• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Turns out they fucked up the directX implementation on PC:

The fix is there in case anyone else wants to give it a go. I won't be able to until later.

The author of SpecialK also had this to say on the game:
Thanks for sharing this. I'll be trying it in a moment and will update with the results.

God bless the pc community man, unfucking the games fucked by their devs.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Been testing the Special K patch for PC and man, it's so much better! :messenger_ok:

My rig: 5800X, 4070 Super, 16GB of RAM.
Settings: 4K, 100% res scale.

Pre-patch: Could reach 60fps at times, desert was 45fps and 40fps on the city.
Post-patch: Game tops at 58fps even at the menu. Got between 55-58 on the desert, between 50-58 on the city.

Even with those small fluctuations it still felt very smooth, and so much better to play already. Dude says he's still putting more work into it but for me this is already indication that we'll be getting a smooth experience on release day.

A weird thing I noticed... yesterday when playing it unpatched, I had to set the brightness setting to the minimum because the game was super bright. The patch seems to correct this too, and now I had to put the brightness slider almost to the max. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

MMaRsu

This case feels a bit more extreme than just bad / no anti aliasing.

Look at this cross-section, this is not zoomed in at all, this is just a crop of a full view.

This looks a lot more egregious than just dark outlines like you see in cel-shaded games, reminds me of Killer Instinct's sharpening filter on XBO back when it came out.

Z8EHtvf.png

Why have you not set resolution scaling to 150% or 175%?

Hrk69

Gold Member
Turns out they fucked up the directX implementation on PC:

The fix is there in case anyone else wants to give it a go. I won't be able to until later.

The author of SpecialK also had this to say on the game:
How does this even happen? I mean there must be someone at Atlus who checks and tests quality.

Obviously it's a demo but come on, PC games have been riddled with poor performance the last years.

It certainly makes me less excited to play it, It's just a huge bummer.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Based on the little time with the demo (Played up to the entrance to the mines), I'm giving it a 8.75

Pros
Combat/Battle System and Mechanics
Lore and World Building
English voice Acting (Didn't try Japanese)
UI, Menus, Character Portraits, Fonts, Maps
Animation Cutscenes
MUSIC!!!
Mature Tone (Murder, Political/Social Systems, Racism)

Cons
PS4 Graphics (I'm playing on a PS5 and I feel like if I played it on a PS4, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference)
Level Design
It's missing a level of polish
Took me 10 mins to think of a name for the protagonist and I ended up calling him Metaphor ...

Just quick impressions. I'm going to finish the rest of the demo later today. I really enjoy the combat system, art direction, music and story thus far.

The real time preemptive strike combat mechanic into turn base JRPG combat is genius and probably going to cost me $70.

Last edited:

Rising_Hei

Can I play this on a 7600X without a dedicated GPU? (I'm reluctant to buy one right now).
Guess not.
Edit: Atlus games aren't the best example to argument that a PRO is not needed, this looks like Persona 5, and Persona 5 was released on PS3, too. Raw power in visuals isn't their style.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't like to install stuff to fix devs shanenigans, does the game run well on a 4080 or it run badly no matter the hardware?

TintoConCasera

I don't like to install stuff to fix devs shanenigans, does the game run well on a 4080 or it run badly no matter the hardware?
It runs much worse than it should but you might be able to brute force it to play it decently.

The fix is just a dll file you drag and drop on the game's folder, no install needed so I'd say it's 100% worth it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh, you mean you want to apply the fix on an Xbox? No way to do that there afaik.

No, I think he means the Xbox app versions on PC. (i-e the MS Windows store version)

@ SF Kosmo SF Kosmo

And I think they don't hide the files anymore (?), check the C:\XboxGames\

That's where my locally installed PC GP games go and I have even been able to use tweaked files from PGamingWiki there with success.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Oh, you mean you want to apply the fix on an Xbox? No way to do that there afaik.
No, no, on PC. But the file structures for GamePass and Xbox stores are kind of hidden.

No, I think he means the Xbox app versions on PC. (i-e the MS Windows store version)

@ SF Kosmo SF Kosmo

And I think they don't hide the files anymore (?), check the C:\XboxGames\

That's where my locally installed PC GP games go and I have even been able to use tweaked files from PGamingWiki there with success.
Oh ok, I will check when I get home.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
In this instance it isn't due to Linux optimisations though. It also runs like shit (comparative to what it looks like) on my 4090 rig.

It feels like they've done nothing in the way of optimisation here on the PC version, hopefully that changes between now and launch.

Yeah, I've read on windows switching to the Vulkan DX renderer almost double framerates in this game. So there's hope!

MMaRsu

But in all honesty, I found the beginning extremely disjointed.

I hope that's not how any of it is in the full game.

There's like multiple points where it just cuts and you're in a different location

Flabagast

Idk how long this demo is but I’ve played 4 hours so far and past the point I thought would be the inevitable cut off point.

This game has exceeded my expectations so far, and seriously saved me from a gaming depression rut.

I was on the verge of just quitting the hobby altogether aside from fromsoft releases.

