• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

goomba

Banned
I think the design and controls are to try and make the game more accessible for non gamers. Nunchucks scare away the non gamers.

Mael

goomba said:
I think the design and controls are to try and make the game more accessible for non gamers. Nunchucks scare away the non gamers.

Good luck with that! It remains to be seen that the Expanded audience actually like something as gamey as that.
In that regard the game failed spectacularly even more than on the rest.
1 thing is sure they don't seem to like cheese in their games very much.
It's either a cheese cake or the most insulting stuffs I've seen this side of MSFT's Kinect advertisement.

farnham

Banned
etiolate said:
eh you don't need dpad for speed boost

I am not sure how you do spineshark with analog, but there might be a way

The problem is that the game guesses what you mean to do and disconnects you from the action. I have yelled at the screen "NO I DID NOT SAY TO DO THAT" more than once.
speedboost could work with a button press but that wouldnt be a good way imo. with analog stick it would be kinda hard to pull off as you would have to hold it in one direction all the time and with analog controls it would be confusing on some environments (like big curvy corridors)

So I'm finally digging into as I've completed my series playthrough, I'm about four hours in, and my first impressions are actually pretty damn positive. They've nailed the speed and agility that Samus hasn't had on a home console since 1994. It's brilliant.

How the hell do people have trouble with switching to first-person view? It's smooth as fuck.

My only real gripe, aside from outside areas not looking nearly as good as the more condensed stuff (jaggies galore), are the segments in which you have to look around the screen for something. It's happened a few times now and they're almost always asking you to spot something way too insignificant.
The one with the hive is ridiculous. Yeah, let's not scan the massive hive, let's look at those brown bettles in the far dark corner instead

Also, it's nice to have missiels back to their original power instead of the watered-down versions we saw in the Prime series. They felt weak and sounded weak. They're beasts in this one.

Haunted

Tenbatsu said:
Personally I am impressed with the control. Like the concept of doing more with less.

Activating switches and buttons without even using a button, that's just fucking clever.

Mael

_Alkaline_ said:
How the hell do people have trouble with switching to first-person view? It's smooth as fuck.

If by smooth you mean weird...
It's like in Super Paper Mario, you get intel on the foes that way and well...it sucked then, it still does (especially since it now means that for all the high speed action Samus can do, you can't actually use missiles most of the time during battle).
Let's look it that way, would anyone ever use the bow in 3d Zelda if you HAD to switch to 1rst person view?
The answer is evidently NO, you would use it only when mandatory, thus depriving yourself of a choice in how to dispatch the foes (I won't even talk about
super missiles
that are now even more worthless than in the prime games....or the other upgrade).

Haunted said:

Activating switches and buttons without even using a button, that's just fucking clever.

when?

Mael said:
It's like in Super Paper Mario, you get intel on the foes that way and well...it sucked then, it still does (especially since it now means that for all the high speed action Samus can do, you can't actually use missiles most of the time during battle).
Let's look it that way, would anyone ever use the bow in 3d Zelda if you HAD to switch to 1rst person view?

Eh, I have no issue at all with the transition, both physical and in the game. It feels totally natural to me, and even kind of novel. The only minor gripe I have with it is that it's pretty important for noticing certain things that you would probably have skipped past in the normal viewpoint, meaning that more often than not you're pointing at the TV which slows the pacing down. It doesn't really bother me, but a couple of times secret pathways and such are a tad too obscure for the regular viewpoint.

It's almost a good thing they didn't put in the full-fledged scan visor since it would have bogged the pace down way too much.

As for the missiles, yes you can't use them in the normal viewpoint but the charge beam (particularly once you get
the diffusion charge
is pretty rad and good enough for those encounters where getting into first-person isn't viable. Basically it's missiles at the distance, charge-beam up close.

And I love the missile animation in this one. Has a lot more oomph to it.

Mafro

_Alkaline_ said:
It works great, doesn't it? The only way I can see anyone having trouble with it is if they have their sensor bar positioned wrong or something.

Mafro said:
It works great, doesn't it? The only way I can see anyone having trouble with it is if they have their sensor bar positioned wrong or something.

