• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

I had the black screen at startup issue, but aside from that, it's been running like a champ for me.. Win 7 x64, i7 920 OC'ed to 3.6, 6GB ram, ATI 5870 10.3 beta drivers.

Just passed over the surface and got through the first section with The Bandits, and then what comes after. This is now basically tied with Bioshock as my favorite fps experience this gen. It reminds me of playing Riddick last gen. I'm just loving it.

dk_

chespace said:
Just got to chapter 4 with my night vision goggles and silenced VSS sniper rifle!

Amazing.
I'm just before that point. Do you have to buy the NVG? Because I haven't much money left. My enemies are rich, but dead, though. :lol

squicken

spoliers ahoy!

I had no idea what was going on with the Dark Ones. I had an inclination that they weren't bad, but it didn't seem like I had any say in what was going on. I just stayed on the tracks like the game wants you to. So I feel a little miffed that there are two endings, and I got the bad one.

-In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken that lady's money for saving her kid. In my defense, she's a bad mother for letting her kid out there with monsters, and further, he made aiming very difficult as I carried him

--That dying captain asked me to send a radio message. I looked all over that damn settlement and never saw a radio tower

I'm not that worked up though. It's a good game, and the flaws can easily be attributed to Eastern European jank.

There's two endings? What?!

I just finished then.

Someone gave me a pistol in my 'dream' and I was able to kill the Dark One chasing me. The missiles launched and destroyed their...hive...thing.

Is that the bad ending?

Pumpkins

Yeah... I actually like this game more than BioShock. There's something charming and just, neat about it. Like I just really love the setting.

Ricker

If like me you where flat broke before chapter 4 when you could buy stuff(I had 7 bullets),there`s some night vision goggles to find right after you are knocked out of the train in the middle of chapter 4,just backtrack a little...maybe not as good as the ones you can buy though because I found them totally useless.

Minsc

Gold Member
This game is just brutal in the beginning, and I'm only playing on normal, from what I read easy isn't much better.

I'm toward the end of chapter 3 I think, or 2, I can't ever afford to scrounge up more than 40 or so credits at one time, and thus never able to buy anything good, like a weapon.

When I get attacked, it's usually by 4-6 enemies, and my guns only good for killing 1 of them before I need to reload, meaning there's a good chance I die anytime I have to fight enemies. If that wasn't bad enough, most missions I don't have enough ammo to kill the level's enemies, and despite finding ammo on the ground, it doesn't really seem to amount to much (seems like I am finding single bullets not clips?)

I'm about ready to curb this game until someone patches it. Perhaps it gets better once you can afford better weapons, but right now, I'm not sure why they thought this would be fun, running around outnumbered, outpaced, and with little/no weaponry.

dak1dsk1

Banned
surly said:
It totally locked up on me several times (360 version) running from the hard drive. I think it was locking up when it was attempting to autosave. I was about to return the game and try and get a refund, but I tried starting again and saving to my memory unit instead of the hard drive and the game has worked fine ever since. Whether that is a coincidence or not, I can't say, but I did try reinstalling the game and deleting my save and starting over a couple of times but until I moved my save to the MU, it would always freeze. Other games I own seem to work just fine, so I don't think it's the hard drive itself.
Same here. Other games I own, run just fine. It is the game, that's bugged. Sadly I don't have a memory unit. The crashes do appear around auto-saving spots, but luckily it manages to save progress before crashing. I haven't lost any progress, and just have to deal with rebooting the 360. It crashed about 5 times so far. I guess I could try reinstalling to HDD, or playing from the disc itself.

timkunedo

The only bug i've found after many hours of gameplay is the menu constantly scrolling on its own in the main menu and the traders menu. Other than that the game has fun flawlessly for me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so gaf, whats the general consensus on the 360 version of the game? How does it stack up against a low/mid-range pc? I,e not i9 and " as much ram as possible "

dk_

timkunedo said:
The only bug i've found after many hours of gameplay is the menu constantly scrolling on its own in the main menu and the traders menu. Other than that the game has fun flawlessly for me.
I don't know if it's a bug, but apparently you can't put your worn off gas mask down if you're at zero filters. Had to find a new one before I could take it off.

RJT

Minsc said:
This game is just brutal in the beginning, and I'm only playing on normal, from what I read easy isn't much better.

I'm toward the end of chapter 3 I think, or 2, I can't ever afford to scrounge up more than 40 or so credits at one time, and thus never able to buy anything good, like a weapon.

