• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

TripOpt55

I've played a few hours of this so far. It's pretty cool. Not really wowing me yet, but it's fun. I do seem to have to really be in the mood to play it though. Not one of those games where I play it every chance I get. Still seems pretty good so far though.

Poyunch

Well they may never really flesh out that fear thing since Samus
is the "last Metroid"
. Oh and I think they should take out the over-the-shoulder portions too. Before Other M really had any media I was really in the mood for an over-the-shoulder Metroid but the more dynamic camera angles were so good in this game.

MadOdorMachine said:
There's a point in a conversation that you hate. It's when you realize you were wrong. I think you missed the entire point.
Wait did you take those back-and-forths seriously? I was joking the whole time. :lol

sfried

Thunder Monkey said:
No, just all around beautiful.

Here's a link. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121&page=15

I'm not sure how spoiler heavy the thread itself is, but some of the collection is very spoilerific.

Seriously pretty.
The fact that the lack of HDfication in the actual game doesn't seem to affect the overall image quality proves to me that the team has really accomplished their goal of making the most visually compelling game on Wii to date.
It seems ironic that it is only to be trumped by Epic Yarn.

Those screens are wallpaper worthy already. If only there were some way to save them. Stupid Silverlight.

Poyunch

sfried said:
The fact that the lack of HDfication in the actual game doesn't seem to affect the overall image quality proves to me that the team has really accomplished their goal of making the most visually compelling game on Wii to date.
It seems ironic that it is only to be trumped by Epic Yarn.

Those screens are wallpaper worthy already. If only there were some way to save them. Stupid Silverlight.
Do you see the bar on the top? It should say "Go to Photo". Then everything should be alright. Also what about the Mario Galaxy games? :(

Kard8p3

PounchEnvy said:
Yes, I'm sorry but you are.

edit: Man that dolphin screen with
the unmasked Nightmare is so awesome.
So desktop-worthy but I don't want to get rid of my current desktop wallpaper.

Yep made it my desktop wallpaper last night. A friend came over today closed out of my browser and actually screamed at the site of it.

Boney said:
I still want to know about what plot holes we are talking about.

I don't know what might have been mentioned earlier, but there are plenty of discrepancies that bugged me.

At this point in the series, Samus has fought and defeated Ridley 4 times, with no indication of
excessive fear. So her reaction to another one is odd at best. I found it ridiculous.

Samus' armor
coming and going based on her emotional or conscious state
is inconsistent. In Fusion, she became unconscious and they had to cut it off of her. In this game,
it starts to disappear because she threatens to faint
. I'm sure we can all come up with reasons, but we'd really just be making excuses for poor, inconsistent writing.

I already mentioned Samus' drastic change in physical size. "Sakamoto says so" is no excuse, either, because he's (presumably) contradicting himself.

But honestly, there's nothing wrong with the plot as a whole. Bad Metroid-related stuff is going down, and Samus is there to stop it (along with her shitty friends). It's only a slight tweaking of the same basic plot from past games. If it were presented in broad strokes as it's been in the past, it would serve. It's the details and characterization that make it so awful.

Koodo

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
It easily has some of the best visuals I've seen on the Wii.

Those Dolphin shots in the emulation thread look psychotic.
omg I just saw those pictures.

It's like the fierce was cranked up to 1000.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey guys, I'm the one who posted screens in the Dolphin thread of Other M, I tried my best to keep it spoiler clean in the actual thread, but the actual album has a metric shit ton of spoilers so if you haven't completed the game, DON'T LOOK AT IT.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Galaxy 2 (and probably 1) literally looks like a 360 game in 720p. I played some. It's insane.

Makes me drool at the thought of a HD Nintendo console. It's going to be off the hook.

Rez said:
Galaxy 2 (and probably 1) literally looks like a 360 game in 720p. I played some. It's insane.

Makes me drool at the thought of a HD Nintendo console. It's going to be off the hook.
I expect as close to Pixar level stuff as anyone in this industry has been able to achieve.

They've got terrific art designers under their employ.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thunder Monkey said:
I expect as close to Pixar level stuff as anyone in this industry has been able to achieve.

They've got terrific art designers under their employ.
they're so damn smart about how they balance their workload. inspiring.

Leondexter said:
I already mentioned Samus' drastic change in physical size. "Sakamoto says so" is no excuse, either, because he's (presumably) contradicting himself.