Thank you Atlus.
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here and fall in the same auto hype trap like any other major release.

The game seems very cool but it does not seem to bring something new to the medium at all.

TintoConCasera

The game seems very cool but it does not seem to bring something new to the medium at all.
I think the mix of action and turn-based is quite the innovation.

That said, I don't think a JRPG needs to bring anything new to the table in order for us to get hyped about it. Imo all it needs is good art, nice music, fun gameplay and a cool story, and this game seems to have it all.

TintoConCasera

After coming right from FFVII Rebirth, I have my doubts Metaphor can be more engaging in terms of combat.
Well my post was more about the mix of action and turn-based being innovative rather than the quality of those.

I haven't played F7R nor have put any significant time on Metaphor's demo so I don't know how good or bad the action combat is. The turn-based part seems to be pretty much like SMT so for me that's already a 10/10 on fun combat lol.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I think the mix of action and turn-based is quite the innovation.

That said, I don't think a JRPG needs to bring anything new to the table in order for us to get hyped about it. Imo all it needs is good art, nice music, fun gameplay and a cool story, and this game seems to have it all.
I agree 100% on your last point, but let's not act like it is the savior of gaming in any way. Most likely it will be a very cool JRPG but nothing else (and that's already good).

Dont agree at all on your first. Maybe I misunderstand something in the demo but the "action based" gameplay is just smashing square when you see a foe before entering into turn based ? Nothing like an major innovation at all imho, and you already have a similar system in Persona 5

TintoConCasera

I agree 100% on your last point, but let's not act like it is the savior of gaming in any way. Most likely it will be a very cool JRPG but nothing else (and that's already good).
Agreed too. Never said it would be the best game ever but it sure looks like a very cool JRPG. :messenger_ok:

Dont agree at all on your first. Maybe I misunderstand something in the demo but the "action based" gameplay is just smashing square when you see a foe before entering into turn based ? Nothing like an major innovation at all imho, and you already have a similar system in Persona 5
Was talking about how mixing the 2 is innovative. I don't know about the quality of the action part, didn't play the demo too much.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
A weird thing I noticed... yesterday when playing it unpatched, I had to set the brightness setting to the minimum because the game was super bright. The patch seems to correct this too, and now I had to put the brightness slider almost to the max. :goog_relieved:
I noticed this on my PC too but it's the same on console so I figured it was right.

I have to say the IQ on Series S is pretty atrocious. Looks like 1080p or maybe even less with zero AA. The PC version looks leagues better if you have the muscle to get to 4K or a lot of super sampling.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well my post was more about the mix of action and turn-based being innovative rather than the quality of those.

I haven't played F7R nor have put any significant time on Metaphor's demo so I don't know how good or bad the action combat is. The turn-based part seems to be pretty much like SMT so for me that's already a 10/10 on fun combat lol.
I’ll say this - the combat is not innovative.

This is the same system from trails daybreak. When I played that demo I wondered if this is what metaphor is going to do, and sure enough that is what it is.

TintoConCasera

This is the same system from trails daybreak. When I played that demo I wondered if this is what metaphor is going to do, and sure enough that is what it is.
Really? Haven't played the Trails games yet, so I'll trust you and take back what I said before.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Trails Daybreak demo is substantially more detailed. Real time positioning throughout battle. Can swap into and out of turn based whenever. This is just baby steps towards that, but it's still something.
Really? Haven't played the Trails games yet, so I'll trust you and take back what I said before.
I haven't played them at all, but I tried that demo. The combat is impressive.

SpokkX

Framerate on Steam deck is awful in certain scenes. Seems to be related to draw distance since the framerate just TANKS unless you have walls in front of you

Rambone

i love persona/smt games but this just looks bad. i'm sure i'd love the gameplay but visually it's a mess. fair enough that they make it stand out but that whole art style is a disaster.

Yea, the art style was an 'interesting' choice. I haven't decided if I like or dislike it, feel pretty neutral about it I guess.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
One thing I don't like is transforming into giant robots. The game starts with a good amount of tension and plays into that more mature dark fantasy vibe. People seem a bit more vulnerable and you see multiple deaths in the intro cutscenes. Then out of nowhere you're Voltron. Kind of robs the moment of any stakes or urgency. They really could have tried something else since Persona already does that.

I don't know about this one. Definitely didn't pull me in. The setting seems...off. way too many cutscenes to open up, and the chatter is a slog right out of the gate. Pacing is all over the place. On the overworld map the fairy says the same three lines over and over again as you approach enemies. There's just lots of weird, little things that give me pause.

Combat seemed fine. Music didn't really stand out like the SMT/Persona games. I'm tired of the "fantasy game = orchestral music" line of thinking!

I really wanted to like this but after first impressions, I'm probably going to wait for a sale, if at all.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The boy played it for about 15 mins last night just to get a feel and he was in love with it. "Better than P5" was his reaction. I love the art style and I didn't notice any issues with perf etc. Looks like it runs very stably (~60fps).
Persona 5 was a slog.....major, repetitive slog. Other than great style and characters, the rest was rough.

Top Bottom