• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Echoes much harder than the original

Mashing

CrimsonSkies said:
Is there actually going to be a story in this game that I don't have to read?

Yeah, apparently Xbox gamers can't read.... that's why KOTOR had voice acting throughout.

I KID, I KID!! ;)

Anyway, how would you prefer a Metroid game to tell a story? Do you really want to hear Samus speak? I wouldn't be opposed to a suit upgrade that acts as Samus' Cortana or something.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I died a couple of times on my initial playthrough of MP on normal difficulty. Both the Omega Pirate and the Metroid Prime killed me once, each. Flaaghra did too. Ridley did not.

On my Hard mode playthrough, I died only once.

Spike

Mashing said:
Anyway, how would you prefer a Metroid game to tell a story? Do you really want to hear Samus speak? I wouldn't be opposed to a suit upgrade that acts as Samus' Cortana or something.

Yeah, like Adam from Fusion as the suit's voice.

I enjoy games that provide a challenge but cheap and incredibly difficult bosses coupled with tedium in stages isn't my idea of fun. I also made it to the last boss in Metroid Prime but lost interest after taking him on a few times.

In my younger gaming days I would have persisted until he was beat but I have better things to do with my time. Hopefully part 2 will be able to provide a good overall package and won't be a chore like the last stage in part one was (the only negative to detract from this otherwise excellent game).

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Meier said:
I beat Ninja Gaiden with ease but never could get through the end of Prime or Viewtiful Joe. :(

You gotta stick with it dude. All you need to beat these games is a little perserverance.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I actually found hard mode in Metroid Prime easier than normal mode. Sounds stupid I know, but it's true.

I think it's probably because I'd already played through the whole game once, so I knew what to expect from certain areas, enemies and bosses the second time through.

Anyway, a harder sequel is more than welcome.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Scrow said:
I actually found hard mode in Metroid Prime easier than normal mode. Sounds stupid I know, but it's true.
Very very true.

After mastering the weaponry and memorizing most of the levels harder enemies don't just cut it. I think the same applies to mostly everyone; after going through Normal once, Hard mode didn't present enough of a challenge.

olimario

Banned
I can't believe people had trouble with the final boss in Metroid Prime. She wasn't THAT hard to defeat, though it was a brilliant and nerve-racking fight. Hell... a lot of fights in that game left your heart beating and your palms sweaty.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Getting mugged left my heart beating and my palms sweaty, doesn't mean it was fun.

olimario

Banned
Dan said:
Getting mugged left my heart beating and my palms sweaty, doesn't mean it was fun.

In video games I find polished, hard fought fights fun. The boss fights in Prime were extremely balances and polished. I got the same feeling from those that I got from the hardest bosses in the MegaMan X games. That's a good feeling.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What was so hard about Metroid Prime's last battle? I found it to be pretty simple, especially compared to the big pirate guy.

Meier

I died once and just didnt feel like going through all the hassle to get to the boss again... so I didnt. Still the best game this gen though IMO.

Coen

From what I've been hearing from Jurjen Tiersema, the game's enemies aren't harder to beat (comparing to the PAL version of the original), but the game features more and complexer puzzles to solve. One of the coders made a statement that the game features morphball puzzles that take like 15 minutes to solve. Well, he wasn't lying about that.

AniHawk

CrimsonSkies said:
Is there actually going to be a story in this game that I don't have to read?

:lol

Sorry, that just struck me as funny. I know what you mean though, and I agree.

Took me a bit to beat Metroid Prime fully, but I await the challenge. BRING IT.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
It’s a great game but MP is very over rated I loved the giant boss battles but hated the back tracking. Retro should focus on getting rid of the insane amount of tedious back tracking rather then the difficulty.

etiolate

Banned

I prefer playing out the story, as it has been in Metroid games, rather than the story played out to me. Super Metroid seemed.. 'cinematic' without any cinema. Even Prime didn't quite capture the feel of what Super Metroid did. Basically a story you played out without words. The role the baby metroid plays out during that game is still one of the best things in videogames to me.

PS: Prime bosses rocked hard. Not a pun about the best boss. Oddly enough, I was able to beat the final boss quite a few times on my first go at it and now I can't beat him. The hyper-beam setup for that is kind of annoying.

AniHawk

Even Prime didn't quite capture the feel of what Super Metroid did. Basically a story you played out without words. The role the baby metroid plays out during that game is still one of the best things in videogames to me.
P
S: Prime bosses rocked hard. Not a pun about the best boss. Oddly enough, I was able to beat th times on my first go at it and now I can't beat him. The hyper-beam setup for that is kind of annoying.

Hah, the same thing happened to me. All this talk about MP recently made me go back and retry the game and I couldn't beat the stupid thing the first two times.

Mr Gump

Banned
Meh, i got pissed of at the phazon mines. I dont have the patience anymore if they want to make it harder.

Good game though. Im a fan of what it tries to achieve but my idea of fun is not to make things harder, just more creative.

Teddman

I didn't find the last boss in Prime to be all that tough. Took me like three tries. The Omega Pirate and Ridley were both harder. I think Ridley took me seven or eight tries to get past, and I barely beat him when I did.

Anyhow, power bombs are your friends in the last fight.

AniHawk

Teddman said:
I didn't find the last boss in Prime to be all that tough. Took me like three tries. The Omega Pirate and Ridley were both harder. I think Ridley took me seven or eight tries to get past, and I barely beat him when I did.

On hard mode, right?

