• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

rotorfire

Neo Member
Do you want to play a great rpg thats over 100 hours long, and focusses a lot on social stuff as well as battles? GO Persona 5 Royal
Do you want to play a great rpg thats not over 100 hours long, and focusses mostly on the gameplay aspect? Go Shin Megami Tensei Vengeance

I wouldnt recommend this or Persona 3 for someone who's never played a modern Atlus RPG.
I completely agree with this.

So I tried latest nightly build for metaphor special k fix on deck, and it’s wild how big a diff it makes. The initial scene with the fairy was like 10fps. Now it’s locked 30 (I have 30 locked, high textures, 100%, no ambient occlusion). Desert first scene locked 30. Desert second scene dropped to 27 a couple of times, but mostly 30. City is the same deal. Almost always 30, some to 27. Second city has more dips, but ehhh. It’s okay.
The game should really run at 60fps on deck, but at least we’re getting into playable territory again.

Last edited:

Majukun

who comes up with those names for a game?

I mean it's probably extra-gibbery for a westerner, but can't imagine they sound any less silly to a japanese

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Demo cleared, 8 hours clocked, felt like I was playing the full game and was annoyed when it ended. Did everything I could possibly do, listened to every NPC, read every lore entry. I've said many times this was one of my my most anticipated games of 2024 and I've been on media blackout for almost a year. I can't fucking wait to dig into the game but before then I have many thoughts!

I need to get this out of the way upfront, the "creative choice" to have detritus floating all over the screen at all times is one of the worst artistic decisions I've seen in my nearly 40 years of hardcore gaming. Let's all put our love of Atlus/Persona team aside and call a duck a duck; this is an ugly fucking duck. Yes, it's Magla, ever present throughout the world, cool visual of it being sucked up by machines in Grand Trad, we don't need to see it schizophrenically thrown all over the screen at all times, Jesus Christ. At best it's distracting, at worst it *ruins* the atmosphere, tone it down or give me an option to turn it off completely (won't happen).

This ties into a greater problem of "visual noise", the game is simply way too busy. Persona games have style for days but they never felt overwrought the way this often does. I don't need spastic, twitching text boxes, the beautiful character portraits are more than enough, less is often more. This is a beautiful game in many ways but also an ugly one, smeared with drab, low resolution environmental brush strokes against it's bold, striking character art. Performance leaves a lot to be desired too, no reason something that could pass for a PS3 game - and doing very little that could be seen as complex - can't run at a rock solid 60 fps on PS5, Atlus doesn't get a pass here.

All this is frustrating but it doesn't change the simple fact that I'm already in love with Metaphor. The Persona-esque gameplay loop has me hooked all over again, I'm already super attached to these characters (don't care much for the protagonist though...) and fully invested in the central narrative. There is A LOT of Persona DNA here (Akademia = Velvet Room, Archetypes = Personas, Bonds = Social Links etc) right down to many skills having the exact same name. Metaphor does enough to differentiate itself though, and I'm intrigued by it's varied world structure and main premise of gathering a following to become the next king.

The anime cutscenes that frequently pop up are beautiful and the characters all around have great voice acting and personality. The combat is fantastic, again, very Persona-esque with a couple of unique twists to the formula. Loving the synchronized attacks and hoping the full game will unlock something akin to 'All-Out Attack' or 'Showtime' attacks. The world map gives the impression this will be a grand adventure and the overall presentation is one of a tightly woven, epic fantasy, I can't wait to see where the game takes us.

Last thing before concluding this lengthy post is to praise the absolutely godly soundtrack. I thought Rebirth or Astrobot had OST of the year in the bag but this demo alone blows any Persona game out of the water, the music is that fucking good, competition just heated up! Velvet Room theme is classic but honestly, I think Akademia theme beats it, a true thing of beauty. Every single track is a winner though, already anticipating what else I'll hear in the full release!

