• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

aly

The Phantom Pain novelization just released today!!!

Who's going to read it?
MNoYdTO.jpg

Been reading some translations and just lol at 2 things:

1. Quiet setting herself on fire.

2. Mantis, entire backstory retconned.

Ashura_MX

Huey's speech before his trial was pretty good until the fucker started hating on ddog of all things.
Edit: Kojima should have shipped chapter one and subsequent chapters as DLC, the engine ia there, and the scripting.

Oh well it is what it is.

In other news Mission 43 didn't need the "terror", its not even scary. The best part is the last room.

heringer

So...why does Quiet go from shoulder-length hair to long hair (in a pony tail) in two weeks?

A benefit of the parasites? (hence why Code talker has long hair) I guess Skull face didn't get the luxury.

Two weeks? It takes a while to find her in Afghanistan. The game doesn't really show time passing. It's just implied. For instance, one day DDog is a puppy and then you finish a mission and bang, he is a full grown wolf dog.

ODDI

OKAY just finished mission 46 (the true ending) and I must say that has soften the ch2 blow very much so much so I even forget how bad it was, loved how everything was played in the end tho it makes me wonder
what happens to this fake boss (me) in the future?

OKAY just finished mission 46 (the true ending) and I must say that has soften the ch2 blow very much so much so I even forget how bad it was, loved how everything was played in the end tho it makes me wonder
what happens to this fake boss (me) in the future?

Have you played Metal Gear 1 & 2? (Not Metal Gear Solid)

'You', aka Venom Snake, are killed by Solid Snake during Operation Intrude N313 in 1995, the briefing for which is on the tape Venom is listening to at the end of MGSV. The 'real' Big Boss is then killed by Solid Snake during the Zanzibar Land Disturbance in 1999.

Erigu

2. Mantis, entire backstory retconned.
There already were quite a few retcons in the two previous novels (based on Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty).

YOU GOTTA SEE THIS WTF.
Guess that was Zero's idea...
(I was wondering where the "Furicorn" came from, but it makes more sense that the statue left Venom Snake such an impression, now)

Golnei

Apparently the Ground Zeroes ponchos don't cause much in the way of animation bugs when swapped, unlike Ocelot's coat.

Now someone just needs to find a way to combine it with The Boss' suit.

It's The Boss..

I'm not exactly sure where building a giant statue of The Boss right in front of it fit into the plan to hide Cipher's connection to the hospital.

Have any of these ever been translated?
At the moment, MGS4: Guns of the Patriots remains the single novelization from Project Itoh that has reached Western shores. Snake Eater, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes haven't managed to overcome the language barrier for whatever reason. I know author Raymond Benson hammered out adaptations of MGS and MGS2: Sons of Liberty in the late 2000s, thus, completing Solid Snake's story-arc in the printed medium.

What is that ugly thing? You can have different dogs?
If you're into modding, you'll be able to swap out D-Dog with a number of different models within the game. It's actually an interesting idea considering the Rhodesian Ridgeback was clearly going to have a large role based on its prominence in the external demos and concept art. Diamond Dogs would've had an appropriate breed to match their emblem. Their absence in the final product has been really strange since they were clearly animated in the Ground Zeroes opening scene and data-mined sound bites hinted they were going to be encountered on the battlefield, presumably similar to the hounds seen in MGS3: Snake Eater.

Toparaman

Banned
I need a place to empty my thoughts, so here goes:

Finally finished MGSV's main story. I loved the game for the first 30-50 hours, but then it just kept going on and on...and now I feel super conflicted on it. I think my final time is something like 80-90 hours. I barely did any optional stuff, but didn't rush through the game either, and generally played slow and stealthily. This game took up most of my free time for almost two months.

There's so much that MGSV does incredibly, but then you're confronted with the pacing and the (admittedly expected from Kojima) horrible writing. What a weird, fascinating, frustrating game. And the journey isn't even over yet, because I still have the documentary from the Collector's Edition to watch.

The trailers were so misleading. "Big Boss" never becomes any more of a "demon" than he was in previous games. The tone in the trailers was so much more dramatic than what we experience in the game. And, by the nature of the trailers being 99% cutscenes, I assumed that it was a mere sampling of the number of cutscenes we would get in-game, not a sampling of nearly every single cutscene in the game.

The game, as incredible as it is at times, just does not justify the time investment. It should have been half as long.

SJRB

Gold Member
I need a place to empty my thoughts, so here goes:

Finally finished MGSV's main story. I loved the game for the first 30-50 hours, but then it just kept going on and on...and now I feel super conflicted on it. I think my final time is something like 80-90 hours. I barely did any optional stuff, but didn't rush through the game either, and generally played slow and stealthily. This game took up most of my free time for almost two months.

