• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt - First Screen

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That's the one someone's lightened guys, you'll have to follow the link. And sadly the resized one (which was still too big) doesn't seem to be showing anymore, so you'll have to put up with IGN's ridiculously blown up images.

I think it looks good anyway, but wait till you see it in motion, it's way beyond what some of you are suggesting.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Mama Smurf said:
Hah, yes. I haven't heard anyone complain about the GBAs sound in a long, long time.

But you have to agree the sound quality for GBA is kind of crap at times...the sound seemed to take the biggest hit in graphically intense games. I don't want a handheld with sound that is "good for a handheld". I want really good sound this time around. NDS with GBA sound? 3D adventure games with cheap MIDI music? The horror. Not that I think it will happen, but still. :p

How good will the sound for NDS be anyway? Has anything been said about the sound chip etc?

Mama Smurf

I know it's stero, so that's a plus.

I really don't give a crap about the sound's quality. I know lots of people do, but personally I just want good tunes. Generally I prefer SNES tunes to orchestrated music, there's just something about those simpler sounds I love.

It's almost like they put more effort into getting the tunes right as they new the sound quality couldn't be.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I dunno if you guys know this, but you can actually switch from regular controls to touch screen controls. so its not like they totally took that idea out.

WTF!

huntersnds.jpg

Every one of you twats that thought that shot looked good needs to have the Nintendo googles bitch slapped off of your rotting noggins.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mama Smurf said:
I know it's stero, so that's a plus.

I really don't give a crap about the sound's quality. I know lots of people do, but personally I just want good tunes. Generally I prefer SNES tunes to orchestrated music, there's just something about those simpler sounds I love.

It's almost like they put more effort into getting the tunes right as they new the sound quality couldn't be.

Seriously? Not only is the sound quality of the GBA shit, most of the games I've played don't even have catchy/well composed music. >_<

Not only that, part of the problem is that most games sound closer to NES quality than SNES quality. The SNES soundchip destroys the GBA soundchip...

At least the GC sounds good. After N64 and GBA, I was worried that Nintendo just didn't care about sound at all. Of course, Nintendo's own music isn't very good these days (Prime's score is the only one that really impressed me)...so maybe they really do not care about sound.

Every one of you twats that thought that shot looked good needs to have the Nintendo googles bitch slapped off of your rotting noggins.

Like I initially said, the game looks poor in screenshots...but it rather impressive in motion. It scoots along at 60 fps and is fully 3D. Certainly more impressive than any FPS titles I've seen on the last generation of consoles. Of course, we know little about map size and complexity...so there might be a reason (similar to why Outtrigger holds 60 fps on DC).

aoi tsuki

Lost Weekend said:
I'm wondering about this myself. That one NDS shooter game by Shin'en (Nano something or another) uses the WLAN for multiplay also. I do see that becoming the standard way to multiplay. If that is so, and since the NDS can accept both GBA and NDS games at the same time, (and since Nintendo has said that they're talking to wireless companies for software development as well) couldn't someone make a cart that works like Warppipe and turns LAN play into internet play?
WLAN is probably the only way to play multiplayer on DS. If the Nintendo protocol is Bluetooth, it's possible it would have the bandwidth necessary to play multiplayer games, as the NGage uses BT for multiplayer (up to 16 players IIRC). Frankly, i'd rather have the option to use it since it, again, assuming it's BT, would consume much less power, and a range of 30 meters is completely functional.

Using the DS to play others online would require that the DS WiFi be in infrastructure mode to connect to an access point like a wireless router. Normally, the DS would be in ad hoc mode to connect directly to another DS. This will probably all be transparent to the gamer, or at most, there'll be an option to play local multiplayer (ad hoc) or internet multiplayer (infrastructure). The latter would also require some tunneling software to connect users via IP, like Warp Pipe.

Insertia said:
huntersnds.jpg

*shakes head*

some of you have terribly low standards.
It looks okay. When i first saw shots of the game, i was a little impressed because i wasn't, for whatever reason, expecting much from DS 3D. It's not like Nintendo really pushed the graphic abilities of the system that much, so there wasn't much room for letdown, unlike with the PSP.

Mama Smurf

dark10x said:
Seriously? Not only is the sound quality of the GBA shit, most of the games I've played don't even have catchy/well composed music. >_<

Not only that, part of the problem is that most games sound closer to NES quality than SNES quality. The SNES soundchip destroys the GBA soundchip...

