• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

Glad to see other people being able to pick this up, we've been having alot of fun with it both co op with two player local and online with others.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Killed by an Ice Titan. KILLED BY AN ICE TITAN. damit.

My n3DS needs to arrive sooner - this game is really pushing my 'stay in the centre' abilities.

I am struggling a bit with the n3ds nub, i play inverted so find it hard to look up someimtes.

setting aiming to gyro when locked on is gdlk

blu

BTW, I really love the atmosphere nuances NLG have put in this game. Like how Federation tech is clearly inferior to Chozo tech, as shown in every possible aspect, from crudeness of machinery shapes, to interfaces, to the elevator retrieval procedure.

TheMoon

I figured out I shouldn't be playing this in bed. An upright sitting position makes this way way easier to play.

man, after failing two times I used the lone wolf mod on mission 11. I've never used it before and now I feel pretty bad. It feels like cheating.

Simbabbad

Getting all three medals seems to be meticulously calculated (no surprise after Luigi's Mansion). Is it better in multiplayer or solo to get them?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this game. Just deleted it. Missions range from ok at best to fucking terrible and I've got too many good games in the backlog to waste time on games I'm not loving.

Glad some of you are enjoying it. I need to delete my credit card from my consoles do I stop drunk impulse buying games I don't really want.

Regiruler

Fuck this game. Just deleted it. Missions range from ok at best to fucking terrible and I've got too many good games in the backlog to waste time on games I'm not loving.

Glad some of you are enjoying it. I need to delete my credit card from my consoles do I stop drunk impulse buying games I don't really want.
Out of curiosity, which missions did you have a poor time with?

blu

Getting all three medals seems to be meticulously calculated (no surprise after Luigi's Mansion). Is it better in multiplayer or solo to get them?
I've noticed that as well. Gold is really tricky.

Dingens

Multiplayer by a long shot.

That's what I feared the most...
I don't have time for a game like this right now but would like to jump in in a month or so... but by then online is probably a dessert :(
Would it be worth it if single player is my only option?

Piichan

Banned
I beat the game last night. The game is good when it works, but overall it's pretty bad, mostly because of balancing issues. When playing the game alone it can be borderline impossible, but when playing in a 4 man team it can be easy as hell. Also, online interactions can be really frustrating, especially when you have a dumbass on the team. (Why don't you come to the rendezvous point when there's a countdown going on ahhhhhhh. Thanks for wasting 15 minutes of my life dumb shit.)

It's like Triforce Heroes, but worse, because at least Triforce Heroes was more manageable to play alone. Honestly, I think Next Level Games is capable of making a decent Metroid game. But this game is fundamentally flawed in its concept. Metroid does not need a mission based co-op spin off game.

man, after failing two times I used the lone wolf mod on mission 11. I've never used it before and now I feel pretty bad. It feels like cheating.

I beat the game last night. The game is good when it works, but overall it's pretty bad, mostly because of balancing issues. When playing the game alone it can be borderline impossible, but when playing in a 4 man team it can be easy as hell. Also, online interactions can be really frustrating, especially when you have a dumbass on the team. (Why don't you come to the rendezvous point when there's a countdown going on ahhhhhhh. Thanks for wasting 15 minutes of my life dumb shit.)

It's like Triforce Heroes, but worse, because at least Triforce Heroes was more manageable to play alone. Honestly, I think Next Level Games is capable of making a decent Metroid game. But this game is fundamentally flawed in its concept. Metroid does not need a mission based co-op spin off game.

Which is it? Cheating or impossible?

You three medalled everything Piichan?

TheMoon

edit: ah yes, no we have "it's a better TFH!" and "it's worse than TFH" ... I love games that are both better and worse and than some other thing :D

I've been replaying M01 over and over (only one I've played so far) trying to get all three. It turns into a Star Fox game on foot with how you calculate the charged shots for bonus points optimize your route. Fascinating. (of course I missed less than 300 points in my best run because I fucked up on the first set of shriekbats lol)

Simbabbad

I've been replaying M01 over and over (only one I've played so far) trying to get all three. It turns into a Star Fox game on foot with how you calculate the charged shots for bonus points optimize your route. Fascinating. (of course I missed less than 300 points in my best run because I fucked up on the first set of shriekbats lol)
It is indeed Star Fox on foot. Remember shooting boxes gives you some score. The first boss can be killed in one shot with a Super Missile, which saves a lot of time.

