• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

This game kind of shines as a stealth game, playing it as an action shooter wouldn't really be doing it justice. If you plan to treat it as a relatively tactical shooter it would be fun though!

Maybe just my opinion though!

I think it would be perfectly fine if you start mission stealthy and then go full actionpacked shooter in this game. You have sooo much awesome stuff at your disposal.

Sotha_Sil

Just got to Africa. Holy crap, does the game's difficulty jump straight up? Infiltrating that first facility without being spotted was much more difficult than anything in Afghanistan, and the enemies seemed to swarm and chase me down much better.

edit... Mother Base seems like a massive waste of KojiPro's time. And I hate having to go through this extended sequence to get deployed anywhere.

Phionoxx

Don't ask. Just try and attack my level 38 security with all the devices mwahaha.

I wanna know too though. One person has made it through me since all the upgrades while I wasn't there to defend. I wish you could watch a replay of it.

If people are fast enough and willing to use lethal weapons (even though it adversely impacts your heroism score) when invading you, even high end security teams and defenses won't hold up so long as they can avoid a combat alert and just run to the objective. But typically I've found if people move too slow or try to extract too many resources, you're security team will come through given enough time.

For my invasions I've done so far in retaliations I've stuck with using non lethal weapons which seems to make it more challenging. You have to Fulton people out at that point in order to actually mitigate the risk of them being woken up by another guard. I don't understand why you would set your own security team to use non lethal weapons though - doesn't the invader wake up pretty quick if they get tranq'd?

Quiet is a beast, holy crap! I was making my way around Africa, sending her in to scout outposts before I got there so I'd have everyone marked and ready to analyse to see who was coming home with me. I must have accidentally selected 'Quiet (Attack)' on one of them, though, because before I'd even got halfway there all of a sudden it was "OUTPOST CAPTURED". Like, leave me some dudes, lady.

Now I've just started research on her silenced tranq rifle, so it's basically all over for Cipher and the entire USSR at this point. The only problem is that it's going to take 1 hour and 12 minutes to complete, so I suppose those glorious days of 18 minute timers are officially over.

If people are fast enough and willing to use lethal weapons (even though it adversely impacts your heroism score) when invading you, even high end security teams and defenses won't hold up so long as they can avoid a combat alert and just run to the objective.

For my invasions I've done so far in retaliations I've stuck with using non lethal weapons which seems to make it more challenging. You have to Fulton people out at that point in order to actually mitigate the risk of them being woken up by another guwrd.

Perhaps a stupid question but if someone decides to go full Rambo on my base do I actually lose those soldiers? Are they actually killed?

Hello wonder if even if I have a amazing security rating if slowly over a few weeks people can pick my guys off one by one? If I go on a two week holiday and don't touch the game could I come back to find a empty base?

Is there any way to tell them game to pause fob stuff? Both the rewards and risks? Is it possible to just have a empty fob? Meaning people can get all my online resources easily but not take my soldiers?

Hasney

If people are fast enough and willing to use lethal weapons (even though it adversely impacts your heroism score) when invading you, even high end security teams and defenses won't hold up so long as they can avoid a combat alert and just run to the objective.

For my invasions I've done so far in retaliations I've stuck with using non lethal weapons which seems to make it more challenging. You have to Fulton people out at that point in order to actually mitigate the risk of them being woken up by another guwrd.

I've watched a couple of people while I held back on defense and I have seen that strategy. Since I got the 4* battle dress and all my guys have it (plus a lot of A-A+ guys with the tough guy trait), it seems that only shotguns are really effective unless you have stupid headshot accuracy and now I have so many guys they just swarm them if they try getting in that close.

I do the same as you using a soldier with the Gunman trait for longer reflex, or the one that has quicker aiming that I forget the name of with a tranq sniper and it does OK, get a lot of fultons at least. Gonna try training on my own base tonight. Forgot you could do that.

WX3

Ecrv6hcl.jpg

Did a quick painting because I'm enjoying the game so much. :D
I would hang this on a wall in my home! Very nice!

Ultratech

I think it would be perfectly fine if you start mission stealthy and then go full actionpacked shooter in this game. You have sooo much awesome stuff at your disposal.

More often than not, this is how most of my missions go.
I start out all stealth-like, taking down guards and interrogating them and whatnot.

But somewhere down the line, I end up getting seen and everything blows up into a firefight.
(At which point it usually isn't too bad, since most of the place has been neutralized/fultoned).

