• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Minsc

Gold Member
big_z said:
are there any pictures that show the difference between high and very high settings?

with the new beta nvidia drivers i can run the game mostly playable on very high but high runs quite a bit better but i cant tell what im missing.

Pictures aren't going to do it much justice, in motion the game will look a lot nicer. I'd suggest just starting a new game, and playing it very high through the beginning first 4 or 5 minutes, right until after you get outdoors and assualted, then restart the beginning on just high and replay the same 4 or 5 minutes. The differences were huge to me, but if you don't see anything too big, I'd consider yourself lucky and just enjoy the framerate boost!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Warm Machine said:
I guessed that but it made the dialogue in that part really hard to hear. I running it with a 5.1 surround system too, I wonder if the regular stereo mix makes it better.

Just run away from him. When I first got outside I bolted for it and all I heard was him on the radio because he was just walking back there. Then I walked back and I heard his actual voice become louder and louder. It was a pretty neat effect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is playing this game in any way a proxy for playing Stalker? I ask this somewhat annoying question because I have wanted to play Stalker for, like, 100 years. When it went on sale on Steam for $5, I bought it. I tried to run it and my PC just could not. Would playing this kinda approximate the experience?

Slo

Y2Kev said:
Is playing this game in any way a proxy for playing Stalker? I ask this somewhat annoying question because I have wanted to play Stalker for, like, 100 years. When it went on sale on Steam for $5, I bought it. I tried to run it and my PC just could not. Would playing this kinda approximate the experience?

Not at all. Stalker is an open world game. This is a linear shooter. The only commonality is the bad Russian accent.

Saya

I think I will start this tonight. How hard is hardcore? Would that be ok for a first run of the game or is it too hard?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Slo said:
Not at all. Stalker is an open world game. This is a linear shooter. The only commonality is the bad Russian accent.
Damn. Well maybe the bad Russian accent will be enough. ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Saya said:
I think I will start this tonight. How hard is hardcore? Would that be ok for a first run of the game or is it too hard?

Don't bother, play on normal or easy. The combat isn't rewarding and some creatures later in the game take multiple clips on easy which is fucking tedious and ridiculous. Also, there is a turret section that will make you rage. This game is all about the atmosphere, not the fights.

kamspy

Y2Kev said:

This would approximate one really bad ass mission in STALKER.

But much more focused and polished. It will give you an idea for how unforgiving STALKER is.

Dennis

Banned
Y2Kev said:
The STALKER games are significantly more hardcore.

timkunedo

i just purchased the stealth suit and finally have nvgs. The game just went from awesome to holy **** awesome. This game is really making me want to finish up call of pripyat.

Pumpkins said:
Not sure if this has been posted or not...

IGN's review: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1078872p1.html

They gave it a

Not that many of us liked IGN to begin with...

That's about what I'd give it. I might go a tad higher though.

I'm just...bored. The only thing that's really keeping me playing are the
hallucination/flashback
sequences which are incredibly well done and the fact that the shotgun is fucking badass.

I'm also playing on normal and the game is very easy thus far (just finished first section of chapter 4). I have 1000+ rounds of regular rifle ammo, 300+ shotgun shells, 400+ of cash/golden ammo, etc and see no need to trade in shells/buy anything at any of the shops other than the occasional pack of filters. I use my pistol/knives against humans, shotgun against monsters and they all go down in a couple shots max.

Graphics are serviceable but unimpressive other than some of the lighting, the sound is pretty awesome throughout, enemies are really lame...even the human fights are starting to grind on me.

I think it's biggest problem is that it's linear to a fault. So far, the game is bunch of tunnels --> bandit base --> more tunnels --> small trek outdoors --> tunnels --> bandit base. Meh, if you're gonna feed me the same environments and scenarios time and time again, spice them up with some setpieces or different visual flare in each area.

I guess I was expecting this to be Killzone 2 mixed with Fallout 3, but all it's doing is making me want to play those games instead.

Deadly

Just finished the game. The ending is eh.. sorta confusing. Are there multiple endings depending on if you kill everyone during the game or pass them by stealth?

Pumpkins

The Interrobanger said:
I guess I was expecting this to be Killzone 2 mixed with Fallout 3, but all it's doing is making me want to play those games instead.

...What? Did you look at any previews for the game before you purchased? While it's entirely its own game, I feel there was influence from Half-Life 2, and perhaps Fallout 3 as well (but that's not taking into account that this game was based on a novel).

I guess if you go into it expecting it to be another game then of course you're going to be somewhat disappointed.

Pumpkins said:
...What? Did you look at any previews for the game before you purchased? While it's entirely its own game, I feel there was influence from Half-Life 2, and perhaps Fallout 3 as well (but that's not taking into account that this game was based on a novel).