Exactly. And the pointing itself is almost as smooth as it was in Corruption/Trilogy. The only issue really is against enemies that are up close but in those instances you really shouldn't be using missiles, charge beam all the way baby.

Forgot to mention, I really like the way health replenishment is done in this game. You're not handed out free goodies during boss fights like you are in the Prime series, so the tension is ramped up and even when you get the chance of replenish, it's almost always a pretty small window. It makes even mini-boss fights really tense. I'm not saying it's the pinnacle - I'm sure there are ways to improve it further - but for me it's a step-up in terms of raising the difficulty and tension of encounters.

Mael

_Alkaline_ said:
Eh, I have no issue at all with the transition, both physical and in the game. It feels totally natural to me, and even kind of novel. The only minor gripe I have with it is that it's pretty important for noticing certain things that you would probably have skipped past in the normal viewpoint, meaning that more often than not you're pointing at the TV which slows the pacing down. It doesn't really bother me, but a couple of times secret pathways and such are a tad too obscure for the regular viewpoint.

Considering how badly they've hidden things in that game it's just as well.
As for novelty, that's more of a bother more than anything.
I actually have no problem with how they did the transition.....in 99 when Majora's Mask was released...
It's basically the same type of use for the 1rst person mechanic (you can't move and can look around freely to have a different viewpoint).
And for once, I'd actually prefer to do that with a button rather than the moving the wiimote (which, let's face it, is simply not natural).
It comes back to the difference between design in 2d and 3d, I don't think it's possible to do exploration and high speed action at the same pace in 3d.
Which is why Mario got a massive slow down in action in 3d (and a complete change in gameplay too) and why Prime is so slow in how Samus moves.
Also the further the view point, the quicker the character can travel, as you can actually see more of what's ahead and around.

_Alkaline_ said:
It's almost a good thing they didn't put in the full-fledged scan visor since it would have bogged the pace down way too much.

Oh they pretty much did put it in, that's the scan session where you have to spot tiny little stuffs...

_Alkaline_ said:
As for the missiles, yes you can't use them in the normal viewpoint but the charge beam (particularly once you get
the diffusion charge
is pretty rad and good enough for those encounters where getting into first-person isn't viable. Basically it's missiles at the distance, charge-beam up close.

And I love the missile animation in this one. Has a lot more oomph to it.

That's the thing though, you can't use them in battle at all.
If you use it to dispatch foes, you can't do it close range, which means you need to be at a distance where the foes can retaliate (which is just as well since you can't move in 1rst person).
=> not usable in battle.
The
the diffusion charge
was a nice powerup but you get it to quickly I feel, I can't remember the game without it :lol
They were right in getting rid of the charging sound though, I mean there's already nearly no music to speak off :/

_Alkaline_ said:
Exactly. And the pointing itself is almost as smooth as it was in Corruption/Trilogy. The only issue really is against enemies that are up close but in those instances you really shouldn't be using missiles, charge beam all the way baby.

Forgot to mention, I really like the way health replenishment is done in this game. You're not handed out free goodies during boss fights like you are in the Prime series, so the tension is ramped up and even when you get the chance of replenish, it's almost always a pretty small window. It makes even mini-boss fights really tense. I'm not saying it's the pinnacle - I'm sure there are ways to improve it further - but for me it's a step-up in terms of raising the difficulty and tension of encounters.

That's a double edged sword in itself, the boss fights become more intense but what you wins here you lose in all the other area of the game.
I mean why dispatch the foes AT ALL, when you can easily avoid them and you have other ways of getting back your health?
The boss fights were improved but it killed all the other encounters.

I'm not going to quote that as the risk of seeing what's in those spoiler tags, but I will address your last point - yes it does to some level make some enemy encounters pointless since there's no health reward, but at the same time, destroying all the enemies reveals the whereabouts of a room's item. Plus, the enemies that you can run through and avoid tend to be the same ones that are easy to dispatch and don't slow you down much at all, so there's not much loss here. And for the larger encounters, more often than not the doors are locked anyway so you have to fight them, and the combat in this game is a sizeable step above the rest of the series.