Hilariously enough, I had one mission devolve into a shootout very quickly and somehow ended up finishing the mission with an A rank (which surprised the hell out of me since I usually end up with Bs).

Grief.exe

Just got to Africa. Holy crap, does the game's difficulty jump straight up? Infiltrating that first facility without being spotted was much more difficult than anything in Afghanistan, and the enemies seemed to swarm and chase me down much better.

edit... Mother Base seems like a massive waste of KojiPro's time. And I hate having to go through this extended sequence to get deployed anywhere.

I think it's assumed by that point you are getting used to the games mechanics and are capable of using all of your tools at your disposal.

I slowly worked my way through the base, using knocks, magazines, and D-Dog's bark to lure soldiers into better positions. Smoke grenades and Decoy units used when necessary, even ordered a supply drop on an overwatch postion to neutrilize him while I used the fulton to extract certain enemies.

One easy path I noticed was sneak around the left side, then jump down. You can easily pick the lock on the reverse side of the door to plant C4 on the tank. After that, you can crawl across to the other side, then disable the pump manually.

Phionoxx

Perhaps a stupid question but if someone decides to go full Rambo on my base do I actually lose those soldiers? Are they actually killed?

Hello wonder if even if I have a amazing security rating if slowly over a few weeks people can pick my guys off one by one? If I go on a two week holiday and don't touch the game could I come back to find a empty base?

Is there any way to tell them game to pause fob stuff? Both the rewards and risks? Is it possible to just have a empty fob? Meaning people can get all my online resources easily but not take my soldiers?

If someone goes full Rambo on your FOB, yes those Soldiers and staff are lost. It is possible to be attacked even though you aren't online at the time, meaning you have no chance to join the effort and help your security team. As far as I know on consoles there is no way to avoid staffing a FOB once you build one. On PC you could block the game from getting online through a firewall, at the cost of the daily logins.

What I've done is opted to support a bunch of random people with larger FOBs, and in return some have supported me too. Ups the odds that if you get invaded, someone might be around to take the time to help your FOB defend itself. Plus its a great way to make GMP if you successfully help people defend. For example one defense I helped win netted approx. 800K GMP!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That (Mission 24-28 spoilers)
Quarantine, I've basically ignored putting staff into it because I have no clue how you figure out which ones are sick
, do I have to go through every staff member? Even Miller/Ocelot were like "well we dunno
how to figure out which ones are sick
as it is, I'm rushing through these missions so once I'm done:
Does this mean I can ignore it and further people won't get sick because it'll be cured?
? People said that bit is done by mission 28, but I dunno if that's the true end point?

Mupod

Wow wtf I thought I could safely ignore this FOB stuff but I just went online to get the daily bonus and it forced me to build one. But more surprising is the massive staff capacity upgrade I got from doing so.

Is it true that I don't have to worry about invasions if I never do the invasion tutorial? I'd like to at least get it somewhat upgraded but in order to build platforms you need to go back online.

Looking at how much of a capacity increase I got just from building a new one, I wonder if it's even possible to max out your development without this shit. I thought I just had to grind harder for better soldiers. I mean I'm not the kind of person who shies away from PVP in video games but the online on PC can't even stay connected for 5 fucking minutes and it ruins my loadtimes - but if I don't want to MASSIVELY gimp myself I have to do this stuff. Let's not even talk about what you get for spending real money on the game. Just gross all around and I hope someone makes a mod to use these features offline.

Quarantine, I've basically ignored putting staff into it because I have no clue how you figure out which ones are sick
, do I have to go through every staff member? Even Miller/Ocelot were like "well we dunno
Does this mean I can ignore it and further people won't get sick because it'll be cured?
? People said that bit is done by mission 28, but I dunno if that's the true end point?

You need to figure out what every sick person has in common.

If you don't want to do that, here is a spoiler:
Put everyone that speaks Kikongo into quarantine.

Did you listen to the tape you unlock after the
Infection/Quarantine
scene?

I completely ignored it. Just work through the next couple of missions and you'll be fine. I don't think there's a way to make it past this point without losing people.

Forkball

If I could not keep fucking up Mission 16 that would be great

Use D-Walker. He obliterates them in seconds. You will almost certainly get S rank too if you take them out.

I just finished mission 20. So far every Africa mission has had a heart-pounding final segment. The gruesomeness is also kicked up a notch.

