• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

Animator

Beat the game. Play time on normal: 8 hours.

Overall impressions: An improvement in almost every way, but not as scary as the original.

I don't know about you but I am shitting my pants in those tunnels with the fast moving spider fuckers. Scariest goddamn enemy in any game :(

I'm a few hours in and it definitely feels easier than Ranger easy on Metro 2033. There's just so much ammo hanging around, and the stealth has been made so easy compared to the original that comparatively I end up using a lot less ammo this time around. The damage you and the enemies can take is also ratcheted up from ranger easy in 2033.

I don't understand why they couldn't limit these things further. The whole 'scraping for survival' feel is just totally gone for me. The game is good, but RH needs patching because it doesn't much like the old ranger modes.

Yeah, definitely doesn't feel quite the same in terms of the amount of ammo. I did scrap the same but didn't realize until I got to a camp how much I had. Although as I said, I'm not sure if that's just because I didn't use as much or if it really does give much more even on Ranger Hardcore. Was nice that enemies still go down in one or two decent shots. Did they "fix" the sponge issue on the other modes? Was never sure if it was intended given the military currency does more damage.

At the same time there are moments where you fight a considerable amount of monsters so I suppose there had to be? I think the game still felt like Metro, but it definitely wasn't quite as much of a struggle(in a good way).

If nothing else THANK GOODNESS THERE WERE NO AMOEBAS. I was worried when they said
we were going back to D6

shit. thanks. Do you know what it comes under in the keybind settings though because I changed E to flashlight.

I was wondering about how to get through some stages without killing an enemy while looking at the achievement list; it didn't seem plausible other than running through the level. It makes more sense now lol.

I did the first 5 levels without killing or being seen by any human enemies. I have so much ammo now it's ridiculous. But it's E by default, so I imagine if you changed it to flash light that it's probably been bound to F.

Playing the game with German V/O and I mist say it sounds much better than the strangely voiced english V/O (especially Artyom). The only problem is the children are quite obviously voiced by adults in the german v/o.

Russian would obviously be the best... but I would miss all the really great side conversations.

More of my let's play went up, finally get into some stealth sections, though I blew the first one :p Stealth is indeed far far easier and almost too easy, but it feels great nonetheless.

Part 3

Part 4

The Game runs so damn well it's really surprising

Anyone who got the Metro 2033 PDF with the Steam version have any luck getting it on a Kindle without having the text being small? I was really looking forward to reading it but the format is butchered on my Kindle. Or does anyone have any tips on getting a PDF on a Kindle without the text being shrunk to the center of the screen?

Oh and to be on topic, I played about 3 hours so far of Last Light and I am absolutely loving it. Runs well on my PC too which surprised me.

nOoblet16

Anyone else finding the game way too easy ?
I'm playing on medium and there's absolutely no challenge at all, should have started on hard but I doubt that would've changed anything at all considering how you can ninja knife your way through every metro section.

KageMaru

Any ideas which console version is better? I know they have more experience with the 360 but the original Metro was meant to lead on the PS3 before that version was dropped.

I'm playing on medium and there's absolutely no challenge at all, should have started on hard but I doubt that would've changed anything at all considering how you can ninja knife your way through every metro section.

Yep, on normal it's far too easy. In fact, I messed up a section of stealth and wanted them to kill me to reload at a check point and it took them forever to actually down me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How is normal Ranger mode? Was thinking of trying it next. I don't want it to be frustratingly hard though... I only had issues with a few spots in my first playthrough.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yep, on normal it's far too easy. In fact, I messed up a section of stealth and wanted them to kill me to reload at a check point and it took them forever to actually down me.

Ranger Hardcore is too easy. Stealth is extremely overpowered and with a combination of silenced weapons, throwing knives and takedowns I have never run out of ammo or tools save for the end of one particularly long and annoying fight. I've died maybe twice. There's just no challenge so long as you can shoot straight.

legacyzero

Banned
Or you're just THAT DAMN GOOD.

Ranger Hardcore is too easy. Stealth is extremely overpowered and with a combination of silenced weapons, throwing knives and takedowns I have never run out of ammo or tools save for the end of one particularly long and annoying fight. I've died maybe twice. There's just no challenge so long as you can shoot straight.

This was a fear I expressed in the lead up to the launch, that in trying to fix the broken cumbersome stealth of the first, they went way too far in the opposite direction where it's far too easy.

I've only gone through the first 2 proper places for stealth so far though so I will reserve proper judgement for later

v0mitg0d

Don't know if this was posted:

Jason Rubin: Metro: Last Light is the "triumph of an underdog"

Pretty interesting article regarding 4A and the conditions under which Last Light was made.

This is incredibly interesting. GAF this is something we should all read. It's pretty remarkable, and honestly--for better or for worse--allows me to let a few of those bugs slide just a tad.

And all of this is compounded by the conditions this Ukrainian team works under in Kiev. The entire 4A studio would fit easily in the (underutilized) gym at EA Los Angeles' offices. Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor Warfighter. As undeniably fantastic as competitor BioShock Infinite may be, the team was given whatever resources they needed to make the title. At the same time, 4A's staff sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.

.....wow. That's dedication!

DSmalls84

I have only played the first 2 hours so far and it seems pretty polished to me...at least more so than I remember 2033 being. That's a great point about Devs in the states pushing out shit games in luxury conditions though. Good read and makes me appreciate Last Light more.

I still feel like this is one of the best FPS games ever created.(and I haven't even completed it)

After reading that, I now know that 4A is quality developer who just needs a chance. Not sure they'll get it under Deep Silver publishing. We'll see

What's the best difficulty to play this on? I played the last game on easy which I believe was a mistake as it just made the enemies take more damage.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm wondering how the console versions turned out myself as well. Hopefully DF has a face off this weekend, I don't want to wait longer than that to pick it up.

Can't say about PS3 but the Xbox version was fine. A bit of framerate drop here and there but nothing huge.

Sethos

Banned
Nope.

Nooope.

Nope, nope, nope.

Nein.

Nope.

metroll2013-05-1522-3xwlxq.png

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, had a few bugs as well. One time I was wandering around for 20 minutes figuring out what the hell to do ( Ranger mode isn't exactly an information highway. ) decided to restart from the last checkpoint and the guy I was with starts doing what he was supposed to.

TentPole

So how do available resources in Normal-Hardcore compare to the Ranger difficulties. I like the low resources but the inability to check how much ammo I am carrying is driving me crazy and I am thinking about starting over.

Top Bottom