Just out of curiousity, what is the gaf consensus on this game? I've been wanting to get this game, but money is low. The thing that scares me the most is the control scheme, and there has been a lot of discussion on that already. But I'm willing to deal with it if the overall game is still good.

Mael

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm not going to quote that as the risk of seeing what's in those spoiler tags, but I will address your last point - yes it does to some level make some enemy encounters pointless since there's no health reward, but at the same time, destroying all the enemies reveals the whereabouts of a room's item. Plus, the enemies that you can run through and avoid tend to be the same ones that are easy to dispatch and don't slow you down much at all, so there's not much loss here. And for the larger encounters, more often than not the doors are locked anyway so you have to fight them, and the combat in this game is a sizeable step above the rest of the series.

the spoiler tag is for item the very same you used it for.

Problem is that despite the claims there's quite a bit of backtracking in the games (or at least running the same rooms) so that's not a problem during the 1rst encounter but the others...
And as for the battles for all the claims that it's static, the B-button escape of the Primes actually proved VERY useful to avoid shots fired at you. Since the encounters are so pointless in Other M, I really prefered them in the Primes (and you have way more ways of dispatching the foes too, from power to creative use of the screw attack or even missile combos...).
I mean going back to only your gun is a bit....normal, that may be the very Metroid in years that I used the beam as my primary if only weapon :lol (this spoiler is new)
until I got the screw attack that is

A.CHAP

Banned
I dont really see how anyone has issue with the controls, its been fine for me and you only use 4 buttons!

Mael said:
The answer is evidently NO, you would use it only when mandatory, thus depriving yourself of a choice in how to dispatch the foes (I won't even talk about
super missiles
that are now even more worthless than in the prime games....or the other upgrade).

I did often use the FP view for the bow in Zelda and i use missiles a lot in OM.

For super missiles try; Hold down 1 and do a sense move to dodge, switch to 1st person as samus lands the dodge (dont release 1 while doing this) you should automatically face the target you dodged, hold down b while going into 1st person to lock on straight away, release 1. BAM.
Not the easiest to pull off but it skips the time taken to charge and lock on for a super M.

Mael said:
the spoiler tag is for item the very same you used it for.

Problem is that despite the claims there's quite a bit of backtracking in the games (or at least running the same rooms) so that's not a problem during the 1rst encounter but the others...
And as for the battles for all the claims that it's static, the B-button escape of the Primes actually proved VERY useful to avoid shots fired at you. Since the encounters are so pointless in Other M, I really prefered them in the Primes (and you have way more ways of dispatching the foes too, from power to creative use of the screw attack or even missile combos...).]

But the rooms in which you face difficult normal enemies are almost always empty after the first time you beat them. It's generally only the rooms with minor enemies that respawn, and these aren't a hassle at all to take down. I'm not really sure what the problem is here. Sure they don't replenish your health but that doesn't really matter anyway since save stations are placed quite liberally.

The important thing is that they've raised the tension of mini-bosses and bosses. Not to say that boss fights weren't already great in the series, but I never really liked how you were given health rewards during the fights in the Prime series since if a boss didn't approach any sort of difficult challenge they basically became a throw-away.

One could argue that the new health replenishment system is an artificial way of increasing tension but I would argue that it's the opposite - it makes sense. That said, I wouldn't mind have a health reward after beating bosses. Having the same health after a fight as you had at the end of it makes encounters following the boss rather difficult, which is a bit unfair at times.

Mael

A.CHAP said:
I did often use the FP view for the bow in Zelda and i use missiles a lot in OM.

For super missiles try; Hold down 1 and do a sense move to dodge, switch to 1st person as samus lands the dodge (dont release 1 while doing this) you should automatically face the target you dodged, hold down b while going into 1st person to lock on straight away, release 1. BAM.
Not the easiest to pull off but it skips the time taken to charge and lock on for a super M.

