• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Iwatas Magic Sports Coat said:
The one area where the game really failed was in the soundtrack. Metroid is a franchise known for iconic music. This games OST was far to ambient for my liking. It kind of worked, but at the same time I wanted some awesome memorable themes that I've come to expect from the franchise.

This right here. Haishima's soundtrack is for the most part terribly dull (the music is "almost non existent" as one review I read put it). IMHO it's in the running with NSMB series for all time worst Nintendo soundtracks. The only parts of the soundtrack I enjoyed was the bit right before you enter
the Kihunter queen's nest
and the nice ambient music in the Ice Tunnels when
the gravity is reversed.
It's a shame Yamamoto was apparently too busy helping with DKC's soundtrack but even then there was just no decent effort. But we probably can't just blame Haishima as this is probably even more evidence of Sakamoto's very uneven direction on this game. If he had say on how the cut scenes played out you'd think he was also giving input on the soundtrack.

Ninjimbo

Other M, for me, is almost a great game. I don't understand the hate the game gets actually. There are some segments that don't work like the pixel-hunting first person segments but I don't see them bringing the game down for any fan of the franchise. The combat and the general progression of the game is classic Metroid and more true to the series than anything we saw in Metroid Prime. I say that because Prime had Samus walking around like a tank rather than be the agile heroine that I remember her being in the 2-D games. Don't get me wrong. I love the Metroid Prime games but there's a feeling that Other M captured that wasn't present in Metroid Prime.

I know a lot of people hated Samus' characterization, but I was fine with it. Samus was never more than a placeholder hero with tits for me so seeing her muse about her background and dig into her personality was interesting. Could the dialogue and cutscenes have been done better? No question but they were never a detriment. You spend more time kicking ass than watching cutscenes anyway.

I'll say the fight against Ridley is one of the best in the series. So much precision was required but at the end of it all, I came out smiling like the happiest motherfucker on the planet. It was so satisfying.

Alrus

Agent Unknown said:
Agreed, It's a let down for the series and needed a lot more balance, more backtracking and polish but it's still a very fun game. However, since you're mentioning bosses, I've mentioned this before but I just gotta say it again,
the last "fight" with MB and the bug sentry things was flat out terrible. You're forced to just stand there, aim, flail and shoot arcade style until you hit enough of the bugs to make the cut scene kick in where the Fed troops take down MB. The game's opening movie was screaming for the last boss to be an actual Mother Brain clone but no, gotta stick with the cliche'd anime sci fi theme. And why didn't we get a Kraid clone either?
If it weren't for
the win-set piece with the Metroid Queen before (except for insane gaffe with the power bomb) and the Phantoon battle later,
the game's last segment would have left a 100% awful taste in my mouth.

Oh I completely agree, that part was awful and even more unintuitive than the
Metroid Queen fight
. I actually had to look it up online because I kept dying and had no idea what to do. Thank god the other boss fights are much better.

I agree that this game is quite a mess but I still enjoyed it a lot somehow...

Alrus said:
I actually had to look it up online because I kept dying and had no idea what to do.

You and almost everyone else, first time with a Nintendo game that I had to go online and read a FAQ just to
realize I had obtained a new powerup! It wouldn't have been so bad to figure out if the power bomb was required to be used at least once in an area before the fight.
Man, was the direction on this game poor in parts. :(

Hiltz

Nintendo released some interesting facts about how it created some of the names in the Metroid franchise.

“There was one more staff member, and the two of us decided on it. We attached ‘android’ to the ‘metro subway’ and that’s how we got ‘Metroid’.” - Hiroji Kiyotake

The original title was called Space Hunter.

Samus Aran's name is based on Edison Arantes do Nascimento, the soccer player better known as Pelé.

“Kiyotake, If you check if Pelé’s real name was ‘Samus Arantes,’ that’s a little incorrect. He’s called ‘Something’ Arantes Nascimento, and only ‘Aran’ matches. (Laughs)” - Yoshio Sakamoto.

In addition, ‘SR388,’ the planet on which the Metroids were discovered, comes from a bike engine! (Laughs). In Yamaha’s bikes, there is a series called SR400, and in those days, while it was called 400cc, you didn’t have any choice but 388cc, but it was written like that for the time being, and that’s how it came out! (Laughs)” - Yoshio Sakamoto

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Boney said:
it's not about that for me. That's why I'm not a big fan of the original.

