• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Dennis

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
When I do this it just turns the flashlight on. So I'm confused. When I select the automatic weapon it clearly shows I have the golden bullets and regular bullets.
Ooops, sorry, I meant the RB button.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just got to the "Black Station" and I'm kind of ready for it to end soon. The environments are really starting to feel samey. I guess that's what happens when most of the game takes place in Metro Stations that are pretty much all built the same way.

From what my buddy told me there is 7 chapters. I also made a mistake in a earleir post, I was at the end of chapter 4. I just finished chapter 5, that was intense! Two more chapters to go, I fucking love this game. Bravo!

x3sphere

Pumpkins said:
Does anyone else think this game is like...REALLY good?

Like ...Beyond all expectations?

That's how it is for me. I'm blown away each time I play it. Wow. Might be one of my favorite FPS games ever.

Fully agree. The atmosphere is nothing short of incredible. Already logged in 7 hours in and if it wasn't for work commitments I'd find it hard to stop playing. :D Have a feeling this will remain in my top 3 this year. I had the impression that it was Stalker on steroids at first but now I feel it's something much more special. IMO some of the combat sequences bring an unprecedented level of tension as far as single player experiences are concerned. I love all the little touches too.. like the helmet cracks and frost from the frigid weather conditions when outside.

Here's a gameplay video I've taken of the PC version fully maxed out, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_RcB91x2o

I'm in the UK and my copy should arrive today. Am I going to have to wait until midnight to play it? I work nights and have tonight off so it's not a huge deal I guess.

Max

I am not Max
Just finished the game, a little sad that its over. Definitely a surprise hit. I had no idea I would have enjoyed it this much.

Time for second playthrough.

x3sphere said:
Fully agree. The atmosphere is nothing short of incredible. Already logged in 7 hours in and if it wasn't for work commitments I'd find it hard to stop playing. :D Have a feeling this will remain in my top 3 this year. I had the impression that it was Stalker on steroids at first but now I feel it's something much more special. IMO some of the combat sequences bring an unprecedented level of tension as far as single player experiences are concerned. I love all the little touches too.. like the helmet cracks and frost from the frigid weather conditions when outside.

Here's a gameplay video I've taken of the PC version fully maxed out, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_RcB91x2o

Im a console gamer and these graphics make me want to cry ;_;

Pumpkins

Hey guys, is it possible to get the automatic shotgun with a bayonet? I know it has a secondary attack, but I'm wondering if there's a bayonet attachment as well...

Max

I am not Max
Pumpkins said:
Hey guys, is it possible to get the automatic shotgun with a bayonet? I know it has a secondary attack, but I'm wondering if there's a bayonet attachment as well...
Yeah its possible, I found it off a body but i'm pretty sure its available in a shop later on

Tokubetsu

One of the things I think works so well with the setting are the little bits of exploration in an area. It's always tense because not only are you scavenging from the dead to survive, you also have to worry about a monstor attacking that dark corridor off the linear path. You're often making those kinds of decisions. Do I take up his pneumatic weapon that I have quite a bit of ammo for or do I keep my shotgun with only 16 shells left? You pick up the former and hope you can stealth the next area.

ghostofsparta said:
Im a console gamer and these graphics make me want to cry ;_;

Well, the difference is obviously huge, but the atmosphere is so good that you'll soon fall in love with the game and the graphics even on 360.

Besides, the game on the xbox is arguably one of the best looking fps out there.

Far better than something like - say - Bioshock 2 or MW2 (which both got better marks in the graphic department by critics so far).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tokubetsu said:
One of the things I think works so well with the setting are the little bits of exploration in an area. It's always tense because not only are you scavenging from the dead to survive, you also have to worry about a monstor attacking that dark corridor off the linear path. You're often making those kinds of decisions. Do I take up his pneumatic weapon that I have quite a bit of ammo for or do I keep my shotgun with only 16 shells left? You pick up the former and hope you can stealth the next area.

The first time I went topside there was a lot of this. Tension was even thicker there though. I kept checking my watch to see how much air I had.

Jesus Christ this game is fucking tense. I just slowly asphyxiated over the course of several minutes as my oxygen tanks ran out and I couldn't find any new ones. The way your breathing gets more and more frantic, and your vision increasingly clouded, is pretty goddamn effective. After I died I just had to quit out of the game. I'll go back to it tomorrow or something.

Just finished it on 360. I really enjoyed it. It nails atmosphere pretty well. It also does well in framing itself using the fiction of the book. Am I the only one who felt dread fighting the librarians? And the end of that level, I had no ammo. At all. I was running low in filters too. First time one busted through a wall, I nearly shat myself. Well done A4.

Bi50N

Really enjoying reading everyone's impressions :D

Although I must have done over 10 complete playthroughs, and practiced / demo'd certain levels upwards of 100 times, I'm still getting the same enjoyment with my proper retail version playthrough (achievements FTW).