Samus is 6'3'' tall, and stands about as tall if not taller then the other characters, except Anthony Higgs who is just gigantic compared to everyone else.
Samus also weighs 198lbs apparently

Gravijah

Chet Rippo said:
Samus is 6'3'' tall, and stands about as tall if not taller then the other characters, except Anthony Higgs who is just gigantic compared to everyone else.

Wait, is this true?

AniHawk

Chet Rippo said:

You're forgetting about the rift in space-time after Super Metroid that made her look like she does now.

Mael

Wait what?
The visuals were impressive? By that I don't mean 'impressive' I actually mean 'best thing my Wii pumped up'!
The art direction is not even the best to be seen in anything Metroid related :lol
Unless I missed them badly the game is not using/overusing any gfx effects and there's slowdown at times.
I'm not even sure I'd call it the most beautiful Metroid game on Wii.
And I saw the screens and rest my case.
Although it's true the game is suitable for screenshots than its other brethen.

And I too can't wait for them to go HD, so that I won't feel any remorse in missing their games when they'll make they games with text so small you can't read them on anything but an HD screen :lol

And this bugs me too :
The thing is, without the NES style controls, we never would have seen the advancement in the simplicity of the combat. There was a great achievement made, but it was at the expense of controls. I don't know how else to make sense about it. Yes, I liked the game, but there were a lot of things about it, controls just being one of them that were wrong.

How can the combat be simpler if you end up fighting with the controls?

Gravijah said:
Wait, is this true?
That she's over 6 feet tall? It's from Metroid II's game manual, and I seem to remember it being mentioned somewhere else aswell... I'm not sure if that is in or out of her suit though.

AniHawk said:
You're forgetting about the rift in space-time after Super Metroid that made her look like she does now.

Uh, yeah... sure.

AniHawk

Chet Rippo said:
Uh, yeah... sure.

It's one of those things that isn't fully explained, but it makes sense when you think about it, like how it's really the Phazon that mutated Samus from a human in Prime to a half-human, half-anime creature in the later entries.

Mael

AniHawk said:
It's one of those things that isn't fully explained, but it makes sense when you think about it, like how it's really the Phazon that mutated Samus from a human in Prime to a half-human, half-anime creature in the later entries.

:lol
Or maybe we're really playing as Dark Samus while good Samus is the one they call Dark Samus and all you see in the other 2 games are the perverted perceptions of Dark Samus.

farnham

Banned
Mael said:
How can the combat be simpler if you end up fighting with the controls?
well you only need two buttons and the dpad for one.

i think the controls worked fine with platforming and combat. i had very little problems with it. (and controls were my primary concern about the game)

as ani pointed out the dpad controls also allowed abilities like the speedboost or the shinespark to return

Mael

farnham said:
well you only need two buttons and the dpad for one.

i think the controls worked fine with platforming and combat. i had very little problems with it. (and controls were my primary concern about the game)

as ani pointed out the dpad controls also allowed abilities like the speedboost or the shinespark to return

Kinda like theses old NES games that had weird controls :lol
Seriously though the return of the 3rd person perspective + fixed camera is more the reason why they returned properly (it's actually present in the prime games...only Dark Samus is badass enough to have it :p or maybe she REALLY is Samus).

And also in 3D it doesn't really work as it makes for less than natural environments (which is fine if you're planning on making a space station I guess).
Well at least it makes for quick navigation I guess :lol

etiolate

Banned
eh you don't need dpad for speed boost

I am not sure how you do spineshark with analog, but there might be a way

The problem is that the game guesses what you mean to do and disconnects you from the action. I have yelled at the screen "NO I DID NOT SAY TO DO THAT" more than once.

robor

Segata Sanshiro said:
I went looking via search for some games etiolate likes to try to turn the tables on him and show him why everything thinks he's being an arseface, but etiolate, dude, you never post about games except Other M. And Guild Wars I guess? But that would be like picking on the retarded kid. You seem to hold Metroid Prime in high esteem, and while I really dislike the game, I have a feeling if I pick on it, I'm going to get jumped on by *everyone*, so I'll just let that be.