Hasney

If someone goes full Rambo on your FOB, yes those Soldiers and staff are lost. It is possible to be attacked even though you aren't online at the time, meaning you have no chance to join the effort and help your security team. As far as I know on consoles there is no way to avoid staffing a FOB once you build one. On PC you could block the game from getting online through a firewall, at the cost of the daily logins.

What I've done is opted to support a bunch of random people with larger FOBs, and in return some have supported me too. Ups the odds that if you get invaded, someone might be around to take the time to help your FOB defend itself. Plus its a great way to make GMP if you successfully help people defend. For example one defense I helped win netted approx. 800K GMP!

Yeah that's what I've done. As I really enjoy the FOB gameplay anyway, defending other peoples bases isn't a chore either and as you said, those glorious rewards.

Defending is also easier as you would expect, especially with someones well equipped base. If you go in with someone other than Snake, you can even level up your staff doing this.

I completely ignored it. Just work through the next couple of missions and you'll be fine. I don't think there's a way to make it past this point without losing people.

I think losing people is also proportionate to how many soldiers you have. My OCD fultoning lost me over 200 people.

shiba5

Wow wtf I thought I could safely ignore this FOB stuff but I just went online to get the daily bonus and it forced me to build one. But more surprising is the massive staff capacity upgrade I got from doing so.

Is it true that I don't have to worry about invasions if I never do the invasion tutorial? I'd like to at least get it somewhat upgraded but in order to build platforms you need to go back online.

Looking at how much of a capacity increase I got just from building a new one, I wonder if it's even possible to max out your development without this shit. I thought I just had to grind harder for better soldiers. I mean I'm not the kind of person who shies away from PVP in video games but the online on PC can't even stay connected for 5 fucking minutes and it ruins my loadtimes - but if I don't want to MASSIVELY gimp myself I have to do this stuff. Let's not even talk about what you get for spending real money on the game. Just gross all around and I hope someone makes a mod to use these features offline.

I'm wondering about this myself. I have zero interest in the online stuff, but it sounds like Mother Base is severely gimped without it. Konami can fuck right off with this shit.

GeekMarty

You need to figure out what every sick person has in common.

If you don't want to do that, here is a spoiler:
Put everyone that speaks Kikongo into quarantine.

You don't need to do that. I just
powered through some missions and that was the end of it. I haven't even been to the Quarantine strut until much later when the game drops you there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Quiet is a beast, holy crap! I was making my way around Africa, sending her in to scout outposts before I got there so I'd have everyone marked and ready to analyse to see who was coming home with me. I must have accidentally selected 'Quiet (Attack)' on one of them, though, because before I'd even got halfway there all of a sudden it was "OUTPOST CAPTURED". Like, leave me some dudes, lady.

Now I've just started research on her silenced tranq rifle, so it's basically all over for Cipher and the entire USSR at this point. The only problem is that it's going to take 1 hour and 12 minutes to complete, so I suppose those glorious days of 18 minute timers are officially over.

Yeah, I'm researching the Silencer as well. As soon as that's done it's basically GG main missions Perfect Stealth maybe?

Angry Guy

I have some intensely spoilery endgame questions about
____Quiet____
. I would ask this in the spoiler thread, but I've only just beaten episode
, so if someone could answer my questions with as few spoilers as possible that would be awesome.

I heard Quiet leaves you after a certain point in the story. I know you can get her to stay by equipping the butterfly emblem, but that this essentially locks you out of the true ending. 1: Is this true? If so, 2: she's then totally locked out from being at all usable? I couldn't, for instance, go back to episode 12 and recruit her again? 3: There's no way to get her back? 4: Would I be missing out on 100% completion and important story stuff unless I let her leave?

Thanks in advance.

shiba5

I've been selling all of the guns and mortars I Fulton out. Now it sounds like I should have kept them so I can hold off an invasion - or do those guns not matter?

Griss

The way I was thinking about it last night I came to the conclusion that MGSV feels like the best pure gameplay I've ever played wrapped in a metric fuckton of systems and extras designed to ruin that fun. Which leaves me not knowing if the game is amazing or frustrating. I don't know how to separate all of the dull or disappointing moments and elements from the transcendent ones.

Problems:
1. Menu overkill and micromanagement. Between development, combat ops, FOBs - you spend way too much time fiddling around in menus in this game with stuff that isn't actually gameplay (with the exception of missions that remove enemy equipment - which are cool). It's not like you can screw this stuff up, it's just required for you to keep getting materials and clicking the 'develop' button so that you're well equipped. It adds nothing to the game. Strip it all out and the game would be better. The single worst moment of this is (very late game spoilers)
when the major challenge of the final boss of chapter 1 is calling in supplies rather than anything else. Yeah. The menus are the hardest part of the main boss.