I'm STILL finding new stashes / Stalker camps but, despite going through Dead City with a fine comb, somehow managed to miss something, as the Ranger achievement is still unlocked.

On the other hand, extensive practice and judicious use of stealth has allowed me to max out my weapons and equipment by Outpost, meaning I have the Stealth suit, a silenced, scoped pistol with stock AND extended barrel, a scoped VSV and a scoped Helsing.

Strictly speaking I ought to have CC weapon rather than three scoped, but the VSV with it's red dot does fine at close quarters

Next Up: Black. Personal challenge to self: kill everyone using only knives...

Well, I just downloaded Metro from steam and when I try to launch it, the screen goes black and nothing ever happens. I hear sound but there is no video. I would just like to take this opportunity to say 'Fuck PC gaming'. Thank you and good night.

Feindflug

I just pre-ordered the CE PAL edition (pics tomorrow).

BTW I have a question, I've read in another forum that the game in the 360 version has a lot of tearing and frame-drops...is that true or he was full of BS? I was surprised because none of the reviews so far or any other dude here said something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Feindflug said:

BTW I have a question, I've read in another forum that the game in the 360 version has a lot of tearing and frame-drops...is that true or he was full of BS? I was surprised because none of the reviews so far or any other dude here said something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Played the first two hours or so, and saw no screen tearing nor signs of frames getting lost. There's just something weird sometimes with certain animations.

Trent Strong said:
Well, I just downloaded Metro from steam and when I try to launch it, the screen goes black and nothing ever happens. I hear sound but there is no video. I would just like to take this opportunity to say 'Fuck PC gaming'. Thank you and good night.

Have 2 monitors hooked up? It's probably being displayed on your second monitor.

I've just finished a 2 hour session and I'll say I'm pretty damned impressed. They nailed the double barrel shotgun, other developers may as well stop trying! Atmosphere is outstanding and performance is great!

Ricker

I hope the next area has some gas masks to find and health kits hehe,going into chapter 5,I believe now,and in that small camp,after finally making it through chapter 3,4,which where awesome,I must of used all types of bullets or something because I have a grand total of 7 bullets left,so I can`t buy anything and i`m pretty much out of everything...no more gas masks refills and I think 2 health kits.I have 10 of those liitle arrow looking things that I have no clue what to do in that menu that has a bullet,with an arrow pointing to another bullet...so I might have to restart level 3 and 4...i`ll see how it goes after I come out of that train into chapter 5.

Feindflug said:

Thanks in advance.

Nothing stopping enjoying the game,occasional screen tearing but the lighting is so awesome and the graphics are awesome,I don`t mind the slight screen tearing..no huge frame dips as well.

Feindflug

metareferential said:
Played the first two hours or so, and saw no screen tearing nor signs of frames getting lost. There's just something weird sometimes with certain animations.

Ricker said:
Nothing stopping enjoying the game,occasional screen tearing but the lighting is so awesome and the graphics are awesome,I don`t mind the slight screen tearing..no huge frame dips as well.

Sounds good enough, it doesn't sound something gamebreaking so it's fine by me - the other impressions I read sound like the game had serious problem with tearing and drops...BS indeed.

Thanks guys. :)

Ricker

Feindflug said:
Sounds good enough, it doesn't sound something gamebreaking so it's fine by me - the other impressions I read sound like the game had serious problem with tearing and drops...BS indeed.

Thanks guys. :)

Forgot to mention that I installed the game on the HDD,most of the time this doesn`t really do any difference frame rate and screen tearing wise,but just in case.

EagleEyes

I was able to find all the Ranger stashes the first time through Dead City. That was quite shocking since I am never able to find all the collectibles in other games lol. The game itself so far has been amazing. Such a shame THQ didn't put more marketing muscle behind it.

Ricker said:
Forgot to mention that I installed the game on the HDD,most of the time this doesn`t really do any difference frame rate and screen tearing wise,but just in case.
Me too, for reference.

I always install games on the hdd. The drive spinning noise kills me.

So yesterday I was out sick, I had to run into town and get some medicine... I decided on my trip out I was going to trade in Uncharted 2 and Dynasty Warriors Strike Force. I then ended up getting Metro with that. Now this is in no way to say Metro is better then...(insert game here) but I popped Metro in instead of resuming God of War 3 and I just couldn't put it down. 7 hours later and I was on to chapter 6. This game has me by the balls and I can't wait to see what the DLC is... I'm praying it will be for an expansion! My goal today is to finish it up and get to the end. My buddy says the last twenty minutes of the game was EPIC as hell.

Also I'm hearing that there is a secret ending that requires multiple objectives to be performed. Wonder what the differences are.

How long is the game roughly? I'm considering doing an all-day session tomorrow, and was wondering if it was possible to finish in a time span of 8 hours or so?

