• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

burgerdog

Bi50N said:
We just dropped our final trailer - it's on GameTrailers.com now.

If you're already decided on this game, you might want to give it a miss. I wouldn't call them spoilers, but we do show a few new things...

On the other hand, if you want to fuel the internal hype, go see it because it is, in my humble opinion, our best one yet :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-struggle-metro-2033/63067

Already bought the game on steam about a month ago! I think I'll wait since the game hits tomorrow, I'll give it a go after I beat the game :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bi50N said:

If you're already decided on this game, you might want to give it a miss. I wouldn't call them spoilers, but we do show a few new things...

On the other hand, if you want to fuel the internal hype, go see it because it is, in my humble opinion, our best one yet :D

Looks fantastic!

S1kkZ

Bi50N said:

holy shit! there are way too many spoilers in there!
DONT watch this if you want to play the game!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
S1kkZ said:
Do watch if you're on the fence, however. My interest seriously increased from that little trailer simply because it shows that there is more to the game than I have anticipated.

I just hope this isn't another STALKER. I've tried so many times to get into STALKER, but I just can't enjoy it. I love real life urbex and Pripyat is one of those places I've always dreamed of exploring and PC games of that variety are also among my favorite. There's just something about those games that didn't work for me, though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bi50N said:

You realize that you're basically the entire marketing drive behind this game, right? Seriously. Print this out, hand it to whoever signs your paychecks, and demand a goddamn raise. You're doing great work on GAF, and I'd like to see you involved in getting the next THQ game more visibility. Perhaps if they allot you a bigger budget next time, you could actually let people outside of one thread on GAF about that game.

Zenith

Banned
hehe, 28 days later music.

Don't see what the fuss is about spoilers. Just lots of cool gameplay clips spliced together. It's the best trailer out of all the ones they've released. Don't deprive yourself of it. I'm sure the video reviews will have much more spoilery stuff.

FLEABttn

Banned
WanderingWind said:
You realize that you're basically the entire marketing drive behind this game, right? Seriously. Print this out, hand it to whoever signs your paychecks, and demand a goddamn raise. You're doing great work on GAF, and I'd like to see you involved in getting the next THQ game more visibility. Perhaps if they allot you a bigger budget next time, you could actually let people outside of one thread on GAF about that game.

Maybe I'm watching the wrong TV channels, but I have seen two commercials for Metro 2033 already.

derFeef

S1kkZ said:
I have not seen any spoilers, but that depends on what you call "spoiler". That are some awesome gameplay clips we have already seen I think. Nice trailer, can not wait for the SE!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy shit that trailer was awesome, great use of the 28 Days Later music (<3 than movie and soundtrack). I'm wicked hyped for tomorrow. So glad I pre-ordered!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
FLEABttn said:
Maybe I'm watching the wrong TV channels, but I have seen two commercials for Metro 2033 already.

Maybe I've missed them, dunno. But I do know, the game is criminally underrepresented on nearly every gaming site, and NONE of the game stores in my area have anything advertising it, and the clerks at the store I tried to preorder it from had not heard about it at all.

In any case, I know Bi5on's posts here have definitely sold some on the game. I personally am very excited for my copy to arrive.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
So I am giving away two copies of Metro 2033. I already have them in hand, so I am running two contests to give them away.

One is via Twitter, the other is via my publication'sFacebook. Facebook is the easiest to win, just write a comment about how'd you survive in the post-apocalyptic world of Moscow -- best answer wins.

Hmm, I ordered this from GameStop.com when they had free overnight shipping and it said I would be getting it tomorrow, but it still hasn't shipped.

nilam01

Banned
This game releases tomorrow so where the hell are all the reviews. If they are so confident about the game being good why the hell would you embargo the reviews till release date? There is barely any advertisement, so the only way this game will manage some sales is if you let the major sites review the damn game.

nilam01 said:
This game releases tomorrow so where the hell are all the reviews. If they are so confident about the game being good why the hell would you embargo the reviews till release date? There is barely any advertisement, so the only way this game will manage some sales is if you let the major sites review the damn game.