I guess if you go into it expecting it to be another game then of course you're going to be somewhat disappointed.

I tried to minimize my exposure to the game before release so I could have maximum "wow factor" when playing. The game reads like it could be one of my favorite games of all time: a FPS with a post apocalyptic storyline/settings that is just dripping with atmosphere? Awesome guns and sound design? Great graphics, AI and stealthy gameplay elements? Where the fuck do I sign?

There's nothing from Half-Life 2 here. It's like a more refined version of Fallout 3's subway stations with a story.

Pumpkins

The Interrobanger said:
I tried to minimize my exposure to the game before release so I could have maximum "wow factor" when playing. The game reads like it could be one of my favorite games of all time: a FPS with a post apocalyptic storyline/settings that is just dripping with atmosphere? Awesome guns and sound design? Great graphics, AI and stealthy gameplay elements? Where the fuck do I sign?

There's nothing from Half-Life 2 here. It's like a more refined version of Fallout 3's subway stations with a story.

Hmm, I dunno man, it feels that way to me. :lol

"The bastard" is seriously one of my favorite fictional guns ever. Not only is the name hilarious, I love how the ammo cartridge thing goes from left to right like a type writer.

I can see your point about Half-Life 2, but they often try to not take you out of the experience similar to HL2... There are a few cutscenes, but not too many. Most of the events are in real time. What I mean is, the narrative is often in real-time.

Just started this and I'm really loving it. The atmosphere and attention to immersive detail is fantastic. I think my main problem right now is that I'm playing too slowly, exploring every nook and cranny (and finding $ shells doing it!) Graphics are definitely up there with the best on consoles, and arguably the best lighting engine out now on the 360.

The firefights so far are pretty brutal feeling too. Can't wait to play more!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So, have anyone bought some new guns
on the market after the first trip with Bourbon
? I decided to spend everything on gas filters, bullets and then save some pre-war bullets for the next stop.

Actually I don't see any problems with shooting (and I play it with a gamepad). You should move deliberately from cover to cover and put only short bursts in enemies. And knife is pretty useful against simple mutants.

Also use stealth. It works even with mutants.

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it all the way through, a bit short though (took me 7.7 hours to beat according to steam)
And holy shit, its a Russian game with an ending that doesn't suck.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im having a problem right now with this game that is causing all the videos to play back at slow motion, which causers the game to hangup after completing the first section. Im really fucking pissed cause this shitty release has pretty much taken up the last 2 hours of me installing service packs and direct x versions and computer restarts just to play the fucking thing.

I have a 4870x2 with 10.1 ati drivers, DX 11 installed with Vista SP 2.

leng jai

What the hell is going on in this thread? Some people are saying the graphics are amazing and others "just okay". Same deal with the audio, amazing versus crap.

~Kinggi~ said:
Im having a problem right now with this game that is causing all the videos to play back at slow motion, which causers the game to hangup after completing the first section. Im really fucking pissed cause this shitty release has pretty much taken up the last 2 hours of me installing service packs and direct x versions and computer restarts just to play the fucking thing.

I have a 4870x2 with 10.1 ati drivers, DX 11 installed with Vista SP 2.
Wait, the 4870 supports DirectX 11?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Liquid Helium said:
Wait, the 4870 supports DirectX 11?
No, but the stupid game required me to install the DX 11 runtime in order to unlock DX 10.

Anyway, with DX 10 enabled, all of my videos play in slow motion causing a lot of issues, crashing in some cases. If i use DX 9 things are fine...seemingly.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Stallion Free said:
Don't bother, play on normal or easy. The combat isn't rewarding and some creatures later in the game take multiple clips on easy which is fucking tedious and ridiculous. Also, there is a turret section that will make you rage. This game is all about the atmosphere, not the fights.

I'm playing on hardcore and having a great time. Human enemies feel just right in terms of the damage they can take, and I haven't had any trouble so far with the mutants. 2 well-placed shotgun rounds or 2 short AK bursts. The combat in this game feels very good. Firearms audio could be better, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the combat in this game.

I was testing out ballistics with shitty ammo vs. military grade ammo. Part of the reason why people feel like the gunplay feels off is because shitty ammo is VERY inaccurate even at midrange. You can try target shooting and squeezing off 1 round shots if you want, or just follow the tracers of the bullets in the dark to watch their arc. The spread with the AK and Bastard Gun is ridiculous when using shitty ammo. Which makes sense in the context of the game and probably why you're lining guys up in your ironsights at midrange and feeling like they're just absorbing hits. The truth is, you're probably missing 85% of your shots.