Two weeks to go, already had my physical copy pre-ordered. Wouldn't have played the demo if progress didn't carry over, God bless Japanese devs for continuing to put out generous demos like this with that feature. After demo ended and cinematic kicked in I muted the TV and started composing this post to avoid spoilers, back on media blackout so to speak lol. Roll on October 11th!

Last edited:

Synless

I like what I’ve played so far…. But fuck this game looks dated.

Running through castles or hallways that are bigger than life itself looks odd in this day and age. Feels like it it started on switch.

Flabagast

Demo cleared, 8 hours clocked, felt like I was playing the full game and was annoyed when it ended. Did everything I could possibly do, listened to every NPC, read every lore entry. I've said many times this was one of my my most anticipated games of 2024 and I've been on media blackout for almost a year. I can't fucking wait to dig into the game but before then I have many thoughts!

I need to get this out of the way upfront, the "creative choice" to have detritus floating all over the screen at all times is one of the worst artistic decisions I've seen in my nearly 40 years of hardcore gaming. Let's all put our love of Atlus/Persona team aside and call a duck a duck; this is an ugly fucking duck. Yes, it's Magla, ever present throughout the world, cool visual of it being sucked up by machines in Grand Trad, we don't need to see it schizophrenically thrown all over the screen at all times, Jesus Christ. At best it's distracting, at worst it *ruins* the atmosphere, tone it down or give me an option to turn it off completely (won't happen).

This ties into a greater problem of "visual noise", the game is simply way too busy. Persona games have style for days but they never felt overwrought the way this often does. I don't need spastic, twitching text boxes, the beautiful character portraits are more than enough, less is often more. This is a beautiful game in many ways but also an ugly one, smeared with drab, low resolution environmental brush strokes against it's bold, striking character art. Performance leaves a lot to be desired too, no a reason something that could pass for A PS3 game doing very little that could be seen as complex can't run at a rock solid 60 fps on PS5, Atlus doesn't get a pass here.

All this is frustrating but it doesn't change the simple fact that I'm already in love with Metaphor. The Persona-esque gameplay loop has me hooked all over again, I'm already super attached to these characters (don't care much for the protagonist though...) and fully invested in the central narrative. There is A LOT of Persona DNA here (Akademia = Velvet Room, Archetypes = Personas, Bonds = Social Links etc) right down to many skills having the exact same name. Metaphor does enough to differentiate itself though, and I'm intrigued by it's varied world structure and main premise of gathering a following to become the next king.

The anime cutscenes that frequently pop up are beautiful and the characters all around have great voice acting and personality. The combat is fantastic, again, very Persona-esque with a couple of unique twists to the formula. Loving the synchronized attacks and hoping the full game will unlock something akin to 'All-Out Attack' or 'Showtime' attacks. The world map gives the impression this will be a grand adventure and the overall presentation is one of a tightly woven, epic fantasy, I can't wait to see where the game takes us.

Last thing before concluding this lengthy post is to praise the absolutely godly soundtrack. I thought Rebirth or Astrobot had OST of the year in the bag but this demo alone blows any Persona game out of the water, the music is that fucking good, competition just heated up! Velvet Room theme is classic but honestly, I think Akademia theme beats it, a true thing of beauty. Every single track is a winner though, already anticipating what else I'll hear in the full release!

Two weeks to go, already had my physical copy pre-ordered. Wouldn't have played the demo if progress didn't carry over, God bless Japanese devs for continuing to put out generous demos like this with that feature. After demo ended and cinematic kicked in I muted the TV and started composing this post to avoid spoilers, back on media blackout so to speak lol. Roll on October 11th!
Very good write up, thanks. Maybe just would differ a little bit on music. While good, it’s kinda tropey for the moment and not that different from other fantasy RPGs

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

This ties into a greater problem of "visual noise", the game is simply way too busy. Persona games have style for days but they never felt overwrought the way this often does. I don't need spastic, twitching text boxes, the beautiful character portraits are more than enough, less is often more. This is a beautiful game in many ways but also an ugly one, smeared with drab, low resolution environmental brush strokes against it's bold, striking character art. Performance leaves a lot to be desired too, no a reason something that could pass for A PS3 game doing very little that could be seen as complex can't run at a rock solid 60 fps on PS5, Atlus doesn't get a pass here.

