• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Got a bunch of screens of the opening section on max DX10 settings I'll be tossing up in the PC screenshot thread. Game is a beast.

Chesskid1

Banned
i got this from a PC gaming forum from a guy with 25k posts on it so it's probably legit

"This game is a well done console port, not the other way around like they claimed. Lots of things are just weird. No Quick Saves, No Full Body even though at times it seems like it should have it. Video Option choices are limited to Low, Med, High and Very High (can't configure them). No Walk option, must crouch. Forces me to use Wired X360 Gamepad and only prompts me with its buttons during tutorial even though Keyboard works fine."

poor brainstew?? :( hopefully he's a liar.

Chesskid1 said:
i got this from a PC gaming forum from a guy with 25k posts on it so it's probably legit

"This game is a well done console port, not the other way around like they claimed. Lots of things are just weird. No Quick Saves, No Full Body even though at times it seems like it should have it. Video Option choices are limited to Low, Med, High and Very High (can't configure them). No Walk option, must crouch. "

This was my concern.

Tokubetsu

Chesskid1 said:

"This game is a well done console port, not the other way around like they claimed. Lots of things are just weird. No Quick Saves, No Full Body even though at times it seems like it should have it. Video Option choices are limited to Low, Med, High and Very High (can't configure them). No Walk option, must crouch. "

There is a file in the steam folder that allows you to enable Supersampling among other things. I haven't figured it out completely yet but yes, in game options are disappointing. However, performance IS good.

I've never been one for quick saves and Tokubetsu just confirmed there's plenty of config file tweaks so that's not an issue either.

Do not run in Dx11 mode, killed my 5850, 18-30 fps. DX10 at very high currently, will have to tone down even more for some sections where it drops.

Anyways as promised, These screens are at DX10 Very High Settings, running at about 25-40 through these scenes. Just a tease, amazing looking game, thats the gas mask filter btw.

screen1wd.jpg

screen2ge.jpg

screen3d.jpg

x3sphere

I can't seem to get playable performance with anything above 1680x1050 @ DX11 very high on my HD5970. Screen:

Metro2033-2010-03-15-21-47-42-64.jpg

VRAM limitation? It seems like it. Whenever I go up to 1920x1200 it chugs at 1 FPS.

x3sphere said:
I can't seem to get playable performance with anything above 1680x1050 @ DX11 very high on my HD5970.

VRAM limitation? It seems like it. Whenever I go up to 1920x1200 it chugs at 1 FPS.

wow wtf? could it be an Nvidia money hat?

Tone down the level of AA if you want to avoid a VRAM bottleneck. Your framebuffer will double in size with 2xmsaa and quadruple with 4xmsaa so it can quite quickly get out of hand at high resolutions. If its enabling the inengine supersampling as well that'll also kill performance and increase the size of your framaebuffer. Fwiw, analytical AA shouldn't have any significant memory cost, so think about using that instead of msaa. I always thought a 1GB framebuffer was way too small for a 5970.

Kabuki Waq said:
wow wtf? could it be an Nvidia money hat?

Enough of the FUD, thanks. ATI should have never made a reference design 5970 with anything less than a 2GB framebuffer (2x2GB), it was always going to be a ridiculous bottleneck and I can see this trend rearing its ugly head many more times in the future.

x3sphere said:
I can't seem to get playable performance with anything above 1680x1050 @ DX11 very high on my HD5970.

It may not have a profile yet, though. Try turning on and off AI in CCC, if you don't get an FPS drop with AI disabled, then turn it back on and try renaming the game's exe (Crysis, Bioshock, Unreal3, etc.) and see if you find a winner.

brain_stew said:
Enough of the FUD, thanks. ATI should have never made a reference design 5970 with anything less than a 2GB framebuffer (2x2GB), it was always going to be a ridiculous bottleneck and I can see this trend rearing its ugly head many more times in the future.

Speaking of FUD, shouldn't we wait to see what the actual problem is?

x3sphere

brain_stew said:
Tone down the level of AA if you want to avoid a VRAM bottleneck. Your framebuffer will double in size with 2xmsaa and quadruple with 4xmsaa so it can quite quickly get out of hand at high resolutions. If its enabling the inengine supersampling as well that'll also kill performance and increase the size of your framaebuffer. I always thought a 1GB framebuffer was way too small for a 5970.

Enough of the FUD, thanks.

AA is set to the default setting, "AAA" There's only two options with DX11, that or 4XMSAA. If I toggle over to 4XMSAA the stuttering crops up even at 1680x1050 so whatever "AAA" is, it seems to be less demanding.

Anyone know how to modify the config settings? There's a .player file in C:\Users\username\Documents\4A Games\Metro 2033 but it's not in plaintext. The user.cfg in "steamapps\common\metro 2033" is seemingly just a list of defaults, doesn't change the actual settings.

I'm going to try disabling Catalyst AI now. It could just be a driver issue (I'm running the latest set though..)

