• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
_Alkaline_ said:
Character animation and water effects are certainly above Corruption, but I'd leave it at that I think. I struggle to think of anything else that Other M does better visually.

Much of the Prime series' visual quality comes from its environmental modeling. Retro had better concept and texture artists and a great system for allowing artists to express themselves without having to go back to the level designers every time they wanted to move a rock.

Ironically, while Other M often looks more plain that any of the Prime trilogy, it is probably doing more to bog the hardware down.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
farnham said:
i never had any slowdowns. surprised that people are experiencing those

I think in this case slowdown is referring to frame drops. Game speed doesn't bog down, but there are occasional drops in frame rate. Usually when scrolling past long hallways or complex geometry. Doesn't happen in most fights 'cause those take place in an isolated area or a specially designed boss chamber.

eznark

Banned
Rez said:
or actually let the translators do something classy with the script

Yeah, I haven't really been following the game so I don't know how much of it is terrible script/terrible acting/combo.

I'm planning on just skipping cut scenes and play the game, which so far seems really fun.

As far as sexism goes, I thought the set up to limit Samus' abilities was perfectly plausible. An orphan attaches themselves to a father figure then wants to please said father figure after they disappointed them once. Totally legit.

Sexism? thumbs down!

Koodo

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Seems like etiolate got banned.
Praise Buddha!

Anyway I just got to
Ridley
on hard and he's pretty tough. I'm loving this.
I'm thinking of attempting hard mode, but it's a bit of a turn off that there's apparently not even a simple congratulatory message to recognize its completion.

heringer

Koodo said:
Praise Buddha!

I'm thinking of attempting hard mode, but it's a bit of a turn off that there's apparently not even a simple congratulatory message to recognize its completion.
I'll congratulate you when you finish it. Is that enough? :p

Koodo

Banned
heringer said:
I'll congratulate you when you finish it. Is that enough? :p
314pbvo.jpg

heringer

I'm actually on my hard playthrough right now. What I miss the most is the accel charge upgrades. It takes foreeeever to charge the shots (thankfully the evade move does alleviate that).

And speaking of graphics, engine and all that, did you guys had now loadings every now and then? I had some near the end of the game. Not sure if this is a problem with my Wii. I think I will buy that lens cleaner.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
eh you don't need dpad for speed boost

I am not sure how you do spineshark with analog, but there might be a way

The problem is that the game guesses what you mean to do and disconnects you from the action. I have yelled at the screen "NO I DID NOT SAY TO DO THAT" more than once.
Well if you try to control the game via voice command that's your problem :lol

etiolate said:
I am amazed at all the people taking Segata seriously. :lol
This isn't even funny.

Mael said:
Other M on the Other Hand is clearly designed with using the beam for everything battle related.
Time to be bold...
What? No!

No wonder you piss on the game. 1st person mechanic is absolutely broken on how good it is. Toss in a charge beam and the guy will stun for a moment. Switch to first person and the 1 second slowdown gives you more than enough time for the missile to hit before the enemy can do anything. You can keep firing or approach for a lethal strike.

Not to mention, that some enemies sometimes raise a shield for regular beams. You're doing an etiolate argument here on, "I'm not using it correctly, therefore it sucks".

izakq

heringer said:
And speaking of graphics, engine and all that, did you guys had now loadings every now and then? I had some near the end of the game. Not sure if this is a problem with my Wii. I think I will buy that lens cleaner.

I've had that message every once and a while. I started to notice it when I was towards the latter half of Sector 3.

Mael

jman2050 said:
I'll say it again, I find any game controlled by dual-analog to be awkward as HELL, but I actually recognize that that's a combination of my personal KB/M preferences and the fact that I'm not terribly good at FPSes to begin with. A lot of people seem to have no trouble with it, so who am I to tell other people how misguided/fooled/brainwashed they are for allowing themselves to get used to such "inferior" control schemes.

Yeah...no
What I'm talking about is more about the kind of defence saying that the game is perfectly ok and any problem with it is due to the player's fault.
Well since games are here for our enjoyment, if it fails at doing that because we can't adjust to the controls, it's the game's fault.

