• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Tokubetsu

~Kinggi~ said:
I have purchased the game for the PC and am getting it in the mail wednesday.

How will my pc fair in showing all the wiz-bang effects other than the 3d stuff at a resolution of 1680*1050??

4870x2
9550 quad core OC'd to 3.4 ghz
4 gigs ddr 3

Better be damn good. I usually get this stuff for consoles but im trying to make an effort to buy pc games for the better investment.

I'll let you know (unlocking in five hoooours!) I've got a slightly similar system. 4870x2, 9650 Quad core 3.0ghz and 8 gigs of ram.

Metro 2033 is now available in the following territories: Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Macau, and India.

Metro 2033 is now available on Steam for several territories:

Valve said:
Metro 2033 Now Available in some territories!
Product Release - Valve

Metro 2033 is now available in the following territories: Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Macau, and India.

You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Tokubetsu said:
I'll let you know (unlocking in five hoooours!) I've got a slightly similar system. 4870x2, 9650 Quad core 3.0ghz and 8 gigs of ram.

Looks like we all have similar systems.

4870x2, Q9550 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR2.

Will be interesting to see benchmark or perf impressions from all of us!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some more tech pimping.
“The 4A Engine is a fabulous piece of tech,” said Beynon, “and you’ll see Metro 2033 doing things on the 360 that you haven’t seen done before. Personally, I think it looks incredible. But take a look, judge for yourself.
“PC is a another level again,” said Beynon. “I think we scared a few people when we suggested our ‘Optimum’ specs, but ‘Optimum’ means exactly that – the very best set-up for the very best quality and performance. Metro will run well and look great at the minimum spec, let alone ‘Recommended’ which is well within the reach of serious PC gamers.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/15/thq-metro-2033-doing-things-on-360-never-done-before/

Tokubetsu

chespace said:
Looks like we all have similar systems.

4870x2, Q9550 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR2.

Will be interesting to see benchmark or perf impressions from all of us!

JW what drivers are you using? All the 10.2-10.3 horror stories made me stick with 9.11

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wow, didn't realize this was releasing so soon. Bought with just enough time to preload. Can't wait to see this engine in motion. :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Tokubetsu said:
JW what drivers are you using? All the 10.2-10.3 horror stories made me stick with 9.11

10.3 horror? They're not even out... were there problems with the 10.3 betas? Quite a few people had 10.2 problems here, so I skipped them myself, but I'm hoping to upgrade to the 10.3 release drivers if there's no uproar.

Do the 10.3 betas have the 3D implementation built in? Or did that get pushed back again, I think it may be in the 10.4 now actually.

Loxley

Just got word from Amazon that my copy (360) has shipped :D Can't wait.

*edit: Since the majority appear to be grabbing the PC version, I'll be sure to post my own impressions of how it fares on the 360.

Not technically related but they do mention Metro 2033 when discussing 3D TV/gaming

http://gizmodo.com/5493828/screw-avatar-3d-gaming-is-what-will-get-you-to-buy-a-new-tv

I've been skeptical of the big push for 3D in TVs and movies. But I just played the first 45 minutes or so of Metro 2033 on a top-of-the-line 3D-enabled gaming rig and, well, wow.

The graphics of Metro 2033 are very good, to be sure, but they're nothing better than any other major release from the past year. What made the experience great was the 3D. It was amazing how much was added to the feel of the game.

Leaving an underground tunnel into a post-apocalyptic Moscow at night, my vision was filled with floating specs of snow and dust in some lights. But closer to me were some cracks in my gas mask, which represented damage to my character. In the middle distance were some other characters and piles of rubble. Off in the distance was a huge tower.

Each level of depth stood out completely and made the screen feel like a window. Aiming was easier, as I could immediately tell just how far off an enemy was, even when I hadn't seen it before and was unsure of its scale.

Back underground in the subway tunnels that make up 70% of the game, everything was much closer. But I could pass a cracked-open doorway and peer inside at the people sitting there, and it felt like I was really looking into someone's private room.

SpudBud

How well will the game run on this? I'm close to pulling the trigger on steam.

HD5770
Phenom II X3 720 OC'd 3.4
4gb DDR2 1066

timkunedo

Loxley said:

*edit: Since the majority appear to be grabbing the PC version, I'll be sure to post my own impressions of how it fares on the 360.

please do. will be looking forward to it. I'll do the same probably wednesday night after i get some playtime in.

LovingSteam channeling gizmodo.com said:
The graphics of Metro 2033 are very good, to be sure, but they're nothing better than any other major release from the past year.

So... no major game released in the past year looks worse than Metro 2033? Metro 2033 is, at best, tied with the ugliest major games released in the last year. Harsh words indeed. ;)

chespace

Tokubetsu said:

10.2 here. Nothing really wrong with 'em. What problems or horror stories have you heard?

Also, graphics are totally subjective. I think we here in this thread appreciate the tech side of things while most press simply evaluate the whole picture and bad art can really pull down good tech.

