• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

For those of you without cutting edge rigs trying to decide between the PC and 360 version, you may want to take a look at this post:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1409415&postcount=288

It compares the various PC quality levels against the 360 version. The 360 version appears to be running something roughly equivalent to low PC settings. At a guess it may use some of the effects from the higher quality levels but texture and shadow resolution definitely seems to be higher in the PC version, even at low settings. Its a little inconclusive but that assessment seems fairly accurate.

So, for those worried about performance, don't be, just lower those settings and it'll run on some very mediocre rigs and still look better than most modern PC releases. The very high and DX11 settings seem to be capable of putting any rig through their paces but they're purely optional extras, nothing more.

Dennis

Banned
WTF?

A prostitute and her father or something stole all my military grade bullets (my money!) - am I going to get them back or are they gone for good? - I am broke now!

Bi50N

DennisK4 said:
WTF?

A prostitute and her father or something stole all my military grade bullets (my money!) - am I going to get them back or are they gone for good? - I am broke now!

If you want to see your money again, you might want to reload that level. And thank your lucky stars it's a game, not real life :D

Dennis

Banned
Bi50N said:
If you want to see your money again, you might want to reload that level. And thank your lucky stars it's a game, not real life :D
I didn't know she was a prostitute, I thought she was just down on her luck, you know - trying to help her out is all....honest :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sooo....I'm thinking about purchasing Metro (360) this weekend, I really like the concept but I'm a little weary due to how little I know about it, I really wish there was a demo.
Question: Is this game fairly linear and story focused or is it open ended and good for exploration? Also, how much playtime (roughly) can I get out of this?
I'm just curious about these things because I don't wanna drop $60 on it if it's only a 10 hour game.

Snuggler said:
Sooo....I'm thinking about purchasing Metro (360) this weekend, I really like the concept but I'm a little weary due to how little I know about it, I really wish there was a demo.
Question: Is this game fairly linear and story focused or is it open ended and good for exploration? Also, how much playtime (roughly) can I get out of this?
I'm just curious about these things because I don't wanna drop $60 on it if it's only a 10 hour game.

Both questions have been answered 100 times in this thread.

It's extremely linear with brief bouts of off-the-beaten-path exploration and a playthrough will probably clock in at 8-12 hours.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Snuggler said:

If that's how you feel, I would definitely wait till this game is 30$. There's no multiplayer so playing it a couple months down the road isn't going to ruin the experience.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks for the answers. I guess I should wait for a price drop, I could be wrong but it might not sell that well on the 360 so it probably won't be that long until the price is reduced.

DennisK4 said:
WTF?

Those DICKHOLES! The game should have let you at least rectify it. Oh well I made my choice and I stuck with it. :(

Ricker

DennisK4 said:
WTF?

Reload hehe,I did the same thing but there`s no way I was losing the bullets so early,I always had a weakness for fishnets ;P :D

Amneisac

I'm really trying to like this game. I was so excited for it before launch, I just can't get into it! It has the same problem a lot of other "stealth" games have whether the enemy stealth detection seems buggy. I feel there are times where I should be perfectly hidden (green light on the watch) and the enemies find me anyways. Also just in general firefight situations the enemies have no problem seeing me in the dark after I've been "detected" even though it's really hard for me to see them out there in the dark.

I also don't like the way the guns feel. It's like there isn't enough feedback on whether I'm hitting my target or not. It takes too many bullets to kill the enemies (yeah I'm going for headshots) and I hate fighting the rat monsters. The AI has also been pulling plenty of boneheaded moves, the only real challenge is their dead aim and perfect nightvision, which is frustrating.

I don't know, I'll keep playing but I don't even really like the story all that much so far. I'm about 3 hours in on the xbox 360 version. I'm not out to invalidate anyone's opinion who likes the game, and like I say, I want to like it. I just needed to voice my disappointment so far.