In the end this is my money which is at stake, so quite clearly if I'm unhappy with an aspect of something I paid for I don't see why I should sugarcoat my displeasure.
Also it's quite clear that my opinion is mine and mine only, if I have qualms about some parts of the controls. Even if you DO find the best arguments to sway my opinion, I'll revert back to my original opinion by the sole virtue of actually playing the game. I mean there's a reason I did have qualms with it in the first place and I'm bound to have the same problems I did have everytime I play.

Boney said:
Not to mention, that some enemies sometimes raise a shield for regular beams. You're doing an etiolate argument here on, "I'm not using it correctly, therefore it sucks".

Yeah that would be a good argument if my problem with the game was that it was too hard.
I actually found it too easy :lol

And strangely the game seems to load the next area only when you reach a door unlike the others where it loads the rooms each time you're a certain distance to the room of the next area. Then again Prime 3 had problem preloading areas too :lol (the door didn't take forever to open just to piss the player off).
How can you check all that? Moon Jump (AR related)

It's a shame the game had such a terrible final boss(As well as the "build up" to it) and ending to cap everything.
I don't count Phantoon as anything more than a super awesome bonus.
Despite that I enjoyed the game and am having a lot of fun on my second playthrough. You're so much more dramatically powered up by the end of the game that starting over was such a bizarre feeling. If only they could do some kind of Sigma version of this game.

Boney

Banned
Don't get me wrong, the regular difficulty is fairly easy, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you're not using missiles, since some enemies are sponges and can you can kill them with one missile and a fatal strike.

Wait.. you are using overblasts and fatalstrikes no?

oracrest

I finally beat it last night. :D

All in all, it was a rather fun playthrough. Nothing too groundbreaking in relation to gameplay mechanics, but it was nice to see a return of the speed booster. I think one of the reasons why Super stands out in people's minds is because it brought so many new and interesting mechanics for the first time. The screw attack was probably the most fun, manipulating it around a 3D space is something they really nailed.

I really liked the integration of 3D. It reminded me a lot of the first Metal Gear Solid, using a D-pad to navigate a 3D space. I think they were able to use a lot of good camera angles and cinematography as you roamed around the station (the one morphball tunnel along the outside of the station stands out, and seeing open space beyond.) I could be wrong, but it seemed that the hidden items indicators would only reveal themselves if you destroyed all the enemies in a room? That's what it seemed like anyways. My final item rate was 67%

It was good to see a return of a lot of the old bosses, like the experiment from Fusion, Queen Metroid, and Phantoon at the very end (and what a fun/hard boss!) I was glad that they started to really ramp in the mastery of the quick dodge in later bosses, like with the Metroids fight.

I will probably put it up for now, let myself forget some stuff, then give it a run-through on hard in the near future.

Red

Boney said:
Don't get me wrong, the regular difficulty is fairly easy, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you're not using missiles, since some enemies are sponges and can you can kill them with one missile and a fatal strike.

I loved the slow motion effect. Began timing my shots so my missile would hit just after Samus exited slo-mo, felt really satisfying.

I had a lot of problems with the first person controls at the beginning, but after finishing the game and going back to replay it... man, I love 'em. Just feels right to me, I love the automatic switching to first person.

I had to rearrange my Wii setup to actually get my remote consistently recognized, and I think a lot of my initial problems had to do with my old configuration. The sensor bar must have been too far away from the TV or something because I had a huge dead zone and had multiple issues with the on-screen cursor. Once I got it working right, everything changed.

Kard8p3 said:
Seems like etiolate got banned.

bisonyess.gif

Thank god, even if I had him in ignore you guys were quoting him too much. :lol

I dont even know how it could pass so many time insulting and trolling without getting banned. But thanks to the almighty mod that did it.

Now that I think it, it has to be sad knowing you got banned and all the people are celebrating :(

heringer said:

That happened to me at the end of the game, but I know why. I was trying to speed boost and spineshark whenever I could (I love it), so I went faster than the game loading the other chambers. That is why it happenes at the end of the game.
Also my wii is of the first sold, and does the sound of a reactor.