I thought I'd make a guide for those that haven't used discord before. It's a free client that is basically skype/teamspeak that will hopefully allow us to play a few games together. Can be used in browser, its own client or on mobile.

First visit:

Discord Website

Once downloaded at left of the screen you'll see this:

dac00d30a4.png

Click it and it will give you this:

f8757e485c.png

Click join server and type paste in the invite I posted earlier into this:

1cd27b9fc6.png

And it's as easy as that.

Hidden it in this message

TheMoon

It is indeed Star Fox on foot. Remember shooting boxes gives you some score. The first boss can be killed in one shot with a Super Missile, which saves a lot of time.

Boxes give points? Missed that somehow.

I haven't figured why I can't pick up things mid-mission sometimes. Is it still weight-based like in the pre-mission menu? I couldn't pick up the super missile that you can grab after the indoor segment despite firing off a bunch of regular missiles trying to make room. Did I miss a space/weight indicator somewhere?

blu

I'm 309 points short of gold on M01. And I thought I did great on that run (had saved heaps of flame AUX for the titan which died in an instant), until the scoring screen came, and I saw I was 7 minutes short of target time : /

TheMoon

I'm 309 points short of gold on the M01. And I thought I did great on that run (had saved heaps of flame AUX for the titan which died in an instant), until the scoring screen came, and I saw I was 7 minutes short of target time : /

7 minutes? :O

I got my 3 medals since then btw. Always just went in with Lone Wolf and the Fire ammo + whatever missiles I could fit so I didn't have to waste time shooting crates.

This game has the Link-roll/side-hop thing going, btw. Walk sideways and use the dash/evade move. :D

Riposte

Boxes give points? Missed that somehow.

I haven't figured why I can't pick up things mid-mission sometimes. Is it still weight-based like in the pre-mission menu? I couldn't pick up the super missile that you can grab after the indoor segment despite firing off a bunch of regular missiles trying to make room. Did I miss a space/weight indicator somewhere?

I think he means loot boxes. I usually aim to reach those first, since multiplayer is kind of competitive when it comes to having the highest score.

TheMoon

I think he means loot boxes. I usually aim to reach those first, since multiplayer is kind of competitive when it comes to having the highest score.

Oh the things that give you MODs? Which don't look like boxes at all, though? :D

We need to make this clear:

When I hear "box" I think these boxes that give you ammo, repair kits.
Those containers that you shoot so they open and give you MODs (only thing I've gotten out of them so far) is not a "box" to me.

Do we all mean the same thing?

I'm 309 points short of gold on M01. And I thought I did great on that run (had saved heaps of flame AUX for the titan which died in an instant), until the scoring screen came, and I saw I was 7 minutes short of target time : /

I tried that a bunch of times. Finally got it by
using a Super Missile on the Hopper Nest and then getting another one out of an ammo crate afterwards and using that on the Ice Titan.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, which missions did you have a poor time with?

I quit on 13. That one's just terrible solo with having to keep the ball thing from flying away when you have to fight pirates, and I couldn't stomach waiting for randoms after taking several attempts with shitty randoms to get through 11 and 12.

Honestly the only mission I really liked was the early one that was puzzle focused with having to find the balls and roll them into place. Everything else was just boring or annoying to me.

I had very low expectations for this and still ended up disappointed. But like I said, I'm glad some are liking it and won't say more as that's not what OTs are for and I hate arguing over game opinions.

Regiruler

I quit on 13. That one's just terrible solo with having to keep the ball thing from flying away when you have to fight pirates, and I couldn't stomach waiting for randoms after taking several attempts with shitty randoms to get through 11 and 12.
You know you can have the drones carry the architect, right?

Simbabbad

No, mod capsules and crates both give points when destroyed.
Indeed, mod capsules do give points when shot (not much, but still). When I first checked, I probably watched my score when I picked up the MOD and not when I shot the capsule. Sorry about that.