Bi50N

Two more PC reviews for you, both 9 / 10 scores from German sites. I've run the URLS's through Google Translate:

GameReactor.de:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.gamereactor.de/Kritiken/1673/Metro%2B2033/

"This game is graphically the new benchmark for what concerns interiors. Even those who "only" uses DirectX 9, gets a graphically wonderful experience required. Under increasing DirectX 11 Tessellation and other quality techniques, the graphical fury still a good piece. Of the light effects on the ruins of Moscow, by the animations, to the textures, the smoke from the muzzle flash, what is offered here, which is first class."

PCAction.de

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pcaction.de/Metro-2033-Test-der-PC-Version-des-Endzeit-Ego-Shooters-ehemaliger-Stalker-Entwickler-Video-Screenshots/Tests/article/view/4068/

Bi50N said:
Two more PC reviews for you, both 9 / 10 scores from German sites. I've run the URLS's through Google Translate:

GameReactor.de:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.gamereactor.de/Kritiken/1673/Metro%2B2033/

"This game is graphically the new benchmark for what concerns interiors. Even those who "only" uses DirectX 9, gets a graphically wonderful experience required. Under increasing DirectX 11 Tessellation and other quality techniques, the graphical fury still a good piece. Of the light effects on the ruins of Moscow, by the animations, to the textures, the smoke from the muzzle flash, what is offered here, which is first class."

PCAction.de

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pcaction.de/Metro-2033-Test-der-PC-Version-des-Endzeit-Ego-Shooters-ehemaliger-Stalker-Entwickler-Video-Screenshots/Tests/article/view/4068/

Uhhh

When STALKER came on the market, it produced more errors than Windows 95, meet at the Toyota and control women. Is Metro 2033 at about the same way?

Much worse! We were able to play the game only if we are either the sound or the graphics off. Otherwise, there was always a crash, ran away because either the graphics or the sound card, and caused a short circuit in the system.

.... ;)

Not your earnestness, her wits! Oder? Or?
Just Kidding! The game ran stable and bug free. But somehow we had to fill this space here, before he left blank and you cancel your subscription out of sheer anger.

GOOD TO KNOW, this is the hardware they used for the review:

Hardware
Dual-processor, Direct X 9 graphics card, 1 GB RAM, 6.5 GB HD, Windows XP

chespace

Just watched the launch trailer.

Sent some shivers up my spine, to be sure.

Love the gunplay sequences in the dark against some beast.

Can't wait.

adelante

Yep just saw it as well...that 28 Days Later soundtrack definitely gave me goosebumps. :lol Awesome trailer, so pumped for this right now!!!~!

Bi50N

GWX

PCAction.de said:
on which our rating is based graphics, because Direct X 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. to be implemented

Google translations rule.

I hope my 9800GTX+ can handle it well with high graphical fidelity and solid (read 45fps+) framerate. :(

Loxley said:

Same here, I'll be picking up my 360 version tomorrow and will post impressions after few hours of playtime...

careksims

I thought the unlock for Steam was tomorrow, but happy to know it will unlock in 3 hours TODAY! It'll be night time and creepy! LOL!

So any word if Gamestop will have this game in tomorrow?
Really not looking forward to driving the whole 5 minutes to get there and find out the game won't be in until Wednesday or whatever.

Druz

GWX said:
Google translations rule.

I hope my 9800GTX+ can handle it well with high graphical fidelity and solid (read 45fps+) framerate. :(

Should be more than enough with a good CPU.

FrankT

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Really not looking forward to driving the whole 5 minutes to get there and find out the game won't be in until Wednesday or whatever.

My local GS is going to have it tomorrow.

tenz0r

PepsimanVsJoe said:

It should be available first thing tomorrow since all GameStop stores should already have this game since it was a street dated game. It arrived in stores last week along with other street dated games like God of War 3, Dragon Age Awakening, Command and Conquer 4 etc. If a GS store is doing a midnight launch for God of War 3 they should be selling it at midnight also, at least the one over here by me is.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
_tetsuo_ said:
I believe that promotion ended yesterday.

I caved and bought Metro about 20 minutes ago and Red Faction is on my uninstalled list.

Hmm, stuck at 48% unlock, well anyways, will post some screens soon hopefully...

Q6600 @ 3.6
4gb 1066

Ill also post some performance impressions as well.

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
Same here.

About Red Faction, did you guys check your emails? It might be there as a gift that needs to be opened, perhaps?

It's not frozen, just slowed down a lot. It just went up to 59%! Don't freak like me haha.

Agent Ironside said:
Hmm, stuck at 48% unlock, well anyways, will post some screens soon hopefully...

Q6600 @ 3.6
4gb 1066

Ill also post some performance impressions as well.

Be sure to play around with the settings first. They're supposed to be including some pretty insane quality levels, so its likely that there'll be some performance killers among them.

Top Bottom