There's so much that MGSV does incredibly, but then you're confronted with the pacing and the (admittedly expected from Kojima) horrible writing. What a weird, fascinating, frustrating game. And the journey isn't even over yet, because I still have the documentary from the Collector's Edition to watch.

The trailers were so misleading. "Big Boss" never becomes any more of a "demon" than he was in previous games. The tone in the trailers was so much more dramatic than what we experience in the game. And, by the nature of the trailers being 99% cutscenes, I assumed that it was a mere sampling of the number of cutscenes we would get in-game, not a sampling of nearly every single cutscene in the game.

The game, as incredible as it is at times, just does not justify the time investment. It should have been half as long.

Agreed on all fronts.

Also - there is no documentary, the Blu-Ray is a dud. But go ahead and watch the Blu-Ray, it'll blow your mind [in a not so positive way, I feel].

Haunted

The statue is a cool little easter egg that doesn't make sense in the in-game world. But easter eggs rarely do, and they don't have to, either.

Golnei

The statue is a cool little easter egg that doesn't make sense in the in-game world. But easter eggs rarely do, and they don't have to, either.

It stretches credibility, but I wouldn't say it's completely impossible - The Boss might have gone down in history as a war criminal, but her existence wasn't that well-known to the general public. Using her face on a statue which nominally could have been an abstract representation of some cardinal virtue or mythological figure might not have been immediately obvious to anyone outside of Zero's inner circle, the only ones who knew of the hospital's connection to Cipher.

Golnei

Can you clarify? I mean, it's the spoiler thread after all.

In Mantis' case, the retcon in question is that instead of his mother dying in childbirth, leading to years of resentment from his father which were amplified by his growing powers and indirectly led to him burning down his village; both of his parents survive, but they consider him an inhuman monster because he has the ability to speak directly to people's minds. Instead of burning his village down, he's forcibly recruited by the KGB, who essentially buy him from his parents.

Though I'm not sure if you could consider anything in the novelisation much of a retcon - considering it invents entirely new characters and changes the depiction of events in TPP itself, it's more like an alternate interpretation.

Ratrat

Though I'm not sure if you could consider anything in the novelisation much of a retcon - considering it invents entirely new characters and changes the depiction of events in TPP itself, it's more like an alternate interpretation.
This. The author is forced to invent a lot of material and characters to create something readable. This would apply to PP much more than the other games.

SJRB

Gold Member

What the.. So it's an elaborate fan-fic or something?

What is even the point then?

Ashura_MX

Done with M43, well damn, it can go any way at this point, showing bloody demon snake can mean he listens to the tape after M41 or in 1995.

Its all kinds of fucked up, I'm ok with most of it now.

I would have liked to play all gamr as "me" instead of BB tho, with the reveal at the beginning and a rape scene with VS and SS after breaking the mirror.

#NeverBeGameOver

Golnei

I would have liked to play all gamr as "me" instead of BB tho, with the reveal at the beginning and a rape scene with VS and SS after breaking the mirror.

#NeverBeGameOver

I know it's a lost cause, but I would have preferred less erotic violence in MGSV, not more.

Why the fuck did they make you replay the prologue again for the last mission? There was nothing changed and nothing gained from doing it. They could have just shown the two changes post wake up and cut to the car crash.

Disgraced

I got to thinkin' and y'know what, somebody should just let Swery make Spy Fiction 2 and we can all pretend that's our new MG game.

Disgraced

I'm too tired pretending MGSV is a new MG game.
/: Aw c'mon, that's not what I meant. It's flawed, even jacked in more than a few places, but it's a MG game. I don't see how it doesn't fit in the series.

What I meant by that is seeing how Koo-Koo For Ko-Ko Puffs is surely producing Metal Gear Downpour: Erotic Violence as we speak it'd be nice to have an... alternative placeholder. Should've quoted what I'm essentially responding to.
If there's an Eastern VG 'auteur' besides Kojima and Miyazaki who could weave a functional ludonarrative with MG's signature blend of ridiculousness and seriousness I'd nom' Swery. And I mean I bet if you asked him he'd totally be down for Spy Fiction rebooted. Just don't give him the budget Kojima had to blow and make sure he's got a decent team. Even if the game's jank as fuck I can guarantee it'll still be weird enough to be entertaining.

Ratrat

At the moment, MGS4: Guns of the Patriots remains the single novelization from Project Itoh that has reached Western shores. Snake Eater, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes haven't managed to overcome the language barrier for whatever reason. I know author Raymond Benson hammered out adaptations of MGS and MGS2: Sons of Liberty in the late 2000s, thus, completing Solid Snake's story-arc in the printed medium.
Well, the English novels were not well recieved if I remember correctly, the new MGS1&2 may be improvements.
Somewhat off topic, but Project Itohs own original novels were translated to english by Alexander O. Smith. Definitely worth reading.