Edited to add: I tried playing a little more, this just isn't clicking with me. I think I'm going to go ahead and sell this soon while it's still worth something. I never sell or trade-in games (just Fable II on 360 so far!), but this just hits too many nerves with gameplay elements I don't like. I think this is 100% a PC game that has been ported to the 360. It has that old school constant quick save / quick load feel to it. I also feel like I need the precision of the mouse / keyboard since the ammo is currency and it takes so many bullets to kill enemies. Oh, well, good luck guys, this one just wasn't for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I reformatted my machine yesterday (steam is on a different drive), booted up M2033 to find that all my progress (just left polis station) is gone. D:
I was under the impression that steam cloud maintained your saves? Between that and the AvP mixup that deleted my local saves when the servers went back up I have been having a very poor experience with the cloud so far.

Tokubetsu

luka said:
I reformatted my machine yesterday (steam is on a different drive), booted up M2033 to find that all my progress (just left polis station) is gone. D:
I was under the impression that steam cloud maintained your saves? Between that and the AvP mixup that deleted my local saves when the servers went back up I have been having a very poor experience with the cloud so far.

Might have something to do with config files in appdata folder? I know some games like to save information in documents and other folders and aren't relegated to just the steamapps folder. It might have lost your "profile" so it can't grab your save info.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Tokubetsu said:
Might have something to do with config files in appdata folder? I know some games like to save information in documents and other folders and aren't relegated to just the steamapps folder. It might have lost your "profile" so it can't grab your save info.

That seems like a really hokey way of managing saves/configs since it kind of defeats the purpose of having a cloud in the first place. :|

Druz

Amneisac said:
I'm really trying to like this game. I was so excited for it before launch, I just can't get into it! It has the same problem a lot of other "stealth" games have whether the enemy stealth detection seems buggy. I feel there are times where I should be perfectly hidden (green light on the watch) and the enemies find me anyways. Also just in general firefight situations the enemies have no problem seeing me in the dark after I've been "detected" even though it's really hard for me to see them out there in the dark.

I also don't like the way the guns feel. It's like there isn't enough feedback on whether I'm hitting my target or not. It takes too many bullets to kill the enemies (yeah I'm going for headshots) and I hate fighting the rat monsters. The AI has also been pulling plenty of boneheaded moves, the only real challenge is their dead aim and perfect nightvision, which is frustrating.

I don't know, I'll keep playing but I don't even really like the story all that much so far. I'm about 3 hours in on the xbox 360 version. I'm not out to invalidate anyone's opinion who likes the game, and like I say, I want to like it. I just needed to voice my disappointment so far.

Edited to add: I tried playing a little more, this just isn't clicking with me. I think I'm going to go ahead and sell this soon while it's still worth something. I never sell or trade-in games (just Fable II on 360 so far!), but this just hits too many nerves with gameplay elements I don't like. I think this is 100% a PC game that has been ported to the 360. It has that old school constant quick save / quick load feel to it. I also feel like I need the precision of the mouse / keyboard since the ammo is currency and it takes so many bullets to kill enemies. Oh, well, good luck guys, this one just wasn't for me.

Game doesn't have quicksave or load in the PC version... so....

I screwed something up in the last level. If I reload the entire level back, will all my ammo and all be reset back to 0 or will they be back at what I was when I was playing that level?

Max

I am not Max
sweetvar26 said:
I screwed something up in the last level. If I reload the entire level back, will all my ammo and all be reset back to 0 or will they be back at what I was when I was playing that level?
You'll still have everything you had when you reached that checkpoint. The game saves each checkpoint and keeps them individually for you to select at any time.

wormstrangler said:
Have 2 monitors hooked up? It's probably being displayed on your second monitor.

I've just finished a 2 hour session and I'll say I'm pretty damned impressed. They nailed the double barrel shotgun, other developers may as well stop trying! Atmosphere is outstanding and performance is great!

Dual monitors was the problem! Although it didn't display on either. Thanks.

fernoca

Playing this in russian with english subtitles..it adds to the experience so much...+ Artyom breathing through the mask + dark or barely lit areas + no HUD = So awesome. [Xbox 360 version]

Oh and it looks great too!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Loving this game so far. Just got to Dead City. Graphics are insane.

metro20332010-03-1900-059x.png

metro20332010-03-1900-6529.png

I was surprised this doesn't run half bad on my modest rig. I've got a stock Q6600, 4 gigs of ram and an asus 4870. I've got the game set to very high quality (dx10) and for the most part it runs very smoothy. It dips a little in combat and with crazy lighting stuff. but this game dips very gently :D, it doesn't become an unplayable mess at lower frame rates.

