• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Batzi

Banned
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

VRxaLqf.gif

fantomena

Finished the game.

What the fuck was that.

What's up with all the repeat mission ( [Extreme] etc.)?

What I think I got from the story was:

Chipher is a bad organization
Skullf face had soemthing to do with Cipher, so he kinda had to die
A virus infected the Mother Base, had something to do with Cipher
You did not play as Big Boss or something

Can somebody pls explain?

Finished the game.

What the fuck was that.

Did you listen to the tapes?

Coreda

It's quite a serene game at its core. Very little music outside of cutscenes, most of which is diegetic (radios, speakers).

The sound design itself becomes as tangible a quality as anything else: the buckling of your seatbelt as you overlook the deployment area, the squeaking of your shoes, the quiet humming of the ACC, listening and planning in the silence of the night. It's very reflective, and shows a trust that the player will still be engaged without constant musical cues.

Haunted

Finished the game.

What the fuck was that.

repeat missions are obvious padding because they ran out of time and money.

storywise it seems like you got the gist of it, which parts did you not understand? I'm sure people in the spoiler thread are happy to clear up any lingering questions.

Haunted

Wtf? He clearly missed basically everything about the story
Nothing he said was flat-out wrong, he clearly didn't care much for the story or he wouldn't have summed it up with such a shoddy post.

If he has additional questions, we're available to clarify.

fantomena

Nothing he said was flat-out wrong, he clearly didn't care much for the story or he wouldn't have summed it up with such a shoddy post.

If he has additional questions, we're available to clarify.

My questions:

Who do you play as? If it's not Bgi Boss, who it is and where is the real Big BOss

What's the virus?

WHat is Cipher?

What did Skull face want?

Gui_PT

My questions:

Who do you play as? If it's not Bgi Boss, who it is and where is the real Big BOss

What's the virus?

WHat is Cipher?

What did Skull face want?

But all of this is so clearly explained in the game

You would have had to skip all cutscenes/tapes to not know any of this

You play as the Medic who was in the helicopter with BB in Ground Zeroes

The virus consists of little parasites that attach to your vocal cords and when you speak a specific language, they kill you

Cipher is a network Zero created to control information, this the entire world. It's The Patriots from MGS2

Skull face wanted to free the world from the oppression of Zero and stuff

So I bootup the game 500k in the red... WTF. Says it "Failed to log in to server. You will not be able to use online features.(10012)"

KOJIMAAAA

still cant get online with the same error. Only thing I'm running is SweetFX to inject SMAA, could that be stopping me from going online or are the servers down for everyone, or is there a fix?

It's quite a serene game at its core. Very little music outside of cutscenes, most of which is diegetic (radios, speakers).

The sound design itself becomes as tangible a quality as anything else: the buckling of your seatbelt as you overlook the deployment area, the squeaking of your shoes, the quiet humming of the ACC, listening and planning in the silence of the night. It's very reflective, and shows a trust that the player will still be engaged without constant musical cues.
yeah, recently I sort of miss that as I get sort of overwhelmed with sounds, stats, effects trying to farm S rank soldiers or fuel, play MFO, play FOBs more competitively, etc

but when you sort of 'stop to smell the flowers,' especially in north-east Afghanistan in the mountains there or just out of the Mother Base struts.... game is pretty damn beautiful with just the cranes creaking or mountain wind howling

Allforce

The different experiences in this game are crazy. I have a friend who's playing this, big gamer but not the "message board" type. I met up with him last weekend and talked about how awesome this game is, he says "Yeah but I'm stuck on Mission 28, it's impossible". I said "Yeah I'm not that far, what is going on?" He says
"like 4 really good snipers, like the battle with that one chick". I said "why don't you use Quiet?"

He has no idea what I'm talking about.
He popped a cap in her as instructed by Kaz and never brought her back to Mother Base.
I'm blown away.

He also doesn't have D-Dog. How do you miss that?
He said he never saw any pup or anything through playing.

Later this week he texted me and said he deleted his save and is starting over lol. I don't know if
you can get Quiet back after that choice
but too late now, he's starting fresh.

GHG

Gold Member
So I'm ready to buy this game but I'm torn between getting the ps4 and PC versions.

How good is the online component of this game and is it worth getting the ps4 version now because of it? I also hear the PC version has to lot of hackers in the FOB section, is it that bad and if so can I just avoid the FOB bit all together? Any other reasons to get it on the ps4 over the PC?

