• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Maxrunner

CabbageRed said:
Such a shame to hear about PC performance issues, although it is consistent with recent multi-platform releases from THQ. I'm sold on the gameplay but it sounds like it may be wise to wait until there is a price drop and see if they've patched it up by then. Hopefully, hands-on reports on the 16th prove me wrong.

how's the performance with hd5870?

S1kkZ

finished the game (360 version) my thoughts:

-fantastic atmosphere, the best post apocalyptic atmo in a videogame.
-mostly great visuals (in most areas the game is among the best looking games this gen), lot of details, great texture work
-world feels real and alive
-great light and shadow effects
-some bad animations (the monsters look great but the animations are mediocre at best)
-some bigger areas on the outside dont look nearly as good as the stuff inside the metro (mostly weaker textures), still great atmo.
-shooting is fine but it all depends on the weapons you have and how you use them
-fighting humans is awesome, fighting against the monsters not so much
-2 annoying passages (managable but still annoying)
-story telling is weak. feels like a lot of stuff was left out.
-feels a bit rough and unpolished (animations, some glitches/bugs)
-great pacing

i really liked it, the tense atmosphere is really great and unique. however: the story telling is a mess and the game needs a bit more polish. if you like post apolalyptic stuff, give it a try.

b-

I'm still on the fence because of my backlog. Thinking about picking up the Xbox360 version. I'll wait for more impressions before I make a final decision. This title does appear to be worthy of purchase based on the buzz so far.

S1kkZ

Apharmd Battler said:
I'm still on the fence because of my backlog. Thinking about picking up the Xbox360 version. I'll wait for more impressions before I make a final decision. This title does appear to be worthy of purchase based on the buzz so far.
its worth it, but its not one of these super polished aaa games. its rough and that makes it great.

S1kkZ

about the lenght: the game is about 9 hours long.
i really want to go back and play some levels again. some levels can be finished with not killing anyone. and i want to try out some other weapons and tactics (its imossible to try out all weapons in one playthrough).

some of the achievements really add to the replay value. i think this is one of the games that are better on the second playthrough.

S1kkZ said:
its worth it, but its not one of these super polished aaa games. its rough and that makes it great.

COOL! I'm no gaming snob, so I'll give it a shot. I was planing on waiting on God of War 3 to clear my backlog, but Metro2033 sounds like it'll scratch my sci-fi post apocalyptic itch. Looks like I may have to move some things around (yet again) in my gaming queue.

I'll grab a copy at Best Buy on my way home Tuesday as I'll need to grab The Princess Frog for my daughter. ;)

Tokubetsu said:

To allay your fears:

games.on.net: Speaking of performance, now that the game is done, how demanding has it turned out to be? Does it require a Crysis-killing machine to run, or will middling systems be quite happy with it?

Huw: We've put out our minimum, recommended and optimum specs. It's an extremely well optimised engine, part of the work in getting it to run on 360 actually helped massively with the PC's performance.

But we put out three spec levels, and some people seem to have a problem because they think optimum spec is the only way to run it. And that's not really true. Minimum spec is within reach of pretty much modern PCs, and it will still look fantastic on minimum spec. Recommended spec will look really fantastic, and if you're lucky enough to the optimum setup, then you're going to see quality that you've probably not seen anywhere else.

RavenFox

Banned
brain_stew said:
Eh............you might have some difficulty convincing them of that.

I'm actually surprised the Xbox brigade aren't going crazy over it. They finally have a game with graphics in the same league as (or better than) KZ2 and UC2, you'd think they'd have adopted it as their saviour or something given that.
:lol good try. PC version for me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Apharmd Battler said:
but Metro2033 sounds like it'll scratch my sci-fi post apocalyptic itch. Looks like I may have to move some things around (yet again) in my gaming queue.

;)

yeah , as much as the Post-Apocalyptic sub genre popular but there is serious lack of it in games , especially in consoles (not that much better situation on PCs but it has STALKER).

and unlike the Zombie Holocaust games ( flooded the market in the last three years ) in this gen on consoles aside from Fallout 3 there is no "real" post apocalyptic games ( things like Darksiders or Infamous and Later levels of Sonic 2006 don't count ) which is really bad , but well , we have Metro 2033 now and later this year Fallout New Vegas and ( i hope) Rage to fix this.