All I can say is this: Every game has problems. Every game has some areas where it's not up to snuff. And every person holds those areas to different standards and expectations. Basically, if we hold every game to the ideal that in having flaws it is a game that is holding back the standards and keeping things from moving forward, then we cannot enjoy *anything*. You think the story in Other M is terrible. You think the characterization is awful. You think the game on the whole is lacking. Cool. Some other people don't, and you go after them like they're objectively wrong for thinking the story and characterization is fine. Don't try to deny it, you've done it many times throughout this thread.

Essentially the problem is that you think there is some kind of objective criteria, some academic truth, which can be applied to people's experiences with an entertainment product. That's fatally flawed thinking. You can scream until you're blue in the face that Twilight is an objectively terrible story, but people who like it are never going to see it your way, and your constant insistence that people shouldn't enjoy it or that they are stupid for enjoying it or that they have some kind of standard that is holding back the entire art of storytelling by enjoying it serves absolutely no purpose but to try to annoy people, tear them down, or ruin their enjoyment.

You aren't happy with the direction Metroid took. Believe me, I can understand. I went through the same thing with Metroid Prime, which in my eyes took one of my favourite series out behind the woodshed and did naughty Thunder Monkey things to it. You voiced your opinions here, many times, so you've certainly made your feelings known. I'm sure you've written a letter or two to Nintendo, because if you haven't, that would be pretty silly. At the end of the day, as far as this thread goes, as far as this audience goes, you've done your job. You've expressed your dissatisfaction very strongly and nobody here is going to go around saying Etiolate is down with the Other M.

But you've also continued past that point. You've run around, nay, made continuous laps of the circuit, pissing in everyone's Cheerios, calling them stupid, uneducated, or backwards for not seeing things your way, and man, that's shitty. It's a pretty rotten thing to do. And in the end it does not help your cause. It does not make people sympathetic to your angle or your plight. All it results in is everyone thinking you're an asshole, and I've known you on GAF long enough to know that can't be what you want.

aka my carrot analogy and him lacking pattern recognition. Seriously did you see that shit with Prynne? That's what made it clear that I should just ignore this guy, period.

legend166

I've has basically zero problems with the controls so far, and I'm 8 hours in. I was worried when people were talking about 'clunky platforming' but I've hit everything I wanted to pretty much perfectly. Never had any problem with the switch to first person, either.

Mael

etiolate said:

I am not sure how you do spineshark with analog, but there might be a way

The problem is that the game guesses what you mean to do and disconnects you from the action. I have yelled at the screen "NO I DID NOT SAY TO DO THAT" more than once.

You only need a button in Other M to activate the shinespark...
I mean it'd work just the same way : press jump/morph ball button, direction + release button.
I don't see a problem anywhere

AniHawk

etiolate said:

No, but digital control is the best choice for this game. Analog could have been made an option, but there'd be other frustrations with it. I think the ideal solution would be an 8-direction digital pad like the Genesis.

The only problem I had with this was discovering that "hold remote up to recharge" was not the same as "point at screen."

Even during the final story battle, even if Samus started turning into a morphball, it wound up going to the perspective I wanted and I could shoot the little fuckers.

pulga

Banned
Having a blast with it. Finally met El Pollo Loco :D

Having trouble forgetting Prime conventions, though! Sometimes I walk into a room, automatically switch to FP and start trying to scan everything :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
I've has basically zero problems with the controls so far, and I'm 8 hours in. I was worried when people were talking about 'clunky platforming' but I've hit everything I wanted to pretty much perfectly. Never had any problem with the switch to first person, either.
I agree. The first chase bit in lava-world was a little awkward, but otherwise fine.

legend166 said:

+1

Would be interesting to see the ages of people complaining about the controls to see which consoles they grew up with

Mael

AniHawk said:
No, but digital control is the best choice for this game. Analog could have been made an option, but there'd be other frustrations with it. I think the ideal solution would be an 8-direction digital pad like the Genesis.

Actually something closer to the analog the psp have would probably be the best answer...
I mean something that actually has the all directions movements of analog and the binary state of pressed/not pressed of digital.
Or better yet better assume that the game is 3D and make the game around that or make it 2D. Anything but the bastard state this game is in, in retrospect it's no surprise they thought the 1rst person by turning the wiimote was a good idea...

Would be interesting to see the ages of people complaining about the controls to see which consoles they grew up with

Ah yes the good ole 'you're too young to understand how great it is'?
Well no, age is certainly not the problem here.

etiolate

Banned
I am amazed at all the people taking Segata seriously. :lol

As for spineshark, I was thinking that dpads offer quicker stop and direction change than analog sticks. Yeah, it could still work. Prime desperately needed speedboost.