Lost a MOD because I quit when the one other guy I played with stopped moving :-\ that sucks. The console rebooted when I tried to find an online game, too.

Got the three medals on M01 in multiplayer with two Japanese guys and one English speaking guy. Good atmosphere, that was fun.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You know you can have the drones carry the architect, right?

Lol. Nope. I probably forgot to even take drones with me that attempt as I was so pissed at the shitty randoms that made 11 and 12 take a few attempts each and at myself for buying and wasting time on this game when I have many truly great games in my backlog I should be playing.

I'm just very much in a if I'm not liking a game at a personal 8-10/10 level it's getting ditched mode as my time is too limited to play anything less. I just need to stop doing buying games that don't fit that. It's really only an issue on Nintendo platforms as my nostalgia leads me to hope I'll enjoy their games more than I usually do the past couple of generations outside of their cream of the crop mainline entries.

Darcotik

Banned
This game is constantly criticized for trivial reasons - no Samus, ugly design... - whereas this is much more serious than that. MPFF is the Zelda Triforce Heroes of FPS ; it's just boring and barely unplayable in solo, and the whole experience varies extremely based on players you meet online. In fact, the only way to make this game interesting (for example by making decent scoring) lives in its local multiplayer, but it's definitely not the demographics aimed by the soft. What a waste.

I am very rarely disappointed by a Nintendo game, but MPFF (like ZTF but at least this one had some charm in it) is a mess. It's badly thought at the very beginning, and it's not Next Level fault ; Nintendo's stupidity is fully involved, because Splatoon's success made them imagine that every game now must be transformed into an online coop title. And at the same time, they want you to think that you can play that in solo : it's just a massive lie. I don't care about the lack of Samus, the main problem is that Metroid was never intended to be a coop experience. I'm not your average hater, I liked Star Fox Zero, I accepted foolery like Kirby's Rainbow (when you buy an HD game to play on SD GamePad) but seriously get a brain now, you are completely stupid Nintendo.

TheMoon

and it's not Next Level fault ; Nintendo's stupidity is fully involved, because Splatoon's success made them imagine that every game now must be transformed into an online coop title. And at the same time, they want you to think that you can play that in solo : it's just a massive lie.

yea no. this is not how things work lol. both games were in dev long long long before splatoon was a massive success or even out. MPFF started as a DSi game. as for TFH, I bet they knew about Splatoon's success too already when they made Four Swords/FSA 13 years ago.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the comparison to Triforce Heroes is very apt. Just boring (IMO) coop games that were made spinoffs from popular series to help boost sales. But hey, I bought both so that whole fool me twice shame on me thing. I think I've finally learned my lessen and can just accept that Nintendo is only good for two or three games a year for me anymore as I'm not into all of their big franchises, hardly any of their lesser ones and none of the spinoffs.

My tastes have just shifted too far away from most of their types of games so it's really just a mainline Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Metroid (if they ever truly get back to it) machine for me going forward, with occasional surprises like Splatoon and some second tier stuff like Star Fox.

Simbabbad

I accepted foolery like Kirby's Rainbow (when you buy an HD game to play on SD GamePad)
Off topic, but I fail to see the issue with a company releasing a touch screen game for its "touch screen as main feature" console. This game wouldn't have been possible in any other configuration, it would have been much worse on 3DS, and if Nintendo hadn't released games that stand on the touch screen, people would have complained about that, too. Besides, the playing configuration of this game had been made clear from the very start - don't like it, don't buy it and play something else, there's no shortage of games.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best games on Wii U. I sold StarFox Zero, Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101 and Yoshi's Woolly World, and I deleted Mario Kart 8 entirely from my Wii U memory to save space (I stopped playing it, don't care for it), but I treasure Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. It was pretty tough, too, the challenges in particular.

blu

7 minutes? :O

I got my 3 medals since then btw. Always just went in with Lone Wolf and the Fire ammo + whatever missiles I could fit so I didn't have to waste time shooting crates.

