• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Echoes much harder than the original

SaitoH

In response to the OP: Damn, the first game was perfect. Hard without getting too frustrating. I don't really want a tougher game, unless It's just a selectable option.

Prospero

dark10x said:
Wha? Backtracking in Prime was FAR more interesting than in every other previous Metroid game IMO...

Loved it.

MP is the only game I can think of this gen for which backtracking is an asset instead of a liability, if only because of the graphics. The areas were all so detailed that you really had to give them a second look in order to appreciate them.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't like backtracking - if sequential "levels" are more your bag - there there's a host of games out there available to you. Go play them instead.

Read all my posts before posting this crap

I will still buy the game when it’s released and enjoy it!

Just because i think retro can reduce the back tracking doesn't mean i hate the game, it's just ONE! Problem i have with it!!!

With a name like Do The Mario you would think i was the fanboy who thought Metroid Prime was absolutely flawless!

vitaflo

Teddman said:
I didn't find the last boss in Prime to be all that tough. Took me like three tries. The Omega Pirate and Ridley were both harder. I think Ridley took me seven or eight tries to get past, and I barely beat him when I did.

I find it interesting that people have such differnet issues with the bosses in Prime. I thought the Omega Pirate and Ridley were pretty easy, I beat them both on my first try (I must have been lucky). But for the life of me I can't finish off that last boss. :/

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
xsarien said:
If you don't like backtracking - if sequential "levels" are more your bag - there there's a host of games out there available to you. Go play them instead.

Oh, come on...the Metroid games are more than just backtracking. And I'm convinced it would be possible to make a Metroid about exploration without relying too much on backtracking. Look at Metroid Fusion, for example, which happens to be the best Metroid game I've played in years, or probably ever. There wasn't much backtracking in that game, unless you wanted to find every small little secret.

Metroid is a living breathing world. I scoff at this notion of backtracking. Metroid transcends that and it looks like with larger environments and more clever and difficult layouts the best gamne of this generation, and perhaps the best franchise of all generations, has gotten better. :D

Memles

vitaflo said:
I find it interesting that people have such differnet issues with the bosses in Prime. I thought the Omega Pirate and Ridley were pretty easy, I beat them both on my first try (I must have been lucky). But for the life of me I can't finish off that last boss. :/

I think I was about the same...my issue, instead, because one of having to go through the impact crater every bloody time. To face Ridley again, I had to walk like right from my ship. It was too much work to get to a boss I despised facing in the first place.

BlueLegs

Kiriku said:
Oh, come on...the Metroid games are more than just backtracking. And I'm convinced it would be possible to make a Metroid about exploration without relying too much on backtracking. Look at Metroid Fusion, for example, which happens to be the best Metroid game I've played in years, or probably ever. There wasn't much backtracking in that game, unless you wanted to find every small little secret.
Are you sure you were playing fusion???? Most of the game was going to one area discovering you can't go any further and then coming back their later to go through that different path.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BlueLegs said:
Are you sure you were playing fusion???? Most of the game was going to one area discovering you can't go any further and then coming back their later to go through that different path.

Yes, there was backtracking, I'm not denying that, but you were usually limited to backtrack within a certain area rather than the whole map since the game was split up into different areas in a more structured and defined way than other Metroid games.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Do The Mario said:
Just because i think retro can reduce the back tracking doesn't mean i hate the game, it's just ONE! Problem i have with it!!!

"Backtracking" is the core of Metroid. A level-less playing field, a game in which you progress by simply building up your skills and abilities is much more dynamic. Asking them to pull it out is like asking Samus to take off the suit for parts of the game.

MoxManiac

Asking them to pull it out is like asking Samus to take off the suit for parts of the game.

I'm not opposed to that. :O

Anyways, I didn't think Prime's final boss was that hard, just took awhile. I think it took me two tries to beat it, though.

BlueLegs

Kiriku said:
Yes, there was backtracking, I'm not denying that, but you were usually limited to backtrack within a certain area rather than the whole map since the game was split up into different areas in a more structured and defined way than other Metroid games.
Which is part of the reason it was panned by most of the Metroid fans, cause it was to linear and almost un-metroid because of its lack of exploration. (not me though, i loved fusion :D) Back tracking is what metroid games are all about, finding that hard to find hole in the ground over the other side of the planet which allows you access to whatever is half the fun, that's what differentiated metroid from the likes of contra and the like, with out it you just have another adventure game (or in Primes' case, just another FPS)

What do Metroid: Echoes, Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, Jak 3, Zelda Reborn and perhaps even Halo 2(since the first had it a tinsy bit, although that was different since in the others the gameplay evolves and changes and in Halo the levels were more or less recycled) all have?

...drumroll...

"Backtracking!"

"...Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah ...."

Deg

Banned
vitaflo said:

Last boss is abit tough. Not exactly that hard however unless you dont have many energy tanks etc.

I personally had an awesome time fighting prime.

however the hardest bitch fight in MP for me were:

a) THARDUS on hard
b) Ridley on normal + hard

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
What do Metroid: Echoes, Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, Jak 3, Zelda Reborn and perhaps even Halo 2(since the first had it a tinsy bit, although that was different since in the others the gameplay evolves and changes and in Halo the levels were more or less recycled) all have?

Yes they all have back tracking but it's done very differently in each game, also in other posts i stated that they should reduce the amount of back tracking, it would be impossible to remove it!

I would simply prefer more new areas to explore rather then keep exploring old areas again and again! There could be plenty of secrets that require the player to explore every inch of every level which is a great but walking down the same corridor 20+ times where the fun and what is is the point? Why can’t you skip past it?

There is a big difference between backtracking and exploring!

Nintendo is really good at creating gameplay where even with a linear path to your destination there's a lot of things fun in and of themselves not entirely related to that destination. And with Metroid there are often a couple of paths to your destination(in Prime at least), tons of secret areas, and with each new weapon and item your gameplay evolves as over the duration of Prime do the enemies and the degree to which you can sink your teeth into each exquisite and artfully designed room and corridoor.

Teddman

The backtracking in Prime was significantly more annoying than in the 2D Metroid games due to the lack of speed boots, space jump, and screw attack. Think about it, these three things are what speed along late-game backtracking in the Metroid series. And the fact that it just takes more time to traverse a 3D world, including loading screens (elevators).

Top Bottom