Boney

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Now that I think it, it has to be sad knowing you got banned and all the people are celebrating :(
Reminds me of DTL

And yeah I agree first person is so satisfying. Reloading each missile, like Threi put it, it's like shotgun time.

The 10 mins that I've actually been given to play is awesome. The cutscenes and plot.. and narration. OH MY GOD SHUT THE FUCK UP SAMUS!!!!

God forbid that Super Metroid is ever remade by Team Ninja...

Samus: The last Metroid is in captivity, The Galaxy is at peace... Peace, such a thing we mere humans strive for, yet worked so little to give ourselves. Peace can have many meanings.. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.. I remember when i was just a wee tyke running around the old chozo ruins, it was a winters day. A fine day, the corona flared brightly in my lovely bright blue eyes. My gigantic breasts heaved through the wind.. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Wizpig

Just finished it, it's a fun little game, and yes i said "little".
Definitely one of the worst Metroid games, if not the worst, but it's still a cool game, you should play it anyways.

Also, no way in hell i'm going to unlock hard mode

Two plot questions - SPOILERS (also Fusion spoilers)

What about K.G.? he's missing. i think he's the one who betrayed Adam & friends, but...

What about Icy Ridley in Fusion? here, he was almost like a mummy, not frozen... also, the station explodes... is it a plot hole?

Also can you guys link to me that video about the Metroid games' history narrated by Samus?
I'm talking about an official video made by Nintendo, I think, but i still have to see it.

heringer

Mastering the use of missiles in combat is definitely a must playing on hard. And you will cherish every single one of them, since you only have 10 to spare.

Boney

Banned
Wizpig said:
Definitely one of the worst Metroid games, if not the worst, but it's still a cool game, you should play it anyways.

What about K.G.? he's missing. i think he's the one who betrayed Adam & friends, but...

What about Icy Ridley in Fusion? here, he was almost like a mummy, not frozen... also, the station explodes... is it a plot hole?
KG was took a hot bath.
Ridley's corpse was moven to the other station, when you come back to get the 100% the corpse is gone.

I don't see why you would privy yourself of getting the powerups. You can really see some of the cool stuff they've done with the level design that way. Plus Hard Mode rules.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Dabookerman said:
The 10 mins that I've actually been given to play is awesome. The cutscenes and plot.. and narration. OH MY GOD SHUT THE FUCK UP SAMUS!!!!

God forbid that Super Metroid is ever remade by Team Ninja...

Samus: The last Metroid is in captivity, The Galaxy is at peace... Peace, such a thing we mere humans strive for, yet worked so little to give ourselves. Peace can have many meanings.. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.. I remember when i was just a wee tyke running around the old chozo ruins, it was a winters day. A fine day, the corona flared brightly in my lovely bright blue eyes. My gigantic breasts heaved through the wind.. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
I'm pretty sure the narrative was all Sakamoto and had nothing to do with Team Ninja. We talked about it a few pages back. Sakamoto wanted to eliminate the mystery behind Samus and give her a voice so that he can do more with her in the future. The problem is, now he doesn't know what to do with her. It's a catch 22.

Poyunch

Wizpig said:

Also can you guys link to me that video about the Metroid games' history narrated by Samus?
I'm talking about an official video made by Nintendo, I think, but i still have to see it.
K.G.'s the only one missing because he's the only body not found. Remember the Deleter threw a body into the lava of Sector 3.

The Galactic Federation was the one who decided to blow up the Bottle Ship. They probably did some sweeps of the place to get as much data as they could. Either they froze Ridley to preserve him or if they ever remake Fusion it'll probably be retconned.

heringer

Wizpig said:

K.G was the one dropped into the lava pit. James was the traitor, but was probably killed by MB.

The Federation obviously recovered the remainings of Ridley and Nightmare before exploding the station.

edit: beaten.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I'm pretty sure the narrative was all Sakamoto and had nothing to do with Team Ninja. We talked about it a few pages back. Sakamoto wanted to eliminate the mystery behind Samus and give her a voice so that he can do more with her in the future. The problem is, now he doesn't know what to do with her. It's a catch 22.
Told you earlier. He wasn't refering to what to do with her character. He was pondering on wether make Other M 2 with Team Ninja or focus on another piece of hardware with different properties and style.

