• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Played for an hour or so the 360 version.

I'm in love. The atmosphere is just perfect. Glad they didn't compromise too much on the particles/lights, the game is gorgeous.

The shooting mechanics that got criticized are fine in my opinion. They're just different from the majority of the games out there.

Love it.

dLMN8R

Thanks for all the impressions, everyone. The game looks amazing, that release trailer practically sealed the deal, and I will probably be buying this soon.

I'm just disappointed though...it seems like it's not selling well at all :-(

It's a Steamworks game, which means that every single copy sold - whether through Steam or at Retail - is tracked through the Steam Stats web site. Unless I'm missing something, or don't full understand how the Stats page works, the concurrent numbers for Metro 2033 have been thoroughly disappointing:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Not even making it to 1,400 concurrent players yesterday or today! Even FEAR 2 beat that...Alien vs. Predator beat that (both of them are Steamworks games).

Bi50n - here's wishing the best for you guys, I hope I'm wrong about this!!

Chris R

Game needs to sell better so the devs will make a PC Demo (so I can try it out to decide if I want to buy it or not).

The turret section is so broken. I haven't rage quit in a while. Having to replay a level just so I can get a better checkpoint on the last leg of the level is bad game design.

Alright on chapter 3 (does anyone know how many there are? ) and I freaking think its fantastic. More people need to play this! Excellent mood and graphics. Aiming seems little different but fine once you adjust. The story is all over the place aka "What the fuck is going on?" MUST...PLAY...MORE!

dLMN8R said:
Not even making it to 1,400 concurrent players yesterday or today! Even FEAR 2 beat that...Alien vs. Predator beat that (both of them are Steamworks games).

Ouch. Of course, it's a (not terribly long) single-player game from a suspect publisher and unknown developer that is selling at full price. Throw in a release date that's rubbing shoulders with Dragon Age and C&C, and it had the deck stacked against them. Hopefully it is the sort of game that will pick up steam after a price drop or weekend sale.

Playing the 360 version here, started on Hardcore mode. Only played it a little and I think I'm at Chapter 3 so far.

The only problems I've had so far are:
-Weird little character glitches during cutscenes or scripted events where they kind of move from one place to another without any transition (minor point I know)
-Some of the animation is off especially considering some of it is really good

Everything else has been pretty much amazing so far. The graphics are some of the best and the atmosphere, oh god, the atmosphere in this game has gotten me killed many, many times. Sometimes I just stand around and look at the everything around me, while the enemies are attacking, just because I might miss something. I also have to say, I don't have any problems with the controls or the monsters so far.

Kapwan

Neo Member
The buzz this game has going for it is really surprising. Its doing much better in the gaming press than I expected. I intend to pick this up for 360 once I finish God of War 3 and Yakuza 3.

I think I'll play the game in Russian with English subs though to avoid the spotty accents I've heard about.

Dennis

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok this is a newbish question but how do I switch from my golden bullets to my average bullets? Playing 360 version btw.
You press the RS button when armed with the weapon.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
luka said:
Safest way is a throwing knife to the back. Instant kill no matter what they're wearing.

For real? Son of a bitch, I wish I knew that earlier.

Liberty4all

Banned
Our review at MSXBOX-WORLD is done, I'm just waiting for it to get posted. Suffice to say it Blake gave the game a 9.5 out of 10 which surprised even me. Will link once it goes live.

Dennis

Banned
Bamelin said:
Our review at MSXBOX-WORLD is done, I'm just waiting for it to get posted. Suffice to say it Blake gave the game a 9.5 out of 10 which surprised even me. Will link once it goes live.
niiiiice

dLMN8R said:
Thanks for all the impressions, everyone. The game looks amazing, that release trailer practically sealed the deal, and I will probably be buying this soon.

I'm just disappointed though...it seems like it's not selling well at all :-(

It's a Steamworks game, which means that every single copy sold - whether through Steam or at Retail - is tracked through the Steam Stats web site. Unless I'm missing something, or don't full understand how the Stats page works, the concurrent numbers for Metro 2033 have been thoroughly disappointing:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Bi50n - here's wishing the best for you guys, I hope I'm wrong about this!!

It isn't even out in Europe yet and the concurrent number of players is always lower for single player games, significantly so.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
It's been a top seller on Steam for a while now, so lets hope that helps these guys out a bit.

adelante

Had my first hour with the game last night and good GOD, this is by far the most technically impressive game on the 360. Didn't even venture far as I was in total awe with the lighting the whole time; even got a little flustered when the first npc you paired up with kept repeating instructions...hargh! :lol

So many different light sources can be found in a single scene, with shadows being cast by the dominant lighting within that area. But your torch casts another set of shadows as well...an effect not unlike the indoor areas of Resistance (except that in Metro's case, the effect carries over when you use the torch in outdoor settings as well....impressive).

