• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Ludens

Banned
D-Horse, meet me at the rendezvous point asap.
X0Ms4Gb.jpg

D-Horse, are you even trained to drive that thing?
S5W6rC3.jpg

I sure hope you know what you're doing D-Horse.
zqtnUwP.jpg

I just did this too, I need to do it again because I couldn't achieve a S rank thanks to D-Horse stopping directly in front of those thanks, and I ended on being spotted thanks to him.
Its AI is super-dumb in this mission.

kubus

Ok, I'll give that a shot, I tried last night after clearing out an air field only to slip off, die, and reset everything.
You climb on, press triangle (or whatever button fulton is) to extract it and then press and hold the button once more to hold on

njd_online

Banned
How you do it. Based on how I did it. S-Rank.

Just run straight to the airport in gatling gun'd D-Walker. Smash through the chainlink fence on, I believe, the south end of the base, but it may be east side. Head right for the big building at the center, have NVG on to look for regular soldiers. If you're hauling ass like me, one will be coming down the stairs just outside that central building. Tranq/silence him. Go through the core of the center building to the other side. Truck is on your right surrounded by about three regular soldiers, one who might be checking the power grid, the other two posted on the far side of the truck. You should be tranq'ing or silently disposing of in some way. Then stop right before the trigger with the baddies which is behind the truck. Get out of D-Walker. Then approach the back of the truck to trigger the cutscene, and fulton the truck as soon as the cutscene ends. Then get right back in your D-Walker and gatling the FUCK out of the big bads. Kaz will be so pleased.

I believe it was "gatling the fuck out of the big bads" that was the advice I needed! Passed! Phew!

Gaf is like a minefield trying to find the non spoiler mgs thread. Only to come in and people posting spoilers and most not even hiding them.

zhixson

Funny enough, I only won (and got an s-rank to boot) when I decided I'd try to fight them with the best tools at my disposal. The most destruction I could cause was with D-Walker. Skulls got wasted.
Spoilers regarding mission 16 completion:
Same here. I just couldn't drive away without losing the truck and my fulton wasn't high enough to just yank the truck out of the area, so I decided to take advantage of the fact that they are highly allergic to explosives and rockets and used some old Quake III strats by launching grenades at their feet or next to them so that they couldn't just avoid the projectile. Add a little vitamin Quiet to the mix and they went down pretty quickly. Oh yeah, hahaha, I got in a couple of tank howitzer blasts too before they destroyed that too. It was tense but very doable.

Liamc723

Can you subnormals stop making threads with vague spoilers in the thread title? MGSV IS A TAD BIT UNFINISHED ~~~SPOILERS~~~~ CHAPTER 2 OF MGSV IS UTTER GARBAGE.

There are a half dozen fucking threads to discuss this game in. Not everyone wants to have to read a thread title that discusses what is coming up further in the game.

It's not my fault you forgot there was a chapter 1.

Liamc723

What? they never officially said there will be more than one chapter.

Way to ruin it for others dude.

At the beginning of the game, "Chapter 1". Common sense tells you there's a chapter 2. Why would there be a chapter 1 if there was no chapter 2? In that case, there would be no chapters.

Hasney

FOB is legit

But I'm wondering how to attack bases with big security

Don't ask. Just try and attack my level 38 security with all the devices mwahaha.

I wanna know too though. One person has made it through me since all the upgrades while I wasn't there to defend. I wish you could watch a replay of it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
At the beginning of the game, "Chapter 1". Common sense tells you there's a chapter 2. Why would there be a chapter 1 if there was no chapter 2? In that case, there would be no chapters.

By the time they get there people already forgot it said "Chapter 1" at the very beginning.

Blablurn

Don't ask. Just try and attack my level 38 security with all the devices mwahaha.

I wanna know too though. One person has made it through me since all the upgrades while I wasn't there to defend. I wish you could watch a replay of it.

Hm.... Level 38?

Fuck

neshcom

Banned
What's the best way to handle replaying missions to get the extra objectives? Some of them clearly need an upgraded fulton, so I don't want to redo a while mission where I can't get everything in one go. You still have to complete the primary objective too, right?

CassSept

Damn, the story is really sparse. I'm 25 hours into the game and I think the only question that's been answered was what those phantom cigars of Snake are made of.

Hasney

Oooh you made a huge mistake

cryinggob.jpg

At least this works for me:

In the midnight hour she cried- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell she cried- "more, more, more"
In the midnight hour babe- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell- "more, more, more"
More, more, more.

Kama_1082

Banned
Because the spoiler thread is for the story?

I'm not discussing the story there, my thread is about the literal mechanics and motions you have to go through to progress through the game.
But for people that are going through this while reading nothing into the game from websites, just getting tips to this thread..reading MGSV IS A TAD BIT UNFINISHED. Fuck off with that shit.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

I'm not discussing the story there, my thread is about the literal mechanics and motions you have to go through to progress through the game.

Says who? a spoiler thread is for every information that hasn't been officially revealed, be it story or gameplay.

megalowho

Bullshit, the spoiler thread is for spoilers. It's the same handful of people discussing it anyway right now, the point is to contain it to a single thread.