It offers some nice platforming, puzzles, and interconections. It doesn't reach Super and Zero Mission levels, but on it's own right, it's quite good.

but woosh i'm out of here, i've had my say plenty of times about it. I just recommend everybody to try it out, but beware, you might hate it with a passion. Which is better than finding it meh at least. It stirs emotions.
Thing is, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence does all that, and it does it better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jarosh said:
dot dot dot

Exactly. Prime is way more true to the exploration and non linearity that are the staples of a Metroid game. And it wasnt until Prime/Fusion that the series got good bosses.

Boney

Banned
Freshmaker said:
Thing is, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence does all that, and it does it better.
I can see you haven't played Lament of Innocence.

It has good music though.

HK-47 said:
Exactly. Prime is way more true to the exploration and non linearity that are the staples of a Metroid game. And it wasnt until Prime/Fusion that the series got good bosses.
I'm not saying Other M has any of the exploration and non linearity that is only really present in Metroid and Super, but the Prime series doesn't have it either.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I didn't mind Other M..some parts i liked a lot other such as getting stuck for ages (my fault) haven't 100% it yet, should do one day maybe..lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Boney said:
I can see you haven't played Lament of Innocence.
I have. It actually has exploration and rewards that with loot. Other M leaves you with energy tanks and missile upgrades while giving you no incentive to fight enemies except when they throw you into a closed room situation.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I have a love-hate relationship with Other M.

Things I like:

- Pretty much every boss fight.
- All the reference to Fusion.
- The cutscenes looks gorgeous.
- Anthony is a bad-ass. (No, really, best character in the freaking game.)
- Post-game segment.

Things I didn't like:

- Anything about the story.
- Samus' voice.
- Samus
- Samus' hooker look in her Zero Suit.
- The freaking baby.
- The pre-Ridley fight cutscene clusterfuck.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TekkenMaster said:
So is there any indication that Sakamoto has heard the criticism of Samus' characterization?

He will ignore them, just like he ignores the Prime games in the series' canon.

Boney

Banned
Freshmaker said:
I have. It actually has exploration and rewards that with loot. Other M leaves you with energy tanks and missile upgrades while giving you no incentive to fight enemies except when they throw you into a closed room situation.
I suggest you play it again then and get lost in the infinity of awful designed levels and samey hallways.

TekkenMaster said:
So is there any indication that Sakamoto has heard the criticism of Samus' characterization?
In all the pre-release interviews he was very eager to hear about players impressions. Sadly, the only post mortem interview I'm really aware of is Nate Bihldorff's. I'm sure he's heard of most criticism regarding it, I mean the game bombed hard. But the problem is I have is that most criticisms, well the most vocal ones have been about the characterization of Samus, and well they're fine and all, I support them, but I think there's more pressing things to critizise and build upon from the game which have been lost from all the back and forth yelling, like the clunky over the shoulder camara and first person scanning (detective mode), a disjointed balance between core mechanics and exploration suited both for normal and hard mode. The very hands on localization job he did and the obtuse manner it presented information to the player in order to feel more cinematic. Of course there's also stuff that really hit it out the park like combat, animations and camara work, as well in my personal opinion a tightly designed map which is very identifiable and managable.

SHAZOOM

BY2K said:

Things I like:

- Post-game segment.

Things I didn't like:

- Samus' voice.
- Samus
- The freaking baby.
Nails it on the head for me. Game is a solid 7-8 game. Movement is better than the Primes (meaning Samus can shinespark/space jump around), but the poor level design/art direction pulls it down.

Basically, I enjoy Other M for the faster pace combat/movement, while the Primes are better at exploration (though they kind of laid the scanning a bit thick in Echoes/Corruption).

I found the second playthrough to be much more enjoyable for some reason.