Vinterbird said:
How long is the game roughly? I'm considering doing an all-day session tomorrow, and was wondering if it was possible to finish in a time span of 8 hours or so?

You will get close. I got to chapter 6 in about that ammount of time, there is 7 chapters and I hear 7 is pretty short. So add another hour or two onto that time and you should be good to go!

DO IT! You won't want to stop anyways.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Vinterbird said:

I would guess yes as according to Steam I have 4 hours played and I'm at the very end of Chapter 4 out of 7. A good 30 minutes of that 4 hours was just tweak testing in the opening.

Ricker

Might take me a long time to finish this game on normal hehe...I thought I was in chapter 5 but no,i`m the middle of chapter 4,and I can`t beat that part yet,the ennemies are sponges,probably because I have the cheapest bullets,but some can see me a mile away...I tried knife throwing but some don`t go down with one knife and as soon as one is alerted all hell breaks loose and I die pretty fast.

anyone have any comments on how viable stealth is in the game? review mentioned its great but at times AI can see you for no apparent reason

My copy just arrived and it came with a free copy of Red Faction: Guerilla! :D

So anyone in the UK, go ahead and order from here and you'll get both Metro and Red Faction for just £21.50, that's a heck of a deal:

http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/51880-metro-2033--the-last-refuge--for-pc

I already own it of course but its a real nice freebie to give to my brother or sell for a little extra cash and considering how bloody awesome Red Faction is, UK based PC gamers need to snap this deal up .

Edit: Steam won't let me install it yet! :(

Got to wait till midnight I guess. Stupidly I can't preload from the disc I have right here but can by downloading ~7GB. I have unlimited bandwidth so its no big deal but its bloddy stupid either way

Bi50N

cleveridea said:
anyone have any comments on how viable stealth is in the game? review mentioned its great but at times AI can see you for no apparent reason

AI also uses sound to detect you. You make a noise when moving, unless crouched or with Stealth suit equipped

Even if your light meter shows 'Green' , some human enemies use Night Vision sets, and you can still be illuminated by head torches

In fact, the head torches of downed enemies will continue to create light hazards, unless you shoot them out...

Mutants use sound and smell to track you down, so stealth is really limited to human AI encounters, but so long as you are aware of all the potential risks, a stealth approach usually pays massive dividends.

To give you an idea - both the levels Black an Frontline have achievements for beating them without killing anyone, but it's perfectly possible to complete these levels without ever being detected, let alone fired upon!

brain_stew said:
My copy just arrived and it came with a free copy of Red Faction: Guerilla! :D

So anyone in the UK, go ahead and order from here and you'll get both Metro and Red Faction for just £21.50, that's a heck of a deal:

http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/51880-metro-2033--the-last-refuge--for-pc

I already own it of course but its a real nice freebie to give to my brother or sell for a little extra cash and considering how bloody awesome Red Faction is, UK based PC gamers need to snap this deal up .

Edit: Steam won't let me install it yet! :(

Got to wait till midnight I guess. Stupidly I can't preload from the disc I have right here but can by downloading ~7GB. I have unlimited bandwidth so its no big deal but its bloddy stupid either way

Yeah I was pretty gutted to find that I can't play it yet. I guess that's one downside to Steamworks titles if you get them early.

I also didn't realise that I'd get a hard copy of RF:G, I assumed it was a Steam only thing.

One thing that sucks though. I got the limited edition from Game.co.uk and the cardboard sleeve has a big purple "ONLY AT GAME" picture on the right. I could deal with it if it was a sticker, but to have it actually printed on the cardboard is completely insane.

Just bit the bullet and pre-ordered this on 360 for UK release tomorrow. Was going to cut back after getting BC2 and FFXIII this month, but the draw of russian horror is just too strong :lol

Really, really looking forward to playing this now.

Ricker

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ohhh where is said stealth suit?

I think there is one at the start,or in the little camp in the middle of Chapter 4 but I had a grand total of 7 bullets when I got there so yeah,I think it sells for 100 bullets,or 10 of the good bullets,not sure,the whole trading and menu/screens for that still confuses me in this game :lol

Ricker said:
I think there is one at the start,or in the little camp in the middle of Chapter 4 but I had a grand total of 7 bullets when I got there so yeah,I think it sells for 100 bullets,or 10 of the good bullets,not sure,the whole trading and menu/screens for that still confuses me in this game :lol

Yeah I saw a armor vest I believe but I didnt have nearly enough to buy it! :( Def will be replaying this though. Its been a blast!

Great game. Only real complaint so far is doing Russian voices with English subtitles doesn't work out so hot. Other than what was required for the story, it seems like 4A didn't have the time or resources to do subtitles for anything else. So an example I'd give is you're in a hallway and some dude's talking right to you, but you have no idea what he's saying. =\

Pumpkins

WOW @ where the story is going... This game just keeps getting more and more awesome.

Just got to cursed station, so I'm referring to the conversation that happened before that.

Top Bottom