• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Alienous

Nah, that's not true. "Les Enfants Terribles, Zero called it" is a line from one of the very earliest tapes in the game. I think it was one of the 9 years tapes with Ocelot and Venom.

I don't remember that line.

I do remember Venom Snake saying "Les Enfants Terribles, Zayro called it", however.

NIN90

Right, it seems like it would be a smart move for Konami to contract Platinum for MGR2.

I could imagine Platinum having a loyalty to Kojima, due to him being the person who chose Platinum for MGR1, and declining to make a sequel, though.

Ehh, I don't think a studio like Platinum who basically live from contract to contract have that kind of luxury.

Nah, that's not true. "Les Enfants Terribles, Zero called it" is a line from one of the very earliest tapes in the game. I think it was one of the 9 years tapes with Ocelot and Venom.

Ah, just went back and had a listen and you're right, there's a similar line in the Truth tape, but it's not the same one.

Going back and listening to the "Les Enfants Terribles" tape made me sad again, they literally don't even mention that there is a third clone.

Dunkley

Solidus comes out of the series a fucking hero in retrospect. "Hey, you do realise your weird, goofy AI is fucked, right? We should fix that and maybe not let the machines rule the world; that's a good idea, right?" said Solidus.

But, no, stupid Jack had to go and kill him for .... I don't know? ..... reasons? Sure, Solidus killed Raiden's parents just to get an erection or something, but, still, HE TOTALLY CALLED THE INSANE AI MACHINE. You know, the one the goofy team from MGS3 built. I salute you, Solidus. You were a good man. Mostly. I tried not to kill you, but I had to. I wanted to see the ending.

Jack had to kill him because he was being blackmailed, Solidus wanted to kill Jack since he wanted to get the list of the GW members.

Both were intending to take down the same system, they just had to fight eachother because the system both played them in a way where they are forced to fight eachother.

Solidus Snake, the unsung hero of the Metal Gear saga.

2f0.gif

He was a whole different game from Liquid...

Haunted

is this yhe thread where we talk about how they story spoiled the game for us?
Well usually people complain about movie trailers spoiling all the best scenes.

I think this is one of the few times where trailers didn't just show all the best scenes, but simply all the scenes. :lol

Jack had to kill him because he was being blackmailed, Solidus wanted to kill Jack since he wanted to get the list of the GW members.

Both were intending to take down the same system, they just had to fight eachother because the system both played them in a way where they are forced to fight eachother.

Yeah, I forget. It's been so long since I played MGS2. Currently working my way through Twin Snakes, I don't care what people say about it, I really like the crazy cutscenes. The game breaking and thoughtless implementation of the MGS2 mechanics? Not so much. Still, as if we've found with MGSV, it's give and take where gameplay and story are concerned.

I'm hoping for the game that reveals that this all just took place in a mental hospital, one afternoon, during a group session where patients act out an elaborate, fantastical stage play with twists and conspiracies in order to help them with their trauma. Revolver Ocelot is a guy called Graham, who worked at Wall Street and had a breakdown. Everybody chipped until Steve went too far and ruined the elaborate mythology the group had all created. Now they just play checkers.

Well, for all we know she might eventually do something like that.

But regardless, I'm not arguing Solidus is the best person in the world, all I'm saying is that he had two katanas named Democrat and Republican, and that's pretty cool.
Obama should rock the Solidus suit.

Kojima usually spoil all his games in every trailers, that's why I just watch the reveal trailer from E3 2013... it's your own fault if you look at every one of them.
heh, I went dark soon after the reveal trailer, of course back then I thought this was going to be the most epic MGS story... How foolish I was, how I needlessly punished myself.

SJRB

Gold Member
Pretty much the epitome if "too little too late" even if it somehow is true.

"Game is much deeper than people give it credit for" is such a non-argument when there are plenty people who have 100%'ed this game and didn't unlock shit.

Thinking Kojima somehow has a master plan and we're getting tricked and more content is hidden deep, deep within the game even though all evidence suggests otherwise probably helps some people cope..

