• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

suaveric

OK, I'm in my post credits sweep of the game and I can't seem to figure out how to get an item in Sector 1.
The map shows it to be in the room where you had to beat the nest/queen of those annoying flying guys early in the game. I can't even see where or what this item is, let alone get to it. I've looked all around the room. Any help would be great, thanks.

wsippel

Banned
upandaway said:
..I don't... what?
What exactly is it you don't understand? Initially, Metroid was a series of games about a faceless, silent avatar wearing powered armor wading through the same cliched environments killing humanoid insects, flying jellyfish and a purple space dragon again and again. That sure was nice back in the day for a couple of games, but it became stale.

Now it's about Samus Aran, a woman in her mid twenties with a troubled past, thoughtful and polite, willing to follow orders if they don't go against her beliefs, who knows how to kick some serious ass if she has to. With that character in the spotlight, future games can do away with almost all the old conventions, some of which are horribly cliched and outdated. I personally think that's great. I would actually like to see a whole Metroid game without a power suit, without space pirates and even without any metroids.

JohngPR

Wow, this thread is nuts....can't keep up with the flow of conversation here.

Anyway, Phil Kollar of Game Informer fame was having a Twitter convo with Mielke about Metroid Other M and had this to say when Mielke stated that he didn't like the controls:

I'm relieved to hear you think the controls are clunky as well. A lot of apologists for them, but there seem to be some core design problems with how the controls are laid out as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know why, but it kind of bothered me that he seemed to basically clump all of the people that like the controls in Other M into the label of "Apologists".

I asked him about it, but he never replied. :(

Boney

Banned
JohngPR said:

Anyway, Phil Kollar of Game Informer fame was having a Twitter convo with Mielke about Metroid Other M and had this to say when Mielke stated that he didn't like the controls:

I'm relieved to hear you think the controls are clunky as well. A lot of apologists for them, but there seem to be some core design problems with how the controls are laid out as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know why, but it kind of bothered me that he seemed to basically clump all of the people that like the controls in Other M into the label of "Apologists".

Game Informer guy said the game revolved around runnin in circles waiting for your beam to charge and fire. Rinse and repeat. So.. yeah...

JohngPR said:

Game reviewers are people, too, most of them indistinguishable from anyone around here. They're equally as capable as we are of falling into Us vs Them mentality and not understanding perspectives outside their own.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Boney said:
Game Informer guy said the game revolved around runnin in circles waiting for your beam to charge and fire. Rinse and repeat. So.. yeah...

A lot of people are going to play this game and never figure out that the enemies even have patterns, or stages they go through. Or that getting better with reading enemies rewards you with faster ways to kill them; sometimes pathetically fast compared to how tough they seem at first.

ant1532

Banned
Im about to rent this with a friend and beat it this week. As huge metroid buffs, whats the consensus on the game gaf? does it deliver the series justice or what?

Koodo

Banned
ant1532 said:
Im about to rent this with a friend and beat it this week. As huge metroid buffs, whats the consensus on the game gaf? does it deliver the series justice or what?
lol

It's fierce, fabulous, gorgeous, refreshing, sip of water in the middle of a fuck hot desert, etc.

Penguin

Kaijima said:
A lot of people are going to play this game and never figure out that the enemies even have patterns, or stages they go through. Or that getting better with reading enemies rewards you with faster ways to kill them; sometimes pathetically fast compared to how tough they seem at first.

Yeah think the best example of it is Brad and those electric nose dudes.

I never had to use my missiles on them and actually never had any issues with the attack.

Another thing, that I think some media played up is that generally you dodge if holding down the D-PAd, but really its better to plan and make sure you are dodging in a direction that sets you up for a counter or doesn't put you in more harm way like some later enemies and bosses.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ant1532 said:

Rainbows. Glorious rainbows wrapped around the purest unicorn sunshine.

Boney

Banned
Kaijima said:
Killing a guy in one shot and a fatal strike, because you interrupt their attacks is just so darn satisfying.

The only concensous it's that it's not the best Metroid game. Some rank it as the lowest, and some give it number 3 or 4. Basically it's all over the place, just like reviews.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ant1532 said:
Definitely not a bad game, but it takes some liberties with mechanics and narrative that some people love and others hate. The voice acting is decent, the actual direction in the cutscenes can be really good (hello spooky white furry thing), but the script badly needed a better localization.

Did I get that right GAF?

wsippel

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Definitely not a bad game, but it takes some liberties with mechanics and narrative that some people love and others hate. The voice acting is decent, the actual direction in the cutscenes can be really good (hello spooky white furry thing), but the script badly needed a better localization.

Did I get that right GAF?
Pretty much. You forgot Where's Waldo, though - and that's the only aspect of the game where GAF really reached a consensus I believe.

Poyunch

ant1532 said:
im gunna get it. hows the musics tho?
Mostly ambient. A few throwbacks/remixes. Generally a disappointment if you expect the same level of catchiness from a past Metroid game.

etiolate said:
there is no musics

I suggest renting it before buying it
I think that's what he's doing.

JohngPR

Segata Sanshiro said:
Game reviewers are people, too, most of them indistinguishable from anyone around here. They're equally as capable as we are of falling into Us vs Them mentality and not understanding perspectives outside their own.