The good point with that way is that you REALLY feel like a badass for pulling that off, but we can agree that's hardly useful at all :/
I mean there even was a way to transform Samus into an automatic missile firing maching in the prime games :lol
very simply too.
Other M on the Other Hand is clearly designed with using the beam for everything battle related.
Time to be bold...
They should have canned the 1rst person entirely

_Alkaline_ said:
But the rooms in which you face difficult normal enemies are almost always empty after the first time you beat them. It's generally only the rooms with minor enemies that respawn, and these aren't a hassle at all to take down. I'm not really sure what the problem is here. Sure they don't replenish your health but that doesn't really matter anyway since save stations are placed quite liberally.

And that's a problem though, in the other 3d games they could pull of a long sequence of hard rooms since you got your health back as a reward (the sequence to get the thermal visor in Prime 1 for example). Here they've put health regenrators nearly everywhere since it would provide a difficulty spike to big for most to do what they usually did.

_Alkaline_ said:
The important thing is that they've raised the tension of mini-bosses and bosses. Not to say that boss fights weren't already great in the series, but I never really liked how you were given health rewards during the fights in the Prime series since if a boss didn't approach any sort of difficult challenge they basically became a throw-away.

That's the case in all the games, in Super one of the chozo guardian was a pushover, getting health back was still nice :/
Still usually you get a powerup after a boss so that's generally not a problem as far as reward is concerned (the problem is usually how do i get back to a save room without dying :lol).

_Alkaline_ said:
One could argue that the new health replenishment system is an artificial way of increasing tension but I would argue that it's the opposite - it makes sense. That said, I wouldn't mind have a health reward after beating bosses. Having the same health after a fight as you had at the end of it makes encounters following the boss rather difficult, which is a bit unfair at times.
I found that the rest of the game was rather easy as a result, since foes aren't THAT agressive and if you're in danger of dying you can ALWAYS replenish your health.
In the old ways, you were on low health against some annoying baddies you were screwed and HAD to do your best to survive :/
there's a happy medium, but for a first try it's clearly not bad.

A.CHAP

Banned
Mael said:
The good point with that way is that you REALLY feel like a badass for pulling that off, but we can agree that's hardly useful at all :/
I mean there even was a way to transform Samus into an automatic missile firing maching in the prime games :lol
very simply too.
Other M on the Other Hand is clearly designed with using the beam for everything battle related.
Time to be bold...
They should have canned the 1rst person entirely

Well i disagree with you as i really like the way 1st person works in this game. I prefer the prime games to this (the trilogy is the greatest disk ever burnt IMO) but i prefer other Ms combat and dont avoid enemies when backtracking like I did in the prime games.

Mael

A.CHAP said:
Well i disagree with you as i really like the way 1st person works in this game. I prefer the prime games to this (the trilogy is the greatest disk ever burnt IMO) but i prefer other Ms combat and dont avoid enemies when backtracking like I did in the prime games.

goes to show how different play style goes, funny thing is that since I play with lock on only in the GC version (and I mean vision locked).
I really liked how the battle flowed since I could focus on the avoiding getting hit part of the battles (and believe that can quite intense against 3 chozo ghosts or something).
So I never avoided any foes on gc, on wii I avoid all the foes since I have to aim and it becames a little bit more of a pain...
in Other M, by the end of the game I use the most direct and quick way to dispacth the ennemies if they block me or I totally ignore them.

McNum

So, just to go off on another tangent, when people start speedrunning this, and they will since it IS a Metroid, how low do you think it'll go? If the cutscenes are skipped, you think we'll see a two hour any% run? I'm sure it'll go under three hours. A 100% run is likely just over three hours with a good route.

Of course, this is only guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a two hour run or lower at some point.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Mael said:

I had no trouble switching back and forth between first and third person in Zelda TP battles. Even more so in this game. The transition is very quick and smooth and you can immediately dodge after coming back to third person.

If you find missles useless or impossible to use in any battle then you just aren't very good at the game.

Although I think it could do with some tweaks, I was very impressed with the 3rd person/1st person switching. It was fast and straightforward, and once I had gotten into the habit of making sure I was pointing in the right direction before making the switch, I don't think I had a single mess-up.

It's bloody satisfying using the Sensemove to dodge a volley of fire from a boss, charging your ice beam to freeze a segment then switching to 1st person to unleash a missile before bouncing back in time to dodge the next attack.