Besides, look at that "source", it's almost "my uncle is a janitor at Konami" levels of unreliable.

SJRB

Gold Member
So is there a scene after the weird code talker one where he warns Venom of Kaz?

NOPE

"The ocelot's aim is off today. Secret meeting behind containers. Don't trust Kazuhira" or whatever he says before he peaces out in his magic wheelchair. None of that is explained or referenced ever again.

Alienous

I'm glad I watched most of the trailers.

The hype and group speculation over the years has probably been, overall, more enjoyable than the game. I didn't experience a great story on the disc, but the discussions and shared ideas pre-release and even now post-release, have been worthwhile.

I'm glad I watched most of the trailers.

The hype and group speculation over the years has probably been, overall, more enjoyable than the game. I didn't experience a great story on the disc, but the discussions and shared ideas pre-release and even now post-release, have been worthwhile.

Same. I think I enjoyed the pre-release MGSV "experience" more than the actual game itself, and these spoiler threads have led to some great discussions. I think that speaks more towards the quality of the community and its propensity for exhaustive analysis than to the game itself, though.

Playing Twin Snakes, it's criminal what Kojima did to Ocelot in MGSV. It's great to see the pantomime villain hamming it up and screaming "WHAAT?", like he's been told one of the Genome Soldiers has left a shit in the urinal, when Grey Fox cuts his arm off. Also, the Solid Snake/Grey Fox first cut scene encounter in TS is wonderfully ridiculous. I love this series!

Ashura_MX

NOPE

"The ocelot's aim is off today. Secret meeting behind containers. Don't trust Kazuhira" or whatever he says before he peaces out in his magic wheelchair. None of that is explained or referenced ever again.
The chinese guy has a ? Mark next to the lock icon in the personnel managemen screens for a few sideops and you cant move him to other struts.
Then the staff starts coughing again and you can put him in BoasterVille but yeah nothing solid just a bunch of #neverbegameover

I do like the little clues that the ruse is up.

NOPE

lmao, man oh man... wtf man. I'm starting to feel like these threads are group therapy sessions where we talk about and hopefully release our pain. Why was the story so bland? Whhhhhhhyyyyyyy????!!!!!!!

A few questions:

Wasn't the medic-switch/Ishmael-being-the-real-big-boss a popular theory pre-release?

Why isn't the third clone's existence aknowledged in the timeline let alone the story?

What purpose did Venom ultimately serve? Am I right in assuming that all we know about him from MGS5 onwards is that snake kills him in MG1? Was he also the guy giving snake codec instructions or was that BB?

What's the consensus surrounding whether mission 51 will ever be playable?

In the Russian version of the game "Race" is translated as if it is an arms race or a car race ("Гонка"), not as a group of people ("Раса"). I'm pretty sure that the localization teams are aware of the context.

Yeah, the spanish translation translate that as an arms race or car race (carrera), But then, they translated a lot of things wrong ilke speaking of Dr. Clark as an actual paramedic ("Dr. clark, que era una paramedico en ese tiempo") and instead of keeping the name "Sigint" they just said "signal intelligence" ("Zero hablo con la inteligencia de señales"/"Zero spoke with the signal intelligence"). Ugh, they just fucked up the localization. Good luck I understand english.

"Game is much deeper than people give it credit for" is such a non-argument when there are plenty people who have 100%'ed this game and didn't unlock shit.

Thinking Kojima somehow has a master plan and we're getting tricked and more content is hidden deep, deep within the game even though all evidence suggests otherwise probably helps some people cope..

Besides, look at that "source", it's almost "my uncle is a janitor at Konami" levels of unreliable.

Well, I don't know if the source is that unreliable. That guy said that in The Codec podcast with YongYea and they are pretty much in constant touch with guys at Konami.

Also, you could have 100%d the game and still miss a lot of things, like secret cutscenes, or not even developing everything for Quiet. And then the FOB stuff. I mean, people has that 100% mark, and no one has unlocked the Nuke-free world sooo... I want to believe, etc.