Ricker

S1kkZ said:
finished the game (360 version) my thoughts:

-fantastic atmosphere, the best post apocalyptic atmo in a videogame.
-mostly great visuals (in most areas the game is among the best looking games this gen), lot of details, great texture work
-world feels real and alive
-great light and shadow effects
-some bad animations (the monsters look great but the animations are mediocre at best)
-some bigger areas on the outside dont look nearly as good as the stuff inside the metro (mostly weaker textures), still great atmo.
-shooting is fine but it all depends on the weapons you have and how you use them
-fighting humans is awesome, fighting against the monsters not so much
-2 annoying passages (managable but still annoying)
-story telling is weak. feels like a lot of stuff was left out.
-feels a bit rough and unpolished (animations, some glitches/bugs)
-great pacing

i really liked it, the tense atmosphere is really great and unique. however: the story telling is a mess and the game needs a bit more polish. if you like post apolalyptic stuff, give it a try.

b-

Thanks for all the spoiler free impressions man =)...did you leave the game on easy after the part you where saying was really hard,or went back to normal to finish it up? can you change the difficulty on the fly?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so I went to Amazon.com to order the book , but there is many 3rd party sellers are selling the book ( different Editions I believe ) am I fine with the 2008 red cover edition ? also there is Metro 2034 book by Dmitry Glukhovsky , should I buy this one too ?

Totobeni said:
so I went to Amazon.com to order the book , but there is many 3rd party sellers are selling the book ( different Editions I believe ) am I fine with the 2008 red cover edition ? also there is Metro 2034 book by Dmitry Glukhovsky , should I buy this one too ?

The 2008 edition is in German, so I guess that depends on you. Neither book has been released in english yet as far as I am aware.

EDIT: Apparently Metro 2033 was just released in the UK in english. Still no idea when the US version will be out.

mujun

brain_stew said:

I'm actually surprised the Xbox brigade aren't going crazy over it. They finally have a game with graphics in the same league as (or better than) KZ2 and UC2, you'd think they'd have adopted it as their saviour or something given that.

That's the difference between Xbots and PStriplets.

Xbots are irritating but not deluded :D

adelante

The Chef said:
Brain_Stew I know you are not one to take graphics lightly so when I read that I immediatley went and watched all the videos I could find and checked out all the screens and I am not seeing the graphical powerhouse your talking about. Is it just not as in your face as stuff like KZ2 or Gears cause it appears to be a really nice looking fallout 3 type of game. Or are you just talking about comparing feature set to feature set?

I think the Xbox community has Alan Wake for their new champion anyways.
You need to know what to look out for. I would go as far as saying Metro2033 sits alongside AlanWake as the pinnacle of 360 graphics so far.

Tokubetsu

Broadbandito said:
so I have my copy from newegg.... but I can't play it until steam releases it?! WTF

Yeah, it's a steamworks title. The only form of anti-piracy that actually works...until it's unlocked on steam and they crack it.

Tokubetsu said:
Yeah, it's a steamworks title. The only form of anti-piracy that actually works...until it's unlocked on steam and they crack it.

I got all excited since I was gone at GDC and didn't see the package right away. I checked the shipping status and it was sitting in my living room. Now I am sads :(

Tokubetsu

adelante said:
It's already in the OP but heads up for those who might've missed it ;)

Yeah, I realized later that the interview seemed familiar :lol. Hopefully we luck out Broadbandito and they unlock the game at midnight (I doubt it but still).