JawzPause

All i want to do is progress in the story and this game won't let me. I have to wait 1 hour 45min until the combat deployment is done. Chapter 2 in this game so far has been rubbish

Ihyll

I've never played a MGS game in my life but I do enjoy action/shooter games...should I fork over the $60 for this??

Klossen

Banned
As someone who got spoiled on NeoGaf recently, I wish people just waited in general with spoilerish talk outside of the spoiler thread for another week or two. Most day 1 buyers aren't even finished with the game.

Liamc723

But for people that are going through this while reading nothing into the game from websites, just getting tips to this thread..reading MGSV IS A TAD BIT UNFINISHED. Fuck off with that shit.

Says who? a spoiler thread is for every information that hasn't been officially revealed, be it story or gameplay.

Bullshit, the spoiler thread is for spoilers. It's the same handful of people discussing it anyway right now, the point is to contain it to a single thread.

A chapter number is a spoiler? Jesus christ, you people are way too touchy.

CassSept

At least that's not as bad as the guy who casually spoiled what I assume is the big twist in a thread about va. Ugh. It's a really long game guys.

I've never played a MGS game in my life but I do enjoy action/shooter games...should I fork over the $60 for this??

This game kind of shines as a stealth game, playing it as an action shooter wouldn't really be doing it justice. If you plan to treat it as a relatively tactical shooter it would be fun though!

Maybe just my opinion though!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As much as it kills me to say it, I'm not enjoying this game anywhere near as much as I thought I would. There are so many little design choices that are ignorable on their own, but when you compound them all together it sucks a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

Who thought it would be a good idea to have opening credits for EVERY mission, spoiling who's going to show up (just played a mission where the credits told me that I'd be bumping into Skullface, then the game itself acted like this was supposed to be some sort of surprise)? That's like putting 'Bruce Willis as The Ghost' in the opening credits for Sixth Sense. Why is using the helicopter so slow. Needing to call it in, wait a minute or so to pick up up, sit for a minute or so until it hits the loading screen, then wait for it to load, then repeat the process when selecting a destination is just so tedious. It would be much better if I could select a pickup point and a landing point at once without needing to go through all of that.

And where's all the bat shit crazy stuff I've come to expect and love from a Metal Gear game? The prologue was pretty great but since then in about 20 hours of play I've seen maybe a grand total of about 15 minutes of cutscenes, and heard Big Boss say maybe 20 lines of dialogue outside of 'SPIT IT OUT'. It's really odd to see people having a full on conversation with him, and him just sitting there staring at them like a confused child. I know a lot of the story is told in cassettes which is fine, but the way the story is presented is just so detached from every other game in the series and I don't think it's for the better.

The whole Mother Base thing is a bit too convoluted. The menus aren't designed in such a way where they're intuitive to navigate and it takes way too long to level up your departments to research things. Mission 8 and 9 told me that I needed a missile, which needs a level 12 RND team to research. I was level 8 so went about fultoning everyone to level it up, reached a cap at level 10 and was told I couldn't have more than 40 people until I levelled up the department. That in itself takes a ton of resources (at least a lot for that early in the game) and a 1 hour wait while the department itself levels up. I ended up just saying 'fuck that' and completed the mission in the clumsiest way every using C4. I don't think any of this actually adds anything to the game, and if anything, detracts from the otherwise great gameplay. It requires too much time and focus and punishes certain play styles. Plus, mother base itself is just stupid to navigate. Why those long bridges between the platforms?

The game does have a lot of great points though. The open world is very nice to look at, if a bit empty and tedious to travel, and I love how seamless it is when you're actually in it. The controls are the best they've ever been in a Metal Gear Game, and the tools and items you can get really open the game up and allow you to really approach things whatever way you want, but this is held back by most missions being roughly the same but in a different setting (Most are either 'rescue the prisoner' or 'extract the super soldier' which both boil down to 'Get to the target and fulton him'). It seems like such wasted potential having these really, really great points diluted by some really questionable design choices.

Hopefully my gripes about the story change as the game progresses (although I won't get my hopes up because I've heard not so great things), but the helicopter nonsense, the mother base stuff and the repetitiveness of the missions has already kind of ruined any chance of me replaying the game. I'm having fun with it inspite of it's flaws, but I'm still disappointed. It's not the swan song Metal Gear deserves.

I mostly agree. But I expected it as I wasn't a huge fan of Peace Walker, and I'm a bit tired of open weld games, so I'm not that let down as it's met my expectations.

I just don't like this as much as MGS1-4 as I always liked the series for story craziness first gameplay second, as I'm not really a fan if stealth games.

That said, the gameplay here is much better as it's much more feasible to just try stealth then play it like a shooter when detected. And the controls are finally good. At least so far. I've done missions 1-7, and 11 that I stumbled across in free roam. And a bunch of side OPs.

I'm having fun, but would definitely like more story integration outside of tapes, and the open world just leads to waste time getting to mission areas when there's not yet a chopper landing close.

Top Bottom