Fantastic engine.

elwes

I'm still on the fence about buying this.

Not that I'm seriously hurting in the money department, but I've bought alot of games as of late that I still have yet to either play or beat. Everything I've seen/read/heard about this makes it seem like a blast, but I seriously struggle with games that purposefully oppress the player with depressing environments. I loved Fallout 3, but the overall tone of the game turned me off at times. Same thing goes with Dead Space. There's just something about games that make you feel vulnerable and isolated from human (NPC) contact that get under my skin and make me really uneasy.

I really appreciate a game's ability to do this, though, and I'm inexplicably drawn to the dark, creepy, hopelessness that games like this bring to the table.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

elwes

Totobeni said:
are there any screens comparison between Xbox 360 version and PC version on normal /low/high setting ?

First post at the top of this page:

brain_stew said:
For those of you without cutting edge rigs trying to decide between the PC and 360 version, you may want to take a look at this post:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1409415&postcount=288

It compares the various PC quality levels against the 360 version. The 360 version appears to be running something roughly equivalent to low PC settings. At a guess it may use some of the effects from the higher quality levels but texture and shadow resolution definitely seems to be higher in the PC version, even at low settings. Its a little inconclusive but that assessment seems fairly accurate.

So, for those worried about performance, don't be, just lower those settings and it'll run on some very mediocre rigs and still look better than most modern PC releases. The very high and DX11 settings seem to be capable of putting any rig through their paces but they're purely optional extras, nothing more.

fernoca said:
Playing this in russian with english subtitles..it adds to the experience so much...+ Artyom breathing through the mask + dark or barely lit areas + no HUD = So awesome. [Xbox 360 version]

Oh and it looks great too!

I tried playing in Russian, but sometimes I was trying to read the subs, fight mutants and/or read a tool tip or some other important bit. I've switched it back to english. The english VA seems fine.

Ricker

Amneisac said:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly...I love the atmosphere and all but if I can`t beat the middle of chapter 4 today again,either I bring it down to easy to see the rest of the game or i`m done with it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Trent Strong said:
This game reminds me a lot of Stalker. Except for the thick accents, which remind me a lot of Heavy Rain.
I believe some of the people working at 4A originally worked on STALKER. I don't believe they really feel all that similar, though. Perhaps the atmosphere is similar, but the gameplay itself is very different. Metro is a close quarters, linear first person shooter while STALKER is almost more of an RPG in a fairly open world.

EagleEyes

The more I play this game the more amazing it is. I just can't believe how good it is. For a first time console dev they really nailed the controls and the aiming, things that known devs still can't get right on consoles. The atmosphere is so thick that most of the time you are sitting on the edge of your seat. Loving it so far. Bravo 4A.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Hmm. Maybe I ought to buy the PC-version of Metro 2033. I think my computer should be able to handle it, at least on medium settings.

itsinmyveins

Someone just told me there's been a lot of issues with the PC-version, is that true and how much is "a lot"?

dyergram

This game has totally sucked me in I love it. Runs quite nice on my QC/5850 some of the most intense gameplay this gen I think they got the pacing just right the game seems real varied as well.

fizzelopeguss said:
Xbox is Probably the "normal" setting

Certainly doesn't look like it in terms of shadows and texture quality judging from what I've seen. It may have a few effects from the higher settings but those two aspects appear below PC low quality if anything.

itsinmyveins said:
Hmm. Maybe I ought to buy the PC-version of Metro 2033. I think my computer should be able to handle it, at least on medium settings.

Specs?

The medium settings really aren't all that demanding, though they still look great. Very high is pretty much the hallmark for PC games from here on out, and they run fine on my GTX 260 @ 1360x768 apart from when there's heavy volumetric lighting.

EagleEyes

dyergram said:
This game has totally sucked me in I love it. Runs quite nice on my QC/5850 some of the most intense gameplay this gen I think they got the pacing just right the game seems real varied as well.
Agreed. I just can't believe this game is not getting more attention. It so deserves it.

itsinmyveins

brain_stew said:
Specs?

The medium settings really aren't all that demanding, though they still look great. Very high is pretty much the hallmark for PC games from here on out, and they run fine on my GTX 260 @ 1360x768 apart from when there's heavy volumetric lighting.