The environments just oozes nuances and detail, from posters lining up walls..to carpeted floors. The hospital area showed off some neat translucency effects too; the glow of each lamp in a ward can be seen permeating through the curtain wall (though it might be just the glow effect rendered separately and not actual translucency at work here but the attention to detail is still impressive nonetheless)

As far as the main gameplay mechanic goes, I'm not disappointed one bit. Shooting feels alright but then again I've always been comfortable with any fps on consoles. Can't wait to soak up more the story and atmosphere later tonight :D

adelante

Neuromancer said:
Hey Im going to start the game soon. What difficulty do you guys recommend? Does normal really seem normal?
I started out on hardcore, and it felt easy? :lol That's probably cos I haven't engaged any human enemies yet...

But I hear you can dial down the difficulty at any time, so why not give hardcore a go then :D

Rur0ni

Gotten a bit further. Getting more
super natural. The tunnels full of shadows and shit. I just blew up some something, and had to run with my hands cuffed shortly after. heh
. Turned down details from Very High to High. I want Very High back, but my GPU needs moar power. I'm certain to replay this once I get a GTX 480/470.

dLMN8R

brain_stew said:
It isn't even out in Europe yet and the concurrent number of players is always lower for single player games, significantly so.
ohhhh I thought the European release was the day before the North American release. My mistake then :)

DennisK4 said:
You press the RS button when armed with the weapon.

When I do this it just turns the flashlight on. So I'm confused. When I select the automatic weapon it clearly shows I have the golden bullets and regular bullets.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Quick question guys, i have a 4870x2 ATI card, what display driver is the best right now. Ive heard nothing but problems with the 10 series and ive seen people prefer the 9x series, but there are a bunch of them so im not sure what to upgrade to.

timkunedo

slasher_thrasher21 said:
When I do this it just turns the flashlight on. So I'm confused. When I select the automatic weapon it clearly shows I have the golden bullets and regular bullets.

I'm pretty sure you hold down RB to switch between bullet types. Tap RB and it will reload, but you have to hold it down for a second for the switch to occur.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, I love the circular weapon selector... especially the tap Y to get knife. I guess I had the ability to set it this way all last night because it downloaded the title update, I just had no idea until reading about it here.

~Kinggi~ said:
Quick question guys, i have a 4870x2 ATI card, what display driver is the best right now. Ive heard nothing but problems with the 10 series and ive seen people prefer the 9x series, but there are a bunch of them so im not sure what to upgrade to.

10.3a just released, use that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
brain_stew said:
10.3a just released, use that.
10.3a is apparently wreaking havoc as they are betas right now, according to hardopc forum.

that's an exaggeration....but they still say there are bsod and flickering problems.

timkunedo said:
I'm pretty sure you hold down RB to switch between bullet types. Tap RB and it will reload, but you have to hold it down for a second for the switch to occur.

That did it, thanks! I think I'm nearing the end of chapter 5. Holy moly...
that ride in the mine cart was AWESOME!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
~Kinggi~ said:
10.3a is apparently wreaking havoc as they are betas right now, according to hardopc forum.

that's an exaggeration....but they still say there are bsod and flickering problems.

I'm using them now. Played a couple hours of M2033 and no problems. Might be placebo but they seem to have given me a slight performance boost as well. (4870x2)

Fact the entire 10 series drivers haven't given me a single issue. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Pumpkins

Does anyone else think this game is like...REALLY good?

Like ...Beyond all expectations?

That's how it is for me. I'm blown away each time I play it. Wow. Might be one of my favorite FPS games ever.

adelante

Pumpkins said:

That's how it is for me. I'm blown away each time I play it. Wow. Might be one of my favorite FPS games ever.
Same here....in the short time I spent with the game, it already felt like every nook and cranny was carefully crafted, every NPC thoughtfully placed with creating an immersive atmosphere in mind...

soldat7 said:
Oтлично!
er...yay? :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pumpkins said:

I do. I expected it to look good, but I had no idea it would be such a fun and intense game. I just left the Market and entered the surface with Bourbon and damn this game has some really spooky and tense moments.

On a side note, I bumped the resolution down to 1280x800 and now it runs great even in DX11 mode with everything maxed. The jaggies hurt compared to 1920x1200, but the extra atmosphere added from the DX11 effects make it worth it in my opinion.

I'm only playing about 30 minutes per night because I want to play Dragon Age Awakening, too, but damn this game is great.

Top Bottom