Mimir

McNum said:
So, just to go off on another tangent, when people start speedrunning this, and they will since it IS a Metroid, how low do you think it'll go? If the cutscenes are skipped, you think we'll see a two hour any% run? I'm sure it'll go under three hours. A 100% run is likely just over three hours with a good route.

Of course, this is only guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a two hour run or lower at some point.
People have found a few minor sequence breaks, but nothing major yet. Unfortunately, the cutscene time is always part of the game timer, whether or not you skip it.

Mael

levious said:
I had no trouble switching back and forth between first and third person in Zelda TP battles. Even more so in this game. The transition is very quick and smooth and you can immediately dodge after coming back to third person.

If you find missles useless
or impossible to use in any battle then you just aren't very good at the game.

They are useless and it's not from a fault of mine it's because there's basically no foes that requires missile to be used and it's actually harder to do that than use the normal charged shot anyway.
It's the very definition of useless. why go through all that trouble anyway? sure I can finish Mario World only using the A button to jump, but that's absolutely pointless.
Heck it's like disregarding the Ztargetting in Zelda and killing foes with the bow or something, unpractical.
Acting all high-&-mighty-you-suck-at-games doesn't change how fucking useless missiles are in Other M for battle compared to any other Metroid games where they're a button press away.

levious

Mael said:
They are useless and it's not from a fault of mine it's because there's basically no foes that requires missile to be used and it's actually harder to do that than use the normal charged shot anyway.

you sure about that? Seems like there's sequences with enemies when you have to switch back and forth between missiles or beam shots. Maybe you don't have to, but it seems easier, faster to do so.

Not trying to act high and mighty, but if you cannot switch between first and third person mid battle then yes, you just aren't very good at the game, sorry.

Heck it's like disregarding the Ztargetting in Zelda and killing foes with the bow or something, unpractical.

I assumed we were talking about Wii Twilight Princess, I'd agree with you on the previous 3d Zeldas.

Mael said:
It's the very definition of useless. why go through all that trouble anyway? sure I can finish Mario World only using the A button to jump, but that's absolutely pointless.
Acting all high-&-mighty-you-suck-at-games doesn't change how fucking useless missiles are in Other M for battle compared to any other Metroid games where they're a button press away.

Missiles are a terrific way to hit enemies that are far away.

Mael

levious said:
you sure about that? Seems like there's sequences with enemies when you have to switch back and forth between missiles or beam shots. Maybe you don't have to, but it seems easier, faster to do so.

Then my memory of the last few is fucking hazy as I can't remember anything but minoboss and bosses requiring any missile work. Heck due to the great 4 direction dpad it's a bit on the dangerous side to go 1rst person as you could be not facing the opponents....
Ah yes I remember that foe that require the missile once in a while, but when that is the case he glows and don't move for 4/5 sec to allow you to shoot him, not exactly battle conditions.

levious said:
I assumed we were talking about Wii Twilight Princess, I'd agree with you on the previous 3d Zeldas.
Even then you can still target the foes and kill them very easily...then again I only played it once on Wii and don't remember it well.
was talking about n64+gc Zelda

_Alkaline_ said:
Missiles are a terrific way to hit enemies that are far away.

Well yeah, never denied that. Actually that's the only place where they're useful.
And even then the rooms are not that big so it's kinda limited I feel.

heringer said:
You lock on automatically against bosses, even if you're facing the opposite direction. I'm kinda surprised a lot of people didn't notice that.

which is totally NOT the situation I'm talking about.

heringer

Mael said:
Then my memory of the last few is fucking hazy as I can't remember anything but minoboss and bosses requiring any missile work. Heck due to the great 4 direction dpad it's a bit on the dangerous side to go 1rst person as you could be not facing the opponents....
You lock on automatically against bosses, even if you're facing the opposite direction. I'm kinda surprised a lot of people didn't notice that.

levious

a bit on the dangerous side to go 1rst person as you could be not facing the opponents

you are in control of what direction you face when switching to first person though.

levious said:
you are in control of what direction you face when switching to first person though.

