• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
The difference between performance in High and Very High is crazy. The game is pretty much pushing 60 or close to 60 at all times at 1920x1200 with AAA and 4xMSAA on, DX10. On Very High, I get 20-40fps, mostly hovering around 30.

Yeah but so worth it. The game is like a beautiful movie and amazing in motion on very high. I'm still getting pretty great FPS on Very High but any scene with lots of smoke and volumetric lighting will pretty ALWAYS drop my FPS down to 20-30 from 40-50+ ish

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Honestly, how scary are the monster/ghost sections in the game? Game looks mad interesting but I'm not exactly the bravest gamer. Keep in mind that I found Dead Space petrifyingly unplayable due to my fright, but I find bioshock un-scary. Would you recommend this game to me? :D

Well I have only played about the first hour or so but I am impressed. Realize that I am playing on a 8800GTS, 2gigs of ram, XP, and 6400 core 2. Game looks very VERY good.

Tokubetsu

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Honestly, how scary are the monster/ghost sections in the game? Game looks mad interesting but I'm not exactly the bravest gamer. Keep in mind that I found Dead Space petrifyingly unplayable due to my fright, but I find bioshock un-scary. Would you recommend this game to me? :D

I'm not too far in but it's not too scary so far. I still haven't finished Dead Space as well (Chapter 6...I made it half way!) but this is manageable so far. You kinda always KNOW when you have to fight. It's not like Dead Space with spawn closets (vents).

black_vegeta said:
How's the actual gameplay so far?

Hmm haven't gotten very far but what I have experienced I like a lot. I actually liked the shooting. It isn't easy and simplified but yet its not too difficult, if that makes sense. The atmosphere so far is definitely impressive. The little details are what stick out for me. The lighting is simply fantastic. Visually its a mix between very realistic and Uncharted 2 in regards to the artistic design. If the game continues at this level I will definitely not be sorry to have spent $50 for the 8-10 hours it supposedly takes the first time around.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Can't get fraps running at the same time for some reason. No screenshots yet. :p

Very high settings at 1920x1200 with DX10 rapes my system pretty good when there's crazy volumetric lights and lots of action (first combat scene when you put on the gas mask).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
20fps on a 5850 @ 1680x1050 with dx11 maxed out and no AA? So probably not 30fps on my 5870 at 1080p, then, eh. Ah well. Will wait for some more detailed benchmarks.

Tokubetsu

EviLore said:
20fps on a 5850 @ 1680x1050 with dx11 maxed out and no AA? So probably not 30fps on my 5870 at 1080p, then, eh. Ah well. Will wait for some more detailed benchmarks.

For now, you cant seem to run in DX11 and get decent frames. I'm sure with some editing of the user file you can.

LovingSteam said:
Hmm haven't gotten very far but what I have experienced I like a lot. I actually liked the shooting. It isn't easy and simplified but yet its not too difficult, if that makes sense. The atmosphere so far is definitely impressive. The little details are what stick out for me. The lighting is simply fantastic. Visually its a mix between very realistic and Uncharted 2 in regards to the artistic design. If the game continues at this level I will definitely not be sorry to have spent $50 for the 8-10 hours it supposedly takes the first time around.
Cool, thanks.

Since I don't have powerful gaming rug, I'm going to get this on the 360. Can't wait to hear the impressions on it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm not seeing what is wrong with the shooting. I turned crosshairs off and every thing feels great with the mouse and with the 360 controller.

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
I'm not seeing what is wrong with the shooting. I turned crosshairs off and every thing feels great with the mouse and with the 360 controller.

Yeah. The shooting feels fine to me also.

x3sphere

Man this game is amazing.. freaky as hell too, especially this part:

Metro2033-2010-03-15-23-57-53-55.jpg

The shooting feels just fine to me, no complaints there.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
If I downgrade my res one notch I get decent framerates at Very High and DX10.

The monster animation and motion blur in this game fucking rocks.

No time to play much now. Will explore more tomorrow. Looks fucking amazing.

Really interesting game so far. Has anyone played more than a couple hour? Does it turn into less of a series of vignettes? I guess that's actually fairly normal for linear shooters these days, I've just been playing so many crazy open-world things lately that it feels really unusual to me by comparison.

With respect to that linearity though, I really like how they frame it with the narration. It makes it feel more like a book than any other book adaptation I've played (not that there are all that many to play). I also like how you start out moving station by station towards the center of the metro map, and yet there are all these other branches heading inwards as well; it makes me actively curious about whether the other branches will all be visited.

What kind of hardware do the Very High folks have? I'm running it on High right now, and I didn't bother trying Very High. I've got an i5 750 with a 4870 2GB.

_tetsuo_ said:
Good lord. I can not stress how ridiculous this game looks in motion on Very High.

Dude your telling me, I cant believe it, absolutely amazing. I know its not a large environment etc etc. But still does not take away how insane it looks.

golem

Tokubetsu said:
Yeah. The shooting feels fine to me also.
The shooting feels fine but i think the sound effects could use more umph. Also the monsters seem to attack low so I'm always having to aim at the ground.

kitch9

Banned
EviLore said:

I've cancelled my pre-order and I'll wait for a patch or two, my back log is massive anyways.