Saki

Banned
olimario said:
I can't believe people had trouble with the final boss in Metroid Prime. She wasn't THAT hard to defeat, though it was a brilliant and nerve-racking fight. Hell... a lot of fights in that game left your heart beating and your palms sweaty.
Metroid Prime was a cheap boss (the octopus form)
And she was tough in PAL Hard Mode

Teddman

AniHawk said:
On hard mode, right?
Nah, I didn't bother playing Hard mode. Honestly, to Hell with that, Metroid Prime was frustrating enough. At the time I fought Ripley, I hadn't gotten several key powerups yet, but I combed through to around 95% or something before facing the last boss.

AniHawk

Teddman said:
Nah, I didn't bother playing Hard mode. Honestly, to Hell with that, Metroid Prime was frustrating enough. At the time I fought Ripley, I hadn't gotten several key powerups yet, but I combed through to around 95% or something before facing the last boss.

Oh. I never played Hard mode either. Got the 100% ending, and that was pretty much it for me after 20 hours of gametime.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I started to play the first one again. What is up with that trick to beat the Parasite Queen in 4 secs? I could never do it. MP is still beautiful, the visor effects still amaze me, esp after playing newer FP games.

Prospero

The only part of the game that I had real trouble with was the first time through the Phazon Mines, when there was a long period between one save point and the next. Bosses didn't give me too much trouble.

If it's the puzzles in MP2 that are harder, then bring on the difficulty.

Do The Mario said:
It’s a great game but MP is very over rated I loved the giant boss battles but hated the back tracking. Retro should focus on getting rid of the insane amount of tedious back tracking rather then the difficulty.

What the fuck do you want? It's Metroid.

Great to hear the difficulty increase is in the puzzles. That's an area I'd enjoy having to work harder at.

ElyrionX

The only thing that was hard about the original was the controls....

Give me dual analog and I will own Echoes.........

I agree with the general consensus, prime was a bit on the easy side on hard mode. I only died one or two times while figuring out the pattern for the last boss.

Shame they didn't up the difficulty on the Player's Choice edition, or basing it on the same code as the JPN and PAL versions.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think the last boss became a chore because it took so damn long too. If you screwed up you had to run all the way through the last area to get to the boss again, and fight two forms. Just the thought of that made me lose motivation. And the very last boss gave me the impression that the controls couldn't keep up. I found it hard to see if I was standing in the right place all the time, and where the enemies were, and where the boss disappeared too. More annoying than hard.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck do you want? It's Metroid.

did you read my post?

-It’s a great game
-I loved the giant boss battles

Back tracking is very dull in 3D; it's more interesting back tracking in the 2D metroid. IMO there should be warp points around the place maybe retro will use the morph ball cannon to prevent to much back tracking!

Why should a metroid title be about back tracking??? The game should move out of the 80's and 90's??

Claus

Banned
Do The Mario said:
did you read my post?

-It’s a great game
-I loved the giant boss battles

Back tracking is very dull in 3D; it's more interesting back tracking in the 2D metroid. IMO there should be warp points around the place maybe retro will use the morph ball cannon to prevent to much back tracking!

Why should a metroid title be about back tracking??? The game should move out of the 80's and 90's??

There were small shortcuts all over the place.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Do The Mario said:

Backtracking, big bosses, sequence breaking, speed runs. All four make up Metroid. The only title to break that was Fusion (and Metroid II, but II was unique).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Back tracking is very dull in 3D; it's more interesting back tracking in the 2D metroid.

Wha? Backtracking in Prime was FAR more interesting than in every other previous Metroid game IMO...

Loved it.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I spouse I would just prefer to explore new 3D environments rather then the same one several times! Probably why I am a big platformer fan!

That’s why Mario and not metroid is my bag! I will still buy the game when it’s released and enjoy it!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Society said:
Backtracking, big bosses, sequence breaking, speed runs. All four make up Metroid. The only title to break that was Fusion (and Metroid II, but II was unique).
and the scenario of Metroid II is possibly the best in the series yet

Tritroid

Metroid IV was already the sequel to II, more so than it was to III. Especially considering it dealt with SR388, the X rising due to the Metroids being eradicated, the SR388 environment used for
Metroid breeding
on the Space station, etc.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Tritroid said:
Metroid IV was already the sequel to II, more so than it was to III. Especially considering it dealt with SR388, the X rising due to the Metroids being eradicated, the SR388 environment used for
Metroid breeding
on the Space station, etc.
I was not talking in terms of story. I was talking about the hunting. You could see the connection during the Gamer's Summit. The presenter was just mindlessly shooting enemies racking up points. With the right direction, Hunters could be the spiritual successor to Metroid II.

I just checked, Metroid II had one sequence break, speed runs, one huge boss, and some backtracking. :p

Drek

Good the game'll need it. Not that cheap artificial difficulty where they but you in BS situations but some real good meaty challenge. I pimp slapped the first one, hopefully I'll see some challenge in this one. ;P

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Bacon said:
Really hard games suck. This better not be true.

My guess is it's just Matt Casserole hype.

Point 1 - Stop being a poof.

Point 2 - This guy utters hype with every breath, though I'd love it if true.

Flynn said:
I wasn't a fan of Metroid: Prime's last battle. Unnecessarily difficult.

I found Prime extremely hard the first time playing through the game. Probably took me close to a dozen attempts to beat it. But on my second play through I beat Prime the first time! Was quite shocked as I had sooo much trouble the first time. I think I had a few more energy tanks though as I had a much higher completion percentage at the end of the game.

Hardest most frustrating fight for me is still Mizar in Jet Force Gemini. That was one fucked up frustrating fight. Only beat Mizar once. Could never do it again.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Do The Mario said:

How is having one, large world to explore (yes, with backtracking) keeping the series "stuck" in the 80s and 90s?

If you don't like backtracking - if sequential "levels" are more your bag - there there's a host of games out there available to you. Go play them instead.

Top Bottom