• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

Regiruler

Is there any way to remove the colluss's mask other than with a super missile (and the catapult you conveniently get in your encounter with it in mission 5)?

Just finished. I played entirely solo. It took me about 12 hours. I took my time and explored for mods and other secrets, but didn't bother replaying missions. Overall it was alright... The second half of the game was definitely much stronger with more interesting missions, and some moments that even almost felt like I was playing a Metroid Prime title.

I really have to wonder what happened with this title though. After the brilliant Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (a strong contender for best 3DS game), I thought Next Level was well on their way to being an A-tier studio for Nintendo, but this title fell short of their past efforts overall. I wonder how much of it had to do with Tanabe. But a lot of the game felt really unimaginative and boring. Or perhaps it's just best played with others. I do plan to co op the game with a friend of mine once he purchases the game eventually, but overall I am slightly disappointed, and I say that as someone who was excited for the game despite all the bullshit surrounding the game.

There definitely were some great bosses, setpieces, and atmosphere at times though. Overall maybe a 6/10. Not terrible, not amazing.

Couple of questions...

- I get the impression the Mods function similar to Monster Hunter Jewels, where you gets effects and stat boosts, other than the ones that give you secondary weapons. Is that more or less correct?
- Do you always have the Power Shot/Charge Shot as your main weapon, or do you unlock other options?
- Can you only customise the mech's skin, or are there other options? Like different body part designs.

Couple of questions...

- I get the impression the Mods function similar to Monster Hunter Jewels, where you gets effects and stat boosts, other than the ones that give you secondary weapons. Is that more or less correct?
- Do you always have the Power Shot/Charge Shot as your main weapon, or do you unlock other options?
- Can you only customise the mech's skin, or are there other options? Like different body part designs.

- It's mostly stat boosts or adding an effect, like making decoys do damage to enemies. There's also ones that reduces your ammo useage, allow you to auto recover, etc.
-I'm about halfway through and it's always Power/Charge as far as I'm aware. There's a good amount of AUX weapons though (various missiles and elemental attacks).
-Only the skin.

Users on gamefaqs say that there's a bonus for beating solo missions without lone wolf. Can someone verify?

Gamexplain Q&A of the game said that not using the lone wolf gives you a score bonus after each mission in order to get medals.

Speaking of which, do you guys think that is actually possible to get 3 medals in all the missions just playing alone?

Regiruler

Gamexplain Q&A of the game said that not using the lone wolf gives you a score bonus after each mission in order to get medals.

Speaking of which, do you guys think that is actually possible to get 3 medals in all the missions just playing alone?

In quite a few of them, triple medal is pretty doable, or even easier (e.g. mission 6).

Regiruler

Hardball is a pain in the ass to get triple solo, and because it's so early noobs usually fill random rooms. Anybody up for a 3 medal run of Mission 2?

How does the score and medal system work? As far as I'm concerned you get bonuses by finishing the level within a specified time and by achieving a special challenge. Is it necessary to do both things in the same playthrough of a mission in order to get the score required to obtain the three medals? Or is your highest score saved and buffed if you accomplish the time trial or the challenge in future playthroughs?

Regiruler

How does the score and medal system work? As far as I'm concerned you get bonuses by finishing the level within a specified time and by achieving a special challenge. Is it necessary to do both things in the same playthrough of a mission in order to get the score required to obtain the three medals? Or is your highest score saved and buffed if you accomplish the time trial or the challenge in future playthroughs?
The bonuses just add on to the score for that run.

It's not required, but it's hard for most levels.

Regiruler

Had a moron who kept shooting the missiles in black hole... on hard mode.

3mLydMU.png

He caused two nukes and would have wiped us each time if I wasn't wearing reinforced armor (which broke by the way you piece of shit, 50% too). Thank God almighty my Split Warhead didn't break too.

bart64

Banned
Just finished. I played entirely solo. It took me about 12 hours. I took my time and explored for mods and other secrets, but didn't bother replaying missions. Overall it was alright... The second half of the game was definitely much stronger with more interesting missions, and some moments that even almost felt like I was playing a Metroid Prime title.

I'm sorry you had to do it in single player first, it's a whole different game in multiplayer. Just got the third expansion with a team of three, and three medals--felt great.

So far it's less frustrating and more atmospheric than triforce heroes. I have nothing else to compare it to so to me it's the best online co-op shooter there is. Problem is it took a couple hours to really get settled in, but it really is slick and sophisticated, gameplay is spot on.

I have only played this single player so far but this is surprisingly good, and with MP will be even better. It's got some cool atmosphere, nice missions, and smooth controls. For a handheld FPS style game, it might be the most accessible and controllable out of the few I've played. Yeah, yeah its not METROID persay, but this neat little FPS spin off set in that world isn't half bad.

bart64

Banned
Yeah, this game delivers. The multiplayer puzzle variety and polish, the precision aim bosses, the mods and item system, all outstanding. Now I'm pissed at all the whining, this game deserved better and I feel bad for doubting it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yeah, this game delivers. The multiplayer puzzle variety and polish, the precision aim bosses, the mods and item system, all outstanding. Now I'm pissed at all the whining, this game deserved better and I feel bad for doubting it.
With the positive impressions out in the open now, hopefully EU and Asia know better and buy the game /waits for sep 02

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I impulse (drunk) bought this on the e-shop last night. I didn't like the demo much, but love Metroid. I just played through the tutorial and first two missions solo and I'm pleasantly suprised so far.