Exactly - if you don't ensure you're pointing the correct way in third-person, you will not be pointing the right way when you switch.

Mael

levious said:

Logically when you swicth to 1rst person it goes through 1rst person where Samus is looking, I may be too used to games that actualy make it look where the camera is centered, and since you can't move the camera here it always face where I don't want it to :lol
Still if you have 2 foes and need to kill both in 1rst person and you have to turn around :/
since the game use one of the worst implementation of 1rst person movement with the wiimote (welcome back to 2006 and Red Steel) with a gigantic dead zone...

FWIW, I don't think the designers intended you to use first-person view in the same way you would in an FPS. They slowed it down, locked the screen unless you trigger the movement and present it more as a shooting gallery - the intention (and the way I played it) is that players in combat will line themselves up, switch into first-person to quickly let off a missile and then drop back into third-person for beam and melee combat, or to line up their next missile attack. You aren't meant to try and spin around in first-person targetting multiple, fast-moving enemies - it's more Duck Hunt, less Doom 3.

It puts pressure on the player when they want to use one of their most powerful weapons, offering a trade-off that makes combat more interesting - you can't just spam missiles, you have to consider when and where to use them and be precise.

Movement in first-person seems to be almost exclusively for the "hunt the spot" sections.

LowParry

I'm still baffled by the fact that there is slow down in this game. I guess that's TN's staple when it comes to video game design.

A.CHAP

Banned
Mael said:

Missiles do more damage than your normal shot. They are not useless.
Im not trying to be high and mighty but it would seem that you are not very good at switching between 1st and 3rd person in this game.

jman2050

etiolate said:
eh you don't need dpad for speed boost

I am not sure how you do spineshark with analog, but there might be a way

The problem is that the game guesses what you mean to do and disconnects you from the action. I have yelled at the screen "NO I DID NOT SAY TO DO THAT" more than once.

Seriously, it just sounds like you're not very good at the game. Which is fine, but don't blame the game for that.

Mael

Cosmonaut X said:
FWIW, I don't think the designers intended you to use first-person view in the same way you would in an FPS. They slowed it down, locked the screen unless you trigger the movement and present it more as a shooting gallery - the intention (and the way I played it) is that players in combat will line themselves up, switch into first-person to quickly let off a missile and then drop back into third-person for beam and melee combat, or to line up their next missile attack. You aren't meant to try and spin around in first-person targetting multiple, fast-moving enemies - it's more Duck Hunt, less Doom 3.

It puts pressure on the player when they want to use one of their most powerful weapons, offering a trade-off that makes combat more interesting - you can't just spam missiles, you have to consider when and where to use them and be precise.

Movement in first-person seems to be almost exclusively for the "hunt the spot" sections.
Ding ding ding!
That's my problem right there.
That's exactly what I don't like with it.
Since I play the game the way I like, I don't use it thus missile == useless.
Take status ailment in FFIV, in the original version they give no feedback whatsoever that a status ailment ever worked on someone or not.
As a result I never used them and dismissed them as useless.
Then came FFIV DS, this one actually gave feedback that something actually worked or not and then the game went on another level (and then I learned that Slow is very useful in that game).

As a rule, if something is not fun or useful I won't use it, that's why some weapons go unused in fps and why ultimately I don't use the 1rst person mode here.
It's barely useful in battle and there's always a better solution anyway
and really who would use any shot by the end of the game when you have the screw attack? since that's most of the time I spend on a Metroid game, I usually experiment with all the tools available by then. Hence the screw attack in prime 2/3 being EXTREMLY potent weapons if a bit unpractical. Here it's a bit upsetting to see that there's a win button with no downside when you finish the game : power bomb, they should have kept the ammo for that one

jman2050 said:
Seriously, it just sounds like you're not very good at the game. Which is fine, but don't blame the game for that.

and that 's a horribly stupid argument.
Well you can't do something that's a bit awkward in the game, that's because you suck, the game is alright :lol
Guess they were wrong and Action Game 52 is actually awesome.

jman2050

Mael said:
Ding ding ding!
That's my problem right there.
That's exactly what I don't like with it.
Since I play the game the way I like, I don't use it thus missile == useless.
Take status ailment in FFIV, in the original version they give no feedback whatsoever that a status ailment ever worked on someone or not.
As a result I never used them and dismissed them as useless.
Then came FFIV DS, this one actually gave feedback that something actually worked or not and then the game went on another level (and then I learned that Slow is very useful in that game).