This game has the Link-roll/side-hop thing going, btw. Walk sideways and use the dash/evade move. :D
I refuse to submit to Lone Wolf so early in the game ; )

I tried that a bunch of times. Finally got it by
using a Super Missile on the Hopper Nest and then getting another one out of an ammo crate afterwards and using that on the Ice Titan.
Makes sense. But
Super Missile
is beyond my load capacity : / I guess I'll return to that mission later.

This game is constantly criticized for trivial reasons - no Samus, ugly design... - whereas this is much more serious than that. MPFF is the Zelda Triforce Heroes of FPS ; it's just boring and barely unplayable in solo, and the whole experience varies extremely based on players you meet online. In fact, the only way to make this game interesting (for example by making decent scoring) lives in its local multiplayer, but it's definitely not the demographics aimed by the soft. What a waste.

I am very rarely disappointed by a Nintendo game, but MPFF (like ZTF but at least this one had some charm in it) is a mess. It's badly thought at the very beginning, and it's not Next Level fault ; Nintendo's stupidity is fully involved, because Splatoon's success made them imagine that every game now must be transformed into an online coop title. And at the same time, they want you to think that you can play that in solo : it's just a massive lie. I don't care about the lack of Samus, the main problem is that Metroid was never intended to be a coop experience. I'm not your average hater, I liked Star Fox Zero, I accepted foolery like Kirby's Rainbow (when you buy an HD game to play on SD GamePad) but seriously get a brain now, you are completely stupid Nintendo.
I think ZTF is ace, and K:RC was my GOTY, so I guess your observations are not as universally-valid as you think ; )

TheMoon

Makes sense. But
Super Missile
is beyond my load capacity : / I guess I'll return to that mission later.

One of them is right outside the room with the nest (on your way back when that one gooey wall is gone).

The project wasn't 4players online coop at the time.

So you're saying that about a week or so after Splatoon came out and they revealed this game at E3 they quickly threw together a co-op game because Splatoon seemed to have caught on? :)

You're free to dislike the game but please don't make up silly stories like this to have something to direct your frustrations towards.

Regiruler

Indeed, mod capsules do give points when shot (not much, but still). When I first checked, I probably watched my score when I picked up the MOD and not when I shot the capsule. Sorry about that.

Lost a MOD because I quit when the one other guy I played with stopped moving :- that sucks. The console rebooted when I tried to find an online game, too.

Got the three medals on M01 in multiplayer with two Japanese guys and one English speaking guy. Good atmosphere, that was fun.
The voice language doesn't mean anything. I was Italian for weeks and I just swapped to german.

Simbabbad

The voice language doesn't mean anything. I was Italian for weeks and I just swapped to german.
That's why I said "two Japanese guys and one English speaking guy", said Japanese guys having Japanese names with Japanese symbols.

Is it important?

Regiruler

That's why I said "two Japanese guys and one English speaking guy", said Japanese guys having Japanese names with Japanese symbols.

Is it important?
Not really, just thought it was a weird choice of descriptor.

In other news, I found out you can get an extra bonus for getting 8 pods in uplink as opposed to the normal bonus for 7.

I'm having a difficult time with the controls. When in gyro mode, I'm wanting to look around with the right stick like any other first person game and it won't let me. In the alternate control mode, I get frustrated trying to aim when it locks on to the wrong thing. I really wish they could patch in stylus controls. I got really good at aiming on hunters and I feel like I'm just fighting the controls playing this game and not getting to enjoy it at all.

Regiruler

I will give you that the game could use a target swap button.

Although in a lot of cases you can just kill whatever you accidentally locked on to then go on your way.

blu

Ok, several missions in and I think the game is simply beautiful. I doesn't exude of high-res textures, but it has the right amount of details to convey three completely-different atmospheres.

true Gek

The game bombed even in Europe... Or at least in the UK :'(

I'm very sad for NLG, FF it's a good product and doesn't deserve this king of treatment.

EDIT: ASAP I will add my friend code ^__^

TheMoon

The game bombed even in Europe... Or at least in the UK :'(

None of their games do well in the UK unless they're top-tier stuff like Mario. UK is especially horrible and the reason I bang my head against the wall whenever someone takes their UK performance as indicative of all of Europe.

It's really no surprise that the game is doing poorly everywhere with all the toxic waste people dumped on it since its reveal.

Top Bottom