of the story. Then I let go, accepting the artists vision, and now I'm much more happy with my hobby.

Not trying to get too caught up in the neverbegameover stuff, but this is kind of interesting if true.

http://imgur.com/3jqKMV4

Essentially, sounds like there's more to the disarmament stuff than the one cutscene, and there's possibly code in there that tells it to roll the "Chapter 3" card before or after.

The tapes don't reflect what is happening on the screen at all lol (not arguing with you here, just saying you're right)

I have tried unsucessfully 5 times to listen to Code Talker tape uhh 4 or 5, my brain just shuts down halfway. The burger tapes are great however.

Wolbachia.

Parasite Therapy.

Hamburger.

Cyborg

Finished all SideOps :) Next mission: get all the units to 50.

I just realized you dont need to do ALL the sideops that unlock again only certain ones that unlock a new sideop.

When does the Phantom realizes he is not the real Boss? is it around the time we're playing the game or is it 10 years after while listening to the tape and when he is about to fight Snake in Outer Heaven?

heringer

When does the Phantom realizes he is not the real Boss? is it around the time we're playing the game or is it 10 years after while listening to the tape and when he is about to fight Snake in Outer Heaven?

It's not exactly clear, but definitely not 10 years later.

I think it could be shortly after he is rescued from the hospital or during the course of the game, otherwise the Paz subplot wouldn't make much sense (why would he feel guilty if he doesn't know he was the medic?).

edit: actually, thinking back it couldn't have been in the beginning otherwise the whole hypnose thing wouldn't make sense.

Haunted

It's not exactly clear, but definitely not 10 years later.

I think it could be shortly after he is rescued from the hospital or during the course of the game, otherwise the Paz subplot wouldn't make much sense (why would he feel guilty if he doesn't know he was the medic?).

edit: actually, thinking back it couldn't have been in the beginning otherwise the whole hypnose thing wouldn't make sense.
?

It's not like the medic would be the only one who could possibly feel guilty about her death. Those feelings of guilt don't have to be triggered consciously. Big Boss was on that chopper as well and couldn't prevent her from jumping.

heringer

?

It's not like the medic would be the only one who could possibly feel guilty about her death. Those feelings of guilt don't have to be triggered consciously. Big Boss was on that chopper as well and couldn't prevent her from jumping.

Yeah, I guess. It's just that in all of the discussions it was sort of established that the guilt was from medic's failure, and it makes sense, but I suppose this isn't necessarily true.

Ashura_MX

?

Except it is a fact that Big Boss gives zero fucks about his comrades, why would he care about a spy.

Golnei

Except it is a fact that Big Boss gives zero fucks about his comrades, why would he care about a spy.

That's not fair - he can care about people when the plot calls for it. If it were actually Big Boss having the hallucinations, Kojima could have just been in the mood to write him in his 'father to his men and compassionate to all living things' mode rather than in his 'what innocent meat can I shield myself with' one for the duration of the subplot. It's not like it'd be any less consistent than how some of Miller's writing was presented.

Ashura_MX

That's not fair - he can care about people when the plot calls for it. If it were actually Big Boss having the hallucinations, Kojima could have just been in the mood to write him in his 'father to his men and compassionate to all living things' mode rather than in his 'what innocent meat can I shield myself with' one for the duration of the subplot. It's not like it'd be any less consistent than how some of Miller's writing was presented.

Yours is assumption since Big Boss is not in this game, I'm not even hating here, Big Boss simply gave no fucks about The Boss, Miller, Medic, Chico, etc.

So we don't know for sure when the Phantom finds out then? and yes BB gives no fucks about anybody, that "I don't care about them" when Ocelot was telling him about his clones.
No wonder Liquid has daddy issues, he just wanted some love man.

"For sure" he learns about it right before Solid Snake ganks him. If he knew before hand only Kojima knows.

And he thinks is Big Boss because he was heavily hypnotized and "programmed" during his 9 years in an "induced" coma, right?, however his combat skills are somehow justified by the fact that he was already the best soldier the Boss had (the Boss says that) although the Phantom was a very skilled soldier "the best he the Boss had" prior to the ground Zeroes incident but he somehow was serving as a medic?
help.