As a rule, if something is not fun or useful I won't use it, that's why some weapons go unused in fps and why ultimately I don't use the 1rst person mode here.
It's barely useful in battle and there's always a better solution anyway
and really who would use any shot by the end of the game when you have the screw attack? since that's most of the time I spend on a Metroid game, I usually experiment with all the tools available by then. Hence the screw attack in prime 2/3 being EXTREMLY potent weapons if a bit unpractical. Here it's a bit upsetting to see that there's a win button with no downside when you finish the game : power bomb, they should have kept the ammo for that one

So basically all your misgivings with the first person view are based entirely on personal preference, which is what everyone has been saying from the very beginning.

What exactly was the point of all this again?

Mael said:
and that 's a horribly stupid argument.
Well you can't do something that's a bit awkward in the game, that's because you suck, the game is alright :lol
Guess they were wrong and Action Game 52 is actually awesome.

I'll say it again, I find any game controlled by dual-analog to be awkward as HELL, but I actually recognize that that's a combination of my personal KB/M preferences and the fact that I'm not terribly good at FPSes to begin with. A lot of people seem to have no trouble with it, so who am I to tell other people how misguided/fooled/brainwashed they are for allowing themselves to get used to such "inferior" control schemes.

Mael

jman2050 said:
So basically all your misgivings with the first person view are based entirely on personal preference, which is what everyone has been saying from the very beginning.

What exactly was the point of all this again?

WTF are you talking about?
We're not discussing 1rst person view, we're discussing the usefulness of missile in the context of the game.
1rst person mandatory view is only part of the problem here.

jman2050

Mael said:
WTF are you talking about?
We're not discussing 1rst person view, we're discussing the usefulness of missile in the context of the game.
1rst person mandatory view is only part of the problem here.

But the usefulness of the missiles to you is tied entirely to your problem with switching to 1st person. That's the entire crux of your argument. Because otherwise missiles are a superior solution to charged shots in 95% of situations.

Mael

jman2050 said:
But the usefulness of the missiles to you is tied entirely to your problem with switching to 1st person. That's the entire crux of your argument. Because otherwise missiles are a superior solution to charged shots in 95% of situations.

But they're not since charging a shot is actually very easily done and can be coupled with one of the cool new moves they've introduced anyway!
Even if you could use missiles in 3rd person, they wouldn't be the first choice of weaponry to use anyway.
The beams are also way quicker meaning that for a fast moving opponent it's actually more likely to hit anything *endgamespoiler, you've been warned*
Phantoon
That's really only one part of the problem.
1rst person mandatroy view is really the icing on the cake in this case.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
CcrooK said:
I'm still baffled by the fact that there is slow down in this game. I guess that's TN's staple when it comes to video game design.

I'm not surprised really; the graphics are pretty detailed and use good lighting and some nice shaders. It's pushing it on the Wii to maintain 60fps.

I know that Mario Galaxy and Corruption are the gold standard for 60fps graphics on Wii (and deservedly so) but Team Ninja has never shown they're godlike at making game engines - just at designing combat systems and action. Even so, the game does use some visual niceties that are beyond Mario and Corruption, so I can forgive it for choking every so often.

Character animation and water effects are certainly above Corruption, but I'd leave it at that I think. I struggle to think of anything else that Other M does better visually.

_Alkaline_ said:
Character animation and water effects are certainly above Corruption, but I'd leave it at that I think. I struggle to think of anything else that Other M does better visually.
Character models are superior in Other M. They're very well rounded and bump mapped very nicely. Textures are a mixed bag; some look a tiny bit more detailed than you average textures in Corruption, but you sometimes have a washland of horribly low res texts too.
Still, Other M is definitely a looker for the Wii just like Corruption.

Top Bottom