• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Damn. Its pretty frustrating missing out on this game because of my dead PC. I guess I should be thankful for all the consoles games comming out, to keep me occupied for the time being on the cheap.

adelante

JayDub said:
Totally OT but I LOVE your avatar. :lol :lol
Hehe glad you liked it (and dug the reference, I assume :D )

Look like another high review despite the same nagging game mechanics (which to me isn't a downside at all)

rossonero

Tokubetsu said:
Calling all Swedish Gaffers!

The reviewer complains that the weapons feel weak and that the game is crashing and lagging for him constantly. Also he says that he is bothered that AA and DirectX10 aren't supported out of the box and that no matter which computer it's hard to get a nice and steady framerate. He feels that it's sloppy technicaly. And that if 4A Games spent another 6 months polishing the game that it could be a great game, but as it is now it's "only" a good game. Still he can't wait for the sequel to come.

The second opinion comes from a guy playing the X360 version and he says that the Xbox version is a well polished one.

I think I got it all. :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The reviews for the 360 version have been pretty consistent 8's and 9's so far, it's coming together nicely. Too bad there's absolutely no hype in the media :(

Such a shame to hear about PC performance issues, although it is consistent with recent multi-platform releases from THQ. I'm sold on the gameplay but it sounds like it may be wise to wait until there is a price drop and see if they've patched it up by then. Hopefully, hands-on reports on the 16th prove me wrong.

CabbageRed said:
Such a shame to hear about PC performance issues, although it is consistent with recent multi-platform releases from THQ. I'm sold on the gameplay but it sounds like it may be wise to wait until there is a price drop and see if they've patched it up by then. Hopefully, hands-on reports on the 16th prove me wrong.
This.

Jtyettis said:
What is the official resolution for this on the 360 and what level of AA as well? 720p? and?

All media so far has been 720p with their shader based AA and 0xmsaa.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into claims of the game being "unoptimised" quite yet. We already know that Metro has a crapton of settings (including ridiculous stuff like inengine supersampling! :lol ) and if you crank all of them up, I'm sure it can bring any rig to its knees. There's a lot of people that are members of the idiot "must max out everything" brigade, even if they don't have a clue as to what the settings are doing. For all we know that reviewer could have been trying to enable global illumination. :lol

Wait until PC-GAF members you ca trust to give a fair and consistant view of performance (like me! :lol ) get their hands on it before drawing any conclusions. I'm a bit of a cheap skate so I haven't ordered the game yet, I don't want to break my rule of never paying more than £20 for a game!

Tokubetsu

brain_stew said:
All media so far has been 720p with their shader based AA and 0xmsaa.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into claims of the game being "unoptimised" quite yet. We already know that Metro has a crapton of settings (including ridiculous stuff like inengine supersampling! :lol ) and if you crank all of them up, I'm sure it can bring any rig to its knees. There's a lot of people that are members of the idiot "must max out everything" brigade, even if they don't have a clue as to what the settings are doing. For all we know that reviewer could have been trying to enable global illumination. :lol

Wait until PC-GAF members you ca trust to give a fair and consistant view of performance (like me! :lol ) get their hands on it before drawing any conclusions. I'm a bit of a cheap skate so I haven't ordered the game yet, I don't want to break my rule of never paying more than £20 for a game!

I want a 1000 word essay on my desk by Tuesday night. Double space Kaplan format! This is 85% of your grade.

randomwab

I saw that Steam has the game up for preload already. Is there a way to preload without having preordered the game through Steam? I'll be buying it in a store next Friday using a gift card I have, and would like to have the game already installed so I just have to enter the serial into Steam.

timkunedo

going to preorder the 360 version today. I mainly play shooters on the console and rpgs on the pc so why switch now. don't really feel like buying the 360 pc controller right now.

Loxley

brain_stew said:
I'm actually surprised the Xbox brigade aren't going crazy over it. They finally have a game with graphics in the same league as (or better than) KZ2 and UC2, you'd think they'd have adopted it as their saviour or something given that.

I think that's because the difference between Metro and KZ2 or UC2 is that Metro lacks what both of those games promote as a key feature; multiplayer. Plus, Metro is much closer to Stalker in it's formula (a franchise that pretty much eludes anyone who isn't seriously into PC gaming) than CoD or Battlefield. That style of game is very much an acquired taste, so it's hard to brag about having an exclusive game that is much different from KZ2 or UC2 when the PS3 doesn't really have anything in it's library to compare it to.

Unless of course you're simply speaking from a graphical perspective, then I guess I agree it's a bit surprising to see this game not being advertised across GAF as the most prettiestest game to ever grace the 360 :D

FrankT

Anyone know if this is actually street dated for Tuesday? Meaning I can actually pick it up in store that day rather than Wednesday.

Jtyettis said:
Anyone know if this is actually street dated for Tuesday? Meaning I can actually pick it up in store that day rather than Wednesday.
My store has had it for a few days. Buy, as always, ymmv.

No_Style

Loxley said:
I think that's because the difference between Metro and KZ2 or UC2 is that Metro lacks what both of those games promote as a key feature; multiplayer.

UC2 wasn't hyped because of the MP.

My guess as to why people (media and GAF) aren't hyped about this is the fact that it's published by THQ. If this was an EA Partner's title or even an Activision title, there would be more eyes on it.

Edit: Oh, and the lack of a demo.