EDIT: Same thing happens with Cat AI disabled. Performance is lower in 1680x1050 with it disabled, as well (around 18FPS, as opposed to around 30 FPS with it enabled) so crossfire is indeed working.

CabbageRed said:
Speaking of FUD, shouldn't we wait to see what the actual problem is?

Whether that's the issue here or not, 1GB is clearly going to be a huge bottleneck for a 5970. Its been proven to hold back a plain old 5870, nevermind 2 of them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
Benchmark

site isn't in english, but the charts are. you can use google translate if you wanna but the performance charts are the most interesting thing.
Curious to know why the 4870x2 is omitted from all those benchmarks.

Chesskid1 said:
Benchmark

site isn't in english, but the charts are. you can use google translate if you wanna but the performance charts are the most interesting thing.

At least we can put to bed any claims of Nvidia money hats then, it seems to perform best on ATI's hardware.

~Kinggi~ said:
Curious to know why the 4870x2 is omitted from all those benchmarks.

Maybe they didn't have one on hand??? There's no multi GPU results there at all, probably for the best, you can't compare them results directly to a single GPU anyway.

x3sphere

Chesskid1 said:
Benchmark

Well interesting that they didn't seem to test DX11 with tessellation and DoF on at anything higher than 1680x1050...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm not one for hyperbole and bullshit, but the shootout with Hunter and Alex in the "entrance area" damn near looked pre rendered. So fucking amazing. Framerate was also so fucking bad :lol

Chesskid1 said:
Benchmark

PhysX is broken, or did I miss something? And pretty middling performance all around, but hopefully new drivers and a patch or two will help out. To their credit, THQ did support RFG long after it was released.

x3sphere

I can run it fine with everything maxed under DX10 @ 2560x1600 (around 25-30FPS). So no issue there. The performance is only abysmal under DX11.

Going to settle on playing this at 1920x1080 DX10 very high for now. Gives me very comfortable performance at that mix of settings. Looks great too.

Calantus said:
I'm scared to try this with a 9800 gt

You don't have to use max settings you know. Plenty of people will be enjoying the 360 version and that looks to be running something like low/medium PC settings and yet its still one of, if not, the best looking game on the system.

CabbageRed said:
PhysX is broken, or did I miss something? And pretty middling performance all around, but hopefully new drivers and a patch or two will help out. To their credit, THQ did support RFG long after it was released.

The game seems to be GPU bottlenecked, thus offloading some of the CPU work onto the GPU is going to negatively affect performance. That setting only looks useful for those with low end CPUs but a high end Nvidia GPU

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
965 BE 3.4
HD 5770
ddr3 4 gigs

Getting 18-22 fps in DX11 and pretty much a solid 40-45 in DX10. At 1680x1050. Will update as I put a few more minutes into it.

Quick edit: Shot up to 55, then dropped to 35. So uh.. I'll just keep playing and see what happens.

brain_stew said:
The game seems to be GPU bottlenecked, thus offloading some of the CPU work onto the GPU is going to negatively affect performance. That setting only looks useful for those with low end CPUs but a high end Nvidia GPU

It's not doing anything special like Batman or Mirror's Edge? That's a pity. Of course, I cannot use them anyway, but it's fun watching what developers cook up.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Getting 18-22 fps in DX11 and pretty much a solid 40-45 in DX10. At 1680x1050. Will update as I put a few more minutes into it.

Very respectable. :) I'm betting after a patch or two + new drivers, this game will be purring along.

OMG this game, the indoor environments are insaaaane, im running dx10 high settings, getting about 50-60 indoor, I cant believe what im seeing in some cases, straight up prerendered quality goodness. Granted like STALKER, its a hit or miss, more hit in this case than STALKER though. :lol

SirButterstick said:
Looks awesome. Too bad I get only audio and a black screen :(

A poster from SA forums had the same problem and did the following:

OgNar said:
I got it running on Win7x64 with this.

Browse to your this folder in your Steam path:
\Steam\userdata\(user id)\43110\remote
With your own user id.

In that folder you should find the Metro user.cfg file that the steam cloud saves locally. Open it and change the fullscreen value to off, then save the file.

I can't get it back to full screen, but hey at least its working.
And after all those Rubles I paid too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3274203&pagenumber=5#post373921098

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The difference between performance in High and Very High is crazy. The game is pretty much pushing 60 or close to 60 at all times at 1920x1200 with AAA and 4xMSAA on, DX10. On Very High, I get 20-40fps, mostly hovering around 30.

_tetsuo_ said:
The difference between performance in High and Very High is crazy. The game is pretty much pushing 60 or close to 60 at all times at 1920x1200 with AAA and 4xMSAA on, DX10. On Very High, I get 20-40fps, mostly hovering around 30.
Welcome to the world of wonderful post effects, they hurt like hell but they sure are pretty.

_tetsuo_ said:

Perhaps its enabling supersampling? Would surely explain the difference in performance. As long as I can get high settings + AAA + object motion blur without too many drops from my 50hz refresh rate I'll be happy.

Top Bottom