At least the GC sounds good. After N64 and GBA, I was worried that Nintendo just didn't care about sound at all. Of course, Nintendo's own music isn't very good these days (Prime's score is the only one that really impressed me)...so maybe they really do not care about sound.

I didn't say the GBA necessarily has good tunes, just that I don't care if it's orchestrated music or 8-bit as long as the tune is good.

I agree that Nintendo's GC composition hasn't been the best...Mario Sunshine did nothing for me and I think Wind Waker had about 2 good tunes. Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion and Prime are excellent though, and Pikmin is ok. Kirby's Air Ride might have good music, I wouldn't know as I've not played. Kirby games normally sound brilliant though.

And for the last time, that shot has been lightened out of all proportion and is bigger than the actual screen size (so things are stretched a bit). Wait until you see vidoes.

dark10x said:
Like I initially said, the game looks poor in screenshots...but it rather impressive in motion. It scoots along at 60 fps and is fully 3D.

Dude, I saw it in person at E3. It was 60FPS of CRAP!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mama Smurf said:
I didn't say the GBA necessarily has good tunes, just that I don't care if it's orchestrated music or 8-bit as long as the tune is good.

I agree that Nintendo's GC composition hasn't been the best...Mario Sunshine did nothing for me and I think Wind Waker had about 2 good tunes. Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion and Prime are excellent though, and Pikmin is ok. Kirby's Air Ride might have good music, I wouldn't know as I've not played. Kirby games normally sound brilliant though.

And for the last time, that shot has been lightened out of all proportion and is bigger than the actual screen size (so things are stretched a bit). Wait until you see vidoes.

Orchestrated music isn't very common, though. I huge number of PS2 games use sequenced audio (similar to MOD/MIDI), for example, which can sound nearly as good as orchestrated music in some cases (Onimusha, for example). Sometimes you even get combinations of the two. Xenosaga, for example, has 7 orchestrated songs while the rest are sequenced.

The game looks pretty good, but why the hell isn't there filtering going in that shot? Or is the system really incapable of texture filtering? Without that, the games are going to end up looking closer to Build engine or 3D Saturn games rather than even a Voodoo 1 stuff. Hopefully, that's an old shot. Why go 3D in 2004 and not have decent filtering from 1997?

DSN2K said:
looksgood.jpg

looks fine when its not brightened up.

No. It's just darker looking crap!

MightyHedgehog said:
The game looks pretty good, but why the hell isn't there filtering going in that shot? Or is the system really incapable of texture filtering? Without that, the games are going to end up looking closer to Build engine or 3D Saturn games rather than even a Voodoo 1 stuff. Hopefully, that's an old shot. Why go 3D in 2004 and not have decent filtering from 1997?

DS is obviously not capable of texture filtering. No DS shots so far has shown anything resembling bi-linear filtering.

Lost Weekend said:
Looks great in motion to me. You should probably just buy a PSP. Somebody's gonna have to
:)

Hold still so I can bitch slap that goggle off of ya.

Well, I suppose devs will have to employ some software filtering. Best software filtering from PS1 I've ever seen was Neon's Tunnel B-1 on the PS1. It sort of jittered the image a little to achieve a pretty nice smoothing effect. I'm sure something like that will be employed before too long. Still, not including hardware-based filtering nowadays is kinda WTF?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shogmaster said:
No. It's just darker looking crap!

DS is obviously not capable of texture filtering. No DS shots so far has shown anything resembling bi-linear filtering.

Hold still so I can bitch slap that goggle off of ya.

You can try it, but you might want to remove the PSP from your ass first!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shogmaster said:
Dude, what makes you think I'm gonna get that overpriced 2 hour battery POS! Get off my testicles.

GDGF don't swing that way dude. Why are you bringing up your testicles in a videogame thread anyway? That's very gay.

Anyway, before I get myself banned BACK ON TOPIC!

The storyline sounds pretty sweet. I kinda figured they'd go the bounty hunt route. It'd really be great if they allowed you to customize your player a bit too. Stylus would be great for that.

Lost Weekend said:
GDGF don't swing that way dude. Why are you bringing up your testicles in a videogame thread anyway? That's very gay.

Anyway, before I get myself banned BACK ON TOPIC!

The storyline sounds pretty sweet. I kinda figured they'd go the bounty hunt route. It'd really be great if they allowed you to customize your player a bit too. Stylus would be great for that.

Oh shit, is that you GDGF? Never realised. As you were.

Top Bottom