S1kkZ

TheVampire said:
So then play on easy to compensate for this?
normal is fine and the shooting doesnt suck (its not great, but its not bad). if you play it as a standard fps you will get in trouble.

there is one enemy that really sucks, because its just not fun to fight.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wow, that German PC SE isn't actually that expensive on Amazon.de and the shipping to the UK isn't terrible, either (8EUR!!!).

Somebody hold me back!

DogWelder

Thank you GAF for making me aware of what looks to be an awesome game I otherwise wouldn't have known about (due to school). <3 survival horror.

Decado

*sighs* Another shooter with poor shooting mechanics. That makes it a pretty damned tough sell. Maybe if the PC version is modable?

Pumpkins

Well I just pre-ordered the game for the 360 via Amazon.

I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO JEALOUS that the German special edition gets an awesome watch. I really wish that was the pre-order bonus for Americans was that tight watch. That book with Dmitry Glukhovsky's signature inside is also a nice touch! Awesome stuff.

Argh. Well at least I get a gas mask for my avatar. Better than nothing! :D

Is there any chance that the watch will be sold separately or something? I would totally buy that, DAY ONE.

Pumpkins said:
Well I just pre-ordered the game for the 360 via Amazon.

I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO JEALOUS that the German special edition gets an awesome watch. I really wish that was the pre-order bonus for Americans was that tight watch. That book with Dmitry Glukhovsky's signature inside is also a nice touch! Awesome stuff.

Argh. Well at least I get a gas mask for my avatar. Better than nothing! :D

Is there any chance that the watch will be sold separately or something? I would totally buy that, DAY ONE.

You could probably find it on ebay couple of weeks from now, give it a try.

S1kkZ

i think i am done with the game. chapter 6 area 4 is just a nightmare.
enemies (that explode on contact or when you kill them) everywhere, you have to protect someone, you have almost no ammo (and no option to buy or collect some, i maxed out my ammo at the last store) and after 2 hits you are dead. i tried the section about 20 times, no chance. either i die or my partner dies.

i switched to easy, didnt help.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
chandoog said:
Sorry if old.

Gamesradar review : 9/10

You'll love

* Evocative paranormal atmosphere
* Superb attention to detail
* Play it cautious, and the shooting issues dissolve

You'll hate

* The shooting sucks
* May be too unforgiving for some
* A few naive design decisions

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/m...-2010031215173939079/g-200812191616522092/p-2

That was the absolutely worst written review I've read this year, hands down. Way to not even attempt to support your bullet points with information. No, clearly the "writer" thought it better to throw out lame jokes and tired POV devices.

I hope GR doesn't actually pay him real money for this quality of work. That'd be embarrassing.

FrankT

S1kkZ said:
enemies (that explode on contact or when you kill them) everywhere, you have to protect someone, you have almost no ammo (and no option to buy or collect some, i maxed out my ammo at the last store) and after 2 hits you are dead. i tried the section about 20 times, no chance. either i die or my partner dies.

Hmm, I like tough games, but not impossible. I hope there is something to this.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the lack of hype , they lack of marketing , the lack of interest of the game on gaming sites is just depressing , THQ fails again , I hope it's like Deadly Premonition situation when GAF and Drinky/Borecast hyped it to the moon after the release.

S1kkZ

Jtyettis said:
Hmm, I like tough games, but not impossible. I hope there is something to this.
i think its a lot easier with mouse/keyboard. you have very little ammunition, the enemies are fast and you have to be very precise.
there was a section earlier were i felt that the developers demanded aiming thats only possible with a mouse.

Ricker

This is why I find embargo`s dumb sometimes...there`s one for not until release day but there`s already 5 or 6 reviews out,from major sites as well...and Caspel and the like have to wait....weird.

Ricker

S1kkZ said:

Stuff like this is pushing me towards a rent though...

Ricker said:
Stuff like this is pushing me towards a rent though...

I have been burned in the past by THQ and even the possibility that they have fauked up again regarding optimization pushes me to wait for the inevitable weekend or holiday sale on Steam. Its unfortunate because I really want to pick this up but I refuse to be burned again.

Peterthumpa

chandoog said:
Sorry if old.

Gamesradar review : 9/10

You'll love

* Evocative paranormal atmosphere
* Superb attention to detail
* Play it cautious, and the shooting issues dissolve

You'll hate

* The shooting sucks
* May be too unforgiving for some
* A few naive design decisions

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/m...-2010031215173939079/g-200812191616522092/p-2
A FPS getting 9, and as a negative, the shooting sucks?
Really, 9 for a FPS were shooting things sucks?

GunDoingItWrong.jpg

DogWelder

Totobeni said:
the lack of hype , they lack of marketing , the lack of interest of the game on gaming sites is just depressing , THQ fails again , I hope it's like Deadly Premonition situation when GAF and Drinky/Borecast hyped it to the moon after the release.
It'd be pretty easy to get GAF aware of this game, all you'd have to do is make a thread with a title like, "Metro 2033: Best looking console game yet?" (Not that I advise it).

The Chef

brain_stew said:
Eh............you might have some difficulty convincing them of that.

I'm actually surprised the Xbox brigade aren't going crazy over it. They finally have a game with graphics in the same league as (or better than) KZ2 and UC2, you'd think they'd have adopted it as their saviour or something given that.

Brain_Stew I know you are not one to take graphics lightly so when I read that I immediatley went and watched all the videos I could find and checked out all the screens and I am not seeing the graphical powerhouse your talking about. Is it just not as in your face as stuff like KZ2 or Gears cause it appears to be a really nice looking fallout 3 type of game. Or are you just talking about comparing feature set to feature set?

I think the Xbox community has Alan Wake for their new champion anyways.

Top Bottom