As always, amazing write up brother...
One of the best posters on GAF 😉

acidagfc

This ties into a greater problem of "visual noise", the game is simply way too busy. Persona games have style for days but they never felt overwrought the way this often does. I don't need spastic, twitching text boxes, the beautiful character portraits are more than enough, less is often more.
Absolutely agree on both points.
Floaters are way too noticable and should be made much more transparent.

And yes, the UI is certainly too busy. I honestly find the small font (for items or spell descriptions, for example) to be too small. Sure, my eyesight is bad, but come on, there is enough space on screen to fit larger font.
For me P5 was the perfect mix betweeen style and functionality, this one goes too far into style over usability.

I was not expecting to like this, I bounced pretty hard off of P5, but free demo is free so I decided to check it out.
The presentation is a beautiful mess, I understand how people find it way too over the top, it is sloppy but I kinda dig the look and insanity of it.

Reactions: Isa

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Currently autisming the hell out of this demo

x3dixzg.png

1WrToLV.png

(mastered all classes)

Fbh

Gave the demo a quick try even though I'm not interested in buying the game at launch.
I'm probably in the minority but I don't like JRPG's demos that are just the beginning of the game, I'd rather get a quick vertical slice of the gameplay and combat instead of getting 2 hours of cutscenes and dialogue before you are even presented the core mechanics.

From what I played the combat seems quite fun. I agree with people saying it's similar to the SMT press turn but with a cool job system attached to it.
The plot and world also seems interesting, it has been a while since we got a more story heavy Atlus game that isn't Persona (SMTV being more gameplay focused, which is nice too) and the music is nice.

Visually it's a bit messy though, maybe bordering on being over-stylized. Also for something that often looks like it could be a remaster of a Ps3 game it seems quite poorly optimized, this should be running at rock solid 60fps with a nice clean image on Ps5 and instead the performance drops in a few spots and there's an insane amount of shimmering all over the place.

Skifi28

Can't tell if you're trolling or not. Did they just run these through AI?

"Hey DALLE-E, can you give Hifumi from Persona 5 red hair and elf ears"

Also,

"Can you make a black version of her with white hair and random shit all over her face, thanks"
J3tqrJ5.gif

SHA

Can someone explain an atlus jrpg games for a newbie like me? My background are Sony +Bandai Namco jrpgs.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can someone explain an atlus jrpg games for a newbie like me? My background are Sony +Bandai Namco jrpgs.
They are super cool. That's it, buy them all.

But seriously. Imo the best thing about Shin Megami Tensei, it's spin-offs (which includes Persona) and now Metaphor, is the combat system. Many turn-based JRPGs are either too simple or brain-dead easy, while SMT games usually not just offer a very fun and rewarding combat system but also a good challenge. That, plus other mechanics like demon fusion (replaced in Metaphor with a job system) make those games super fun and engaging to me.

They also usually have very good music and very good art designs and presentation, plus their stories are usually about phylosophy, religion and that kind of stuff if not other kinds of darker and more adult stuff. You won't hear about the power of friendship or defeating the great evil too often, but rather having to choose between "morally grey" options, power, freedom, betrayal, racism, reincarnation, that kind of stuff.

SHA

But seriously. Imo the best thing about Shin Megami Tensei, it's spin-offs (which includes Persona) and now Metaphor, is the combat system. Many turn-based JRPGs are either too simple or brain-dead easy, while SMT games usually not just offer a very fun and rewarding combat system but also a good challenge. That, plus other mechanics like demon fusion (replaced in Metaphor with a job system) make those games super fun and engaging to me.