I'm pretty sure etiolate got banned for being condescendent, calling us dumb fucks. Told everybody to shut the fuck up, and continue to call us villagers and what not.

Red

heringer said:
Mastering the use of missiles in combat is definitely a must playing on hard. And you will cherish every single one of them, since you only have 10 to spare.
Eh, being able to recharge them basically makes the limit a hindrance only during boss fights.

Mael

Boney said:

I don't know the names of the tech so to tell you I use it....
Usually I went by just with the charged shot and the occasional missile for the foes that required it.
The move to get out of 1rst person and avoid a hit seemed a bit unreliable so I didn't rely on it AT ALL.
I don't like using the Ninja gaiden combos so I didn't use them either as nifty effect of the upgrade of the charge shot was more ideal for crowd control.
And just so that it's clear, I have qualms about the missile usability but that doesn't make the way they handled the fights any less fun.
I mean I recognize I have a way to play the game that may be a bit peculiar, after all I adapt the game to my experience and not the other way round usually, but still the fights are the least of my problem with the game.
I mean I liked the fight encounters (except that I would prefer another way to replenish the health)

So yep that's 2 pages of nitpicking.
Still I like having options for battles so I'll try to use other strategies in another playthrough.
Heck if the 3 hearts run of Twilight Princess proved to be the most fun I ever had in 3D zelda this side of Master Quest, a low percent run in Other M might prove interesting.

And the more conciliatory tone is because we put 0-2 to Bosnia in the elimination group of the EUFA cup for 2012. Since that's our first match actually worth watching since 2006, that can put people in a good mood.
And yes that's football related (soccer to you yanks).
So I've 5% left to end this run and then I'll reconsider my opinion in another run.
I doubt I'll like the structural problems I found before on my 2nd playthrough though (level design, zones, Samus actual suit, Samus fucking monologues).

Red

heringer said:
Well, yeah, during boss fights of course.
Yeah. Wasn't disagreeing with you, just misunderstood at first.

Mael: you might as well just play on hard if you're going for a low percent run.

Boney

Banned
You can jump on top of most enemies to deliver an overblast. It deals tons of damage and you get a cool animation out of it. Later enemies have to be tired or semi stunned for it to work.

Lethal strikes work when your enemy in on the floor. From my experience, this happens with a well placed missile blast, or wearing them down with regular shots. (Charge beams also work, but happened only on a very few ocassions. This is basically a finishing move. Deals the most amount of damage in the game and guarantees killing regular enemies. And it's the best way to damage bosses.

MadOdorMachine said:

Thing is, there are many other ways to do it other than the boring shitty monologues.

It's a very large stain on an otherwise great game (so far)

Boney

Banned
Said it earlier as well. Sakamoto is really talented in creating great setting. The overview of the story is pretty good, and the past games have shown this as well. But when it comes to penning down the whole story.. well that's just not a programmers forte. He is out of his element, and the game suffers from that.

yoopoo

Banned
Beat it, excellent game from the start...got even better towards the end. Surprising its getting mixed reviews. Didn't give a shit about Samu's back story, the events that were happening on the ship were much more interesting. One big issue for me was the Samus in the cutscenes vurses Samus in the game it self...I just didn't believe they were the same character...one character seemed too emotional and other was a cold harted bad ass.

Hope there's a direct sequel to this game, and it should take place on alien worlds...there was too much gray on in this game.

Sagitario said:
I just listened to the Ridley theme... so good! :D

Any other good tunes in this game?
Sadly no. The soundtrack is what I consider to be the worst part of the game. I can't believe they managed to release a Metroid with such a lackluster soundtrack.

Red

AndyMoogle said:
Sadly no. The soundtrack is what I consider to be the worst part of the game. I can't believe they managed to release a Metroid with such a lackluster soundtrack.
I liked the understated approach for this game, for some reason. I mean I loved the soundtracks to Super and Prime, don't get me wrong, but I thought Other M's ambiance was fitting.