Dennis

Banned
leng jai said:
What the hell is going on in this thread? Some people are saying the graphics are amazing and others "just okay". Same deal with the audio, amazing versus crap.
People who say the graphics are "just okay" are visually impaired. Both on Xbox 360 and PC, the graphics are outstanding. The audio seems fine to me too, I don't know what the problem would be.

dak1dsk1

Banned
The audio is horrible. Worst mix I ever heard in a game. I started out with 5.1 headphones, but had to take them off and change Xbox to stereo. Now I'm using the regular stereo tv-speakers, and it's tolerable. The russian voices seemed worse than the english, soundwise.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Damn this game is buggy. I got it a few hours ago, and it already crashed on me 3 times. Freezes without letting me escape to the 360 dashboard. Anyone else plagued by crashes? So far this seems buggier than Heavy Rain. I'm still having fun with it though, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't have patched it? Is the unpatched game, less buggy?

Hudson06

Neo Member
dak1dsk1 said:
Damn this game is buggy. I got it a few hours ago, and it already crashed on me 3 times. Freezes without letting me escape to the 360 dashboard. Anyone else plagued by crashes? So far this seems buggier than Heavy Rain. I'm still having fun with it though, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't have patched it? Is the unpatched game, less buggy?

damn, I have put around 8 hours into Metro and had no bugs yet. I've read people saying that their player has been caught in fences or stuck in one place but (fingers crossed) I've yet to have this happen.
I finished Heavy Rain and no bugs there either. Lucky I guess?

Ricker said:
The only audio problems are in the little camps where everyone talks over each other,there`s no distance level for the chatter they do but that`s it..the actual gun sounds are awesome but be warned,this game is brutally hard.I finally gave up on trying to find a stealthy way out of chapter 4,killed a bunch of guys and at one point,brought the game down to easy and just ran out of there,while I was getting blasted by everyone,used some med kits and barely made it hehe...

ya i agree i basically just did the same thing...great game so far though...looks really nice on the 360 esp the lighting...

dak1dsk1

Banned
Hudson06 said:
damn, I have put around 8 hours into Metro and had no bugs yet. I've read people saying that their player has been caught in fences or stuck in one place but (fingers crossed) I've yet to have this happen.
I finished Heavy Rain and no bugs there either. Lucky I guess?
Hm. Strange. Haven't had any of the bugs you report. Just random crashes. The Xbox is in perfect health. Maybe it's a PAL or patch issue.

Volcynika

I know that the whole sections (I think chapter 3) of
Ghost and Anomaly
were verrry creepy with some of the stuff in there.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm thinking of knocking the difficulty down to easy. Some of the enemies are too annoying for me. It'd be one thing if I felt that there was some ounce of control within the chaotic fights, but I don't think there is much of that. Mutants attack, I use the shotgun and the bullets run out. At the same time I run around because otherwise I'm sure to be attacked from behind because they all just rush you like zerglings. No time to reload because they are still coming. Switching to AK, use up a clip and again switch to another weapon like the gun. Bullets run out. Switch to another weapon and reload or reload the one in the hand and continue until the seemingly millions of mutants run out.

I mean, I'm enjoying the game and the vibe but the enemies are, at some times, just boring to fight against.

DennisK4 said:
People who say the graphics are "just okay" are visually impaired. Both on Xbox 360 and PC, the graphics are outstanding. The audio seems fine to me too, I don't know what the problem would be.

I agree on the visual front. Hell, Killzone 2 doesn't look this good. There are far more lighting effects and cool graphic tricks going on here. Poly for poly this is the most detailed FPS out there on a console.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
chespace said:
I'm playing on hardcore and having a great time. Human enemies feel just right in terms of the damage they can take, and I haven't had any trouble so far with the mutants. 2 well-placed shotgun rounds or 2 short AK bursts. The combat in this game feels very good. Firearms audio could be better, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the combat in this game.

I was testing out ballistics with shitty ammo vs. military grade ammo. Part of the reason why people feel like the gunplay feels off is because shitty ammo is VERY inaccurate even at midrange. You can try target shooting and squeezing off 1 round shots if you want, or just follow the tracers of the bullets in the dark to watch their arc. The spread with the AK and Bastard Gun is ridiculous when using shitty ammo. Which makes sense in the context of the game and probably why you're lining guys up in your ironsights at midrange and feeling like they're just absorbing hits. The truth is, you're probably missing 85% of your shots.

Have you fought the librarians? They take 8 or so direct shotgun blasts. On Easy. And thats direct hits. I wasn't referring to any other enemies. And what makes it even worse is they look more or less like the Nosalies who take like two direct shots from the shotgun. I guess being in libraries makes you really fucking strong.

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
Have you fought the librarians? They take 8 or so direct shotgun blasts. On Easy. And thats direct hits. I wasn't referring to any other enemies. And what makes it even worse is they look more or less like the Nosalies who take like two direct shots from the shotgun. I guess being in libraries makes you really fucking strong.