Ashura_MX

Can't help you there much, if you start looking under the hood, the story falls apart, unless you make some heavy mental gymnastics or simply Velieve what is presented.

Ocelot meets Ishmael before Ahab, then comes back for Ahab, saves him from the Man on Fire, takes Ahab to the whaler and then returns to say farewell to Big Boss. In the mean time nobody notices the real big boss is out and about fucking around doing nothing. But somehow Venom "no emotions" Snake is a magnet for Mantis.

Such a lust for inner revenge or something.

heringer

But he isn't Big Boss, even if he thinks he is. So, he could have different emotional responses to the situations and memories involving Big Boss.

"For sure" he learns about it right before Solid Snake ganks him. If he knew before hand only Kojima knows.

He had to know way before 95, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Think about it. You are the Big Boss for 10 years, then you listen to a tape saying "from here on out, you are Big Boss". Would that make you smile? I would have thought "bitch, I'm running this show for 10 years, who are you to tell me now I'm Big Boss". Not to mention after the ending Venom can listen to all of the tapes, including the ones with Ocelot and real BB laying down the plan.

My best guess is the the tape scene isn't two periods of time. He has the same clothes, the whole place is exactly the same and when he turns the tape there is no fade to suggest a time slip The whole scene is from 95, but Venom is simply listening to the tape again before his final confrontation with Solid Snake. He already knew all of that, but the last 10 years flashes in his head as he listen to the tape that brings out all those memories.

And he thinks is Big Boss because he was heavily hypnotized and "programmed" during his 9 years in an "induced" coma, right?, however his combat skills are somehow justified by the fact that he was already the best soldier the Boss had (the Boss says that) although the Phantom was a very skilled soldier "the best he the Boss had" prior to the ground Zeroes incident but he somehow was serving as a medic?
help.

He wasn't necessarily a member of the medical staff. He just might be part of the elite combat units but was still brought along in the helicopter because of his medical skills. There is no way to extrapolate how he was mainly used as a soldier just because he happened to be acting as a medic at that particular time. It was an important mission for Big Boss, so the best choice to go along with the rescue helicopter naturally would be an excellent soldier who also happens to have medical skills for any eventuality.

Javier23

Banned
Not trying to get too caught up in the neverbegameover stuff, but this is kind of interesting if true.

http://imgur.com/3jqKMV4

Essentially, sounds like there's more to the disarmament stuff than the one cutscene, and there's possibly code in there that tells it to roll the "Chapter 3" card before or after.
I'm very skeptical when it comes to the various suspected MGS-related conspiracies and ruses, but I've been expecting this to be the case ever since the Chapter 3 card was found. Not that nothing would happen afterwards, but it makes a lot of sense for it to pop up after the disarmement ending. Afterwards, well... Peace.

Ashura_MX

But he isn't Big Boss, even if he thinks he is. So, he could have different emotional responses to the situations and memories involving Big Boss.

You're out of context here mate, we are agreeing Venom Snake has feelings (very limited feelings) which is why he feels guilty about Paz.

The real Big Boss does not have emotions (or at least no "negative" emotions) otherwise Mantis would attune to him too if they wanted to keep his powers consistent.

He had to know before 95, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

We don't have proof he knows/doesn't know before 95, and we could argue all day about if making sense or not, the smile in the mirror is up for interpretation too, since we don't know what is going in Venom Snake's head (because technically its our head) and then it becomes a mess.

Crypt

So we don't know for sure when the Phantom finds out then? and yes BB gives no fucks about anybody, that "I don't care about them" when Ocelot was telling him about his clones.
No wonder Liquid has daddy issues, he just wanted some love man.

Why should he care about them? They're not his kids. It'd be like everyone expecting you to have some connection if you were to donate to a sperm bank.

He wasn't necessarily a member of the medical staff. He just might be part of the elite combat units but was still brought along in the helicopter because of his medical skills. There is no way to extrapolate how he was mainly used as a soldier just because he happened to be acting as a medic at that particular time. It was an important mission for Big Boss, so the best choice to go along with the rescue helicopter naturally would be an excellent soldier who also happens to have medical skills for any eventuality.