Metroid II is still my least favorite as far as music goes, though even that one has a couple good tracks.

eXistor

Yeah I'm really not feeling other M. This coming from a guy that has Super Metroid at number 1 of his favorite games ever (along with Earthbound. Those two always have to battle it out for the no. 1 spot). Prime is a pretty genius series as well, with Prime 1 being the high point. I still prefer Metroid 1 over Zero Mission, which I actually rate pretty low as well ( still don't understand why GAF seems to love that game so much).

That said, I think there's a very good game to be made with this engine and technically and control-wise I have almost no complaints. It's just that the "characterization" of Samus really doesn't work. How anyone could greenlight this is beyoind me. They've effectively destroyed the character and the series needs a complete reboot to recover from this debacle. It's quite saddening to see how far off base Sakimoto is with Other M. He doesn't even seem to know what constitutes a good Metroid game.

On top of everything that is wrong with this approach (being completely linear...what the hell where they thinking!), I really don't like the setting either. Holodecks? Really? The game looks good, but has no atmosphere. Where are the actual organic areas? This is unconvincing in every sense.

Seriously, it's very simple: give the player an unexplored organic planet to explore (none of this mechanical spaceship bs), make it more open-ended, no npc's and don't give Samus any lines (please don't). Also put in some MUSIC and you have a great new Metroid. I'd welcome a new Metroid with the Other M engine but only if the game dropped pretty much everything Other M does.

Unless this happens I think I don't have any interest left in Metroid. I know this happens to so many long-running series, but Metroid is quite dear to my heart and I don't want to see it die this undignified death.

I know it sounds like I absolutely hate the game, but truth be told, I am enjoying myself. But only because I keep telling myself this is not a real Metroid and this really is the first game to be really not up to standards. Everyone is allowed one misstep. I just hope they keep it at Other M.

wsippel

Banned
Boney said:
Said it earlier as well. Sakamoto is really talented in creating great setting. The overview of the story is pretty good, and the past games have shown this as well. But when it comes to penning down the whole story.. well that's just not a programmers forte. He is out of his element, and the game suffers from that.
That's a really interesting point: Some people say he doesn't know anything about writing. On the other hand, he wrote several RPGs and even text adventures in the past. Supposedly, he was the founder and one of only three members of R&D1's writer team, who did scenarios, stories and characters for several successful Nintendo IPs.

Red

wsippel said:
That's a really interesting point: Some people say he doesn't know anything about writing. On the other hand, he wrote several RPGs and even text adventures in the past. Supposedly, he was the founder and one of only three members of R&D1's writer team, who did scenarios, stories and characters for several successful Nintendo IPs.
He's very close to the character of Samus, and I think that clouds his judgment. This is the first time he's personally had the means to convey his full vision of what and who she is, and it's not the same visions fans have interpreted from past games. The guy has been mulling these ideas around in his head for decades, so it's probably tough for him to be objective about what's really necessary and what's not.

Plus he must've been horribly excited to share his vision with the world, since he obviously thought it was something grand and impressive.

Wizpig

Thanks for the answers.

And WHAT THE FLYING FUCK at
that ugly boss being a Fusion boss; i forgot him completely... so he's called nightmare?

Red

Wizpig said:
Thanks for the answers.

that ugly boss being a Fusion boss; i forgot him completely... so he's called nightmare?
Yeah. Great fight. I was glad he was in there, though I wish he was a little tougher. I thought his patterns were the best out of all the bosses. Loved the
gravity powers he had, especially that gravity sphere that pulled in your projectiles. Good stuff, I just wanted more of it.

Boney

Banned
Wizpig said:
Thanks for the answers.

To me it's kinda like the original Metroid and Super. Both share so many characteristics and situations. I think he likes working on pairs while designing some games.

wsippel said:
Now that you mention it, I wonder where Shikimaru Ninja is. I think the difference between those titles is that they were much simpler in terms of presentation, so perhaps that really works on his favour.

Top Bottom