Knowledge is power?

mm04

I'm loving this game. I'm so glad that I pre-ordered it for my new PC. The first showdown with the bandits was pretty epic, in my book. Using stealth, extinguishing lights and picking guys off almost soundlessly in some cases and then one at a time was very cool. I came in like Rambo the first time and got my ass kicked. Probably the best shooter level I've played in a while, IMO. Good stuff.

~Kinggi~

Banned
All i gotta say is i still cannot play this fucking game. Some serious glitch is preventing my system from playing the game without all the videos in the game playing in slow motion, which causes crashes when i try to skip them. So every level transition causes me to hangup.

I got a 4870x2, Vista 64 9550, 4 gigs ddr3.

Using ATI drivers 10.2, Direct X 11, newest physex driver and direct x runtime shit. Playing at resolution 1680x1050 in DX 10 very high. Actual gameplay runs fine for me, its the way they fucking play their videos. Some codec issue or something. I have k-lite installed so i dont know.

I dont know what else to do other than wait for a patch of some sort. The Steam forums are littered with crash issues. But i havent seen anyone with the same problem i have. :(

Any ideas?

kamspy

Try rolling back to 9.12

I never had any luck with any past it with a 4xxx series card. I know plenty of people have, but I didn't.

Worth a shot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Interrobanger said:
That's about what I'd give it. I might go a tad higher though.

I'm just...bored. The only thing that's really keeping me playing are the
hallucination/flashback
sequences which are incredibly well done and the fact that the shotgun is fucking badass.

I'm also playing on normal and the game is very easy thus far (just finished first section of chapter 4). I have 1000+ rounds of regular rifle ammo, 300+ shotgun shells, 400+ of cash/golden ammo, etc and see no need to trade in shells/buy anything at any of the shops other than the occasional pack of filters. I use my pistol/knives against humans, shotgun against monsters and they all go down in a couple shots max.

Graphics are serviceable but unimpressive other than some of the lighting, the sound is pretty awesome throughout, enemies are really lame...even the human fights are starting to grind on me.

I think it's biggest problem is that it's linear to a fault. So far, the game is bunch of tunnels --> bandit base --> more tunnels --> small trek outdoors --> tunnels --> bandit base. Meh, if you're gonna feed me the same environments and scenarios time and time again, spice them up with some setpieces or different visual flare in each area.

Wow. I couldn't be having a more different experience.

I am at the beginning of chapter 4 and the game has been nonstop high-tension entertainment. I find it excellently paced and the level design to be different enough to keep things interesting. I am playing the game maxed out in DX11 mode (albeit in 720p) and it looks better than anything out there in a lot of areas. The atmosphere is just so amazing that I find myself getting really absorbed in the game.

Unless there is some treasure trove of ammunition and supplies in this first area of chapter 4 I have no idea how you have so much ammo. I am not necessarily short on ammo, but I have nowhere as much as you do.

Obviously not everyone has the same opinion, but for me, this game is about as good as it gets.

Fuck this game. It wouldn't even run until I installed BETA Nvidia drivers, which I did. Then I get to the main menu and as soon as I start a new game I get a MSVCR80.dll crash report. Redownloaded the .dll, still crashing.

Worst experience i've ever had with a PC game, fucking embarrassing. Oh and money well spent on something I can't even play.

~Kinggi~

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Fuck this game. It wouldn't even run until I installed BETA Nvidia drivers, which I did. Then I get to the main menu and as soon as I start a new game I get a MSVCR80.dll crash report. Redownloaded the .dll, still crashing.

Worst experience i've ever had with a PC game, fucking embarrassing. Oh and money well spent on something I can't even play.
similar experience for me on the ATI end of things. Except i have been able to get ingame, it's just dependent on whether the game wants to crash or not.

I spent 50$ on this damnit. Plus a good 3 hours of troubleshooting with no payoff.

Pumpkins

Volcynika said:
Knowledge is power?

20nsl2.jpg

Weenerz

Banned
Have been playing the 360 version for about two hours, really digging the atmosphere thus far. I hope this sells well, the devs deserve some success.

surly

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
It totally locked up on me several times (360 version) running from the hard drive. I think it was locking up when it was attempting to autosave. I was about to return the game and try and get a refund, but I tried starting again and saving to my memory unit instead of the hard drive and the game has worked fine ever since. Whether that is a coincidence or not, I can't say, but I did try reinstalling the game and deleting my save and starting over a couple of times but until I moved my save to the MU, it would always freeze. Other games I own seem to work just fine, so I don't think it's the hard drive itself.

logen9999

Banned
playing it, loving it. incredibly atmospheric and immersive.

The people who review games at IGN dont know what they're talking about.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just got to chapter 4 with my night vision goggles and silenced VSS sniper rifle!

Amazing.

Top Bottom