When I get attacked, it's usually by 4-6 enemies, and my guns only good for killing 1 of them before I need to reload, meaning there's a good chance I die anytime I have to fight enemies. If that wasn't bad enough, most missions I don't have enough ammo to kill the level's enemies, and despite finding ammo on the ground, it doesn't really seem to amount to much (seems like I am finding single bullets not clips?)

I'm about ready to curb this game until someone patches it. Perhaps it gets better once you can afford better weapons, but right now, I'm not sure why they thought this would be fun, running around outnumbered, outpaced, and with little/no weaponry.
Minsc
Go for the eyes Boo,
GO FOR THE EYES!!
(Today, 01:17 PM)
Reply | Quote

timkunedo

is there really a need to purchase weapons? both weapons i've purchased in the game i have found exploring in the very next level after my purchase. Also is the stealth suit really necesary? I know it comes with NVGs, but again....I've found those exploring as well.

Minsc said:

In lots of the levels there are hidden caches of weapons/ammo, search around for them (there usually down a corridor you never go down, or some place like that)

Search every dead body you come across for ammo

Fire in bursts and go for head shots, and use the knife you have when your only fighting one enemy.

They were my tactics on normal and I never got to a point were I wanted to give up.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yea, not a bad idea. The knife can be powerful, I'm starting to wish I bought a ton of throwing knives since they replenish after you throw them.

I'm running around in circles right now, just found a park that triggered a pre-disaster flashback, but I must have taken a wrong turn because I just keep ending up going in circles, trying to regroup with Bourbon and I have no idea where he is. It's probably obvious too, I just work much better with a map.

Minsc said:
Yea, not a bad idea. The knife can be powerful, I'm starting to wish I bought a ton of throwing knives since they replenish after you throw them.

I'm running around in circles right now, just found a park that triggered a pre-disaster flashback, but I must have taken a wrong turn because I just keep ending up going in circles, trying to regroup with Bourbon and I have no idea where he is. It's probably obvious too, I just work much better with a map.
Press M (if your on PC)

dk_ said:
Wow, I actually had to switch to easy mode. Definitely a hard game, I've to admit.

Are all the people experiencing a very difficult normal mode on the PC version? I by no means am a skilled FPS player, but have blitzed through right until
hiding under the train in the reds base
only dying around twice on the 360 version. Wonder if the game is tweaked down for console release?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
timkunedo said:
is there really a need to purchase weapons? both weapons i've purchased in the game i have found exploring in the very next level after my purchase. Also is the stealth suit really necesary? I know it comes with NVGs, but again....I've found those exploring as well.

I've purchased 2 weapons, both of which have really saved my ass.

1. Early on I purchased a revolver with rifle stock and silencer. Great for stealth on chapter 3 in the bandit camp.

2. In chapter 3, I bought the silence VSS sniper rifle, which has proven to be a godsend for taking out Nazis in chapter 4.

I have not purchased anything else. I found NVGs at the beginning of chapter 4.

I'm playing this game on hardcore (PC) and have found it to be a challenge but not terribly hard. The key to fighting mutants is to run away from them while you reload. Also, the auto-shotgun is good because you can melee them.

Loving it so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:

I think that is the point. Every battle is tense and there is a constant feeling of despair. You aren't supposed to be some ultimate badass who slaughters everything in his wake.

I'm not having the same problems with ammo that you are. Sure I run out of ammo for a certain gun after prolonged fights, but I always have backup weapons. Just be extra careful lining up your shots and make every bullet count.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Zefah said:
I think that is the point. Every battle is tense and there is a constant feeling of despair. You aren't supposed to be some ultimate badass who slaughters everything in his wake.

I'm not having the same problems with ammo that you are. Sure I run out of ammo for a certain gun after prolonged fights, but I always have backup weapons. Just be extra careful lining up your shots and make every bullet count.

Also, I never just take a straight path. I always go and explore and usually find tons of ammo.

Although Metro reminds me a lot of HL2 and MW2 in its linearity (HL2 for its in-game narratives and story driven context/action, MW2 for the visual set pieces), there is more exploration here than meets the eye.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
chespace said:
Also, I never just take a straight path. I always go and explore and usually find tons of ammo.

Although Metro reminds me a lot of HL2 and MW2 in its linearity (HL2 for its in-game narratives and story driven context/action, MW2 for the visual set pieces), there is more exploration here than meets the eye.