Bi50N

Spanish site 3D Juegos just posted their PC review. Another 9/10

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/analisis/1810/0/metro-2033/

There's been concern after that Gamereactor comment about PC optimisation, so here's what Google Translate says form the 3D Juegos review:

"In terms of optimizing the game shows good records whenever we adapt to their stringent requirements. With a team similar to the Minimum Requirements-AMD 4400 X2, 8800GT, 2Gb Ram, the game has worked well, with a resolution of 1680x1050, and a compendium of visual options mean that they have helped move the program between 30 and 40 frames per second. Consumption are particularly sensitive, as always, the quality of the shadows and smoothing sawtooth-not very effective, whatever the configuration chosen. In addition to the most powerful computer language-Quad Core, 4 GB of RAM and GeForce GTX260, we have obtained outstanding performance with all visual options maximized, and even with DirectX 10 support the game responds very efficiently."

S1kkZ

Ricker said:
Thanks for all the spoiler free impressions man =)...did you leave the game on easy after the part you where saying was really hard,or went back to normal to finish it up? can you change the difficulty on the fly?
you can change the difficulty on the fly. i left it at easy, had no problems after that scene.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
brain_stew said:

Really? Which media have you seen that suggests this game looks that good? It seems to have a similar problem to STALKER in that there is a lot of detail in every object, but the assembled scene doesn't quite look as good as the sum of its parts would lead you to believe.

It looks nice enough, but it definitely doesn't have the overall impact of those two games. This isn't about hardware either, rather, simple polish. The animation blending, motion blur, and overall scene design is simply unreal in UC2 and KZ2. Metro appears very stiff in comparison.

Hopefully its indoor environments will aid the visuals, however. STALKER-CoP, for instance, looks both fantastic and ugly as hell depending on where you're at. Some of the outdoor terrain bits are just terrible looking and appear more dated than even Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion while certain OTHER scenes are absolutely incredible.

Hopefully Metro runs smoothly on my PC.

dark10x said:
Really? Which media have you seen that suggests this game looks that good? It seems to have a similar problem to STALKER in that there is a lot of detail in every object, but the assembled scene doesn't quite look as good as the sum of its parts would lead you to believe.

It looks nice enough, but it definitely doesn't have the overall impact of those two games. This isn't about hardware either, rather, simple polish. The animation blending, motion blur, and overall scene design is simply unreal in UC2 and KZ2. Metro appears very stiff in comparison.

Hopefully its indoor environments will aid the visuals, however. STALKER-CoP, for instance, looks both fantastic and ugly as hell depending on where you're at. Some of the outdoor terrain bits are just terrible looking and appear more dated than even Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion while certain OTHER scenes are absolutely incredible.

Hopefully Metro runs smoothly on my PC.

My thoughts exactly

brain_stew said:
Minimum spec is within reach of pretty much modern PCs, and it will still look fantastic on minimum spec.
O RLY? Not even Crysis looks passable on Low settings. I need to see it to believe it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ChoklitReign said:
O RLY? Not even Crysis looks passable on Low settings. I need to see it to believe it.
Minimum spec and low settings are not necessarily synonymous. 1080p or higher is becoming the expectation for PC games, so minimum spec can often net you med at 720p with a few things at high.

ChoklitReign said:

I never said "low setting" I said hardware comparable to minimum spec. The 360 version looks fantastic and the minimum hardware requirements are pretty significantly above what is usually the 360's equivalent in a multiplatform release so you're very likely to get better visuals/performance than the 360 version with minimum spec. hardware. Crysis may now look great on minimum settings, but it sure as hell does look fantastic with the hardware specified in Metro's minimum requirements.

So tempted to place my order through Amazon for the 360 version! Still have that $20 credit so it wouldn't be much, but I'm just not sure....the atmosphere looks great, it's just something bothers me, I don't know what XD

FLEABttn said:
16th isn't a release date but a ship date. Unlikely that many more than a few people actually get it tomorrow.
Actually I just got an email today saying it shipped, I should have it in my hot little hands on Wednesday! I have Prime though so that helps.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Zenith said:
why would they embargo a country? did THQ forget the internet was global or something?

LOL, I do not know. I was told I had the game early and not many others didn't, so it wasn't "fair" that I could post it early. Thus, maybe they want IGN to be the first to post lol.

burgerdog

1 day 2 hours for the steam unlock? D: So 6PM EST? That's lame ;/ Why so late? I wanted to play some Metro while waiting for UPS to deliver God of War 3.

Top Bottom