Things I liked:

-Opening scene fan service times 9,000
-Technical quality of cut scenes
-Occasional over the shoulder perspective
-Boss fights
-Plentiful save points
-Sense Dodge
-Concentration
-
Phantoon bonus fight

Things I disliked:
-All Samus dialog
-All Anthony dialog (WAY too stereotypical)
-Thumbs down
-When the screen freezes and you have to find some stupid shit a la Where's Waldo
-Samus is scared of Ridley all of a sudden?
-Generic locations
-Music not ambient enough to warrant switching to ambient music

Boney said:
I'm not saying Other M has any of the exploration and non linearity that is only really present in Metroid and Super, but the Prime series doesn't have it either.
It got progressively worse but it's still present in the Prime series. It's completely absent in Other M.

And I honestly wouldn't group Super Metroid's level of non-linearity in the same manner as the original Metroid. Super is a lot more streamlined than the original.

Boney

Banned
Magicpaint said:
It got progressively worse but it's still present in the Prime series. It's completely absent in Other M.

And I honestly wouldn't group Super Metroid's level of non-linearity in the same manner as the original Metroid. Super is a lot more streamlined than the original.
I agree completely on both regards, except I would only place Prime 1 and 2 there. Prime 3 is really in an inbetween design, which I think really hurts it.

Freshmaker said:
I'm saying it's better than Other M. I'm not saying it's a masterwork.
And I'm saying go play it again and then come back to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BY2K said:

Things I like:

- Post-game segment.

Things I didn't like:

- Samus' voice.
- Samus
- The freaking baby.
Fuck yeah, MANthony is indeed a true badass

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
I straight-up refuse to get into another Other M debate, but this right here is factually wrong.

Go play Prime or Echoes with hints off and then come back here, look my avatar in the eye, and type this.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rez said:
I straight-up refuse to get into another Other M debate, but this right here is factually wrong.

Go play Prime or Echoes with hints off and then come back here, look my avatar in the eye, and type this.

Plus they have some pretty sick sequence breaking. Especially in Prime NTSC.

The Lamp

My friends and I all appreciate Other M for being fun as hell. Such a unique gameplay/control style for Metroid.

Everything else, like the plot, I pretty much try to ignore, though.

Rez said:

Hell yes. Aether is a total mindfuck and I love it.

Unicorn

Well, I was really liking the pace of the game up until this segment.

It's fucking frustrating as all hell. What the fuck. Am I really supposed to dodge their shots and only hit them while their guns are open?
bullshit.png

The Xtortionist said:
Hell yes. Aether is a total mindfuck and I love it.
Brilliantly realized world and very challenging. I would also say turning the hints off in Prime 3 adds quite a bit of challenge but not nearly on the same level. I will say I prefer Prime 3 over all of them for its amazing replay value.

Other M is just a disappointment all around. If it didn't have the Metroid name we would just pass it off as a generic Ninja Gaiden-type and be on with it.

MooMoo

I've been wondering this ever since I got this game:
I played this on my old SDTV and a large majority of the game seemed too dark. It wasn't for the entirety of the game but I remember some of the corridors and some of the plant areas were dark enough that it was hard to see the background textures. I guess a better way to put it was that it felt like I had to squint to see in the dark. I tried adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc. but nothing seemed to help. Is the game actually as dark as it appeared to me or is it just a byproduct of using an old TV?

robor

TekkenMaster said:
I'm really starting to think Gunpei Yokoi was the true creative genius behind Super Metroid.

He didn't make Fusion so I'm going to have to disagree entirely with that one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
_Alkaline_ said:
HK, you've been saying some stupid things lately. This is one of them.

Really? You think Super's bosses as a whole are even in the same league? Outside of Ridley and Mother Brain, none of them are great and certainly none of them are on a level with Nightmare or Metroid Prime or SA-X or Mecha Ridley. Hell even ideas like the serpentine boss and and boss you have to shoot in the mouth from underneath are done better in subsequent games.

HK-47 said:
Really? You think Super's bosses as a whole are even in the same league? Outside of Ridley and Mother Brain, none of them are great and certainly none of them are on a level with Nightmare or Metroid Prime or SA-X or Mecha Ridley. Hell even ideas like the serpentine boss and and boss you have to shoot in the mouth from underneath are done better in subsequent games.

I took you literally. You said the series prior to Fusion didn't have good bosses, so I'm assuming you don't think they're good.

Which is a ridiculous statement to make.