AniHawk

Mael said:
Actually something closer to the analog the psp have would probably be the best answer...
I mean something that actually has the all directions movements of analog and the binary state of pressed/not pressed of digital.
Or better yet better assume that the game is 3D and make the game around that or make it 2D. Anything but the bastard state this game is in, in retrospect it's no surprise they thought the 1rst person by turning the wiimote was a good idea...

The PSP's nub would be a poor choice. The reason to stay away from analog entirely is because of how easy it is to shift directions, even the tiniest bit. When you're doing something like a speedboost, and you need to be running in a straight line to do so, the dpad is the best solution.

The problem with Other M is that it's controlled with a four sided dpad when Samus moves in diagonals as well. The entire design of the game would have needed to change to focus around analog controls.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt Segata was joking. He isn't a joking representation of a man.

Mael

BigJonsson said:
Not how "Awesome" it is, but not used to holding a controller like an NES controller
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
You're a riot :lol :lol :lol :lol

I won't even begin to comment on that I would end up insulting.

etiolate said:
As for spineshark, I was thinking that dpads offer quicker stop and direction change than analog sticks. Yeah, it could still work. Prime desperately needed speedboost.

If the Gc could have provided WAY bigger environments why not, as it is the games' level design would need to adapt to that new skill.
What I mean is, the games would have to be changed same as Other M would be different with analog control.

AniHawk said:
The PSP's nub would be a poor choice. The reason to stay away from analog entirely is because of how easy it is to shift directions, even the tiniest bit. When you're doing something like a speedboost, and you need to be running in a straight line to do so, the dpad is the best solution.

Then you have to adapt I guess and go back to Super Metroid's school of design :
Hold a button to run, and any brutal change in direction cancel the run (or is downright impossible).
there's way to work around it.

Mael said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
You're a riot :lol :lol :lol :lol

I won't even begin to comment on that I would end up insulting.

If the Gc could have provided WAY bigger environments why not, as it is the games' level design would need to adapt to that new skill.
What I mean is, the games would have to be changed same as Other M would be different with analog control.

Uhhh, yea

Keep on complaining about the controls

Mael

BigJonsson said:
Uhhh, yea

Keep on complaining about the controls

The simple fact that something like Virtual Console exists would actually makes you think again that people are not used to holding the control sideways.
Secondly NOBODY had any problem playing NSMBW, and that is the best game on Wii right now to prove people like old school type game.

What makes you think for 1 second that the only issue I have with the controls of the game result from some inability on my part to adjust to holding a control so that the layout is the very same to the 1rst system I laid my hand on and to similar to the handheld I probably spent away most of my youth?

As a mini mart owner once said : WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Did I direct my first 2 comments at you?
I said maybe it was one of the issues
Or some of you just really suck at games
Or some of you take this stuff way too seriously and I touched a nerve with you

Don't take NeoGAF personally dude :lol

Mael

BigJonsson said:
Did I direct my first 2 comments at you?
I said maybe it was one of the issues
Or some of you just really suck at games
Or some of you take this stuff way too seriously and I touched a nerve with you

Don't take NeoGAF personally dude :lol

If you can't realize how stupid your comment is, that's barely my problem.
And as they say, never assume the state of the one posting a message when you can't make the difference between anger and hillarity.

etiolate

Banned
I'm an old man. An old man that admits the old NES pad was uncomfortable. Yet, that doesn't have to do with the control issues, which are mostly from there not being enough buttons and 2d movement in 3d space.

BigJonsson said:
+1

If you're implying the young'uns aren't getting it, you'll have to count me as an exception. The controls are not very good, and I'm older than most of you at 37. I've played every single Metroid game start to finish, in order, the year of each release. This is the only one I haven't been thrilled with, although to be fair, I'd still rank it above Metroid #1 as a fun game to play now.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just finished the main part and unlocked Theater and Gallery mode. The boss fights, while not difficult, are something else and totally memorable.

Chet Rippo said:

Uh, no. Officially, she's supposed to be 6 foot 3 outside her armor, but she isn't. She's the shortest person in the lineup in the cutscene with her unit. Not once in the game is she shown as taller than any other person when out of her suit. In it, she's eye-to-eye with Anthony, but we're never told how much height her suit adds (but clearly it's a lot).

Top Bottom