I can definitely see a large Half-Life influence from this game. I got a really strong vibe when I was doing the short platforming section on the first mission of chapter 4.

I always try to look around the levels as well and thankfully Metro 2033 almost always rewards the player with something for exploring off the beaten path.

aries_71

Corky said:
so gaf, whats the general consensus on the 360 version of the game? How does it stack up against a low/mid-range pc? I,e not i9 and " as much ram as possible "

I can tell you that 360 version is among the games with the best graphics on that system, if not the absolute best. After playing a long session of Metro 2033, I went back to play some ODST firefights and I couldn't believe the difference. They seem games from two different generations. Lighting, shadows, animations, textures, everything is top notch.

aries_71 said:
I can tell you that 360 version is among the games with the best graphics on that system, if not the absolute best. After playing a long session of Metro 2033, I went back to play some ODST firefights and I couldn't believe the difference. They seem games from two different generations. Lighting, shadows, animations, textures, everything is top notch.

Framerate stable? Also did you install it? Planning to grab this and Just Cause 2 on tuesday.

Zenith

Banned
I have a question about Chapter 4 War:

just before the motor car comes down the tunnel there's a door that leads to a generator. this in turn leads to some sewers that lead to a gigantic cavern that contains....... nothing. Looks like an arena for a boss fight. Do I return there in a later level?

Corky

aries_71 said:

wow, thanks for the info, sounds great. Definitely gonna give this a fair try, the atmosphere alone justifies a purchase ^^

randomwab

Zenith said:

just before the motor car comes down the tunnel there's a door that leads to a generator. this in turn leads to some sewers that lead to a gigantic cavern that contains....... nothing. Looks like an arena for a boss fight. Do I return there in a later level?

I wondered about that too. I presumed
it was how you sneak through the level, but I'm not clear on how you would get in there from the other side.

Bi50N

Zenith said:

It's all there for a reason... related to one of the Achievements available in this level. I can spoil this for you some more, or let you have another think as to why those stairs are there!

Zenith

Banned
Bi50N said:
It's all there for a reason... related to one of the Achievements available in this level. I can spoil this for you some more, or let you have another think as to why those stairs are there!

spoil plz. I don't look at achievements.

Zenith said:
spoil plz. I don't look at achievements.
If I am, thinking of the right place, that is the back entrance into the nazi base, its there so you don't have to kill anyone and get the achievement

Corky said:

Core 2 duo + 9600GT or better? Go with the PC version

Anything lower than that? 360 version should see you fine. The 360 version seems to be roughly equivalent to the PC version running on low settings.

Is it possible to get the rail gun that your buddy carries in the last parts of the game?

If not, I hope we can see that in DLC. Or some other gun that kills most mutants in one or two solid shots.

Like most, I had a lot more fun fighting humans in this game. Partly because it's medium to long range combat. Partly because the mutants seem like bullet sponges. Except the librarians - they were pretty good to fight - probably because you're only taking on one at a time.

Corky

brain_stew said:
Core 2 duo + 9600GT or better? Go with the PC version

Anything lower than that? 360 version should see you fine. The 360 version seems to be roughly equivalent to the PC version running on low settings.

nah, aint got a gaming-pc, just a laptop. Sounds like the 360 is gonna do me just fine , my feline 360 is on its 8th life right now, soon I might opt to buy a pc if that shit keeps up.

edit : speaking of pcpurchases, can someone direct me to that 400$ pc-challenge thread or w/e here on gaf, thanks

kinggroin

Banned
Corky said:
nah, aint got a gaming-pc, just a laptop. Sounds like the 360 is gonna do me just fine , my feline 360 is on its 8th life right now, soon I might opt to buy a pc if that shit keeps up.

edit : speaking of pcpurchases, can someone direct me to that 400$ pc-challenge thread or w/e here on gaf, thanks

8th life?!? KEEPS up??

:lol

Just finished GoW3, time to really sink my teeth into this game!

Amneisac

Librarians just boiled down to a little hokey pokey, walk in the room: they drop in the room - shoot at them while backing out: they run away. (painfully obvious AI triggers) Rinse repeat.

WanderingWind said:
This guy seems to think the game is too hard.

http://www.destructoid.com/not-review-metro-2033-168418.phtml#ext

I don't really blame him, if what happened to him is true...

So many variables and questions. Did he try it again? Or did he spit the dummy after one bit of trouble?