If you don't think they're good in comparison, well, that at least can certainly be an arguable stance.

robor

HK-47 said:

Even that robot sub-boss in Fusion was great.

Unicorn

Unicorn said:
Well, I was really liking the pace of the game up until this segment.

It's fucking frustrating as all hell. What the fuck. Am I really supposed to dodge their shots and only hit them while their guns are open?
bullshit.png
Finally beat the fuckers.

It's not even really worth discuss anyway though. Echoes had by far and away the best boss battles in the series when it was released.

Still does, too, even though Other M made a decent showing.

I picked up this game for cheap, tried to register it on the Nintendo website yesterday and got a message "we do not have this product in our catalogue", the code was valid because I changed one digit to test and instead got an "invalid code" error...it seems like Nintendo have disowned the game :/

Sagitario

Hiltz said:
Nintendo released some interesting facts about how it created some of the names in the Metroid franchise.

“There was one more staff member, and the two of us decided on it. We attached ‘android’ to the ‘metro subway’ and that’s how we got ‘Metroid’.” - Hiroji Kiyotake

Samus Aran's name is based on Edison Arantes do Nascimento, the soccer player better known as Pelé.

“Kiyotake, If you check if Pelé’s real name was ‘Samus Arantes,’ that’s a little incorrect. He’s called ‘Something’ Arantes Nascimento, and only ‘Aran’ matches. (Laughs)” - Yoshio Sakamoto.

In addition, ‘SR388,’ the planet on which the Metroids were discovered, comes from a bike engine! (Laughs). In Yamaha’s bikes, there is a series called SR400, and in those days, while it was called 400cc, you didn’t have any choice but 388cc, but it was written like that for the time being, and that’s how it came out! (Laughs)” - Yoshio Sakamoto

Those are some neat little facts.

evilromero said:
Brilliantly realized world and very challenging. I would also say turning the hints off in Prime 3 adds quite a bit of challenge but not nearly on the same level. I will say I prefer Prime 3 over all of them for its amazing replay value.

Other M is just a disappointment all around. If it didn't have the Metroid name we would just pass it off as a generic Ninja Gaiden-type and be on with it.

I'm playing Echoes on my Trilogy disc these days (man, do I love Torvus Bog), trying to get a perfect score. Fantastic level design aside, when the remixed version of the "Brinstar Red Earth" theme from Super kicks in, you know it's all legit. I dunno if I can bring myself to finally 100% Corruption though, the rediculous amount of scans to collect in that game make the first two's log books look like nothing.

Hiltz said:

Great stuff, where'd you find it?

Ellis Kim

Banned
JasonMCG said:
So...after 2 hours, I think I hate this game. The controls are clunky, the environments (so far) are pretty ugly and all I want to do is play Metroid Prime. If I don't like it yet, am I doomed to hate it until the end? I want to like it, I really do, but I think that's my OCD of having to finish every game I start... I think this might be the one that I don't finish.
I recommend taking a break for a week, and then coming back, possibly starting a new game. For some reason, after I had a really negative first impression, I took a break from the game for a month or so, came back to it, started a new game, and found it to be pleasantly fast paced and enjoyable, as I already knew the controls.

Boney said:
In all the pre-release interviews he was very eager to hear about players impressions. Sadly, the only post mortem interview I'm really aware of is Nate Bihldorff's. I'm sure he's heard of most criticism regarding it, I mean the game bombed hard. But the problem is I have is that most criticisms, well the most vocal ones have been about the characterization of Samus, and well they're fine and all, I support them, but I think there's more pressing things to critizise and build upon from the game which have been lost from all the back and forth yelling, like the clunky over the shoulder camara and first person scanning (detective mode), a disjointed balance between core mechanics and exploration suited both for normal and hard mode. The very hands on localization job he did and the obtuse manner it presented information to the player in order to feel more cinematic. Of course there's also stuff that really hit it out the park like combat, animations and camara work, as well in my personal opinion a tightly designed map which is very identifiable and managable.
I dunno. As much as I like Metroid Other M, I have to say that the combat system felt like a Metroid-skinned wiimote-simplified version of Ninja Gaiden 2's obliteration technique (where you impair an enemy, get up close, press triangle/Y, cut off their head).

Top Bottom