That's a good angle, I can roll with it.

Why should he care about them? They're not his kids. It'd be like everyone expecting you to have some connection if you were to donate to a sperm bank.

It's not that, I didn't expect the Boss to say he loves his clones, but those lines were delivered as if he doesn't even care if they die, The Boss doesn't really care for any living person, it's not like he hates everyone but more like he'll sacrifice anybody even if it is a long time friend and comrade in order to achieve his goals. he just doesn't give a fuck about anybody and that might be where his evilness ultimately resides.

heringer

The real Big Boss does not have emotions (or at least no "negative" emotions) otherwise Mantis would attune to him too if they wanted to keep his powers consistent.

But we do have enough evidence. He (or "we", as Venom) can listen to the tapes revealing the truth after the ending.

Also, Kaz clearly knew way before 95, since in his dialog with Ocelot he claims he will play his part until the sons of Big Boss grow. Considering Kaz also didn't know the truth from the beginning, I see no reason why he would learn that but Venom wouldn't.

Besides, the smile isn't the evidence I was suggesting. The point is that when Big Boss recorded that tape he said "from here on out, you are Big Boss". Why would he say "from here on out" 10 years later? Venom is already Big Boss for 10 years. It doesn't make sense.

I think it's evidence enough, to be honest.

backlot

But we do have enough evidence. He (or "we", as Venom) can listen to the tapes revealing the truth after the ending.

Also, Kaz clearly knew way before 95, since in his dialog with Ocelot he claims he will play his part until the sons of Big Boss grow. Considering Kaz also didn't know the truth from the beginning, I see no reason why he would learn that but Venom wouldn't.

Besides, the smile isn't the evidence I was suggesting. The point is that when Big Boss recorded that tape he said "from here on out, you are Big Boss". Why would he say "from here on out" 10 years later? Venom is already Big Boss for 10 years. It doesn't make sense.

I think it's evidence enough, to be honest.

How do we know that Kaz didn't know the truth since the beginning?

heringer

How do we know that Kaz didn't know the truth since the beginning?

From his final dialogue with Ocelot. He is clearly pissed for being left out.

Ocelot is revealing the truth to him while saying the real Big Boss is working separately from them, so we can at least place with certainty that it was at some time after Cyprus, 9 years after they planned the whole thing (it was planned right after the end of GZ).

Kalamoj

After finishing the game and thinking a bit about the story I have to say I like it pretty much.
The pacing is awful no doubt, but I loved how Big Boss turned 'evil' at the end.
With his own Skull Face and all.

I only missed the real MGS bossfights.

Auctopus

Took a break for about a month and met by...

- press x 14 times to get to the menu.
- you've been invaded 10 times whilst you've been away.
- your morale is way down.
- you're magically in the red, financially.

Yeah, I think this is getting traded in. What a shame this shit mires this game.

brau

Yeah, I think this is getting traded in. What a shame this shit mires this game.

But it has fantastic gameplay!

are you currently online and still in the red?

if you're offline, could be that your expenses pushed your offline gmp negative but you're online gmp is still where most your gmp is

either that or you left your Security Settings on High but not enough GMP to cover the expense for each invasion

Just finished the main plot, though haven't got rid of Quiet yet because fuck that I want easy base clearing until I've got everything else thanks

Thoughts: Best gameplay (I was goddamned addicted there for a bit, christ), story was decent but could've been improved by better pacing (an obvious advantage of the linear games). Although it wasn't insane enough. I want my Metal Gear utterly ridiculous pls. This was only somewhat ridiculous. Lack of theme and Hayter Snake were also expected disappointments. The score in general was pretty lacking to be honest.

But you know what? I don't give a shit because holy fuck I had so much fun with that. The last time I was this invested in a game was Dark Souls.

Oh also the end was made way goofier by me making my original Phantom Snake a guy who looked like CM Punk and was called Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

SJRB

Gold Member

You forgot the scolding you get from Ocelot after you haven't played for 5 days or more.

"You should visit more often", well fuck you motherfucker.