I don't know exactly, I think I've got a 9800GTX+ card, 2-4 GB Ram, windows 7, some type of intel cpu. I can run Crysis on high settings (iirc) and Far Cry 2 ran well on it with very high settings.

EDIT: I'm more worried about the game having a lot of issues. I remember buying Frontlines during some sale on steam and it's pretty much unplayable for me.

Ricker said:
Pretty much my thoughts exactly...I love the atmosphere and all but if I can`t beat the middle of chapter 4 today again,either I bring it down to easy to see the rest of the game or i`m done with it.

Move it down to easy and then put it back up after you get past the part. I'm pretty sure you might be in the area I had to do that at. BTW no difficulty achievements so you wont screw yourself over.

itsinmyveins said:
I don't know exactly, I think I've got a 9800GTX+ card, 2-4 GB Ram, windows 7, some type of intel cpu. I can run Crysis on high settings (iirc) and Far Cry 2 ran well on it with very high settings.

EDIT: I'm more worried about the game having a lot of issues. I remember buying Frontlines during some sale on steam and it's pretty much unplayable for me.

Should be fine on medium settings then. They only major issues people flagged was the black screen/widescreen problem, but they were patched within a day.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Guys we have a technical thread, please keep that discussion out of this.

Ricker said:
I love the atmosphere and all but if I can`t beat the middle of chapter 4 today again,either I bring it down to easy to see the rest of the game or i`m done with it.

I heard there were some difficult scenes in the game so I just started the game on easy and never looked back. I don't play games to make myself frustrated, I play them for fun. Anyways, this game is all about atmosphere and combat is second to that (it's pretty unsatisfying in my opinion). Even on easy I was about to rage on this segment in the turret rail car segment. Who thought it was a good idea to make you have to rotate the turret with the movement keys/stick?

Tokubetsu said:
Cool thing I just noticed: The time on your watch seems to be whatever your pc time is set at.

That is an awesome detail.

RS4-

I appear to be stuck. At the abandoned station after you crawl through a pipe where
Pavel dies.

I follow the compass to the back stairs where I can hear music coming from one part of a wall where it looks like a door but isn't.

Any ideas?

eXistor

I've been playing it a bit these last few days, but unfortunately, I'm not really sold on the game. The graphics and atmosphere are nice, but the sounddesign is just terrible. They couldn't have used more clichéd soundeffects. I mean that "Thwack!", or punch sound are seemingly the same used in cartoons for decades. Even that unbelievably hackneyed "laughing children" soundeffect is used here. Sounds sound muffled and distant, I know I'm wearing a gasmask half the time, but it really detracts from the impact the gunshots and monster growls should have.

Also for a linear game such as this they do a terrible job of pointing the player in the right direction, so level design could have defintely used some work. I'm playing on PC but I switched to my 360 controller pretty quickly. For some reason I find the keyboard + mouse combo to be very, I dunno...off.

As I said, the all-important atmosphere is pretty good and all in all the game is pretty solid, but it seems a fairly unremarkable effort. Maybe the levels later on will make me change my opinion of it, but so far, it's nothing more than decent.

eXistor said:
I've been playing it a bit these last few days, but unfortunately, I'm not really sold on the game. The graphics and atmosphere are nice, but the sounddesign is just terrible. They couldn't have used more clichéd soundeffects. I mean that "Thwack!", or punch sound are seemingly the same used in cartoons for decades. Even that unbelievably hackneyed "laughing children" soundeffect is used here. Sounds sound muffled and distant, I know I'm wearing a gasmask half the time, but it really detracts from the impact the gunshots and monster growls should have.

Also for a linear game such as this they do a terrible job of pointing the player in the right direction, so level design could have defintely used some work. I'm playing on PC but I switched to my 360 controller pretty quickly. For some reason I find the keyboard + mouse combo to be very, I dunno...off.

As I said, the all-important atmosphere is pretty good and all in all the game is pretty solid, but it seems a fairly unremarkable effort. Maybe the levels later on will make me change my opinion of it, but so far, it's nothing more than decent.

There's an arrow on your watch that literally points you in the right direction.

Top Bottom