I came across a situation where 2 mutants had their backs to me and didn't know I was there. I threw a grenade that landed right between them. It exploded, they didn't die but they didn't react AT ALL. It was like they were invincible until I kick started their response by shooting them.

Mind you, that only happened once, and never against human enemies. I also didn't stop playing the game from that one little hiccup.

Some humans wear helments which protects them very well until you knock them off, shoot them in the neck or through the glass visor. That may have been the case for this 'review'.

Ricker

wormstrangler said:
Is it possible to get the rail gun that your buddy carries in the last parts of the game?

If not, I hope we can see that in DLC. Or some other gun that kills most mutants in one or two solid shots.

Like most, I had a lot more fun fighting humans in this game. Partly because it's medium to long range combat. Partly because the mutants seem like bullet sponges. Except the librarians - they were pretty good to fight - probably because you're only taking on one at a time.

Still ridiculous though that it takes about 50 shotgun bullets to bring them down,ridiculous,i`m dying on easy,i`m done with this game,have fun guys i`m out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WanderingWind said:
This guy seems to think the game is too hard.

http://www.destructoid.com/not-review-metro-2033-168418.phtml#ext

I don't really blame him, if what happened to him is true...

Sounds like greatly exaggerated BS from my experience with the game. I am playing on the default difficulty and as far as I can tell any attack to an unsuspecting human enemy's head (assuming they don't have a helmet on) will result in an instant kill. Even the heavily armored enemies on chapter 4 usually go down with one or two well placed shotgun blasts even when they are fully aware of your presence.

The guy said he planted 4 shotgun blast into the enemy's head at point-blank range. Now I may be mistaken, but the only shotgun I have encountered thus far is a double-barrel shotgun that can only get off two shots before requiring a reload which takes a couple of seconds. I don't see how he got off 4 point-blank shotgun blasts, including a reload session in between the first two, before the enemy realized he was there and killed him. Furthermore, at least on the default difficulty, I find it highly unlikely that he was killed in three shots of enemy gunfire.

I'm not saying the game is easy, but I find this "review" highly suspect. Most likely it is an extreme exaggeration resulting from the reviewer's frustration with the game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ricker said:
Still ridiculous though that it takes about 50 shotgun bullets to bring them down,ridiculous,i`m dying on easy,i`m done with this game,have fun guys i`m out.

Want to trade for it then?:D

Zefah said:
The guy said he planted 4 shotgun blast into the enemy's head at point-blank range. Now I may be mistaken, but the only shotgun I have encountered thus far is a double-barrel shotgun that can only get off two shots before requiring a reload which takes a couple of seconds. I don't see how he got off 4 point-blank shotgun blasts, including a reload session in between the first two, before the enemy realized he was there and killed him.

You can get an auto-shotgun that will hold 6 rounds. The reviewer either ran into a bug, simply missed his mark, or the enemy was wearing a helmet (which would probably have been knocked off after the first blast anyway)

It certainly wasn't because humans are bullet sponges.

Volcynika

Just beat it. Really loved it most of the way through. Though near the end of the game...

FUCK THOSE AMOEBA ENEMIES. THEY NEED TO GO TO HELL AND STAY THERE. SO FREAKIN ANNOYING

Not a fan of those sections!

Beat it on hardcore or whatever by the way.

wormstrangler said:
You can get an auto-shotgun that will hold 6 rounds. The reviewer either ran into a bug, simply missed his mark, or the enemy was wearing a helmet (which would probably have been knocked off after the first blast anyway)

It certainly wasn't because humans are bullet sponges.

It generally takes me 3-5 bullets(not shotgun shells) to drop a guy unless i can line up a headshot. I have no idea how it could take several shotgun shots from point blank.

I'm not really finding the game too hard, tbh. Is everyone saying it's challenging playing on 360? You have to creep through the game slowly to survive...but its not tough to do so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WHOAguitarninja said:
It generally takes me 3-5 bullets(not shotgun shells) to drop a guy unless i can line up a headshot. I have no idea how it could take several shotgun shots from point blank.

I'm not really finding the game too hard, tbh. Is everyone saying it's challenging playing on 360? You have to creep through the game slowly to survive...but its not tough to do so.

I'm not finding the game very difficult on the default difficulty either. In fact, I am finding it a bit easy as the game is pretty generous in how much damage it allows you to take before dying.

I am playing it on the PC and I could totally see how the game could be a lot harder with a controller, especially when fighting the monster who jump around and get up really close.

Top Bottom