A few questions:

Wasn't the medic-switch/Ishmael-being-the-real-big-boss a popular theory pre-release?

Why isn't the third clone's existence aknowledged in the timeline let alone the story?

What purpose did Venom ultimately serve? Am I right in assuming that all we know about him from MGS5 onwards is that snake kills him in MG1? Was he also the guy giving snake codec instructions or was that BB?

What's the consensus surrounding whether mission 51 will ever be playable?

1. Yes

2. Solidus is 2 kewl 4 canon

3. In the overall narrative he serves no purpose, he's a vestigial character. Yes. It's unclear, though likely that it was the real BB giving Solid codec support.

4. Never.

Honestly, no idea. I mean, reading between the lines you'd have to assume that Venom is the only Big Boss that Solid Snake ever knew, right? The real Big Boss was in hiding until he resurfaced at Zanzibar Land, so the Big Boss who started FOXHOUND, became Solid Snake's mentor, taught him everything he knows, has to be Venom. Which makes the real Big Boss turning up at the end of MGS4 and acting all fatherly some hot bullshit, to put it bluntly.

Ashura_MX

Has it ever actually been confirmed what the trigger for the nuke scene is supposed to be?
Nope

Honestly, no idea. I mean, reading between the lines you'd have to assume that Venom is the only Big Boss that Solid Snake ever knew, right? The real Big Boss was in hiding until he resurfaced at Zanzibar Land, so the Big Boss who started FOXHOUND, became Solid Snake's mentor, taught him everything he knows, has to be Venom. Which makes the real Big Boss turning up at the end of MGS4 and acting all fatherly some hot bullshit, to put it bluntly.
There's two BB in the universe now, Big Medic who runs outer heaven, and big Boss is foxhound + zanzibar

1. Why isn't the third clone's existence aknowledged in the timeline let alone the story?

2. What purpose did Venom ultimately serve? Am I right in assuming that all we know about him from MGS5 onwards is that snake kills him in MG1? Was he also the guy giving snake codec instructions or was that BB?

3. What's the consensus surrounding whether mission 51 will ever be playable?

1. Because that means MGS2 was a VR Mission confirmed. Soldius doesn't exist. MGS4 was an Old Man's delusions.

2. Venom is us getting fucked over by Big Boss, the way BB himself was fucked over by The Boss. It represents his ultimate transition to evil, become the very thing he was fightimg against.

3. No.

Has it ever actually been confirmed what the trigger for the nuke scene is supposed to be?
It hasn't been cofirmed, but at the end of it there is a credits screen with online usernames.

Big Boss is the one who sent Solid Snake in MG1 but the one Solid kills is Venom. I think the whole idea for Venom was that he'll keep the heat away from Big Boss while Big Boss goes on to make his Nation a.k.a. Zanzibarland. Also I don't think Venom making Outer Heaven was planned, he did make it because in the end he does share Big Boss's ideologies and him making Outer Heaven in the end was eventually how it would've ended up.

So here's something, who saved Sniper Wolf? Venom or Big Boss? I'm betting it was Venom.

Darkangel

Anyone get the feeling that Kojima hates Solidus? He hasn't really been mentioned since MGS2, and his "appearance" in MGS4 was kind of like a final fuck you to the character.

I was hoping we would get a little blurb or maybe even a cameo in MGSV, but no.

Nope

There's two BB in the universe now, Big Medic who runs outer heaven, and big Boss is foxhound + zanzibar

Yeah, he needed the double to take his place while he went back to Fox Hound. Which still doesn't make sense, because the world would have known Big Boss as the guy running a military nation from an oil rig off the coast of Africa, so how did he end up back at Fox Hound giving orders? Did Diamond Dogs become Outer Heaven, or did Venom leave for the Outer Heaven Big Boss was building? If he left, then what happened to Diamond Dogs? And if Diamond Dogs became Outer Heaven, How did Big Boss go back to Fox Hound as Big Boss?