They also usually have very good music and very good art designs and presentation, plus their stories are usually about phylosophy, religion and that kind of stuff if not other kinds of darker and more adult stuff. You won't hear about the power of friendship or defeating the great evil too often, but rather having to choose between "morally grey" options, power, freedom, betrayal, racism, reincarnation, that kind of stuff.
Thanks.

SHA

Jesus! That's what I want, it's strange that game makers actually knew what we wanted from the beginning and all this didn't just happen randomly.

Last edited:

fallingdove

I really wanted to love this. The character designs are fantastic, the lore is unique, the dialogue isn’t the sort of cringe I expect from modern jrpgs…

However, the loading screens are WAY too frequent, the amount of on screen text and general messiness of the hud is insanely distracting. The action combat lacks engagement (these enemies are some of the least interesting I have ever encountered), and the world/level design is not worth exploring.

If this had launched pre-FF7 Rebirth, FFXVI, Xenoblade, Gravity Rush, Tales of Arise, Granblue Fantasy Relink, or hell, even Genshin Impact I could have cut them some slack. The action JRPG bar is high and sadly, the Persona team seem to be in over their heads.

(This is coming from someone who has finished Persona 2 through 5, platinumed 4 and on my way to a platinum in P3R so I am not unfamiliar with the developer — this just feels like a late PS3/early PS4 level production)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Super, super different, Atlus J-RPG are very much their own flavor.

Most of them are based around the SMT meta, which mostly have either contemporary urban or post-apocalyptic settings, and have a dark tone or horror themes. Moral grayness is usually a big theme, as well and they usually explore a lot of religious and mythological themes.

It's a little harder to generalize about the gameplay as they're sort of all over the map, from first person dungeon crawlers, to hybrid social sims, to more open zone stuff. But they overwhelmingly have simple-but-rewarding turn based combat and system that reward players for smart party/character building.

Metaphor is sort of an outlier in that it's actually not set in the SMT meta and the setting is closer to sword and sorcery high fantasy. But despite that it shares a lot of tone, theme, and style of other Atlus games.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Those are the worst. I've been there a number of times, Warhammer helped me get out of it. As a FromSoft fan myself, what did you enjoy from this demo? Cause I'm still on the fence. I feel like nothing can revive that enjoyment I used to have for JRPGs back in the SNES-PS2 days.
Oddly enough people in here are complaining about the story but the longer I played the more I want to know. Like the monsters being called humans, the guy in Akademia being imprisoned and not having his memories thanks to the king, the kings insane spell at the end of the demo to create the main plot, etc. Folks here calling characters one dimensional yet knowing prior Atlus works means they get layers to themselves as the games advance.

Loving the story, world building, and mystery.

The combat I’m enjoying because it’s snappy and fun.

Soundtrack is stellar.

I love how the game looks, and the art style just layers the atmosphere.

Little Mac

Gold Member
In the Grand Trad, after the fight with
Zombie Grius
, how many of these timed virtue side quests can I do before I screw up the main objective?

Last edited:

SHA

I really wanted to love this. The character designs are fantastic, the lore is unique, the dialogue isn’t the sort of cringe I expect from modern jrpgs…

However, the loading screens are WAY too frequent, the amount of on screen text and general messiness of the hud is insanely distracting. The action combat lacks engagement (these enemies are some of the least interesting I have ever encountered), and the world/level design is not worth exploring.

If this had launched pre-FF7 Rebirth, FFXVI, Xenoblade, Gravity Rush, Tales of Arise, Granblue Fantasy Relink, or hell, even Genshin Impact I could have cut them some slack. The action JRPG bar is high and sadly, the Persona team seem to be in over their heads.

(This is coming from someone who has finished Persona 2 through 5, platinumed 4 and on my way to a platinum in P3R so I am not unfamiliar with the developer — this just feels like a late PS3/early PS4 level production)
Have you watched Berserk? If not, just watch the show, it's short, it's the shortest answer I could give.