I have a good PC that will max this out without breaking sweat but I'm more concerned about the non-graphical aspects because from what I can see the graphical differences are not that big.

KOMANI

KOMANI
So I'm ready to buy this game but I'm torn between getting the ps4 and PC versions.

How good is the online component of this game and is it worth getting the ps4 version now because of it? I also hear the PC version has to lot of hackers in the FOB section, is it that bad and if so can I just avoid the FOB bit all together? Any other reasons to get it on the ps4 over the PC?

I have a good PC that will max this out without breaking sweat but I'm more concerned about the non-graphical aspects because from what I can see the graphical differences are not that big.
pc. Online isn't worth it. PC, and enjoy.

KOMANI

KOMANI
So are you guys saying the online part of this game isn't fun? This IGN review of the online component makes it seem like a ton of fun:

http://youtu.be/a7zwEYRt1j8

Is there something I'm missing here?
FOBs can be fun... But that's also because there's no buddy. It's completely stealth. What's not fun is that you get invaded when you're asleep.

GHG

Gold Member
FOBs can be fun... But that's also because there's no buddy. It's completely stealth. What's not fun is that you get invaded when you're asleep.

Nah I'm not talking about the FOB part, that's a part I'm keen to avoid to be honest as I don't like the idea that resources from my mother base can be compromised when I'm not around to defend them.

The video I linked is for the MGO component.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Nah I'm not talking about the FOB part, that's a part I'm keen to avoid to be honest as I don't like the idea that resources from my mother base can be compromised when I'm not around to defend them.

Sorry, I can't click on you YouTube links for now... I don't think you're missing anything by not playing MGO3.

myco666

Atleast on PS4 it is highly unlikely to get invaded. I have way over 150hours logged with only one invasion and that was when I didn't have my security set up. On PC side I hear there are hackers and no MGO means you are more likely to get invaded and probably with someone who can take everything from your base with ease.

MGO is totally different part and as far as I know you can play MGO without having to deal with FOB. Just don't ever play campaign when online.

Coreda

yeah, recently I sort of miss that as I get sort of overwhelmed with sounds, stats, effects trying to farm S rank soldiers or fuel, play MFO, play FOBs more competitively, etc

but when you sort of 'stop to smell the flowers,' especially in north-east Afghanistan in the mountains there or just out of the Mother Base struts.... game is pretty damn beautiful with just the cranes creaking or mountain wind howling

It's why I prefer the side ops for that. You're in control of the pace and can leave and free roam at any point.

More of a known load out, too, unlike some of the missions where - WHOOSH - Skulls appear, or some other thing you hadn't considered.

Unrelated, but since developing the Rocket Arm I realize how much it needs an invert Y axis option. Was looking forward to it until I found the vertical movement uncontrollable. Such a simple option that would dramatically improve the experience for many players. That or simply using the mouse for direction rather than WASD.

GHG

Gold Member
Atleast on PS4 it is highly unlikely to get invaded. I have way over 150hours logged with only one invasion and that was when I didn't have my security set up. On PC side I hear there are hackers and no MGO means you are more likely to get invaded and probably with someone who can take everything from your base with ease.

MGO is totally different part and as far as I know you can play MGO without having to deal with FOB. Just don't ever play campaign when online.

Cool, good to know.

Don't normally do this but just bought on the PS4 since I had $30 of credit sitting in my US PSN account.

Can always double dip at a later date if I feel the need in an inevitable steam sale.

Finished yesterday. Overall, really enjoyable and I didn't find chapter 2 as boring as others since I completely skipped the repeat missions. Unfortunately it did feel like it could have done with an extra year of dev time to flesh out the story.

On a side note, it was a huge missed opportunity to not play the Snake Eater theme during episode 45, I feel like it would have fit in well.

looks like sweetFX is being blocked by the game, with it on i couldnt get online and would get error 10012, as soon as i disabled it, i logged into the server perfectly...

anyone have a version of sweetfx or just a simple DX11 SMAA injector (i only use it for SMAA)

JGLS

Invaded a guy, stole 2 nukes and he showed up and promptly killed me. At least, I got the 2 nukes, right? No, they even showed up on the post-invasion status screen, but they aren't on the resources tab and the defender still has them on the FOB screen. Come on Konami, fix your shit. Your servers and netcode are awful and your patches just fuck everything up. Man, I love this game, but it sure does its best to make me hate it. Sorry for the rant.