I know...but I still find it annoying. :p

You would hope that someone that gives opinions for a living would be a little more open minded to other people's.

Boney

Banned
ant1532 said:
im gunna get it. hows the musics tho?
Mostly silent and ambient type of deal, except for a few moments when it drives up the intensity. It's not memorable at all, but I think it really does it's job very well.

JohngPR said:
I know...but I still find it annoying. :p

You would hope that someone that gives opinions for a living would be a little more open minded to other people's.
Or at least realize you're not playing correctly.

Combine

Banned
I can't believe I still don't have this yet. Freaking Amazon finally screwed me on shipping for once. (Deciding to ship it from the complete opposite end of the country. Labor Day probably didn't help either)

sfried

ant1532 said:
A bold experiment. Not going to defend it by saying it's flawless, because it does have some serious issues. It still doesn't make it any less great of an action game, and it does show plenty of polish.

ant1532

Banned
meh on the music. wtf. no in depth melodies. yeah, im renting it, i dont even have a wii. but i cant miss out on metroids.

sfried said:
A bold experiment. Not going to defend it by saying it's flawless, because it does have some serious issues. It still doesn't make it any less great of an action game, and it does show plenty of polish.
It easily has some of the best visuals I've seen on the Wii.

Those Dolphin shots in the emulation thread look psychotic.

sfried

Thunder Monkey said:
It easily has some of the best visuals I've seen on the Wii.

Those Dolphin shots in the emulation thread look psychotic.
I actually hasven't seen any Dolphin shots of it yet. And by "psychotic", do you mean "glitchy"?

I'd say just simply the way they blend FMVs with the actual gameplay without making it feel jarring is a very nice touch.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, did the furry chick things silent stare with black eyes really really freak anyone else out, or am I weird? Just the way it went from playful frolic to....stare...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
JohngPR said:

Let me start out by saying that Phil Kollar is the man and I want to hear what James Mielke has to say as well. Onto the apologist thing. Don't take it the wrong way. I'm an apologist as well. There's a lot I like about the game, but questions like this need to be asked. I don't know what Mielke had to say, but I think the controls are clunky as well. It's holding back the game from it's true potential. As an artist, there comes a point in the creation of something that requires compromise. I don't know when the timing went wrong, but it's clear alot of the ideas went awry and most likely could have been prevented with the nun-chuck.

The thing is, without the NES style controls, we never would have seen the advancement in the simplicity of the combat. There was a great achievement made, but it was at the expense of controls. I don't know how else to make sense about it. Yes, I liked the game, but there were a lot of things about it, controls just being one of them that were wrong.

Poyunch

The_Technomancer said:
Also, did the furry chick things silent stare with black eyes really really freak anyone else out, or am I weird? Just the way it went from playful frolic to....stare...
I was suspecting the thing
to be Ridley before the game was out
so I always thought that thing was
evil
. I knew it was never going to happen but I was wondering why Samus didn't just shoot it right there.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
I was suspecting the thing
to be Ridley before the game was out
so I always thought that thing was
evil
. I knew it was never going to happen but I was wondering why Samus didn't just shoot it right there.
That was one of my favorite scenes of the game...
P.S. She wasn't talking...does that make me sexist?

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
That was one of my favorite scenes of the game...
P.S. She wasn't talking...does that make me sexist?
Yes, I'm sorry but you are.

edit: Man that dolphin screen with
the unmasked Nightmare is so awesome.
So desktop-worthy but I don't want to get rid of my current desktop wallpaper.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
Yes, I'm sorry but you are..
Whatever dude. There is a silent strength that women carry. Most men probably don't notice it, Sakamoto being one of them.

Edit - Samus' silence put your thoughts into the character. That is why I like that scene so much.

Poyunch

Oh yeah going over that gallery I really liked the way they handled
the fear of Metroids in that game. I guess like Ridley, Samus shouldn't be reacting the way she did to Metroids at that point but I think it's more of a reflection of how the player would feel. Freaking Metroids are so scary, especially in the Prime series what with how slow you are and how you're in a first person perspective.
Too bad they're not that scary in Other M because of the Sense Move.

MadOdorMachine said:
Whatever dude. There is a silent strength that women carry. Most men probably don't notice it, Sakamoto being one of them.
Counseling will help you realize that you have a problem. The first step is always admitting you have a problem.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
Oh yeah going over that gallery I really liked the way they handled
the fear of Metroids in that game. I guess like Ridley Samus shouldn't be reacting to Metroids at that point but I think it's more of a reflection of how the player would feel. Freaking Metroids are so scary, especially in the Prime series what with how slow you are and how you're in a first person perspective.
Too bad they're not that scary in Other M because of the Sense Move.

Counseling will help you realize that you have a problem. The first step is always admitting you have a problem.
Funny that you mentioned that. There were a few points in the game where they seem to be copying RE4. One is where the fire fish (in the Pyrosphere) appears first.
It caused a bunch of insta-deaths remember?
The other was the over the shoulder views. Imagine the mini games we could have had they used the nun chuck.

As for the sense of fear. I would like to see them expand upon that in the future. Don't take away the sense move though. That was bad ass.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
There's a point in a conversation that you hate. It's when you realize you were wrong. I think you missed the entire point.

Top Bottom