There are a few reviews out already, however, the big guns haven't shown their cards just yet. Its unfortunate because if the PC version is all that I would have preferred to pre-purchase it on Steam and receive the free Red Guerilla. Waiting until tomorrow when the reviews arrive will negate that possibility.

LovingSteam said:
There are a few reviews out already, however, the big guns haven't shown their cards just yet. Its unfortunate because if the PC version is all that I would have preferred to pre-purchase it on Steam and receive the free Red Guerilla. Waiting until tomorrow when the reviews arrive will negate that possibility.

Red Faction: Guerilla is a bloody awesome bonus, especially now people have figured out how to force DX9 mode which gets rid of all the speedup/audio/performance issues it previously had in Vista/W7. I'm playing through it now and loving it.

Caspel said:
So I am giving away two copies of Metro 2033. I already have them in hand, so I am running two contests to give them away.

One is via Twitter, the other is via my publication'sFacebook. Facebook is the easiest to win, just write a comment about how'd you survive in the post-apocalyptic world of Moscow -- best answer wins.

signed up for the facebook :)

burgerdog

brain_stew said:
Red Faction: Guerilla is a bloody awesome bonus, especially now people have figured out how to force DX9 mode which gets rid of all the speedup/audio/performance issues it previously had in Vista/W7. I'm playing through it now and loving it.

Is it the click on desktop like a madman until the game starts trick? :O

WAT, according to steam This game will unlock in approximately 7 hours! YESSSSSSSS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brain_stew said:

What method do you speak of? None of the methods I found worked.

kylej

Banned
Bi50N said:

Looks good. Makes me proud to minor in Russian.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Game is unlocking at midnight now! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

brain_stew said:

I need to look into this. I started playing and 10 minutes later I wanted to kill myself.

burgerdog said:
Is it the click on desktop like a madman until the game starts trick? :O

WAT, according to steam This game will unlock in approximately 7 hours! YESSSSSSSS.

Yes! :lol

Does the job though, I found creating a desktop shortcut guaranteed 100% success. Game is excellent on the PC after that, looks and performs great and is so much fun.

So excited for this! I've been dying for a Stalker-esque experience on consoles, and everything about this game looks immersive & fun. I'm skipping on that trailer, I wanna be surprised.

And yeah, PC players getting Red Faction: Guerilla (the only open world game I've been compelled to finished this gen) for free is an insane bonus. BUY THIS GAME.

Wish Steam was already out on Macs so I could play this on my laptop...

_tetsuo_ said:
Game is unlocking at midnight now! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

I need to look into this. I started playing and 10 minutes later I wanted to kill myself.

Just create a desktop shortcut, and as soon as you double click to launch the game click repeatedly on the desktop until the first video starts playing. There's a few ways to check to see if it has worked but I found the easiest was just to run FRAPs, if the counter has a transparent background you're running in DX9 mode and the trick has worked. The main menu should also be a little laggy and the "advanced options won't have SSAO and sunshafts settings. Works everytime once I made a desktop shortcut, totally stupid but it works great and fixes pretty much everything.

brain_stew said:
What in the fuck is wrong with Steam UK recently, loads of games are just vanishing randomly, the hell is going on!?

If it makes you feel better, a couple of games on the US page have disappeared that are still available in the UK (RISEN for one)

Just an FYI, I wouldn't count on it unlocking at 12am EST. Valve has a history for having a particular unlock time only to change it at the last minute. Hopefully I am wrong.

bigswords

Can I ask a silly question? I have a 5870 ATI card, am I gimped? Will the framerate be as terrible as that Russian Puzzle game if I do not have a Nvidia GPU?

Goddamn video card exclusivity!

blazinglazers said:
So excited for this! I've been dying for a Stalker-esque experience on consoles, and everything about this game looks immersive & fun. I'm skipping on that trailer, I wanna be surprised.

And yeah, PC players getting Red Faction: Guerilla (the only open world game I've been compelled to finished this gen) for free is an insane bonus. BUY THIS GAME.