2. 'The continuous-shot scene'. I'm not talking about cutscenes here, I'm talking about Snake. Why do we have to see him going back to mother base every time, why do we have to call ourselves a chopper, get in the air, get high enough to become an 'ACC', then choose a mission, then spend a whole minute flying to our target? Why can't we just select a mission and go? So much useless wasted time for what seems to be a stylistic choice.

3. The mission structure. It just doesn't work a lot of the time. Four biggest sins are the credits spoiling what's going to happen, the dull monotony of every mission starting the same way (coming in on heli to a position 1km outside the target), the fact that when things get interesting (later game spoilers)
the mission structure breaks down with the ludicrous 'to be continued' breaks
, and
having to replay missions as part of the main story.
Not only that but over half the missions do not have any kind of integral story beat in them, but are just extracting random officers etc to get you closer to your actual target. The benefit is that the ranking system is a lot of fun. In the end I feel being a slave to this overall structure hurt the game way more than it helped it.

4. The open world. There has to be a reason for an open world rather than level structure to make an open world worthwhile rather than a waste of a player's time traversing it. In GTAV it's two reasons: The immersiveness and enjoyment of driving around a real city/countryside along with the emergent chaos you can cause at any point of the map. In the Witcher 3 it's because of, again, the immersiveness of being lost in a fully realised fantasy world, and secondly the joy of stumbling upon some interesting character or story somewhere you would never have expected. What is MGS's reason? The world isn't real or fully realised. There are no civilians and it is clearly a bunch of interconnected levels where the missions happen. There's really no emergent gameplay that happens outside of the bases bar maybe getting pounced on by a jackal. There's nothing special to find out there - anything good is a sideop, and even sideops are selected from your iDroid (though you can stumble into them, you still get a 'mission started'-esque announcement).

What the open world ends up meaning here is that
a) you spend a quarter of your time sprinting between the (wonderfully designed) bases themselves, and
b) those bases are restricted to two areas, instead of potentially having been in interesting locations all over the world,
c) we're expected to believe that all of these huge events are happening in this relatively tiny theatre of war, which greatly restricts what they can do with the story and setting.

5. Mother Base. The actual physical place is just a waste of your time. Confusing layout, massive bridges, 100s of closed doors... what is the point of bringing you here so often? It feels like it was designed merely to facilitate multiplayer mode. But even there, sneaking up the base vertically isn't much fun since the camera system makes stealth much more fun when the enemies are laid out mostly ahead of you rather than directly above you. I did not enjoy Mother Base.

6. The Plot and Characters. I'm not quite finished and this isn't the place to talk about the details, but... wow. The thought I had in my mind as I began to see where it was going was that I hadn't seen a storyteller fall from grace in this way since M. Night Shyamalan. That's really the best analogy I can draw, and tells you what I think of where Kojima went with the narrative in Peace Walker and then V. If you'd told me the story would have been worse than Peace Walker's, I could never have believed you. But it's far, far worse, and pretty much an utter disaster.

And yet, despite that, for over 50% of my time spent with this game it feels like it's either the greatest game ever made or at least one of them. How do you reconcile that?

(I haven't even mentioned microtransactions because a) they haven't affected me yet, and b) I'll get angry.)

Is there anything stopping me from putting one poor soldier on my fob and leaving him to be the only security detail whilst I go off and do other stuff?

Even if he dies/ gets captured I don't plan to replace him meaning that whilst my fob may cost me resources it won't cost me soldiers.

J-Skee

So Mission 20, guys.
The devil house looked straight out of a horror movie. Had no idea I'd be fighting this man on fire. Eventually used one of the vehicles to push him into the reservoir.
It was pretty intense.

Panda Rin

So Mission 20, guys.
The devil house looked straight out of a horror movie. Had no idea I'd be fighting this man on fire. Eventually used one of the vehicles to push him into the reservoir.
It was pretty intense.

this pissed me off, because
the man on fire's name was in the beginning credits...completely ruined the surprise.

Phionoxx

I've been selling all of the guns and mortars I Fulton out. Now it sounds like I should have kept them so I can hold off an invasion - or do those guns not matter?

I think the plan at one point may have been to allow users to custom set gun emplacements on their FOBs along with the other defenses, ie. lasers and cameras. But it didn't end up that way. I'm fairly sure that the ones that show up in your resource menu are there to be sold for extra GMP as needed.