J.EM1

Unrelated, but since developing the Rocket Arm I realize how much it needs an invert Y axis option. Was looking forward to it until I found the vertical movement uncontrollable. Such a simple option that would dramatically improve the experience for many players. That or simply using the mouse for direction rather than WASD.
x2 on this. Probably why I don't use the rocket arm as much.

He also doesn't have D-Dog. How do you miss that?
He said he never saw any pup or anything through playing.

Later this week he texted me and said he deleted his save and is starting over lol. I don't know if
you can get Quiet back after that choice
but too late now, he's starting fresh.
I never came across DD until Mission 11... was headed up north
and found him on some hilltop near the supply base
. And I had probably put at least 50-60 hours into the game by then. I was doing a lot of SIDE OPS and even exploring to look for DD because though I went into the game somewhat blind, I had heard about how DD was missable so I was kinda looking for him. And yet considering how close I was
to heading to Africa, I can definitely believe he's naturally missable.

Funny thing is, I have a second playthrough I've been working on and I came across DD in the first hour lol. Literally the first time I went free roaming after Mission 1...
he was almost right beside the very first helicopter LZ
. That's like the other side of the map and 50 hours sooner that my first playthrough haha so it's definitely very random.

BTW.... about the other thing, yeah, I think you're friend could have :O
just re-do the mission again
never tried it but i heard it works

BadWolf

lol not sure why but i read this lol... im on mission 40....

-_______________-

wut?

He just seems to be talking about the loss of MGS as a series (since this is his last MGS) and what that might mean to a fan. He's definitely not talking about the actual ending.

Here's what he said when talking about the 'blank space':

Metal Gear was born as a game in 1987. From there 28 years, within me the circle of the Metal Gear story has been closed with the latest release “MGSV”. A respected author, Dennis Lehane with the popular series “Patrick Kenzie & Angela Gennaro” declared that at the peak of his popularity “No matter what kind of series it is, there is a time that it must end”, and he himself closed the curtain. No matter how popular a series is, someday the end will come. However, that is by no means a parting. Even if you can’t touch it, you can feel the influence of that story. A story is a thing without shape. Assuming physically nothing is there, nothing to be lost. As long as stories and legends are desired, they will continue forever. The brilliance will never vanish. It’s in everyone’s heart. It is not always true that saying “goodbye to a hero” ignites a phantom pain. By saying “goodbye to a hero”, you can for eternity leave behind lost joy as a blank space.

“Face peeling off from the wall” is from the punk band “The Clash” vocalist, a Joe Strummer poster. From the beginning, rock was supposed to be for younger people, but before long it became difficult to understand. As a revolt to that, punk rock was born. Out of all the punk bands, The Clash was one of the most supported. One of the main members of Aztec Camera, Roddy Frame who was born in 1964, handled the compositional songwriting. The music he played along with Strummer was supposedly heroic.

However, that poster of the hero peeled off the wall. Afterwards there is nothing more to post. A blank space.

When that song was first presented, Roddy Frame was 19 years old. Sure for him, punk rock already did not belong to him anymore. That went from up until then a closed world(punk craze), and tried to jump to a new music, inherit the hero’s will, this time I will become the legend and determine the song. And thus later on, it became know that the songs they formed were a new genre called neo acoustic.

But when they were making those songs, all that was before their eyes was a blank space. When they tried to walk, there was a frozen winter. Despite that, face the coldness of winter, go towards the blank space.

There is a blank space, but it will not be filled. In that blank space there is always a hero. Because there is a blank space, you can advance ahead. It is this blank space exactly that is “V”.

The translation is kinda iffy tbh.

Ashura_MX

Invaded a guy, stole 2 nukes and he showed up and promptly killed me. At least, I got the 2 nukes, right? No, they even showed up on the post-invasion status screen, but they aren't on the resources tab and the defender still has them on the FOB screen. Come on Konami, fix your shit. Your servers and netcode are awful and your patches just fuck everything up. Man, I love this game, but it sure does its best to make me hate it. Sorry for the rant.
Working as intended, you have to reach tje core for nukes to ahow right away

Yeah, I think I also got DD my first time out or at least very early and I third(?) that damn Rocket Arm needing inverted controls.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's not out on PC yet. On consoles (or PS3 anyway) it's a lag-fest. Not really worth it until they fix it (if ever) from being P2P. :/

MG310

Thought it was going to take a while to get the last 2 Mother Base platforms finished for the trophy but somehow got 100,000 fuel after doing Mission 50 once and the Extreme version of it to get the S ranks/tasks finished.

Top Bottom