I may need to look into a grip though as games that use the shoulder buttons a lot on my N3DSXL kill my hands.

Edit: Just ordered this grip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018VAEXD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The grip helped a lot with hand cramping, though didn't totally eliminate it.

I'm still enjoying this well enough. It's not great, but glad I grabbed around launch as it's not much fun solo and the online community will probably die fast for running missions with 4 people.

Finally was able to get two copies for 50$ so we can try this out, been doing the tutorial and it feels good so far, let's see how this turns out....

So is there matchmaking for multiplayer? Or, since I'm a 36 year old dad of 2 with no other gamers nearby, am I exclusively relegated to single player?

Nicko

The grip helped a lot with hand cramping, though didn't totally eliminate it.

I'm still enjoying this well enough. It's not great, but glad I grabbed around launch as it's not much fun solo and the online community will probably die fast for running missions with 4 people.

Just a FYI for anyone using a grip: this game is compatible with the circle pad pro, which makes it significantly more comfortable to play.

Vena

So is there matchmaking for multiplayer? Or, since I'm a 36 year old dad of 2 with no other gamers nearby, am I exclusively relegated to single player?

Hum? it will give you teammates. You don't need to know people to play with them, I don't think. (I have admittedly on been playing with friends or Blastball.)

Regiruler

You create either friend or public lobbies and friends or randoms (respectively) see your lobby in a list of all lobbies open, with the mission listed, how many people are currently in the lobby, and how many medals you have (i.e. a rough progression number for other people).

By the same token, you can see all public lobbies (that have fewer than 4) that you are eligible for, and any eligible friend lobbies from someone on your friend list.

We've been having a good time with this so far, I like that even within levels there are story elements you can read if you want to. The artstyle while looking generic in media for the game comes across as pretty cute overall in game and the 3d effect looks good as well. We both enjoy the gyro controls and of course the randomness that happens when you play with anonymous people. Good times 🙃

Z3M0G

MAN

Just did my first run, and solo, of M20 and in the final room I had a wave of mobs chasing me while I had only 3 health remaining and no health capsules left... got off that final shot for the mission win.

INTENSE

Z3M0G

I'm at mission 12 or 13, the one with the shitty giant turtle boss, and I can safely declare this game a disappointment.

For some reason I had a much easier time at this solo than with a group of 4 in which we lost... I cake-walked it solo..

Fire super missiles in its mouth.
They spawn during the battle.

Edit: The mission variety is what makes me love this game so much. There actual "generic shooters" (I can't believe anyone ever called this game that) just have you shoot dudes in a linear path every level.

Regiruler

For some reason I had a much easier time at this solo than with a group of 4 in which we lost... I cake-walked it solo..

Fire super missiles in its mouth.
They spawn during the battle.

If you give the thing an inch it starts getting really pissy and shooting all sorts of shit at you.

Yet it's down in about 30 seconds with a good cycle.

There's no middle ground.

Regiruler

Lightning chains in Mainframe's first phase, how the fuck did I not realize this.

Maybe it only chains on kills and you need a damage amp (i.e. lone wolf or aux damage) to do it?

bart64

Banned
I'm at mission 12 or 13, the one with the shitty giant turtle boss, and I can safely declare this game a disappointment.

No, I'll keep playing. I'm not saying the whole game is shit. I think it's a solid concept that would have been much better served on a console.

What did you not like about that boss? My group died the first time, then the second time took it out in record time. It was cool seeing everyone find their role and work together.

I'm not sure how this would be any better on a console other than the reasons any game would be better--better graphics, sound, control.

Correct. Any other amiibo will give you the same generic skin, so samus, zss, and any other amiibo will give you all the main game skins.

The support for blast ball is a bit wider.

I just saw that Blast Ball and the main game paint jobs are separate, strange.

So a few days before I got this game I tried going online with the Blast Ball demo and kept getting an error message. I figured the demo just wasn't able to go online anymore for whatever reason..... Now I just tried joining an online Blast Ball match with the full game and I keep getting error messages, is this happening for anyone else?

I got this partially out of annoyance with the reactions, but having played it all, I was very pleasantly surprised. Now, I haven't replayed Hunters in a long time, but I think I can safely say that this is a much more successful portable Prime endeavor.

I can definitely see the connection between this game and Dark Moon. Both are portable distillations of larger maze-like console titles. Next Level Games is known for their animation, but also their focus on small objective-based missions (even including the challenge conditions in Punch Out!!) One advantage Fed Force has is each mission takes place in its own map, avoiding some of Dark Moon's repetition. The blocky background style also carries over from DM, but I'd say in works better in a large-scale sci-fi environment as opposed to the dollhouse setup of Luigi's Mansion. While Dark Moon is still overall the better game, it feels like they learned some lessons from that experience.

So yeah, good game with good variety.

Top Bottom