EviLore said:
I'm running it on High with a 5870 with AA and what seems like quite a good framerate. I haven't tried Very High yet.

Edit: This is at 1920x1080

Dennis

Banned
Can someone with a DX11 card please post some shots with all settings Very High, DX11 and at least 4xAA?

I dont care if your fps counter says 6, I just want to see how good it can look? :lol

Also, from the shots posted, the shadows look to be high resolution with no jagged edges. Can people confirm?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Game randomly crashed, so I'm calling it quits for the night. Got to the part where you are on your own. Game suddenly got a lot creepier, even more so when I decided to play it quiet when some monster came sniffing around. Freaky watching it sniff around while you are crouched down in some corner praying you won't waste your last two clips on this thing.

I was playing on High at DX10 and was sitting around 35-50 range (Normally 45+ indoors), played a tad with Very High on DX10 and was sitting around 28. =/ Guess I'm going to start overclocking my shit soon.

Edit: Give me a few minutes Dennis and I'll toss a few up. I'm outside though, so I gotta keep the gasmask on.

adelante

Chris Remo said:
Really interesting game so far. Has anyone played more than a couple hour? Does it turn into less of a series of vignettes? I guess that's actually fairly normal for linear shooters these days, I've just been playing so many crazy open-world things lately that it feels really unusual to me by comparison.

With respect to that linearity though, I really like how they frame it with the narration. It makes it feel more like a book than any other book adaptation I've played (not that there are all that many to play). I also like how you start out moving station by station towards the center of the metro map, and yet there are all these other branches heading inwards as well; it makes me actively curious about whether the other branches will all be visited.
I was looking forward to what you guys have to say about the game on Idle Thumbs...guess it's safe to say I'll be looking forward to the upcoming episode then :D

x3sphere

DennisK4 said:
Can someone with a DX11 card please post some shots with all settings Very High, DX11 and at least 4xAA?

I dont care if your fps counter says 6, I just want to see how good it can look? :lol

Also, from the shots posted, the shadows look to be high resolution with no jagged edges. Can people confirm?

I'd try but the FPS literally drops to 1 when switching to DX11 at 1080p, would take forever to get in-game.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Incoming two quick shots at Very High in DX11. Can't even enjoy the moment and take the damn screens with shit trying to kill me left and right and with my framerate taking a dump on itself with these settings.

Also accidently recorded some footage while spamming the fraps SS button. Which I keep forgetting is at F10 haha. Maybe I'll post the video later.

Outdoors is very bleh compared to indoors as far as textures go. That or my PC is not doing what it's supposed to do.

1680x1050 Pics:

i5otci.jpg

sm67fs.jpg

I can drop them to just links if they are too large for this thread.

DennisK4 said:

it drops down to 14 fps with my 5870 and core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz at 1920x1080.. looks absolutely amazing, though..

kicking it down to DX 10 keeps things between 30 and 50 fps so far.. quite playable.

I don't think this game is poorly optimized.. I just think it requires a lot of video ram.. so the 1GB 5870 cards are hitting the wall performance wise.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
According to Play-Asia the Asian 360 version is region free. I'll see about buying it at the weekend.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
this game is definately on my radar for "things to buy when they go on sale on steam"

along with Bioshock 2.

big_z

word is new nvidia drivers this week. im going to wait and pray they dont fuck them up. im still using 186.18 since the new ones suck but unfortunately metro wont start with them.

Tokubetsu

Just a heads up, the real user config file seems to be in your appdata folder, not the one in steamapps.

EDIT: At the very least, it has more options.

Kodiak said:
this game is definately on my radar for "things to buy when they go on sale on steam"

I was thinking the same thing, it looks great though. Hopefully I have the willpower to wait, I have a crap ton of games to get through already.

x3sphere

Hrm, interesting. Running it in DX11 but turning tessellation off nets me a pretty playable framerate at 1080p, around 40FPS. As soon as tessellation is turned on.. bam single digits.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So we've established that the game is pretty and runs like shit on the highest detail levels. Moving on... is it any good?

x3sphere said:
Hrm, interesting. Running it in DX11 but turning tessellation off nets me a pretty playable framerate at 1080p, around 40FPS. As soon as tessellation is turned on.. bam single digits.

Interesting.. I'll have to try that.

That would explain why FERMI is on their optimum spec sheet.. it is supposed to be a monster w/ tessellation performance.

forrest

formerly nacire
x3sphere said:

Sounds like this could be key. Any adjustment for level of tessellation or is it strictly on or off?

brain_stew said:
Plenty of people will be enjoying the 360 version and that looks to be running something like low/medium PC settings and yet its still one of, if not, the best looking game on the system.

Actually, somewhere between medium and high is what they said.

So, no Xbox 360 impressions yet?

x3sphere

nacire said:
Sounds like this could be key. Any adjustment for level of tessellation or is it strictly on or off?

You may be able to fine tune it manually in the config, haven't checked that out yet. But the in game option is either on or off.

Top Bottom