Wish Steam was already out on Macs so I could play this on my laptop...

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Steam's Mac support isn't going to work quite as you seem to believe. Only Valve games are confirmed to actually available on the Mac side thus far and the selection will be very limited for the foreseeable future. You'll probably never see something like Metro on there.

LovingSteam said:
If it makes you feel better, a couple of games on the US page have disappeared that are still available in the UK (RISEN for one)

Just checked and Risen is gone from the UK store as well. Hurray for digital distribution! :lol

bigswords said:
Can I ask a silly question? I have a 5870 ATI card, am I gimped? Will the framerate be as terrible as that Russian Puzzle game if I do not have a Nvidia GPU?

Goddamn video card exclusivity!

There's no "video card exclusivity." You can accelerate the PhysX effects on your GPU with an Nvidia card, but you won't be missing out on anything by using an ATI card, on the contrary, only ATI users will get the sexy DX11 tessellation and depth of field at launch.

brain_stew said:
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Steam's Mac support isn't going to work quite as you seem to believe. Only Valve games are confirmed to actually available on the Mac side thus far and the selection will be very limited for the foreseeable future. You'll probably never see something like Metro on there.
Eh, well not really surprising I guess. As the dirty cousin of PC gamers, I'm just happy the Mac will finally get some of the benefits. I'll be 360 for this one anyway, but thanks for the heads up.

bigswords

brain_stew said:
Just checked and Risen is gone from the UK store as well. Hurray for digital distribution! :lol

There's no "video card exclusivity." You can accelerate the PhysX effects on your GPU with an Nvidia card, but you won't be missing out on anything by using an ATI card, on the contrary, only ATI users will get the sexy DX11 tessellation and depth of field at launch.

That's a sigh of relief as long the performance is not like Cryostasis where ATI performance was terrible due to no nvidia GPU doing the PhysX

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...d-Physx-benchmarks-of-the-DX10-game/Practice/

Edit: Ah the lack of reading skills on my part, there's an option to disable Physx effects..

Tokubetsu

Saw the trailer and even though it has some spoilers i don't really care, it was fucking awesome. So glad I have this shit preloaded and ready to go!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I've been keeping an eye out on this game hoping it turns out good. I'm really tempted to grab it before the RF:G bonus ends, as that game looks wicked too. But money is short and I don't wanna just toss it around. God of War 3 tomorrow too, and I'll probably end up grabbing Just Cause 2.

However, a strong singleplayer FPS sounds dreamy right now. I wish there were more reviews so I could get an idea on how this will turn out. Has anyone picked or bought the PC version early that could ease my troubled mind?

panda21

LovingSteam said:

MOTHERFUCKERS! i was going to buy that once I finished drakensang. i think they "run out" of CD keys sometimes, no idea how that is even possible. but theres obviously something else wrong with steam in the UK because this is the third game that was in the coming soon and then mysteriously disappeared from the UK steam before launch in the last few weeks.

Liquid Helium said:
I'm in the UK and I bought Metro 2033 off of steam?

not recently though.. it went all weird a few weeks ago and only listed the US release date and no option to pre-order or price any more.

Minsc

Gold Member
This was probably posted a while ago, but there's some good stuff worth repeating:

PCGH: Besides DX11 and GPU-Physic are there any other visual as well as technical differences between the version developed for PC and the consoles? Which technical features can't be realized with the console version?

Oles Shishkovstov: When you have more performance on the table, you can either do nothing as you say (and as most direct console ports do) or you add the features. Because our platforms got equal attention, we took the second route. Naturally most of the features are graphics related but not all. The internal PhysX tick-rate was doubled on PC resulting in more precise collision detection and joint behavior. We "render” almost twice the number of sounds (all with wave-tracing) compared to consoles. That's just a few examples, so that you can see that not only graphics gets a boost. While on the graphics side (that's not a complete list):