Last edited:

Stafford

Someone at Atlus really forgot to apply anti-aliasing, right? Jesus. Aren't Persona games super clean?

Anyway, after a battle the game told me about remaining points to allocate, but how/where do I do that?

KrisB

Someone at Atlus really forgot to apply anti-aliasing, right? Jesus. Aren't Persona games super clean?

Anyway, after a battle the game told me about remaining points to allocate, but how/where do I do that?
After it tells you that you have earned points, you use the d-pad to allocate the point.

I missed it the first time as well as the text size for that part of the menu is way too small.

Stafford

After it tells you that you have earned points, you use the d-pad to allocate the point.

I missed it the first time as well as the text size for that part of the menu is way too small.

Oh wow, ok. So this can only be done when it says that after battle?

Also, do you guys use the power attacks often? The attack that consumes MP? So far I don't seem to find many magla pills or potions so it seems I should find a balance between normal attacks and the power ones. But man, the regular attacks do shit damage, lol.

RobRSG

If I had to guess I’d say they are not using UE4 as in their newest games, probably trying too much with P5 engine, which had very simple geometry.

The game is looking rough and increasing the resolution doesn’t help a lot.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Have you watched Berserk? If not, just watch the show, it's short, it's the shortest answer I could give.
Lol. Yes. I adore Berserk (both the Manga and the Berserk 97 anime). I need a little more context though to understand the response.

SHA

Lol. Yes. I adore Berserk (both the Manga and the Berserk 97 anime). I need a little more context though to understand the response.
They usually have very good music and very good art designs and presentation, plus their stories are usually about phylosophy, religion and that kind of stuff if not other kinds of darker and more adult stuff. You won't hear about the power of friendship or defeating the great evil too often, but rather having to choose between "morally grey" options, power, freedom, betrayal, racism, reincarnation, that kind of stuff.
I've read your comment, you're criticizing gameplay and graphics agisim, I thought you were looking for plot details, I don't see your critics align with that type of world especially Metaphor.

Stafford

Yep, I got it working for the protagonist. But what about my followers? Or can I not up their stats?

Vyse

Gold Member
Can you elaborate the zero cringe? FFVII Rebirth had cringy moments with Yuffie and the Chadley twins along with some other moments. Is the tone here more serious?
I’ll chime in here. Playing Visions of Mana and the English VO is hit or miss for me. Some of the characters have a really bad southern accent that is really over the top snd IMO don’t match the individual.

In the demo, all of the characters seem to match the individuals and I love how it blends back and forth with the anime cut scenes.

Really like what I have played so far.

Damn I was hating on this until I tried the demo, its everything I wanted P5 to be!

Better music (hate jazz)
Non highschool setting
Fantasy world
More mature themes
Updated gameplay
Red as a main color

My only gripe was no romance but now it'll feel less awkward getting everyone to max social link

One huge hilarious moment though near the end was when Grius
tells you his 'plan' that is straight suicide but you and everyone are like oKaY wE'Ll Be RiGhT bAcK
Like right after meeting Maria too 😂

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Absolutely agree on both points.
Floaters are way too noticable and should be made much more transparent.

And yes, the UI is certainly too busy. I honestly find the small font (for items or spell descriptions, for example) to be too small. Sure, my eyesight is bad, but come on, there is enough space on screen to fit larger font.
For me P5 was the perfect mix betweeen style and functionality, this one goes too far into style over usability.
Yep, absolutely agree on both choices and it’s a bit puzzling that Atlus went this far into style direction without taking into account any sort of QoL issues.

Then again, that demo on Steam managed to f up DirectX implementation so it’s a mature hour throughout.

I am sure I will get this game at some point, but only after some technical fixes on PC since I doubt interface or the debris will get toned down. Much like with SE’s games, I refuse to buy them when the company refuses to correct common sense problems.

Top Bottom