Auctopus

are you currently online and still in the red?

if you're offline, could be that your expenses pushed your offline gmp negative but you're online gmp is still where most your gmp is

either that or you left your Security Settings on High but not enough GMP to cover the expense for each invasion

I'll check this next time but that basically means I choose between no money or no staff.

Thankfully this seems to be solved, its down to the single confirmation for server connection.

Did you end up finishing the game? No love for MGO?

MGO isn't the same as before. Not as quirky, feels a little lightweight and bland.

You forgot the scolding you get from Ocelot after you haven't played for 5 days or more.

"You should visit more often", well fuck you motherfucker.

Yep, got two "automatic" trips back to Mother Base in a row.

I'll check this next time but that basically means I choose between no money or no staff.
Invasions have dramatically decreased for me, for what it's worth. Also, as active players increase in Espionage rating and also their bases grow in PF Rank, inactive or low (or null) rank players will appear less as 'Random Targets'... I also never see low Espionage rating targets appear anymore, and I can't remember the last time I got a E rank target to choose to Invade. I haven't been Invaded a single time since MGO went live, too, except for two nights ago (after I went on a large invasion binge) and I had 2 invasions the next day (but none yesterday or so far this morning. So... if it was the Security Costs (you'd have got hit 10x)... you'll probably be a lot safer now and won't have to choose.

SJRB

Gold Member
The Phantom Pain novelization just released today!!!

Who's going to read it?

Absolutely not. I don't want to read anything regarding this garbage story ever again.

On the bright side, this novel is probably like 20 pages long, unless they throw in all filler missions as actual story.

Ratrat

Absolutely not. I don't want to read anything regarding this garbage story ever again.

On the bright side, this novel is probably like 20 pages long, unless they throw in all filler missions as actual story.
Its 600 pages. Which would probably be 400+ in English. Have any of these ever been translated?

I have no idea how such a thin story could take so many pages to tell. But I actually think the games execution is worse than the overall plot idea. PP had potential.

Golnei

Is TPP getting an audio drama? Peace Walker's one had some interesting plot developments.

except maybe that Quiet
's death is confirmed: she immolates herself after the events of Episode 45.

Does it confirm that
she dies after that, or does she just get implanted with another strain of parasite that requires her to wear even less
?

Xiraiya

Reading about Moby Dick and the controversy around the fact it initially had a missing epilogue and several bizarre grammar and pacing issues and anomalies throughout that were argued to be possibly stylistic is starting to sound way too familiar, along with later censorship of certain overtly sexual parts of the story.

I'm not sure why he went this far, or if the parallels will stop here, but either way I'm truly fascinated by how similar it sounds to what we're dealing with today.

Mat-triX

So...why does Quiet go from shoulder-length hair to long hair (in a pony tail) in two weeks?

A benefit of the parasites? (hence why Code talker has long hair) I guess Skull face didn't get the luxury.

Golnei

So...why does Quiet go from shoulder-length hair to long hair (in a pony tail) in two weeks?

A benefit of the parasites? (hence why Code talker has long hair) I guess Skull face didn't get the luxury.

I never thought that one mod would end up meshing so well with the lore...

The gap between the hospital and Quiet's reappearance is really jarring in a few ways. To have completely changed her MO/area of specialisation and completed a full round of life-saving parasite therapy (including growing back a full head of hair that presumably burnt off) in a few weeks might not be impossible in-universe, but it does seem to be compressed a little too much (even moreso since she had apparently been operating in Afghanistan for a while before Venom showed up - when is the earliest possible time you can hear the "naked woman" conversation between guards, by the way?), almost as if the original plan were to have a greater length of time between it and the prologue.

Ratrat

Reading about Moby Dick and the controversy around the fact it initially had a missing epilogue and several bizarre grammar and pacing issues and anomalies throughout that were argued to be possibly stylistic is starting to sound way too familiar, along with later censorship of certain overtly sexual parts of the story.

I'm not sure why he went this far, or if the parallels will stop here, but either way I'm truly fascinated by how similar it sounds to what we're dealing with today.
Amazing.

Top Bottom