• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Echoes much harder than the original

Eric-GCA

Banned
according to Matt C.
All reports I've heard indicate that Prime 2 is seriously, seriously more difficult than the first game. Downright hard, in some cases.

Should be awesome.

Matt

Should be fun. :)

impirius

vert.bush.jpg

"Bring it on."

Lakitu

st5fu
Sweet. I thought Metroid Prime was quite hard, but this should provide an immense challenge, really looking forward to it.

Buggy Loop

Hell yes! Dark samus in the 41m footage from Insider already looked a lot more difficult than pretty much any metroid prime boss, and thats the first encounter with it.

Deku Tree

Nice. I like that.

But they should have three difficulty settings:

weaksauce
normal
hard

i.e. I hope it's not so hard that it turns away gamers like F-Zero GX did.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Hell yes! Dark samus in the 41m footage from Insider already looked a lot more difficult than pretty much any metroid prime boss, and thats the first encounter with it.

I played the Dark Samus battle twice during E3, and I must say that I was very close to dying both times. It was not an easy battle by any means.

I hope it's not hard enough to be frustrating.
I liked Metroid Prime's difficulty, it was challenging but I never got frustrated by it.

Ramirez

MP had a nice challenge level on Normal,IMO...the game to me is more about exploration,I can't be bothered with little monsters that take away half of my health with one hit :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Flynn said:
I wasn't a fan of Metroid: Prime's last battle. Unnecessarily difficult.
I didn't even bother with it. It wasn't fun or original. It was just a tedious and frustrating chore.

Which leads to my question, since I thought the difficult parts of Prime were more frustrating and annoying that difficult, so is Echoes going to be more challenging or more frustrating? If the latter, I'll pass.

Dan said:
I didn't even bother with it. It wasn't fun or original. It was just a tedious and frustrating chore.

Which leads to my question, since I thought the difficult parts of Prime were more frustrating and annoying that difficult, so is Echoes going to be more challenging or more frustrating? If the latter, I'll pass.

IAWTP

I forced my way to the final form and then it seemed to get even harder. That was that for me. I was satisfied with actually seeing all the game, I didn't have to beat that rediculious boss.

As for this news, I pray it's not true. I can't imagine ever passing on a Metroid game, but if it's trying to get some fame for being hardcore, I'll sadly pass:(

Memles

Meier said:
I never did beat Metroid Prime since I couldnt win the final battle. :(

Join the Club.

Loved the game up until that point. Then that happened.

I would have finished it if I hadn't kept having to go through the Impact Crater. Just a CHORE.

And I have acquired a Tag...who would have thought it would be a throwaway overtly sarcastic promotion of a Prime Minister to do it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Is there actually going to be a story in this game that I don't have to read?

Samus makes contact with the Luminoth, in person. I do not think they would use text bubbles. As far as scaning to find info, yes you will need to read. It is an adventure games after all. :p

Deku Tree

Society said:
http://www.metroid2002.com/home.php

Click on version differences.

EU and NA Player Choice were more like MP 1.5.

That list reads like changes that make it harder to sequence break but not necessarily things that make it harder for the average gamer (like say enemies have more energy in the PAL version). I knew that it was harder to get super low finish times in the pal version but I didn't think we were talking about that. I thought we were talking about difficulty for other stuff like puzzles or bosses.

Is the PAL version harder from the standpoint of a gamer who doesn't care about completion time? I mean check this out (from that site)

Phazon damage was turned down in the Japanese, European and Australian versions

Kon Tiki

Banned
Deku Tree said:
That list reads like changes that make it harder to sequence break but not necessarily things that make it harder for the average gamer (like say enemies have more energy in the PAL version). I knew that it was harder to get super low finish times in the pal version but I didn't think we were talking about that. I thought we were talking about difficulty for other stuff like puzzles or bosses.

Is the PAL version harder from the standpoint of a gamer who doesn't care about completion time? I mean check this out (from that site)
Hmm, they used to have a list of changes, not just cosmetic ones. Let me find another list, or one who ones the PAL version.

Enemies will take more shots to kill, deal more damage, and drop fewer health and ammo refills when finally killed. Environmental hazards will also do more damage. The environment will now include doors that require multiple shots to open, a touch from previous Metroid games. The optional hint system will also take longer to kick in. No word on how these changes affect any Hard Mode remaining in the game.

http://www.gameforms.com/news/?732

Deku Tree

WOW.

gameforms said:
Voice acting, which made a brief and tinny debut in Super Metroid, will be added in multiple ways. Voices will announce locked doors, read scan data and new entries in Samus' log book, and appear in the game's opening and ending sequences.

Was all that voice acting really included in the PAL version? Makes me envy PAL gamers...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The last boss in Metroid Prime was a bitch (especially if you didn't have all of the special attacks for each beam), I hope they don't make the entire game with that kind of difficulty.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BobbyRobby said:
With no FPS experience, I was able to beat Metroid Prime pretty easily, aside from one boss.

I'm down for a challenge.

I don't see how FPS experience would change anything. :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
This is a game series that would heavily benefit from the harder difficulty. Metroid Prime was also woefully easy but nice to see that they are keeping that option for those who aren't interested in a challenge.

P.S. I am Wario64's sensei from the afterlife.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
MP wasn't that hard. Not even on hard mode (US launch version.) But it was fun, and it did have a couple of moments that were challenging.

FoneBone

I thought that it was only the bosses that were particularly difficult in the first game -- mostly, it wasn't that challenging. I hope they haven't made things too difficult.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Does the whole light world dark world thing remind anyone of the movie "The Dark Crystal?" I'm not complaining or anything, cause it's a cool idea. I'm just saying the seem kind of similar to me.

An ass whopping?!?!.... Great, haven't had that since Omega Pirate did a number on me! :D :D

Here's my scope that it did a number on me. Starting at #1 which is the worst.

Metroid Prime: Harder to kill

1. Omega Pirate ( can't concentrate due to stupid Yellow and Pink pirates )
2. Yellow Pirates ( 5 of 'em on screen at once in the same room )
3. Flaagrah ( knocking out 4 satellite sun dish to take her out )

Flynn

Despite my complaints, I did manage to finally kill that final boss.

All said, it required exactly one Naval detachment's-worth of cursing to get the job done.

Top Bottom