• most of the textures are 2048^2 (consoles use 1024^2) **Oblivion w/ Qarl's pack uses 4096^2 :p**
• the shadow-map resolution is up to 9.43 Mpix
• the shadow filtering is much, much better
• the parallax mapping is enabled on all surfaces, some with occlusion-mapping
• we've utilized a lot of "true” volumetric stuff, which is very important in dusty environments
• from DX10 upwards we use correct "local motion blur” (sometimes called "object blur”)
• the light-material response is nearly "physically-correct” on higher quality presets
• the ambient occlusion is greatly improved (especially on higher quality presets)
• sub-surface scattering makes a lot of difference on human faces, hands, etc.
• the geometric detail is somewhat better - because of different LOD selection (not even counting DX11 tessellation)

PCGH: If you had to advertise the visuals of Metro 2033 what would you mention? Can you list some very modern and advanced rendering techniques that you renderer utilizes (HDR, SSAO, Parallax Occlusion Mapping, Tone Mapping and other post effects...)? Don't be afraid to use technical terms.

Oles Shishkovstov: First and foremost: 3D Stereo. The game was developed in 3D and for 3D. That's the only game developed that way as far as I know. Playing the game under DX11 in 3D Stereo is just mind-blowing, it's much, much more amazing than watching Avatar in IMAX.

PCGH: When Developing do you try to leverage very modern PC technologies like Dual GPU Rendering/SLI- or Crossfire Systems? In other words: As far as overall performance is concerned, can players increase it remarkably by buying a second graphics card or a card with two GPUs?

Oles Shishkovstov: Yes we constantly test performance on SLI setups. You should expect linear scaling with the number of GPUs in the system. Of course there are limitations imposed by drivers which are outside of our control.

PCGH: How many core are supported and what is the expected performance gain from 2, 4 or even 8 cores?

Oles Shishkovstov: We support at least two cores, and up to whatever count you have. You should expect linear scaling with the number of cores, when you aren't GPU limited.

PCGH: What different systems run in separate threads? How are the threads scheduled?

Oles Shishkovstov: Every engine which puts specific systems to specific threads is just badly architected, usually because of historical roots. That architecture doesn't scale. The only way to be future proof is so called task-model, where threads are just workers and there are thousands of tasks organized in kind of run-time generated dependency tree. We do exactly that.

PCGH: Does your engine profit from SMT/Hyperthreading or do you recommend turning it off for maximum performance?

Oles Shishkovstov: Definitely, every properly written engine code will benefit from SMT/Hyperthreading. For example on Xbox 360 we get almost 50% speedup from it. So, if your CPU does have this feature - don't turn it off!

PCGH: What are the visual differences between physics calculated by CPU and GPU (via PhysX, OpenCL or even DX Compute)? Are there any features that players without an Nvidia card will miss? What technical features cannot be realized with the CPU as "physics calculator”?

Oles Shishkovstov: There are no visible differences as they both operate on ordinary IEEE floating point. The GPU only allows more compute heavy stuff to be simulated because they are an order of magnitude faster in data-parallel algorithms. As for Metro2033 - the game always calculates rigid-body physics on CPU, but cloth physics, soft-body physics, fluid physics and particle physics on whatever the users have (multiple CPU cores or GPU). Users will be able to enable more compute-intensive stuff via in-game option regardless of what hardware they have.

Much more at the link.

Wow at the Avatar IMAX comment. Really looking forward to impressions.

derFeef

Minsc said:
This was probably posted a while ago, but there's some good stuff worth repeating:

Much more at the link.

Wow at the Avatar IMAX comment. Really looking forward to impressions.
Aw man this engine seems to be truly impressive. Can not wait to unleash my PC on this. Sadly my 5970 ins in reparis, stuck with 4870 X2 :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have purchased the game for the PC and am getting it in the mail wednesday.

How will my pc fair in showing all the wiz-bang effects other than the 3d stuff at a resolution of 1680*1050??

4870x2
9550 quad core OC'd to 3.4 ghz
4 gigs ddr 3

Better be damn good. I usually get this stuff for consoles but im trying to make an effort to buy pc games for the better investment.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I might try to OC a little higher to get all I can from this game. Every extra frame counts WARRANTY VOIDED FUUUUUUCK!!!

Top Bottom