Haunted

Why the fuck did they make you replay the prologue again for the last mission? There was nothing changed and nothing gained from doing it. They could have just shown the two changes post wake up and cut to the car crash.
They clearly had plans for that final mission. I assume they ran out of time/budget and didn't manage to do anything more than dumping the prologue in there again with the small change at the beginning and the cutscene triggering at the end.

Probably the biggest missed opportunity in the whole game. They had the chance to go out with a bang and they botched it.

Cyborg

I hate the fact that it needs to end like this. Such great series (best in the gaming, my opinion) and such an shity end.

Ratrat

They clearly had plans for that final mission. I assume they ran out of time/budget and didn't manage to do anything more than dumping the prologue in there again with the small change at the beginning and the cutscene triggering at the end.

Probably the biggest missed opportunity in the whole game. They had the chance to go out with a bang and they botched it.
They should have let you play as Big Boss(cqc fight with Quiet) and ended with with him partying with Ocelot while making fun of Venoms passport photo.
From what I've read, they definitely are.
I'll have to check them out some day.

Ashura_MX

Kaz does learn about big medic during the TPP, its up for interpretation after which mission, unless I missed something.
Still have to listen to the truth tape.

Done with doublethink, well I'll be damned.

Ocelot: we're gonna let all these people die.
Boss: Sure, I'm counting on you.

Roni

Gold Member
Kaz does learn about big medic during the TPP, its up for interpretation after which mission, unless I missed something.

Like I said before, Ground Zeroes tipped him over the edge. Big Boss is no longer a hero in this game.

That's not to say he's Hitler or Vader. He just cares a lot more about himself and his goals now.

SJRB

Gold Member

Big Boss is totally cool with an entire hospital full of innocent people getting executed, basically for the lulz.

What a dickhead.

Ashura_MX

Like I said before, Ground Zeroes tipped him over the edge. Big Boss is no longer a hero in this game.

That's not to say he's Hitler or Vader. He just cares a lot more about himself and his goals now.

None of his fucks for anyone, except maaaybe Ocelot (assumption).

Truth tapes, the phantom marketing; not okay with "me" becoming BB bitchmade punk, but at least TPP arc makes more sense now, too bad its all in one fucking tape at the very end.

Turnstyle

So, I'm 30 hours in and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I probably shouldn't be in the spoiler thread yet, but I feel like I've read most of the major plot points, so can't be spoiled on much now.

I'm up to mission 28. I've seen that there are about 50 missions, but some of them later on seem to be repeats of earlier ones, with more stringent requirements. Do you need to play these to get the ending? I'm totally confused about how much more core game I have to play!

SJRB

Gold Member
So, I'm 30 hours in and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I probably shouldn't be in the spoiler thread yet, but I feel like I've read most of the major plot points, so can't be spoiled on much now.

I'm up to mission 28. I've seen that there are about 50 missions, but some of them later on seem to be repeats of earlier ones, with more stringent requirements. Do you need to play these to get the ending? I'm totally confused about how much more core game I have to play!

You'll feel like you barely scratched the surface and then the game is over. There are nowhere near 50 missions.

Best strategy is just to keep playing and avoid this thread. Pay attention to yellow-marked missions, side-ops and tapes as they're mandatory for progressing the story.

Haunted

You've got around ~11 main missions and ~6 yellow sideops left to finish the game's story.

You don't need to play any of the repeats.

Heh... game still gives some surprises even though I've seen now almost everything.

Just got a little new cutscence in which DD was jumping on V because he was gone so long (I guess it's because I haven't played the game in over a week?).

I think Kojima did a good job of fitting MG and MG1 into the MGS storyline...all this time I just thought Big Boss survived MG1 somehow...but it wasn't like that at all - it turns out Solid Snake killed the fake Big Boss (Venom 'Punished' Snake) and then killed the real Big Boss in MG2, only for them two to reunite in MGS4 because you know - skin/body part transplants and nanomachines of course.

Which leads me to this question - is Kojima such a mastermind that he actually planned all of the story even when Metal Gear first came out?

We will never know...or will we?

SJRB

Gold Member
Heh... game still gives some surprises even though I've seen now almost everything.

Just got a little new cutscence in which DD was jumping on V because he was gone so long (I guess it's because I haven't played the game in over a week?).

You get a cutscene if you haven't played for 5 days or more. The type of cutscene depends on your point in the story (or better, what DD's age is).

Roni

Gold Member
Which leads me to this question - is Kojima such a mastermind that he actually planned all of the story even when Metal Gear first came out?

We will never know...or will we?

The man isn't dead, he may still spill his thoughts one day.

I'm willing to bet the overarching narrative was created "somewhen" in between 1995-1999. Around MGS' creation.

Top Bottom