Basically, MGSV does nothing to clear up anything as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand why the game gets all pissy with me when I throw a soldier overboard at Mother Base. A man needs to rule by fear and respect, but mostly by fear. Fine, I can beat my soldiers half to death with CQC, but the game draws a line when I throw them into the sea? No, that's not right. Big Medic is a whole new ball game. If you don't perform, into the sea you go.

MechaX

Given that real Big Boss sends the Operation Intrude tape to Venom, I would say that the Big Boss over at FOXHOUND is the real Big Boss. I don't remember how the ending credits phrased it, but it seems like Big Boss deliberately sent Solid to kill Venom after Gray Fox fucked up (and I guess there's the other issue on how we don't even know if Venom actually knows who Gray Fox is). Yeah, it's stupid, but it makes marginally more sense than Venom going to lead FOXHOUND and Outer Heaven at the same time.

Big Boss is the one who sent Solid Snake in MG1 but the one Solid kills is Venom. I think the whole idea for Venom was that he'll keep the heat away from Big Boss while Big Boss goes on to make his Nation a.k.a. Zanzibarland. Also I don't think Venom making Outer Heaven was planned, he did make it because in the end he does share Big Boss's ideologies and him making Outer Heaven in the end was eventually how it would've ended up.

So here's something, who saved Sniper Wolf? Venom or Big Boss? I'm betting it was Venom.

That doesn't make any kind of sense, though. How can there be two guys in the world, both calling themselves Big Boss, both with identical faces (apart from a horn here or there), both running enormous private armies and eventually starting their own countries? We're lead to believe that nobody knew there were two Big Bosses. Nobody in the world except Kaz, Ocelot and the real Big Boss; not even Venom until that cassette tape moments before he's beaten to death by Snake.

If OG Big Boss is the one who mentored Solid Snake, wouldn't Snake have noticed something was amiss when he gets to the final bossfight of MGS1 and meets Venom with his horn, bionic arm and mute but cheery disposition?

That doesn't make any kind of sense, though. How can there be two guys in the world, both calling themselves Big Boss, both with identical faces (apart from a horn here or there), both running enormous private armies and eventually starting their own countries? We're lead to believe that nobody knew there were two Big Bosses. Nobody in the world except Kaz, Ocelot and the real Big Boss; not even Venom until that cassette tape moments before he's beaten to death by Snake.

If OG Big Boss is the one who mentored Solid Snake, wouldn't Snake have noticed something was amiss when he gets to the final bossfight of MGS1 and meets Venom with his horn, bionic arm and mute but cheery disposition?

Hell, at the end of MGS4, Big Boss himself didn't even know there were two of him! ;)

Azzanadra

Anyone get the feeling that Kojima hates Solidus? He hasn't really been mentioned since MGS2, and his "appearance" in MGS4 was kind of like a final fuck you to the character.

I was hoping we would get a little blurb or maybe even a cameo in MGSV, but no.

I have gotten that feeling, which is a shame because Solidus was oen of the best written characters in the saga.

Ashura_MX

Yeah, he needed the double to take his place while he went back to Fox Hound. Which still doesn't make sense, because the world would have known Big Boss as the guy running a military nation from an oil rig off the coast of Africa, so how did he end up back at Fox Hound giving orders? Did Diamond Dogs become Outer Heaven, or did Venom leave for the Outer Heaven Big Boss was building? If he left, then what happened to Diamond Dogs? And if Diamond Dogs became Outer Heaven, How did Big Boss go back to Fox Hound as Big Boss?

Basically, MGSV does nothing to clear up anything as far as I'm concerned.

Lots of things fall apart if you dont swallow the ruse pill.
Big Boss does not build Outer Heaven (the first one), Venom builds it (supposedly) either using Diamond Dogs or making it new. Someone pointed out the Seychelles stopped hiring mercenaries at some point (199?) This is an actual fact and matches with the creation of outer heaven in MG timeline.
Venom building Outer Heaven holds water somehow, your other questions have no answer without the ruse pill, other than... In MG universe the US likes to hire shady fucks for their most covert ops and with access to the nation secrets

Top Bottom