J-Skee

the man on fire's name was in the beginning credits...completely ruined the surprise.

Damn, I know that sucked. Did myself a favor & started looking away from the screen when the credits start. I understand the design decision, but I rather not be spoiled.

Mupod

So Mission 20, guys.
It was pretty intense.

The references to
PT were great. I immediately went into 'horror game' mode after that radio and the game got me good with a cardboard box that jumped up when I got close to it...there was a gerbil in there, lol.

I'm glad I've started looking away from my screen during credits.

Magwik

Banned
Use D-Walker. He obliterates them in seconds. You will almost certainly get S rank too if you take them out.

I just finished mission 20. So far every Africa mission has had a heart-pounding final segment. The gruesomeness is also kicked up a notch.

Hmm, I'll have to try that, thanks.

Phionoxx

Is there anything stopping me from putting one poor soldier on my fob and leaving him to be the only security detail whilst I go off and do other stuff?

Even if he dies/ gets captured I don't plan to replace him meaning that whilst my fob may cost me resources it won't cost me soldiers.

You could set only 1 guard from security team to be active (or zero guards for that matter if you wanted to) but once you have a FOB built, the game seems to auto populate the platforms with people from your other staff sections. Meaning your support, intel, research, medical etc. personnel are at risk of being killed or kidnapped (stolen) if the invade reached the objective without a combat alert or neutralized your entire security team.

shiba5

I think the plan at one point may have been to allow users to custom set gun emplacements on their FOBs along with the other defenses, ie. lasers and cameras. But it didn't end up that way. I'm fairly sure that the ones that show up in your resource menu are there to be sold for extra GMP as needed.

Oh good.
Do people invade mother base or just the FOB? Like, what am I at risk of losing if I just create the FOB and ignore it?
Nm, I see it just got answered above. That sucks.
How about creating the FOB and then going offline? Do you lose access to everyone now stationed at the FOB?

Hasney

When do you get vehicles? Now that I have DD I need vehicles for free roam.

You need to upgrade the fulton. Check the development tab to see what the requirements are because I forget!

How about creating the FOB and then going offline? Do you lose access to everyone now stationed at the FOB?

No, your FOB just functions as is. It'll only take losses when you go online to sync it, but you also won't be able to upgrade it without going online.

shiba5

When do you get vehicles? Now that I have DD I need vehicles for free roam.

I got them once I was able to Fulton them out. I stole a Jeep and it was available next mission. Don't forget to Fulton it back out when you're done with it. It doesn't get picked up automatically when you leave.

Freeman76

I just turn my head. The start of every mission is exactly that same, anyways,

That's what I do as well, no reason to have the character appearances ruined if you don't want them.

The game is superb, really enjoy the gameplay and it takes everything I love about the previous games and leaves out the unnecessary stuff that didn't appeal to me, throws it all into an open world and lets me loose. Love it!

Phionoxx

Oh good.
Do people invade mother base or just the FOB? Like, what am I at risk of losing if I just create the FOB and ignore it?

If you create a FOB you risk losing staff and resource containers that can be fultoned out by invaders. If you assign guards via a security team, they can be killed during invasions. Unfortunately for those that just want to ignore the FOB gameplay entirely, doing so still manages to adversely impact SP progression because losing those resources will slow the growth of your mother base. It will just mean more time needed to expand and re-acquire lost resources.

shiba5

You need to upgrade the fulton. Check the development tab to see what the requirements are because I forget!

No, your FOB just functions as is. It'll only take losses when you go online to sync it, but you also won't be able to upgrade it without going online.

What do you get out of upgrading it?

Yeah I've just unlocked the silenced Sniper rifle for her and it's just like cheat codes at this point. I let her scout/attack the targets and just fulton the useful soldiers.

You could set only 1 guard from security team to be active (or zero guards for that matter if you wanted to) but once you have a FOB built, the game seems to auto populate the platforms with people from your other staff sections. Meaning your support, intel, research, medical etc. personnel are at risk of being killed or kidnapped (stolen) if the invade reached the objective without a combat alert or neutralized your entire security team.

I want to say that characters you lock in (the pad lock symbol thing) don't go to the FOBs. Though you can only lock a set percentage of your overall staff.

This could all be BS though and I'm remembering the tutorial completely wrong.

I haven't had people invade me yet so I don't know the pain of losing my staff :p

Top Bottom